MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

It's time for new struts & shocks on the '00 LX....
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigdmpv
Car Nuts!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: It's time for new struts & shocks on the '00 LX.... Reply with quote

Just wondering what struts and shocks you might have used when replacing worn-out stock units. My stock units have 88,000 miles on them, and are probably a little past due for replacement. So far, I have only been able to find KYB GR-2 shocks and struts for the '00 MPV. I would like to keep things close to stock, as far as ride goes, or slightly firmer. Thanks for your help, and input.
'00 MPV LX, 223K miles, w/all the good stuff!
'02 MP5, 199K miles, daily-driven goodness! Gone to a home in need!
'90 Miata, 70K miles, perfect Florida car.
aha
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: It's time for new struts & shocks on the '00 LX.... Reply with quote

I've used KYB for my motorcycle back in my country, also in my 90 4Runner. I'd say the ride is about the same as stock, slightly firmer but not harsh for sure. The quality is top notch, and they outlast the stockers.

Some people make mistakes and pairing KYB shocks with lowered springs, this is a no-no. I think for the performance line they have KYB AGX/AGP (I'm too lazy to google it at this moment Laughing )
But in general, I'd buy KYB when my shocks need replacement.
bigdmpv
Car Nuts!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: It's time for new struts & shocks on the '00 LX.... Reply with quote

From what I've read about the KYB's they seem to be fine. I've always replaced stock units with Tokico's on my previous vehicles, but from what I can tell Tokico does not have an application for the '00-'01 MPV's. Thanks again for your input.
ParrishTheThought

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: It's time for new struts & shocks on the '00 LX.... Reply with quote

I've used KYB shocks and struts on several of my previous vehicles and had a much improved ride over the stock arrangement. For example my 98 Nissan Frontier had a terrible vibration over 70 MPH and the dealer could not fix it even with a change in tires. Later I replaced the front struts and rear shocks with KYB's and the vibration went away. I also used them on an old Celica, again with much improved ride and handling.

• 00 Mazda MPV DX - Emerald Mica
  • 02 Jetta Wagon VR6 GLX - Indigo Blue/Black Leather - It's Gone!
Lazyfox
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: It's time for new struts & shocks on the '00 LX.... Reply with quote

I like the GR-2's, and KYB is very reputable. I plan on replacing the factory struts with GR-2's when they wear out. We're almost at 60,000 miles, so it will probably be another year before I replace them.
-Dean

'00 MPV LX, Touring/4 Seasons/6CD, Emerald Green/Tan
'06 Ford Freestyle FWD Limited Merlot/Charcoal
Mobil1Pennzoil, Meguiars wax Klasse AIO Meguiars NXT Back to AIO.
YMMV.
Looking for a classic Corvette?
Corvette News
bigdmpv
Car Nuts!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: It's time for new struts & shocks on the '00 LX.... Reply with quote

Sweet! Sounds like the KYB's will do just fine. I'm getting excited about having that (better than) new car ride and handling again. Now, all I need is a set of TEIN springs, some 19" wheels, and the GFX kit and I'm done. Thanks for the input guys. Later!
Kiwimpv
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Gen1 Advocate
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: It's time for new struts & shocks on the '00 LX.... Reply with quote

I bought KYB's for the Gen1 here in NZ and the stability in a bumpy corner is much improved, the others had damaged seals and the car had 130kms. It was a cheaper price than used shocks from a wrecker!! I used Monroe adjustable shocks for the rear for towing. Both are an improvement.

Kiwi

Graeme + 1 + 4
93 Efini V6 162km
87 Capella/626 1.8i 176km
My Weather Site
78 20ft Trlr Camper
CheapScotsman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: It's time for new struts & shocks on the '00 LX.... Reply with quote

Are you guys saying that I should be looking forward to replacing shocks and/or struts somewhere around 100,000 km Huh?

How much does this cost (given that I haven't done either on my honda civic/prelude after 20 years on both and over 250,000km) Huh?

Test drove a 2001, looked at 2002, finally got a CDN 2003 LX, Mid Blue, Alloy Wheels, Four Seasons, Towing Pkg, Roof Rack ... now at 71,000km
1982 Honda Civic ... now at 165,000km
1984 Honda Prelude ... retired at 280,000km
possum5

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: It's time for new struts & shocks on the '00 LX.... Reply with quote

Wife's 01 MPV with 90k miles pulling horribly to the left at acceleration and highway speeds. Tires are ok, not great but ok. The alignment shows no problems.

Anyone experience this? I've got it at the local tire place now and will post follow up.

trying to care for wife's 01 garbage hauler
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
cpapashley
MPVClub Fixture
The Wonder from Downunder
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: It's time for new struts & shocks on the '00 LX.... Reply with quote

possum5 wrote:
Wife's 01 MPV with 90k miles pulling horribly to the left at acceleration and highway speeds. Tires are ok, not great but ok. The alignment shows no problems.

Anyone experience this? I've got it at the local tire place now and will post follow up.

Welcome to the forum, possum5. I have similar mileage, no problem in this area. Do you know the history of the vehicle at all?

Where/who checked the alignment?? Which system was it checked on? Any strange noises?

2000 MPV Seychelles Green 279,000 km
Custom Cold Air Intake, K&N Panel Filter
Custom Equal Length Headers and Y pipe
Hi Flow CAT, 2 1/2" with straight through exhaust....ohhhh it makes you smile......
MPV Club Sticker to finish off the package
Kiwimpv
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Gen1 Advocate
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: It's time for new struts & shocks on the '00 LX.... Reply with quote

CS and P5 - I'm not saying that those parts will fail or show signs of fatigue but mine did and the 6 monthly safety checks showed them up as leaking and having some lateral movement. i replaced the rears because it still wallowed in the corners some, and I wanted to tow the heavy camper.

I would think that with a ten year old car, with modest miles, that the radiator was an important item to flush out, check and refill with anitfreeze/inhibitor, not just for the radiator but the engine and the water pump. The transmission will also need a flush and refill.

The suspension may show signs of age but if road conditions and temperatures have been favourable then it is only up to the discerning driver or mechanic to know if there is a fault or an acceptable ride.

Cool Kiwimpv

Graeme + 1 + 4
93 Efini V6 162km
87 Capella/626 1.8i 176km
My Weather Site
78 20ft Trlr Camper
possum5

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: It's time for new struts & shocks on the '00 LX.... Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Thanks for the response. No, it isn't the MPV, appraretnly it is the tires.

We replaced the stock tires with Kelly navigator golds at our local goodyear dealer, who also does the alignments and rotations for us. The first set went exactly 50k miles without a hitch.

The second set has had some serious hiccups, partly because we bought two tires one season and another two the next. Then the wife caught a nail during commute and ended up blowing out the tire. We have 3 different treads on the van.

It seems we are experiencing very bad "radial pull" and that is the cause of the issue. Getting it resolved with the dealer.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
cpapashley
MPVClub Fixture
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: It's time for new struts & shocks on the '00 LX.... Reply with quote

That is good news Possum5,

Let us know the end result when it is all fixed. Your fuel consumption must have been interesting???

Hi Flow CAT, 2 1/2" with straight through exhaust....ohhhh it makes you smile......
possum5

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: It's time for new struts & shocks on the '00 LX.... Reply with quote

Actually, the fuel has been right at normal 19-21 MPG for mixed highway commute. My wife has a consistent and nice driving style versus my "Native Nashvillian NASCAR" style of lane cutting and drafting...
When I drive it I get 17-19 MPG.

cpapashley
MPVClub Fixture
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: It's time for new struts & shocks on the '00 LX.... Reply with quote

possum5 wrote:
Actually, the fuel has been right at normal 19-21 MPG for mixed highway commute. My wife has a consistent and nice driving style versus my "Native Nashvillian NASCAR" style of lane cutting and drafting...
When I drive it I get 17-19 MPG.

lol its that zoom, zooom, zooooom feeling that gets to you lol!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Suspension All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: