MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

OBDII Scan Tool, Digital Gauges and a Trip Computer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: OBDII Scan Tool, Digital Gauges and a Trip Computer Reply with quote

That stinks if it can't calculate MPG even if it's not supplied by the vehicle.

FWIW, the OBD-2 software calculates it in the Equation section from the menubar. It uses 2 pieces to get 'instant' MPG:

DI = Distance Instant Miles = VSS * t / 3600
FI = Fuel Instant Gallons = 1 / (14.75*6.26) * MAF * t / 60

MPGI = DI / FI

VSS and MAF are values provided by the connection. t is the time provided by the computer for the current connection.

And it does work on the MPV. I took some logs I had from last year during a trip and opened the equation screen. Once I ran through the replay, I had values for DI and FI, therefore MPGI was available too.

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()
TomNansMPV

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: OBDII Scan Tool, Digital Gauges and a Trip Computer Reply with quote

Yeah, I think I'm beginning to get the picture: Scanguage doesn't calculate MPG, so that function only works on vehicles that provide that information. And I guess the MPV doesn't. Evil or Very Mad

I played around with this thing tonight and I'm not sure I'm going to keep it anyway. The only place on the MPV dash that is reasonable to mount is behind the wheel on the dash. The dash is curved, so it probably wouldn't be too stable. Also, I would find it VERY distracting, especially at night, with those five orange buttons and the guage just below my eye level.

From LinearLogic site:

Try it risk free!! 30 day unconditional money back guarantee. We pay USA shipping BOTH ways!! Thank god!

This is a great idea, but it needs alot of refinement. Mine's going back tomorrow. Sad

Tom

2003 MPV ES

Sage Green, GFX W/rear spoiler, 4-Seasons, 6CD, FogLights, Rear Bumper Step Plate, Donnelly autodim/comp/temp mirror, Euro antenna, SilverStar heads/fogs, Weathertech cargo liner, Mazda bug shield, K&N air filter, Mazda front mask, ScanGauge

1993 626 DX - 171,000 miles
lazyfox_
MPVClub Posting Maniac
sleepless computer addict
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: OBDII Scan Tool, Digital Gauges and a Trip Computer Reply with quote

Tom, you might hang on to it for a while, it might be a bug in firmware. Ron asked me to send some code to get response back. He want's me to send one more code with engine runing, to make sure, but I need to wait untill tomorrow morning (wouldn't wake DW and kids with the garage door Wink ).

Ron wrote:
... Your results show that it should work. WE HAVE A BUG IN THE FIRMWARE.

The response shows that there is no MAP reported but, that there is MAF
reported and all the other things we need to compute fuel consumption. Our
algorithm also takes in some temperature and other sensor data, but the
overall method is similar to what is in the "laptop" method.

Can you try one more command? ...

2002 Mazda MPV ES Sunlight Silver Zoom-Zoom
2009 MAZDA3 s Grand Touring 5-Door Stormy Blue Mica Zoooom-Zoooooom

[img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/cz.gif[/img:f9299cb053] [img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/usa.gif[/img:f9299cb053]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: OBDII Scan Tool, Digital Gauges and a Trip Computer Reply with quote

So you provided those *secret* formula's from the laptop version to Ron? He should already know how to get MPG, shouldn't he? Razz

I don't see manifold pressure (MAP) in the values from any saved data pulls from our MPV. MAF is available (as noted before).

I *do* see MAP data from my previous Outback data. I gather it should be there for my XT as well, going to get a serial to USB converter today as my laptop is sans serial ports.

-Brian

TomNansMPV

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: OBDII Scan Tool, Digital Gauges and a Trip Computer Reply with quote

LAZYFOX, you da man!! Cool

I emailed LL last evening and just got a response. Ron said the MPV is the first vehicle they've found that does not report gas mileage. (the 1%? Evil or Very Mad ) He is sending a prepaid shipping lable for me to use to send back the unit, which is all packed and ready to go.

HOWEVER, if a firmware upgrade would set things right as Ron's email to you seems to suggest, I will keep the unit. But, we would still have to send the units back to LL to be upgraded, right? I can live with that. Smile

I'm STILL having fits about where to put the thing, though. I'm finding that the MPV dash just doesn't seem to have a convenient place. I set the unit behind the steering wheel so it would be just below my line of sight while I'm driving (not permanantly, this was in my driveway with the engine running); It does not block my view but it is SO distracting! Shocked

There also isn't anywhere under the dash that I could find where it would mount securely. Even if there was, if you wanted to glance at it or enter another parameter, you would be putting yourself in an unsafe situation.
The MPV's nice, curvey, aesthetically pleasing dash just doesn't want to work with a little black box!! Razz Oh, BTW, my unit also automatically was set or sensed the 3.0L engine size, FWIW.

These are just my observations, and I would really like to have your observations, also, since it seems likely that LL may be able to solve the MPG issue.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears to me that LL is the only one out there that is marketing a product like this (not including OBDII scanners that require software and a laptop) and I commend them for it. I also commend them for doing business the way the are. Cool

Anyhow, let's continue to keep each other and the club members informed since you and I seem to be the "pathfinders" in this venture!

Thanks!

Tom

2003 MPV ES

Sage Green, GFX W/rear spoiler, 4-Seasons, 6CD, FogLights, Rear Bumper Step Plate, Donnelly autodim/comp/temp mirror, Euro antenna, SilverStar heads/fogs, Weathertech cargo liner, Mazda bug shield, K&N air filter, Mazda front mask, ScanGauge

subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: OBDII Scan Tool, Digital Gauges and a Trip Computer Reply with quote

According to the data stream from my Outback, it doesn't report MPG either. But, using the calculations above, it can figure it out. I don't necessarily know if OBDII has to report MPG, but rather just provide the input values necessary for it.

My guess is they depend on MAP for their MPG figure.

-Brian

lazyfox_
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: OBDII Scan Tool, Digital Gauges and a Trip Computer Reply with quote

OK, I did the last code sent to the engine while running and it returned non zero MAF value, so it seems Ron has a bug as he said he uses MAP or MAF to calculate the MPG values. Lets keep the fingers crossed and hope there is abug and after fixing it it should work.

The thing is bulky. I'm not thinking about putting it up on dash, it seems OK if I want to use it while driving to peak at it when you place it on the front ashtray space within the front cupholder. I plan to store it in the CD cupboard under the cupholder. I plan to play with the thing when I'm passenger as my DW drives, so I would hold the thing in my hand.

For this discounted price (I don't know about any other deal like this) it is selfcontained package with no need for laptop which I like. One thing I'd miss compared to laptop is that it doesn't record values over period of the time in graph like manner, but who knows, maybe serial port would still fit on the box and could be easy upgrade to the ScanGauge, so it could pass data to the laptop.

I was also thinking about another aditional module which would work nicely with the ScanGauge. If it would be cheap attachment to turn the ScanGauge into a Heads Up Display(HUD) like here.

[img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/cz.gif[/img:f9299cb053] [img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/usa.gif[/img:f9299cb053]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lazyfox_
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: OBDII Scan Tool, Digital Gauges and a Trip Computer Reply with quote

Update. Ron will need someones MPV in the Phoenix area to fix the problem if possible. So I PMed to spd33, hopefuly he will be willing to let Ron in his MPV for the incentive of getting complimentary ScanGauge.

spd33

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: OBDII Scan Tool, Digital Gauges and a Trip Computer Reply with quote

No prob at all. I'm always glad to help, especially with something like this. I pm'd you my contact info so Ron can get a hold of me.
- Andy

'03 Mazda MPV ES GFX - Midnight Blue Mica

'01.5 VW Passat Wagon - Fresco Green
lazyfox_
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: OBDII Scan Tool, Digital Gauges and a Trip Computer Reply with quote

Cool, thanks.

TomNansMPV

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: OBDII Scan Tool, Digital Gauges and a Trip Computer Reply with quote

Sounds promising, guys.

Now here is another problem:

I had some errands to run thisafternoon (It's my day off) which resulted in a trip of over 70 miles.

The Scanguage MPH reading was SIX MPH LOWER than the MPV's speedo!

What the h--lHuh? Shocked

Yes, I'm using the stock tires/wheels, no mods there. SIX MPH!! CONSISTENTLY!! UNACCEPTABLE!!! Twisted Evil

What gives?? Question

Well, at least the RPM readout was spot-on with the MPV's tachometer Rolling Eyes

Tom banghead

2003 MPV ES

edrubins
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: OBDII Scan Tool, Digital Gauges and a Trip Computer Reply with quote

Vehicle speed is a direct read from the OBD-2 port. I'm guessing the ScanGauge is just displaying what it sees.
2006 Explorer XLT
96 MPV Deerslayer. (Still for sale)
TomNansMPV

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: OBDII Scan Tool, Digital Gauges and a Trip Computer Reply with quote

edrubins wrote:
Vehicle speed is a direct read from the OBD-2 port. I'm guessing the ScanGauge is just displaying what it sees.

Are we saying that Scanguage is right and my speedo is off that much???

Arrhhgggggg!!!! Twisted Evil

Tom

2003 MPV ES

spd33

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: OBDII Scan Tool, Digital Gauges and a Trip Computer Reply with quote

TomNansMPV wrote:
Sounds promising, guys.

Now here is another problem:

I had some errands to run thisafternoon (It's my day off) which resulted in a trip of over 70 miles.

The Scanguage MPH reading was SIX MPH LOWER than the MPV's speedo!:

Mazda must've built that slack in there to keep you out of trouble with the Fuzz!

- Andy

'03 Mazda MPV ES GFX - Midnight Blue Mica

'01.5 VW Passat Wagon - Fresco Green
lazyfox_
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: OBDII Scan Tool, Digital Gauges and a Trip Computer Reply with quote

Mine reads about 4MPH lower. Actually Ron said on the F150 forum, that the diff between ScanGauge and your car speedo is percentage, so the amount of diff MPH changes with speed.

Does it mean that the ScanGauge out of the OBDII is more accurate than the hand on my speedo? Would be logical as the digital should be more accurate than translation into analogue hand on the clock.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Group Buys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: