MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Timing Belt Replacement 94 MPV 3.0 V-6 HELP!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rduhai5494

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Replacement 94 MPV 3.0 V-6 HELP!!! Reply with quote

For the wihstle at 30 miles it could be an exaust leak when accelerating,this leak is usualy found at the gasket on the left side connecting the manifold and the second piece going accross behind the engine held by 3 bolts and this goes to the third piece that also has a sleeve inside the colar (sometime it leak) connecting to the long pipe going to the muffler.
Stay idle open your door,press the accelerator to 3000rpm and listen if you can hear it or go under the hood,and manually accelerate and listen.It could also be the bearing in the tension pulley for the fan belt or power steering,use some WD-40 on the bearing not the belt and if disapear it is the bearing.I changed mine 3 times.
hope this help.
By the way,The timing belt do get used and here is how,the bearings in the guiding pulleys or tension pulley for the timing belt get loose and the pulleys turn at an angle,this force the timing belt to go closer and closer to the engine block until it touches the block at higher RPM and then the belt get narrower and narrower and the cam shaft start to jump teeth and this changes the timing and sometime give a rough idling and lost power.

hello la
MPVSURFER

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Replacement 94 MPV 3.0 V-6 HELP!!! Reply with quote

How can you tell if the belt tensioner needs to be replaced? Is there a visual check or some other test to confirm it is bad?
98 MPV ALLSPORT ES 2WD 194k MILES, SUPER CLEAN!
ou812
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Replacement 94 MPV 3.0 V-6 HELP!!! Reply with quote

Two things come to mnd. If you hear a clacking noise from the center of the motor, while squated down in front of the PV, that's your tensioner needing to be replaced. Or, if you have it in you hand, you should not be able to press the pin down "at all" (by hand) if you can, time for a new one.
'91 silver MPV (gone)
'94 white MPV (gone)
"I want my, I want my, I want my MPV"
MPVSURFER

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Replacement 94 MPV 3.0 V-6 HELP!!! Reply with quote

ou812.

Thanks for the reply. Just yesterday I did start hearing the clacking noise you mention. It is intermittent however. I have 127K miles on my PV (I am the original owner) and replaced timing belt, idler pulleys, seals, and water pump at 74K miles. Should I replace ALL THESE PARTS AGAIN and the tensioner at the same time? How long can I go before it HAS TO BE REPALCED? I DID NOT replace the tensioner back at 74K. I guess that was a mistake not doing so!

98 MPV ALLSPORT ES 2WD 194k MILES, SUPER CLEAN!
rduhai5494

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Replacement 94 MPV 3.0 V-6 HELP!!! Reply with quote

You do not have to replace the pulleys everytime you change the timing belt.
I changed mine only at aound 250,000 miles.Tension pulley twice and guiding pulleys once so far and I have over 450,000 miles on my vehicle.
The bearings used in those pulleys inside the timing belt cover are usualy made by SKF and they last for ever.
You know when to change the tension pulley when you can move the pulley on its bushing or the bushing is very loose in the center hole of the pulley.You hold the bushing with 2 fingers and try to rotate the pulley left or right and you will feel the looseness of the bushing,if this bushing is not snug fit and can be move in the center of the pulley then the pulley will move the timing belt at high RPM toward the engine block and this will make the timing belt getting narrower and narrower with time until it break or jump teeth.
To close the tension piston,it should be impossible to do it by hand,you have to use a bench vise and close it very slowly.
I never had to change mine,just compress it,insert a nail when the holes are aligned to lock it and remove the nail when the belt is in place.

hello la
ou812
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Replacement 94 MPV 3.0 V-6 HELP!!! Reply with quote

MPVSURFER wrote:
ou812.

Thanks for the reply. Just yesterday I did start hearing the clacking noise you mention. It is intermittent however. I have 127K miles on my PV (I am the original owner) and replaced timing belt, idler pulleys, seals, and water pump at 74K miles. Should I replace ALL THESE PARTS AGAIN and the tensioner at the same time? How long can I go before it HAS TO BE REPALCED? I DID NOT replace the tensioner back at 74K. I guess that was a mistake not doing so!

There are two different clacking noises, one is a clicking like the HLA's but louder (tensioner) the other is a whir click random sounding, that sounds like something is coming loose inside the motor (idlers). When replacing the tensioner, spin test your idlers. If there is any play or stickyness, replace that idler. when you did your idlers, where they oem? When doing the tensioner "only use OEM" I have had 1 tensioner and two idlers go on me. there are other horror stories on this in the club. I would say, if you have the extra money to spend on the timing kit, tensioner and brass bushing, with 74k for piece of mind, I would do it. The parts are cheapest at cush mazda on ebay, and you have to ask for the bushing.

I don't know my 2 cents

'91 silver MPV (gone)
'94 white MPV (gone)
ou812
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Replacement 94 MPV 3.0 V-6 HELP!!! Reply with quote

[quote="rduhai5494"] I have over 450,000 miles on my vehicle.
[quote]

Shocked wow 450,000 thumbsup

'91 silver MPV (gone)
'94 white MPV (gone)

Last edited by ou812 on Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
rduhai5494

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Replacement 94 MPV 3.0 V-6 HELP!!! Reply with quote

let me rephrase where is the bushing.
There is one bolt holding the tension pulley assembly,under that bolt there is a bushing,thats is the one.

And yes I am proud of my MPV 1990 (20 years next year) and it is one of the last 4wd manual transmission manufactured.The exact milleage is just over 482,000 mikes (750,000 km).
I am in the cold country Canada,I did drive about 6 years ago a distance of over 400 miles at minus 45 degrees without knowing the radiator liquid was frozen all the way to the thermostat and was still frozen when I got in my van in the morning after.
This was the sign of a very good vehicle so there is no way I will let it go.
In snow this is the best I ever had (been driving for 46 years) the weight balance from center of the vevicle is 51/49 so less chances of loosing control on ice and snow.

hello la
hydroplane
Project in Progress

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Replacement 94 MPV 3.0 V-6 HELP!!! Reply with quote

The best solution for me was to take it to my trusted mechanic shop and have them replace the parts and do all the labor. That way if something fails or goes clunk in the night I will take it right back to them and have it solved. Cost of changing timing belt, all seals, tensioners, pulleys, and water pump was $689 US dollars and not to mention less headache and sleepful nights. Cool
bed7526

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Replacement 94 MPV 3.0 V-6 HELP!!! Reply with quote

GEN1HAWAII
I see the pictures with the marks on the cams but not sure exactly where to mark them and position them. Also the main cog at the bottom sow a mark but where is the mark on the main cog to match it.

I just shredded half my belt and it is loose. Guessing it skipped a tooth becasue it tries to start the does not.

Getting a full kit but just fuzzy on how to line it all up. Do not understand the "R" and "L" on the cams on both and I see two slot marks in the pics and on mine but you are marking only one.

Thanks

97 Mazda AllSport 172k

"Never give up never surrender"
Pics forth coming

97 MPV White/Gray All Sport 172k+
2002 LE Corolla

2002 Blue Seinna (totaled Son OK)
2001 Toyota Corrolla Sport Engine died sold
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bed7526

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Replacement 94 MPV 3.0 V-6 HELP!!! Reply with quote

I posted a question in a new topic.

How do I exactly line up a belt?

Bottom main cam: Pully the pulley and how do I know where the mark is on the main cam? I see the mark on the block but is it just a couple teeth clockwise from the key hole?

Greg

2002 LE Corolla

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
idahocity

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Replacement 94 MPV 3.0 V-6 HELP!!! Reply with quote

is it possible to just pull and replace the tensioner only without moving the belt or removing any of the pulleys? i ask because my wife needs to use the van in a couple days for a business type activity, pick up people from airport then drive 80 miles to hotel. of course she will drive them back to the airport in a couple days after meeting.
van is making the clacking noise under 2k rpms. i don't want her to drive with all her colleagues and risk stranding them, plus, that noise is so loud and might cost her cool points.
anyway i won't have time to get a cheap timing kit, plus it would be my first time with this one and i would want to give myself a full day in my in laws shop,
edit:
after perusing theboard here and listening to a video it could actually be a lifter. it is loud and reminds me of a thrown rod. it disappears above 2k rpms. i just changed the oil to full synthetic 5w-30. the noise did appear occasionally a few times before the change. is it ok to drive this way for another 200 miles this week? maybe i will post the sound tomorrow if that will help.

love my 1997 allsport mpv 145.xxx, 2nd owner, green
if subaru made a van for the u.s. this would be it, simple, durable, 4wd, a little underpowered and nice looking
bed7526

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Replacement 94 MPV 3.0 V-6 HELP!!! Reply with quote

Yes you can.

The Tensioner is the last to go in for a full timing belt replacement.

If you are going to replace it just compress it with a screw drive a pry bar and insert a nail (look at new one) remove two bolts and replace.

Then have to put covers and belts and fan back on, I remove the radiator on my jobs. Watch those bolts to the plastic covers they are not all the same length.

Good luck

2002 LE Corolla

idahocity

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Replacement 94 MPV 3.0 V-6 HELP!!! Reply with quote

thanks for the info. got it apart, but left the radiator attached. i took of a little hose at the bottom to drain what i thought would be coolant, but appeared to be thick red fluid, thinking transmission, so i hooked it back up and just let it be. i'll chec k the levels when i get it back together.
the belt looks fine thankfully. the plastic cover had a couple long "slivers" that broke off near the block and were hanging. just about to go after the tensioner. appears difficult to get to without the extra room of the radiator.

love my 1997 allsport mpv 145.xxx, 2nd owner, green
if subaru made a van for the u.s. this would be it, simple, durable, 4wd, a little underpowered and nice looking
bed7526

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Replacement 94 MPV 3.0 V-6 HELP!!! Reply with quote

Yes two small hoses at the bottom are transmission lines. If you got it that far without pulling the radiator then you should be able to completed it.

For me and my big haads and arms I had to get the cowling/fan shroud out of the way thus I had to get the fan/clutch out and so the radiator had to come out also. Four bolts each for the cowling, fan and radiator.

Good luck.

2002 LE Corolla

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 89-98 MPV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: