MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

OBDII Scan Tool, Digital Gauges and a Trip Computer
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lazyfox_
MPVClub Posting Maniac
sleepless computer addict
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:14 pm    Post subject: OBDII Scan Tool, Digital Gauges and a Trip Computer Reply with quote

what about group buy on this little one?

http://www.scanguage.com/

ehhh, now I look at the compatibility/incompatibility list and MPV is not on either, but it sates it is NOT compatible with MZ6 (so it's the same duratec like in MPV) . But maybe it might work, would have to try one.

2002 Mazda MPV ES Sunlight Silver Zoom-Zoom
2009 MAZDA3 s Grand Touring 5-Door Stormy Blue Mica Zoooom-Zoooooom

[img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/cz.gif[/img:f9299cb053] [img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/usa.gif[/img:f9299cb053]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TomNansMPV

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: OBDII Scan Tool, Digital Gauges and a Trip Computer Reply with quote

Fox:

Is the OBDII connection on the MPV the one under the hood marked "diagnostic"? A photo on the scangauge site showed a connection under the dash.

I've been thinking about a trip computer. Is this the only one out there?

Tom

2003 MPV ES

Sage Green, GFX W/rear spoiler, 4-Seasons, 6CD, FogLights, Rear Bumper Step Plate, Donnelly autodim/comp/temp mirror, Euro antenna, SilverStar heads/fogs, Weathertech cargo liner, Mazda bug shield, K&N air filter, Mazda front mask, ScanGauge

1993 626 DX - 171,000 miles
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: OBDII Scan Tool, Digital Gauges and a Trip Computer Reply with quote

There is an OBDII port under the dash. I've connected to it with my OBD-2 software (the other group buy).

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()
edrubins
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: OBDII Scan Tool, Digital Gauges and a Trip Computer Reply with quote

This should work with MPV's from '96 on up. All model years since then have an OBD-II port under the dash, just to the outside of the steering column. The connector shown on their website looks exactly the same as the one I bought from obd-2.com which can detect all protocols in use at the time (a year ago.) This unit might be worth it even though I have the software installed on my laptop. Has anyone approached them about a group buy?
2006 Explorer XLT
96 MPV Deerslayer. (Still for sale)
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: OBDII Scan Tool, Digital Gauges and a Trip Computer Reply with quote

It's just that their site indicates it doesn't work on a whole bunch of other newer cars that do have OBDII ports, including the Mazda6. I'm thinking that the code inside the box probably doesn't have parameters for some engines to extract the stuff on that cube. I don't know

FWIW, the port on the MPV is an ISO type OBDII.

-Brian

edrubins
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: OBDII Scan Tool, Digital Gauges and a Trip Computer Reply with quote

It looks like Mazda went to PWM on the 2002 Maza 6 and CAN on the 2003 Mazda 6. The 2004 6, 3 and RX8 are the CAN protocol. See this page on obd-2.com for a list of interfaces and connector locations. The models not supported by the Scanguage seem to use CAN. You should be able to use the odb-2.com link to verify that your car is supported by Scanguage - ISO, VPW and PVM protocols seem to be OK but I'm sure a particular make and model could be verified direclty.
2006 Explorer XLT
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: OBDII Scan Tool, Digital Gauges and a Trip Computer Reply with quote

Sweetness, I hadn't checked to see what the Mazda6 used, just figured it was ISO by default.

So, that's solved. LF go get one and report back on how it works Wink'n'Grin

-Brian

edrubins
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: OBDII Scan Tool, Digital Gauges and a Trip Computer Reply with quote

Three reviews on FordF150.net. I wonder how long the special price is good for.
2006 Explorer XLT
4X4AllSport
89-98 MPV Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: OBDII Scan Tool, Digital Gauges and a Trip Computer Reply with quote

subearu wrote:
LF go get one and report back on how it works Wink'n'Grin

-Brian
Takin' one for the team there, huh, LazyF? thumbsup I'd definitely be interested in a group buy if this gauge is compatible with our 96+ MP's, PeeVee's, MPV's, etc. blah
97 Efini MPV ES 4WD All-Sport M Edition
Indigo Blue/Silent Silver,77k mi
InDash TouchScreen DVD/CD/TV,ClassIII HiddenHitch,HitchStep,JDM Spoiler,Cone Filter,PIAA Spark 4900K

01 Millenia S,58k mi
04 Lexus GX470,35k mi
93 Honda Civic DX,88k mi
Had a 90 MP 2WD,224k mi

judge Mazda's MPV is M.V.P. clever
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
edrubins
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: OBDII Scan Tool, Digital Gauges and a Trip Computer Reply with quote

4X4AllSport wrote:
Takin' one for the team there, huh, LazyF? thumbsup I'd definitely be interested in a group buy if this gauge is compatible with our 96+ MP's, PeeVee's, MPV's, etc. blah

"Compatible" in this case can mean a couple of things. First, all MPV's since '96 have an ODB-2 port with the ISO interface. This interface supplies all of the minimum mandated information and functions, but not all (if any) of the optional stuff. For example, IIRC my daughter's 2000 Jeep Wrangler supplied the vehicle VIN and CIN, my '96 MPV doesn't. Before ordering one of the things, it would be nice to know how many of the goodies like miles driven and gallons used are available and starting in what year. Guess I'm going to have to take my laptop for a ride for at least as long as the battery will last.

2006 Explorer XLT
lazyfox_
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: OBDII Scan Tool, Digital Gauges and a Trip Computer Reply with quote

4X4AllSport wrote:
Takin' one for the team there, huh, LazyF? thumbsup
No funds for such a toy right now. I sent them an email asking if it would work with PeeVees. Perhaps some day. I would like to have this one too. Wink http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=4179

[img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/cz.gif[/img:f9299cb053] [img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/usa.gif[/img:f9299cb053]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
edrubins
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: OBDII Scan Tool, Digital Gauges and a Trip Computer Reply with quote

The following is based on a very short (to the end of the block and back) test due to battery life (or lack of it.) All of this is based on the software from www.obd-2.com.

Instantant Miles is calculated from the vehicle speed sensor data.
    Instant fuel usage is calculated from the Mass Air Flow Sensor data.
    Instant miles per gallon is simply the quotient of Instant Miles divided by Instant Gallons.

If the ScanGuage does the same thing (calculate the good stuff based on required ODB-2 data), then at least some of, if not all their goodies should work on '96+ MPV's (or anyother car) with ODB-II ports - as long as they don't use the CAN protocol.

FWIW, would I spend the $100 U.S.? The only thing it would buy me is the convience of not having to carry my laptop down to the garage and being able to leave it connected while driving. I would loose the ability to save and review individual sessions, which is helpfull when swapping parts with your friends MPV Smile . The money would be better spent, for me at least, on replacing the battery in my laptop so I can drive further than the end of the block with it hooked up. So I think I'll pass for right now.

2006 Explorer XLT
lazyfox_
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: OBDII Scan Tool, Digital Gauges and a Trip Computer Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes hmmmmm http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17785

Also I found answer to the compatibility issue.
Quote:

compatible
Year / Make / Model(s) / Engine(L)
1996 All All All
1997 All All All
1998 All All All
1999 All All All
2000 All All All
2001 All All All
2002 All All All

lazyfox_
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: OBDII Scan Tool, Digital Gauges and a Trip Computer Reply with quote

OK, here is the deal. I contacted Ron at Linear-Logic and we can get the $20 rebate. It will apply to all ScanGauge purchases made on or before September 4, 2004. Just go to this link http://www.scanguage.com/purchasing.htm to use the BuyNow button. You can pay with PayPal or credit card. After you receive your ScanGauge, just email your name and address (must match the name and address where the ScanGauge was shipped) to MPVClub.rebate@linear-logic.com and you will receive $20 check back.

BTW, I ordered mine right now.

edrubins
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: OBDII Scan Tool, Digital Gauges and a Trip Computer Reply with quote

Great LF. At $100 it was a no brainer. Since I had obd-2.com's software on the laptop who needed this? But at $79 I gotta rethink this again. Argggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh. I don't know
2006 Explorer XLT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Group Buys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: