MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Timing Belt Replacement 94 MPV 3.0 V-6 HELP!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ctom3
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Replacement 94 MPV 3.0 V-6 HELP!!! Reply with quote

Whatever you do, do not buy a 3rd party tensioner, use an oem only. There is a long history of early failures on anything other than oem.

Review all of the stickies regarding timing belt changes. Besides the comment on buying oem tensioners only, a couple of other things should jump out. Don't try to save money by buying cheaper belts, seals, etc. Early failure of any of them will end up costing you a whole lot more than what you saved. Also, be sure to replace the idler arm bushing. Worn ones will kick the arm out of alignment and result in belt failure.

Also, try posting your questions in a new thread. Most folks on the board don't bother to look at the stickies for fresh messages since they are there for reference only.

Good luck
idahocity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Replacement 94 MPV 3.0 V-6 HELP!!! Reply with quote

i'll jjust finsih up here then jump to the regular forum. thanks for the help. i have read quite a few of your illuminating posts the last few days ctom. i was able to find oem. thanks bed and everyone on this thread. i wouldn't have even diagnosed the problem or had the courage to do it without the pictures.
the tensioner was bad, leaking fluid and i could depress it with my thumb. next on to the pcv oil leak.
[/img]

love my 1997 allsport mpv 145.xxx, 2nd owner, green
if subaru made a van for the u.s. this would be it, simple, durable, 4wd, a little underpowered and nice looking
ctom3
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Replacement 94 MPV 3.0 V-6 HELP!!! Reply with quote

I am glad we can help you. Do it right and you can forget about the timing belt for at least another 60k miles. Yeah, I'd say it's bad. I had to use a bench vise to compress mine.

As long as you are spending money and into the timing belt, replace the cam seals, water pump and hoses. I know that money can be an issue, but leaks on any of those can ruin the belt. I promise it will pay you back if you plan on keeping your MPV for a while.

Lastly, the cost of repairing or replacing a bad transmission in an older vehicle is a killer. Do the 4 quart change-out on the transmission fluid to help it live longer. There are some good threads on the subject. DO NOT have it done at a shop. The flush they do can break crud or pieces of gasket loose and create even bigger problems. The change-out is gentle on the tranny and easy to do.

Good luck!
98MPVRED

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Replacement 94 MPV 3.0 V-6 HELP!!! Reply with quote

Folks, I may attempt this myself....maybe.. Neutral
a few questions though:
1. Isn't this just a case of making sure that the Crank and Cam sprockets pointers are aligned with the same on the block? or is there an evil possibility that they can look aligned, but in fact inside the engine they are far from correct re: ignition timing?
2. Do you have to remove the Crank / Cam sprockets? I'm assuming not if you have no plans to replace seals?
3. Once I pop the timing cover...can't I just turn the engine until all 3 sprockets are correctly aligned against their respective sprocket / block pointer marks, then pull the belt and replace?

It sounds all too easy.....it can't be that easy. I have 63,000 on this belt so need to get it replaced soon.

also....on Gen1's photos....his 'right' and 'left' cam sprocket references are from the drivers seat view? otherwise they look the wrong way around if looking from the radiator view.

Thanks
Manitoba MPV
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Replacement 94 MPV 3.0 V-6 HELP!!! Reply with quote

cg -

Yes, if the cam & crank sprockets are properly lined up, you should be good to go.

A couple of tips:

Because the cam sprockets stand off from the heads quite a bit, there's a chance of parallax error if you're not viewing them dead-on.

I find that pulling the rad, and looking though the AC condensor gives a more accurate feel for this than trying to judge from above looking somewhat downwards.

I've not done this with the MPV (but will, if I ever do another one), but had good success with my last two timing belts (on a Protege 1.6 and on a Mitsu Lancer) by marking the old belt before removal where it meets the marks on the sprockets, and transferring those marks over to the new belt. A yellow paint pen works well.

Mechanics typically talk about 'left' and 'right' as viewed from the driver's seat. I would prefer to say 'driver's side' and 'passenger side', but that changes, of course, with LHD and RHD vehicles.

Good luck!

Manitoba MPV

'82 GLC 1.5 5-speed ('82 - '95); '79 GLC Sport 1.4 5-speed ('87 - '89); '85 626 2.0 5-speed ('97 - '05); '90 MPV 2WD 2.6 5-speed ('96 - '01); '95 Bawngo GL Super 9 pass 2.0 5-speed ('03 - '04); '97 AllSport 2WD 3.0 auto ('01 - ?); '01 Protege 1.6 5-speed ('05 - '13); '09 Mazda 5 GT 5-speed ('13 - ?)
98MPVRED

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Replacement 94 MPV 3.0 V-6 HELP!!! Reply with quote

Interesting, yes thanks!. I was wondering about painting marks on the belt and the exact tooth it was on before pulling the belt.

Thanks
whatsyoursguy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Replacement 94 MPV 3.0 V-6 HELP!!! Reply with quote

she survived! thanks guys
tiiguy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Replacement 94 MPV 3.0 V-6 HELP!!! Reply with quote

This is an epic post, definitely worth preserving for the ages (if only our MPV's would last that long Sad

I just finished the whole job due to leaking crank and camshaft seals and used all the info here (plus some other needed help/posts to get the crank gear off, had to drill the key a bit to get it out).

Anyway, one thing I'll add about the bushing on the tensioner pulley: Several folks mentioned the need to replace the bushing, or at least check to make sure there's no play on the pulley. I found a little play, not much but was waiting for parts anyway so ordered the bushing (dealer only, see page 1 of this post for the part #). After removing the pulley I realized that there are actually nylon bushing/inserts in the pulley hole, which the steel bushing (technically called a spacer by Mazda, I think) sits in. I feel that the nylon inserts are more likely the cause of wear than the actual spacer, as I still felt a little play even with the new spacer. Since you can't order just the nylon bushings, if there is any play, I think it's better to just replace the pulley, which I think comes with all those parts. Hope that helps.
idahocity

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Replacement 94 MPV 3.0 V-6 HELP!!! Reply with quote

Followed the instructions on this thread to do a complete timing belt job. Thank you. It was incredibly helpful. Only half the belt was left and there was oil everywhere. The drivers side cam was3 to 4 teeth past the timing mark. It was running a little rough the last couple months. We lined the can up with the mark, put it all back together, and it wouldn't start. We could smell gas but didn't even come close to turning over. My friend had the idea to fiddle with the distributor. It took some adjustments but it finally starts and runs smooth. The check engine light is off for the first time in 2 years.
Now onto the valve cover gaskets and axel replacements. Also, have a class 3 hitch I got from a pull yard I need to swap out with the 1 1/4 inch hitch. I don't know how I will do it though because I had to destroy the peeve to get it off.

if subaru made a van for the u.s. this would be it, simple, durable, 4wd, a little underpowered and nice looking
IndiWest

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Replacement 94 MPV 3.0 V-6 HELP!!! Reply with quote

Ah yes its crazy it was still running! When i did my timing setup replacement my crank was 1 tooth off...wouldn't start. Got it all back together though and she's running nicely now. I fear I might have to do a head job as well Angry, and possibly bottom end. Might just throw in a used motor as mine is at 216K miles. Anyway I did my front axles... pass side came out like butter however I had it up on stands for 1.5 weeks trying to get out the drivers side half shaft. Used a 70 inch pry....20 and 40 lb homemade chain puller thingy...tried knocking the inner CV with a BFH...finally had to buy an actual slide hammer (which I had tried before but without the CV adapter) and CV tool. Hopefully yours goes much better!! Almost thought I had to send 'the Creature' to the JY...Are you in Idaho?? I'm out in western Wyo..
'93 MPV 4wd auto w/ tow
idahocity

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Replacement 94 MPV 3.0 V-6 HELP!!! Reply with quote

I'm in Spokane now. I'm struggling with the starter now. I have it unbolted but I can't get it out yet. The axels will have to wait till august. I m going to be too busy until then. My neighbor was a mechanic until his huge cheater bar broke and destroyed his left shoulder, tore it all up inside.
hildac07

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Replacement 94 MPV 3.0 V-6 HELP!!! Reply with quote

Jordan 11
Jordan 11 Red
Timberlad Boots For Men
Pandora
Kevin Durant Shoes
Nike Shoes For Women
Nike Air Max
Louboutin Shoes
Pandora Charms Sale Clearance
Louboutin Shoes
Jordan Retro
Nike Outlet
Red Bottoms Shoes
Adidas Outlet Store
Yeezys
Pandora Charms
Puma Shoes For Men
Pandora
Christian Louboutin Shoes
Adidas Shoes For Women
Yeezy Beluga
Pandora Jewelry
Nike Shoes For Men
Pandora Jewelry Canada
Air Force 1 Shoes
Lebron Shoes
Louboutin Shoes
Pandora Bracelets
Moncler UK
Moncler UK
Chaussure Air Max 90
Longchamp
Polo Ralph Lauren
chriscomputers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Replacement 94 MPV 3.0 V-6 HELP!!! Reply with quote

I was wondering if the timing belt can be changed without removing the bottom pulley from the engine. From the pics posted on page 1 of this thread it looks like it can be done without removing the crank pulley. Just wondering if anyone who has done this job before can comment yes or no.
ploy2018

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Replacement 94 MPV 3.0 V-6 HELP!!! Reply with quote

James Harden Shoes
Curry 4
Coach Outlet Online
Ecco
Red Bottom for Women
Michael Kors Outlet Online
Pandora Jewelry Official Site
Lebron 15
Stephen Curry 4
Pandora Outlet
Jordan Space Jam 11
Clarks Shoes
Coach Outlet
Longchamp Outlet Sale
Kate Spade New York Outlet
Nike Air Uptempo
Kyrie Irving Shoes
Under Armour Shoes
Ultra Boost Uncaged
Adidas Yeezy Boost 350 V2
Nike Air Max Black Friday
Ralph Lauren Outlet
Kate Spade Factory Outlet
Pandora Jewelry Official Site
Nike Lebron 15
Yeezy Boost 350 V2
Vapor Max
Ralph Lauren Sale
manitoba mpv 2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Replacement 94 MPV 3.0 V-6 HELP!!! Reply with quote

Chriscomputers -

Good question - not sure whether the harmonic balancer has to come off - I've always removed it. There are various ways to hold the pulley stationary while you're removing the bolt.

In recent years I've used an impact wrench, which has worked well.

Good luck!

Many Mazdas over the years, including two 1st-gen MPVs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 89-98 MPV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: