MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Dealer's words - Recall for Rear Heater Pipe coming
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MY01MPV
Self motivated DIYer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Dealer's words - Recall for Rear Heater Pipe coming Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

My 01 MPV is leaking coolant in the rear wheel well, a drop or two per day.
When I checked it couple years ago(after reading through this forum), I did not see any rust on them. So I washed and put the cover back on thinking that my MPV is not affected by rust. Now my van has the same rear coolant leaking problem. I checked it out and it is rusted pipes leaking coolant at the rear of the wheel well.

My question is, is there a extended warranty or a recall on the rear coolant pipes? I am the second owner and my MPV is just over 8 years in service.

Please advise.

Thanks
SP.
nls
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Dealer's words - Recall for Rear Heater Pipe coming Reply with quote

The special extended warranty was for 7 years, but you could contact the dealer and see if they are willing to do a goodwill repair.
MY01MPV
Self motivated DIYer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Dealer's words - Recall for Rear Heater Pipe coming Reply with quote

No further goodwill cosideration from Mazda, ended up paying myself, USD550 (hurts for maintaining it clean, wish it leaked last year).

SP.
mchuchra

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Dealer's words - Recall for Rear Heater Pipe coming Reply with quote

I recall getting a written notice on this problem for my 2003 MPV LX, though I cannot find the paperwork right now. I recall that the essence of the notice from Mazda was that they were extending the warranty on those rear heater pipes to 7 years / unlimited miles. When mine started leaking, I took my car to the dealer and they did the $500 repair under warranty (at the point that my MPV was 6 years old).
Mxzx

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Dealer's words - Recall for Rear Heater Pipe coming Reply with quote

Here is the Extension Program letter:

gadkins

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Dealer's words - Recall for Rear Heater Pipe coming Reply with quote

I'm having mine replace at the dealership today. I brought it in at 8:00am and they need to keep it until Monday. The vechicle was originally from FL. But now is in NY. The dealership needed to call Mazda to make sure it was covered, since it didn't orginally come from a salt belt state. Also, the warrenty didn't automatically come up when the dealer puched in my vin. I needed to point out the TSB. The dealership gave me a rental car for the Weekend.
2003 ES MPV
thm73

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Dealer's words - Recall for Rear Heater Pipe coming Reply with quote

I am about to go to bat on this one -
I have a 2003 MPV - in-service date is Jan 27 of 2004 - so I should be good on the 7 year extension. Here is the catch for my case - back in 2006 the dealer 'closed' the recall on my vehicle be cause he inspected it - and it wasn't leaking. It is now leaking. I argue that he didn't replace them, only inspected, and that Mazda should now replace them. The TSB even states at the bottom that if the repair had been done, but is leaking within the 7 years, that it should be repaired under the TSB / Recall.

I called Mazda customer service to get my in-service date, and that person indicated that he figures they won't do anything for me since it was 'closed', and that he'd call the dealer to 'let them know I am coming' - and to put the regional manager on alert.

Question for all who have had them replaced - is there a new 'cover' that should be on the pipes? Mine have no cover at all.

I have an appointment this Friday the 22nd of January - I'll let you know how 'round 1' goes - since I am sure it will be an all out fight.
mchuchra

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Dealer's words - Recall for Rear Heater Pipe coming Reply with quote

Mine used to have a hard plastic cover within the rear passenger side wheel well(before the repair), but they eliminated it as part of the repair. I guess that was deemed part of the problem (trappic salt, etc.).

Go get 'em killer. Good luck.
thm73

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Dealer's words - Recall for Rear Heater Pipe coming Reply with quote

Wow - after inspecting the van, the dealer was in contact with the district manager - and they approved the repair - 100%! Win one for the consumer! And i have to say kudos to Mazda for keeping up their end of the bargain.
pipedoctor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Dealer's words - Recall for Rear Heater Pipe coming Reply with quote

I checked my rear wheel piping this spring as I always do when I change tires and noticed that the heating lines going into the rear heater core were starting to weep right at the last support brace just above the last two steel bends. Just wanted to let everybody know that I inspected both the A/C and the heating lines from front to back and this is the only place where I saw corrosion. I fabricated two 90 degree pieces of copper pipe with each piece using one 90 with 3" pieces of copper soldered in either end of the 90. I cut back the steel lines in the wheel well approx. 6" above the last hanger bracket, inserted the copper piece through the factory rubber sleeve and clamped onto existing heater hose off the heater core, spanned the remaining space in the wheel well with heater hose clamping it on my new copper piece and old steel piping. I did the same for both the supply and return line and three hours later I was done. Topped system off with approx. 1 liter of fresh coolant and I was good to go. Total cost around $10.00. Again I used two 1/2" copper 90's, four pieces of 1/2" copper pipe 3" long each, six 3/4" stainless steel gear clamps, and about two pieces of 3/4" heater hose about 6" long each. I was able to use a little longer bolt than the factory one where the hanger bolt goes in and made a hole through the back of the plastic shroud to hold it on instead of the plastic fasteners used, as they got thrown away with the old steel piping. Actually that is exactly where the pipes were leaking from, where the hanger was welded to the steel piping. Hope this helps some that are DIYers. Beats the high replacement cost most have been paying, and I think the new repair may outlast the original. Very Happy
rizzphoto

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Dealer's words - Recall for Rear Heater Pipe coming Reply with quote

Not to beat a dead horse but... I have a 2004 MPV that developed a rear a/c line leak about october of last year (2010). I read on here about the recall/extended warranty and made a quick call to Mazda. Turns out that for a reason that I can't fathom, my VIN is not on the recall list. Apparently they think that only the vans with the plastic cover in the wheel well are capable of having corroded a/c lines. Since my van was assembled after that revelation, they will do nothing for me. Obviously the lines are still a problem even without the covers. Has anyone else met this objection or had this same problem on a newer (04-06) MPV?
ponderosaTX

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Dealer's words - Recall for Rear Heater Pipe coming Reply with quote

I deferred posting for a while to let more knowledgeable forum members comment on your question, but since no one else has volunteered, I will toss out what I know from reading this board for the past few years.

Sometime during the 2003 model year, Mazda started using aluminum pipes to carry coolant to the the rear heater. Previously, Mazda used steel pipes which corroded and leaked. My understanding is that all 2004 models have aluminum pipes, but of course this does not prevent 2004 MPVs from leaking. Mazda has apparently accepted the fact that using steel pipes was a design defect. My impression is that the extended warranty/recall covers this issue, but not other causes of coolant leaks.
Pantharen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Dealer's words - Recall for Rear Heater Pipe coming Reply with quote

My "new to me" 1994 MPV just blew the rear heater lines. Aside from no heat to the rear, Can I put a steal loop in so the water circulates through and bypasses the heater all together, until I can replace the lines..
GUNS.. LOTS OF GUNS
scross
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: Dealer's words - Recall for Rear Heater Pipe coming Reply with quote

There's probably no reason why you can't buy an appropriately sized piece of heater hose and do that bypass, as you suggest. But there's probably also no reason why you can't just use that same hose to repair the problem with your pipe(s). You can either slide it over the leaking pipe (if that's feasible), or just cut out the leaking section and replace it with the hose.

I haven't had to address this particular issue (yet), so if it's not feasible to to do either of these options then please forgive me - and tell me why!
verne5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Dealer's words - Recall for Rear Heater Pipe coming Reply with quote

I have a 2004- same problem, has anyone determined if it is ok to bypass w/out damage???
04 mpv es
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next  
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: