MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

TSB Labor Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HomerJaySimpson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: TSB Labor Hours Reply with quote

I just got my 2000 ES back from the dealer for replacement of IAC valve. The dealer charges $90 for the valve which it looks like should be about $60. The dealer also charged 2 hours labor for what the TSB lists as .5 hours. Plus an hour to daignose. Is there any legal requirement for dealer to charge the TSB hours or are they free to charge (TSB Labor hours) ×4? Mad
I should have done it myself but it is cold out and I needed the check engine light turned off.
mazda-fla
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: TSB Labor Hours Reply with quote

I have a 2000 ES that needs a new IAC valve.

I emailed a request for pricing quote to a few different internet based Mazda sites. I'm waiting a few days to see who has the best price for the part plus shipping.

So far, It's looking like about $58 for the part and about $6 for shipping is the best price out there on the internet. I'm going to order it online and install it myself.

From what I hear from other people that did it themselves (and what I see under the hood), it looks like about a 15 minute job to change that part.

However, I am hearing that the local Dealers are asking something like $225 for the part plus labor.

Let me ask you a question: When you brought it in to the Dealer, what was your complaint? Did you report it had the foghorn sound and give them a copy of the TSB?
HomerJaySimpson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: TSB Labor Hours Reply with quote

I told them of the sound and mentioned the TSB. They replied that it is 2 hour labor, so my question is is this legal? Or do they need to charge the actual TSB hours?
Jipster
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: TSB Labor Hours Reply with quote

Hi Homer...I would think that it would be legal to charge however many hours it took to do the repair. Though it sounds highly unethical and somewhat of a rip off that they would charge so much over. Did you ask why it took them 2 hours to do a 15-30min job? If not satisfied with the answer I would start complaining to the service manager, general manager,BBB, Mazda regional reps or whoever it is one complains to.
2004 MPV LX (Plus Pkg, Traction and Airbag Pkg, All Sport Pkg, Roof Rack, 108k miles) Cosmic Sand
1999 Buick Regal LS (Leather Pkg, auto climate control,alloys, 124,000 miles) Desert Sand
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: TSB Labor Hours Reply with quote

The hours (really a guideline) on the TSB are for billing purposes to corporate for reimbursement of a warranty repair. Basically, Mazda will only pay for the specified hours alloted, even if it takes longer (or shorter).

In this case, since you're not under warranty, your on the hook for labor. It doesn't mean it can't take more than what's on there, but still it sounds excessive in this case. I'd discuss it with the SM and see if they can at least cut it in half. Then afterwards, I'd start looking for another dealer to get service at.

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: TSB Labor Hours Reply with quote

A good, reputable and dare I say fair dealer will just charge you book hours.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JMTRANSAMSD455
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: TSB Labor Hours Reply with quote

Did they give you an estimated price on paper? My wife's cousing got snagged and beat by an unscrupious dealer a few years ago. First she bought a new Pontiax 6000 STE and took it home from the dealer without thoroughly inspecting the car. Whe she got home she discovered One of the yellow guide lights in the front was cracked(Most likely during transport). Since she didn't she see it before she left the dealer, they claimed she must have hit something and cracked it. Thus they are not responsible for it nor do they guarantee it. Anyway she decides to ask their service about fixing it and the Service MGR. told her it was a $40.00 part and an easy fix, $15.00 for labor. She thought, that's not bad so she told them to replace it. Unfortunately she did not get it in writing, like I told her many times. When she returned to pick up her car, the part was $40.00 but the labor was $225.00 plus tax. They explained to her since she did not have anything in writing, the labor was open and since the job was very complicated(They say) thats the price she had to pay. Also she had told them to fix the car and had signed a repair order so she was stuck paying. Talking aboug getting double banged. The moral of the story is that this crooked dealership went out of business(They must have pulled this scam on many customers). Jack.
2003 ES Sunlight SilverMobil 1,K&N 102,800m Hers,2015 CX-5 Grand Tour AWD2.5 Meteor Grey Mica MOLY oil29,000m2016.5Mazda CX5 TouringAWD DeepChrystalBlue MazdaMOLY GF5 Oil 29,8005m,Son,2008 MAZDA 3S TOURING 2.3L HATCH Aurora BlueK&N Mobil1 78,800m,2015 MAZDA3HATCH 2.5GT Liquid Silver 9000mMOLYOil ,2016 Subaru Forester Limited2.5AWD Quartz Blue Pearl MolyGF5Oil5,115mHers,1974 Trans Am LS-2 Bucanneer Red113Km SOLDr
JMTRANSAMSD455
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: TSB Labor Hours Reply with quote

I think sometimes these people tend to prey on women. Once my wife had pulled into a gas station for a fillup in my 1974 Trans Am and the mechanic came out of the garage bay and told her she needs a new battery and a tuneup because he saw the shaker hood scoop shaking. She told him the reason the shaker hood scoop shakes is because of the loping high lift cam on the engine which has nothing to do with the tuneup and a new battery has nothing to do with the shaking. She shut him down in his tracks. You can't fool a woman with a lot of knowlege or a female gearhead, Jack.
2003 ES Sunlight SilverMobil 1,K&N 102,800m Hers,2015 CX-5 Grand Tour AWD2.5 Meteor Grey Mica MOLY oil29,000m2016.5Mazda CX5 TouringAWD DeepChrystalBlue MazdaMOLY GF5 Oil 29,8005m,Son,2008 MAZDA 3S TOURING 2.3L HATCH Aurora BlueK&N Mobil1 78,800m,2015 MAZDA3HATCH 2.5GT Liquid Silver 9000mMOLYOil ,2016 Subaru Forester Limited2.5AWD Quartz Blue Pearl MolyGF5Oil5,115mHers,1974 Trans Am LS-2 Bucanneer Red113Km SOLDr
mazda-fla
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: TSB Labor Hours Reply with quote

HomerJaySimpson wrote:
I told them of the sound and mentioned the TSB. They replied that it is 2 hour labor, so my question is is this legal? Or do they need to charge the actual TSB hours?

So they told you ahead of time that it was going to be 2 hours labor? And you agreed to it before the work was performed? If so, then your options of getting your money back are somewhat limited.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: