MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Pet peeves?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stargazer
I'm a dad. I'm not dead.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 10:51 pm    Post subject: Pet peeves? Reply with quote

I know we all love our MPVs Grin, but there's got to be some tiny thing that bugs you that maybe Mazda can improve for the next model year. Or maybe it's just something I'm doing wrong and someone here can correct me Smile. I've got a couple, but here's one:

What's with the power window lock-out button?

If I push that button down, it prevents passengers from rolling the windows up or down. Fine, no problem there--but it also prevents the driver from rolling the other windows up or down. What's the logic in that? The driver should be able to maintain full control of all the windows even when the window lock button is down. I don't want my kids to fool with the power windows, but I still want to play with them Wink!

Do you have any peeves?

Road Tripalooza '07 ~ The 7-52 Daily STI
2002 MPV ES/GFX Black Mica - build date 12/01 - SOLD
1999 VW Passat "Dixie" - SOLD
2003 Toyota Sequoia - SOLD
2006 Subaru WRX STI
Art

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 6:40 am    Post subject: Re:Pet peeves? Reply with quote

I never noticed this about the window lockout button. I agree, the logic seems flawed. One of my peeves is no passenger side door lock button. Every morning I grab my briefcase and laptop possibly other things out when I arrive at work and also have to fumble with the remote to lock the doors instead of pressing a button before removing the items after the door is open. Also, sometimes I will leave the vehicle running with my wife in the passenger seat. she likes the doors locked. Well there is no way for her to open my door except reach all the way over to the drivers side. Even the remote attached to the ignition key will not open the doors.
harkenco

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re:Pet peeves? Reply with quote

I hate the fact that the 2000 model did not come with a console between the front seats. Any aftermarket console is too wide and blocks use of the emergency brake! Glad to see on the '02 they added a table, but still nowhere to hide all the crap. Surprised
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re:Pet peeves? Reply with quote

Not much bothers me about the MPV, although some things could be better, imho.

1. Window Controls
2. Pwr Lock Controls
3. Stiffer rear springs (van bottoms out too easily)
4. Stiffer sway bars (for the racer in me. This is cured w/the 2002 model)
5. Rear Windows should roll down farther
6. Pwr rear quarter windows (even the Wheezestar has 'em)

That's about it. I wish the power outlets were hot all the time also. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re:Pet peeves? Reply with quote

I wish my '01 LX had---
1) Retained Power for the windows.
2) A full sized spare
3) A larger fuel tank
4) More room (i.e. an extended length version)
5) Better fuel economy
6) Front cupholders that don't block view of CD storage area.
7) Interior lights that can be left on and not automatically turn off.
Cool And probably some other stuff that I can't think of right now.

But if I could go back and do it all over again, I'd buy it again. The stuff I listed would be nice, but we can cope or work around the issues we have. Any vehicle tends to be a compromise, and I think we got a good compromise. If someone starts a list of things that are positive about the MPV, I could come up with far more than eight items. Dan

Dan
2001 Rainforest Green LX (164,795 miles)--Minnie (The vacationator)
2006 Honda Civic EX with NAVI and 5sp MT (102,338 miles, new block at 89K) (Dan's daily driver)--Blue Car
Sold (scrapped) on 10/30/04 at 165,599.4 miles....1987 Honda Accord DX (165K miles)--Tan Car
Sold (scrapped) on 9/26/09 at 148406.4 miles and 24 years old....1985 Toyota Camry LE --Brown Car (Dan's former daily driver)
And more human powered bikes than I can count.....
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re:Pet peeves? Reply with quote

Dan, IIRC, the dome lights are controlled by a relay. I wonder if one could just switch out this relay with a non US one, like one from say, the UK or Japan. Hmmmm, it's a thought anyway. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Stargazer
I'm a dad. I'm not dead.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re:Pet peeves? Reply with quote

I agree that given a choice, the MPV would come out number one for me again. These peeves are just minor things. I've got one more Grin:

The child safety locks on the sliding doors do not disable the power door switches.

So, even if I have the safety locks on, all someone has to do is push the button on the b-pillar and the door will open. I know the safety locks are mechanical but how hard would it have been to put in an electrical relay to disable those switches? It would make the car much more safe.

Right now the only way is to turn off the main power to doors--which, by the way, also prevents the driver from opening doors!

Road Tripalooza '07 ~ The 7-52 Daily STI
2002 MPV ES/GFX Black Mica - build date 12/01 - SOLD
1999 VW Passat "Dixie" - SOLD
2003 Toyota Sequoia - SOLD
2006 Subaru WRX STI
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re:Pet peeves? Reply with quote

Woah, I don't like the idea of that, Gazer! Is that really the case? I would hope that if you have the child locks engaged, then you cannot open the door from the second row, at all. Sounds like someone forgot a detail there. We should call Mazda on that fubar.
RRRL

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re:Pet peeves? Reply with quote

I agree with all the posts above - most things I notced right away - I have only had it two weeks now.

My in-laws have a Caravan Razz (gag) and even that has the power rear quarter windows and power door locks on the passenger side...

But another thing with the power locks. You have to wait until the family (I have 3 kids) are out and all the doors closed before hitting the power lock switch.
Even the Caravan Razz (gag) with the sliding doors open will lock automatically after they are closed if the power lock has been hit when they are open.

Anyone else have a problem with the front passenger's seat belt locking and/or tightening while wearing it?

Still love it though - can't wait for the first summer road trip soon...

RRRL

2001 Mazda MPV DX - Gold
1994 Mazda Protege DX - Gold (It won't die!)
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re:Pet peeves? Reply with quote

RRRL,

Yes, I have the same problem w/my 2000 LX, drives the wife nutz. That's a peeve I forgot. The reasoning is that they put the ratcheting belt there in case you had to put a child there, although I disagree w/Mazda's logic there. FWIW, some 2001s recieved longer passenger belts which is supposed to fix this issue. I've never pursued it since it's a minor point of contention in the java-household.

I haven't looked, but are all the electrics in the rear doors still controlled by contact points, or are there cables now? I only ask this b/c you cannot use the windows or locks w/the door open on my 2000... not that you'd want to use the window when you've got the door open, but having the power locks lock the door while it's open would be handy when loading/unloading the germ-factories.
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re:Pet peeves? Reply with quote

Java--my wife read your post about the front passenger belt and chimed in that she doesn't care for that either. I hadn't realized that was an issue with her.

Stargazer--Our '85 Camry has the same power window lockout feature. Locking out the windows locks out the driver's control of them, too. Maybe Mazda hired their window engineer from Toyota?

Art--Interestingly enough, on the Camry sometimes I want to get things out of the front passenger area, but when I lock the door prior to closing it all the other doors lock, too, including the driver door that I wish to leave unlocked since the car is parked in our garage. Funny how it can be a peeve to someone either way the locks are set up.
Dan

Dan
2001 Rainforest Green LX (164,795 miles)--Minnie (The vacationator)
2006 Honda Civic EX with NAVI and 5sp MT (102,338 miles, new block at 89K) (Dan's daily driver)--Blue Car
Sold (scrapped) on 10/30/04 at 165,599.4 miles....1987 Honda Accord DX (165K miles)--Tan Car
Sold (scrapped) on 9/26/09 at 148406.4 miles and 24 years old....1985 Toyota Camry LE --Brown Car (Dan's former daily driver)
And more human powered bikes than I can count.....
rowdy1
MPVClub Preacher
Can I get a "Zoom-Zoom"
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re:Pet peeves? Reply with quote

I think that you all have touched on just about everything. I think that the one that is my biggest pet peeve is the fact that there are no door locks on the passenger side door. I just don't understand the reasoning behind that.
rowdy1
'02 Mazda MPV ES (Silver)
*loaded w/ Rosen Clearview DVD System
'99 Chevy Tahoe LT 4WD (Burgundy)
rowdy1
MPVClub Preacher
Can I get a "Zoom-Zoom"
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re:Pet peeves? Reply with quote

I forgot about this one. I discovered it this weekend....

The seat belt latches fold down into the seat. That is a good feature. However, they are connected to the seat by a single piece of metal. This does not give it any flexability. Well, we have two car seats in the two middle seats. To be safe, I really strap those things in there tight. I took one of the bases (for a babies carrier) out, because our baby was not going on this past trip with us. Then I noticed that the latch would not go back down into the "cut out" in the seat that was made for it. I guess that I tightened the belt so hard that it actually bent that piece of metal that attaches it to the seat. I just don't understand why that piece couldn't have been made out of something more flexible to keep this from happening.

rowdy1
marco

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re:Pet peeves? Reply with quote

Wow!

What can I say, I try everything that were mentioned in this board and they are all true. Little thing here and there is very annoying. Another thing I find out but not too sure it is true about all MPV vehicle or not. The driver and passenger door handle are very loose and that scare me every time I open the door, afraid that they will fall off one day.

Marco

2000 MVP LX
1991 Honda Accord EXR Wagon
Marco
rowdy1
MPVClub Preacher
Can I get a "Zoom-Zoom"
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re:Pet peeves? Reply with quote

Marco,

I haven't had that problem, and I haven't heard of it being a problem either. You may want to have that checked out.

rowdy1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next  
Page 1 of 18

Jump to: