MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

92 v6 3.0 mpv intake manifold removal
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mpvwhite05

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject: 92 v6 3.0 mpv intake manifold removal Reply with quote

Please help. I have a 92 MPV v6 3.0 L; it is leaking coolant on the upper part of the engine after warming up. I can see steam coming around the intake manifold area. I searched the forum and found someone mentioned the Intake Manifold gasket and a tube behind it maybe leaking coolant. Also, I checked my oil and there is no coolant in it. I suspected the gasket and tube are bad at this time. I tried to take the IM apart for inspection but found the repair manuals are totally not covering the steps in depth at all. I have not been able to to find any steps for such in this forum. If anyone have the steps or a link to take the Intake Manifold out, will you please help. Thanks very much in advance.
Manitoba MPV
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 92 v6 3.0 mpv intake manifold removal Reply with quote

mpvwhite05 -

I had the IM on our '97 off recently, but unfortunately it's quite a bit different from your '92.

However, the following would apply regardless:

Use a digital camera, and take photos of everything you remove!

The IM gaskets are steel, and likely haven't failed. Rather, the nuts may have loosened off. (If I'd known that's all it was, I wouldn't have removed the IM or replaced the gaskets. I would have just re-torqued the nuts.)

The IM actually comprises two major pieces, top & bottom. The top part is properly called the dynamic chamber (and contains the active parts of the VRIS), and the bottom part is the intake manifold proper. With the '97, one has to remove the dynamic chamber to access the nuts that secure the IM. I would guess the same is required on the '92.

While you're in there, consider replacing the valve cover gaskets, and the five O-rings that seem to be the source of most of the 3.0's oil leaks. They are:

Driver's side - distributor shaft, distributor mounting plate, and PCV blanking plate

Passenger side - PCV valve mounting plate, and distributor blanking plate.

There are part numbers for the O-rings in my recent thread 'Off with her head(s)?'.

Good luck, and please keep us posted.

Manitoba MPV

'82 GLC 1.5 5-speed ('82 - '95); '79 GLC Sport 1.4 5-speed ('87 - '89); '85 626 2.0 5-speed ('97 - '05); '90 MPV 2WD 2.6 5-speed ('96 - '01); '95 Bawngo GL Super 9 pass 2.0 5-speed ('03 - '04); '97 AllSport 2WD 3.0 auto ('01 - ?); '01 Protege 1.6 5-speed ('05 - '13); '09 Mazda 5 GT 5-speed ('13 - ?)
mpvwhite05

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 92 v6 3.0 mpv intake manifold removal Reply with quote

Dear Manitoba:

Thank you fro your help and advise. I was able to take apart the dynamic chamber and the VRIS today. I looked around the intake manifold area, it doesn't look like there is any leak -- just because it is oily and dirty -- if there were steam coming out from the gasket area, it shall be much 'cleaner,' LOL.
I have not able to get to (nor able to remove) the back hose at the (top) back of the engine yet. But from a picture I took with my cell phone and expand it when looking, the hose does look bad and it is highly suspected that was the source of the leak. I haven't really try to take that hose out yet (and it doesn't seem easy without taking out the IM) but probably will try in the coming week. I am in a dilemma whether I shall change the IM gasket and some other gasket at this time, my MPV is already 170,000 miles or just replace the hose (assume it was cracked) and put everything else back and take a chance. (Probably just like a $1 part but hours of labor.) Slightly damaged one of the metal gasket when take out the extension manifolds (the curve U tubes) between the chamber and the intake.
Did find some oil leak, probably from the valve gasket and the distributor.
Not sure which 5 O-rings that you mentioned regarding causing oil leak?

Thanks again for your advice and help. spplause spplause beer

I tried to attach some pictures but they seems to be too big for this forum. If I am able to resize my picture, I will attach them to this post. Thanks again.
poptop
MPVClub Resident
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 92 v6 3.0 mpv intake manifold removal Reply with quote

It seems like you have a handle on it, but here is an old post about that 5/16 hose that goes from the rear of the IM to the BAC thru a Y connection under the throttle body. When my IM gasket leaked you will see the coolant dribbling down the front of the engine. Use a strong flashlight and look straight down in the front of the IM. there is a small valley where the coolant will puddle. from underneath it looks like the waterpump is bad because it dribbles straight down. The rear coolant hose sits right next to a heat shield and most likely that is where the steam is coming from. I also remember that there was a hard to see stud towards the back that bolts down the rear of the IM.
http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=24208&highlight=

1990 4X4 V-6 5-speed
1991 2WD V-6
1994 2WD V-6
Scion Xb
A pile of old timing belts
mpvwhite05

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: 92 v6 3.0 mpv intake manifold removal Reply with quote

Dear Poptop:

Thanks for your info. I was able to remove the hose today. Took me about 2 hours just to remove a stupid clamp and a hose. I had to break the clamp in order to take it out and the hose was also damaged in the process. Therefore, I was unable to confirm the hose was the problem. I saw the metal "Y" that split the hose into two hoses going to the MAF chamber area. Somehow, a question come up in my mind: Coolant is coming up from that tube (from the rear / top of the engine, then go into a "Y" and both hoses after that go into the MAF (or BAC?) area. I don't remember that was any other outlet that the coolant going to. Is this just a 'one-way' coolant hose (no outlet?) What is the purpose of running the coolant to the MAF area? I know in the newer MPV (like 2000-2005 MPV) there is a inlet of the coolant to the MAF area and there is also a outlet that the coolant flows through. But how about the 92 MPV, where is the coolant from the tube (and after the "Y" going??) I ordered the valve cover gaskets, etc. from the internet today and hopefully they will arrive next week. I am going to take a chance NOT to change the intake manifold gasket at this time. It seems too much labor involved and I have to remove the fuel injectors too (which I am hesitate to try.) Thanks for everybody's help. Hope I can put this MPV back together. It has served me well in the past but it does getting old Sad
mpvwhite05

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 92 v6 3.0 mpv intake manifold removal Reply with quote

Thanks for everybody's help. The over-heat / leaking issue has been fixed. It was the small hose in the back (top) of the engine that rapture. I ordered the intake manifold gasket set but decided not to replace the intake gasket (one each on each side above the valley.) Only replace the O rings and gaskets that have been taken out. Originally, order the valve gaskets but they did not arrive on time. So I will have to do the extra work next time in the future to get them replace. But as for now, the car has been driven for a few times and no leaking of coolant, over heat issue. The next issue to tickle is the steering bushings, and then the valve gaskets, and on and on, LOL.
poptop
MPVClub Resident
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 92 v6 3.0 mpv intake manifold removal Reply with quote

I've been working on my MPV's for 24 years. Never thought to Tickle the steering bushings......... :lol:
1990 4X4 V-6 5-speed
1991 2WD V-6
1994 2WD V-6
Scion Xb
ou812
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 92 v6 3.0 mpv intake manifold removal Reply with quote

Wouldn't that lead to a "crack up"?
'91 silver MPV (gone)
'94 white MPV (gone)
"I want my, I want my, I want my MPV"
mpvwhite05

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: 92 v6 3.0 mpv intake manifold removal Reply with quote

Ooop, Maybe I used the wrong terms and confused everybody.
I mean to change the grommets that holding the steering gear rack onto the frame. There are two grommets (some calls them bushings) that are placed on the right and left hand side under a clamp to hold it down.
poptop
MPVClub Resident
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 92 v6 3.0 mpv intake manifold removal Reply with quote

No confusion, just a good chuckle at the mis-spelling. We are all familiar with those bushmetts. Good luck with the old girl, stuff yourself with turkey and drift off to sleep with the gentle clacking of the lifters in the background.
1990 4X4 V-6 5-speed
1991 2WD V-6
1994 2WD V-6
Scion Xb
hildac07
先生

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 92 v6 3.0 mpv intake manifold removal Reply with quote

Adidas Outlet
Lebrons Shoes
Moncler Outlet UK
Nike Air Max
Pandora Jewelry Canada
Jordan 11 GYM Red
Christian Louboutin Shoes
Nike Shoes
Pandora Jewelry Official Site
Polo Ralph Lauren
Pandora Bracelet
Nike Outlet
Yeezy Beluga 2.0
Timberlad Boots For Men
Nike Air Force 1
Pandora Charms Sale
Retro Jordan 11
Nike KD Shoes
Moncler
Air Max Shoes
Pandora Sale
Pandoras
Pandora Charms Sale Clearance
Air Max 90 Pas Cher
Red Bottoms
Yeezy Shoes
Puma Shoes For Men
Adidas Shoes For Women
Nike Shoes For Women
Louboutin Shoes
Longchamp

Hilda Cole
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 89-98 MPV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: