MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

dual exhaust
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oiksy05

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: dual exhaust Reply with quote

has anyone ever considered dual exhaust for the MPV? how feasible would it be?
--------------------------------------------------------
2000 Silver LX, with the HUGE sunroof and kickin' stereo
1997 Saturn SW2, Dark Green
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: dual exhaust Reply with quote

True duals would go from the engine to the rear. Many duals out there today are only from the cat back, which is usually fine. Inexpensinve that way - and no need for 2 cats.

So, a cat back dual layout would be ok. Might have some issues with pipe routing and you also need to keep the backpressure in check. You might also need to do some cutting on the rear bumper to provide a lip for the other exhaust tail pipe.

Have you done any mods to the engine? Are you just looking for a more pronounced exhaust note?

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()
oiksy05

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: dual exhaust Reply with quote

no i haven't done any mods. just wondering if the V6 would benefit from a freer flowing exhaust. of course it was probably tuned for a single exhaust. and i'm just hoping and wishing on this "project"
SilverMPnyc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: dual exhaust Reply with quote

I think the Duratech would benefit more from a freer intake + larger exhaust piping (2.25" is the optimal size) with the elimination of one of the really large resonators in the middle of the exhaust route and a free flowing, mellow muffler moreso than a pseudo dual setup (duals would also add more weight as well).

BTW, you'll need to go to a body shop to make a second exhaust cutout on the bumper as well...

Here's some info:

http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=9286

2005 Subaru Outbact XT 6spd.

*RIP* 2004 Silver MPV LX
*RIP* 2003 Subaru Legacy L "Special Edition" -6 Spd. & ej205 swap vf23, 1993 Ford Taurus LX
test_drive

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: dual exhaust Reply with quote

A 3.0L v6 probably won't benefit much from true dual exhaust... we just don't move enough air. Now, if you had a big 5.0L v8, we can talk! Twisted Evil For us, a true dual would probably just add weight and cost.

Just from nosing around other Duratec based vehicle sites, I'd say the most performance benefit we could realize would be from:

1) Fuel map tuning (either piggyback or reprogram the ECU). This is because the Duratecs seem to be tuned to run waaaaay rich... on the Mazda6 v6, it gets to something like 9.5:1. If we could bring it to 12.5ish:1, we could probably get in the neighbourhood of 15 - 20 whp. We'd realize better fuel economy. And, we wouldn't get those nasty black-soot exhaust tips as much.

2) New exhaust headers. Again, from the Mazda6 sites, it's expected to gain up to 20whp by exhaust headers. This is due mainly to the pre-cats, which restrict exhaust flow (theory also says that this why Mazda runs so rich: to protect the pre-cats from high exhaust temps). The pre-cats only help your vehicles emissions for the first 30-60 seconds... after that, all they do it rob you of power and fuel economy. (thanks, EPA! Rolling Eyes ).

3) A tranny rebuild. Again, from Mazda6 sites (do you guys see a pattern here yet? Wink ). The Jatco transmission could be a little more efficient. And, the shifting program could be done to bias performance instead of power-robbing smoothness... more power would make it to the ground (instead of being wasted, heating up the ATF).

Being that this is a minivan, I think the only one I could stomach is the ECU/chip -- the others being waaaay too expensive. An intake is cheap, but by itself it probably wouldn't net you more than 5hp. NOTE: for the Mazda6 v6, there is an intake that can gain you up to 24hp and 22ft-lbs... but it comes with a MAF tuning device that leans the car out. Costs $550 US.

...now, if anybody has figured out the ECU (ala Superchips) let me know. Twisted Evil

Test_Drive

EDIT: Multiple times for English and lack of coffee.

2003 Mazda MPV LX in Coastal Blue
2005 Mazda6 v6 GT Sport in Dark Grey Metallic
oiksy05

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: dual exhaust Reply with quote

just looked underneath and it appears that it's single components all the way back. larger muffler in front of the rear axle and then a smaller one under the "trunk" why two mufflers? is one a resonator?
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: dual exhaust Reply with quote

Yup, I'd skip duals. You won't push enough exhaust for it, plus as mentioned, it'll double the weight of the system. I'd go for a 2.5" ID from the cat-back (the final cat), and put a straight through resonator after the cat, and one free-flowing muffler like a Magnaflow or the ilk. Mandrell bends all the way too, if you have a shop that does them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JMTRANSAMSD455
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: dual exhaust Reply with quote

You can try to contact BORLA in California to see if they have something in the works for a performance exhaust for the MPV. They use superior higher quality and also lighter stainless steel for their performance exhaust system. DW's 99 Grand Prix GT with SLP Ram Air and K&N filter has a high quality performance exhaust from BORLA. Not only is the system lighter, and made of better quality stainless steel than OEM GM stainless steel, but the low back pressure gives the car more horsepower and torque and lets the engine rev up much quicker than before. Jack.
2003 ES Sunlight SilverMobil 1,K&N 102,800m Hers,2015 CX-5 Grand Tour AWD2.5 Meteor Grey Mica MOLY oil29,000m2016.5Mazda CX5 TouringAWD DeepChrystalBlue MazdaMOLY GF5 Oil 29,8005m,Son,2008 MAZDA 3S TOURING 2.3L HATCH Aurora BlueK&N Mobil1 78,800m,2015 MAZDA3HATCH 2.5GT Liquid Silver 9000mMOLYOil ,2016 Subaru Forester Limited2.5AWD Quartz Blue Pearl MolyGF5Oil5,115mHers,1974 Trans Am LS-2 Bucanneer Red113Km SOLDr
Cogito Ergo Zoom
A L'il Engine that could

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: dual exhaust Reply with quote

A long time ago in a PG-13 rated galaxy far far away I posted this:

http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=2700

I still haven't done it yet, mainly because I'm hoping to see someone puts out a tuner for these things!

1987 Buick GN (10.84 @ 126 1/4 mile, never trailered)
2006 Dodge Charger R/T with R&T Pkg, a few mods
1987 Turbo Regal Limited aka my stealth GN with-- you guessed it-- a few mods.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Power Mods All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: