MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Preventing blind-spots
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beachnut
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 1:08 pm    Post subject: Preventing blind-spots Reply with quote

I know this isn't child safety, maybe this topic could be re-named (?).
Anyway, I read this yesterday and found it pretty interesting:

Source: Liberty Mutual

"Government statistics indicate that about one-third of all fatalities resulting from accidents involving a car and a truck occurred because of the truck's blind spots. What's more, automobile drivers initiate nearly 75% of these accidents."

Then, the article followed with these hints to help avoid blind spots in your car:

1. Adjust the interior mirror so that the rear window is framed.

2. Before you start your car, sit in your normal driving position and put your head against the driver's side window. Look to your left sideview mirror and adjust it so that you see as little of the left side of your car as possible.

3. From your position in the driver's seat, place your head along the centerline of the car. Look in your right sideview mirror and adjust it so that you see as little of the right side of your car as possible.

FWIW
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re:Preventing blind-spots Reply with quote

Hey! Excellent advice!!! I generally push them out further, but I'll have to try their method and see how much improved my vision is.

thx Beach!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Beachnut
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 8:37 am    Post subject: Re:Preventing blind-spots Reply with quote

Actually Java, I do the same thing too! That's why this caught my eye (unintentional pun) as being different than what I'm sure a lot of us do. I like to see the side of the car in my sideviews for when I'm backing up out of tight spots. Never had a problem all these years with this method, but then again, I also perform a rarely-seen-today manuever called the "turn your head" procedure Rolling Eyes
rowdy1
MPVClub Preacher
Can I get a "Zoom-Zoom"
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 10:17 am    Post subject: Re:Preventing blind-spots Reply with quote

We've always adjusted our mirrors out just enough that we don't see the van also. However, we have those small round mirrors that stick on the original mirror that gives us a view of the "blind spot". That has always worked fine for us.

I've read about this before, but I guess that it's just hard to change old habits.

rowdy1
'02 Mazda MPV ES (Silver)
*loaded w/ Rosen Clearview DVD System
'99 Chevy Tahoe LT 4WD (Burgundy)
MPoohV

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re:Preventing blind-spots Reply with quote

I've been doing this for a while since the side mirrors on my previous vehicle (VW Eurovan) wouldn't adjust in as much as I used to like them. It took a little while to get used to it, but now I actually prefer to drive with them positioned out pretty far. If I need to see the side of my vehicle I just lean more in the appropriate direction, but in the meantime a quick glance from the driving position results in a much reduced blind spot area. Great tip!
Chris
05 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited - Blue Mirage, Taupe Leather
02 MPV ES - Silver - "MPoohV" - TRADED! Surprised
99 Toyota 4Runner Ltd - White
Stargazer
I'm a dad. I'm not dead.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re:Preventing blind-spots Reply with quote

Ever since I read that procedure that beachnut described in a "Drive to Survive" book I've been adjusting the mirrors out in every vehicle I drive.

It's disappointing that on some vehicles their mirrors don't provide enough movement for them to adjusted properly.

Road Tripalooza '07 ~ The 7-52 Daily STI
2002 MPV ES/GFX Black Mica - build date 12/01 - SOLD
1999 VW Passat "Dixie" - SOLD
2003 Toyota Sequoia - SOLD
2006 Subaru WRX STI
Art

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 6:44 am    Post subject: Re:Preventing blind-spots Reply with quote

I'm going to have to try this new method. What I have don't prior to knowing this is to have my wife follow me to a level "non-busy" parking lot and have her approach me from the rear of the vehicle in the left and then right "lanes". I would then temprarily position with masking tape some additional auxilliary round mirrors to increase my field of vision. These take alittle getting used to but they do work. I would like to compare this to the method discussed here. The other advantage of what is described earlier is the mirrors can be adjusted for each driver. My method may only be optimized for someone using my seat position and my height, I'm not sure

One thing is for sure, seeing my wife approach the vehicle with me keeping my head in normal position and concentrating on the mirrors (remember, I'm standing still and not driving so I can do this), there is quite a blind spot on both sides of the vehicle. This is not particular to the MPV either, it was the same with my other vans and cars.
rc168

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 10:43 am    Post subject: Re:Preventing blind-spots Reply with quote

I gave it a try, though not as extreme as suggested. For some reason I have always tilted them inwards until I can see the vehicle on the inside edges.

It makes a BIG difference. I never was quite happy about the interior mirror due to its small size, but fell confident about the big-sized rear-viewing mirrors. I still turn my head though (whenever possible) when making a lane change.

Thanks for the tip.

-Robert

Robert
2002 MPV ES Sand
1991 Camry DX Sky Blue
4X4AllSport
89-98 MPV Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re:Preventing blind-spots Reply with quote

I also use those little adhesive blind-spot mirrors, but only on My '90 MPV. I also use a panoramic rear-view mirror. On My 4X4 though, I don't use any of those accessories. The increased ground clearance of the 4-wheel drive gives Me a better view (front/rear/sides) compared to My lower 2WD '90. But of course, you still have to do the old-fashioned turning-of-the-head for lane changes. wave
97 Efini MPV ES 4WD All-Sport M Edition
Indigo Blue/Silent Silver,77k mi
InDash TouchScreen DVD/CD/TV,ClassIII HiddenHitch,HitchStep,JDM Spoiler,Cone Filter,PIAA Spark 4900K

01 Millenia S,58k mi
04 Lexus GX470,35k mi
93 Honda Civic DX,88k mi
Had a 90 MP 2WD,224k mi

judge Mazda's MPV is M.V.P. clever
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re:Preventing blind-spots Reply with quote

I wonder if Osaka is monitoring these. If you are, do the Japanese-market MPVs have wide-angle rearview mirrors? I purchased one of these for my Volvo for a song and it's wonderful. You use it on the passenger side, and it's concave (or is that convex?) so that you get a wide-angle view of what's beside and behind you. Basically replaces the mirror glass in your mirror. Just a thought, if it's an available part...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rob

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 10:36 am    Post subject: Re:Preventing blind-spots Reply with quote

First thing we bought after the van were those little stic on con (vex/cave) [ gave up years ago trying to keep straight] mirrors. The wife even came off with the comment "why aren't these std equipment". well worth the 6$
'02 Sunlight Silver LX
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re:Preventing blind-spots Reply with quote

They are convex. Actually, the passenger side view mirror on the MPV is ever so slightly convex. The degree of convexivity is much greater on the adhesive mirrors than on the standard mirror.

The driver side view mirror is straight.

[b:a970de293f]Dan[/b:a970de293f]
2001 Rainforest Green LX (164,795 miles)--Minnie (The vacationator)
2006 Honda Civic EX with NAVI and 5sp MT (102,338 miles, new block at 89K) (Dan's daily driver)--Blue Car
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re:Preventing blind-spots Reply with quote

Right you are Dan. We have a small round convex mirror on the passenger side of the van. I like it. The one on my car is very convex, as you can see the rear wheel of the car as well as a full lane or two next to the car. Wish the bassackwards DOT would allow those instead of the wimpy convex that's std on cars now. Ah well. Grin
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 10:24 am    Post subject: Re:Preventing blind-spots Reply with quote

Yah. There is so little convexivity on the passenger side mirror that it might just as well be straight. I'm sure it does some good, but not a lot.
[b:a970de293f]Dan[/b:a970de293f]
2001 Rainforest Green LX (164,795 miles)--Minnie (The vacationator)
2006 Honda Civic EX with NAVI and 5sp MT (102,338 miles, new block at 89K) (Dan's daily driver)--Blue Car
osakampv

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 10:29 am    Post subject: Re:Preventing blind-spots Reply with quote

The wider convex rear view mirror is popular in Japan.
Above all, I’m sticking a wider convex rear view mirror, whose breadth is 270mm(10.63in), on an original rear view mirror to get the wider rear view and left side view of the rear.
Having been used to it, I can’t go back to an original mirror.
These reasonable and valuable convex outside mirror and rear view mirror are sold at many auto stores, but aren’t sold as the shop option of Mazda.
Not only many Japanese contender of MPV but also even small Mazda AZ WAGON have larger outside mirror than that of MPV now.

This sentence is cited too.
I’m in the habit of doing a rarely-seen-today maneuver called the "turn your head" procedure as well.
Regards,

Toshiki
'01 Mazda MPV 4WD SPORTS
'02 Mazda AZ-WAGON
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Safety Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: