MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

AUX-in for 2003/2004 MPV
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Audio, Video, Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shotime

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: AUX-in for 2003/2004 MPV Reply with quote

I just got the kit and installed it on my 04 MPV LX.
I'm running into one (big) problem - it's not loud enough. If I set the headunit volume to the MAX (around 34) volume, it sounds like a 10 (out of 34) setting while listening to the radio.

I set the volume on my mp3 player to 2 (out of 10). If I set it any higher, the sound distorts.

As a comparison, I can set the mp3 player volume to 8 (out of 10) for my Belkin Tunecast II FM Transmitter, and the sound comes thru normally on the headunit.

So what do you think the problem is and what to do?

--
By the way, installation was as easy as you said - if not easier. The only problem I had was figuring how much force to use while pulling the dash cover off. I was afraid that I would use too much force.

Sunlight Silver Metalic 2004 MPV LX mfg date Dec 03, purchased Jul 04
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: AUX-in for 2003/2004 MPV Reply with quote

Sounds (pun intended) like the aux-in unit is expecting a line-in feed, not a headphone feed. Is there another out on the mp3 player? Or perhaps there is a different line-in on the aux-in. I don't know

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()
shotime

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: AUX-in for 2003/2004 MPV Reply with quote

Unfortunately, my mp3 player doesn't have a line-out.
Maybe I'll try it with another portable player to see what it does.
But don't you use the headphone out from an iPod?

By the way, I bought the miniplug cable adapter instead of the RCA-in adapter.
Shouldn't make a difference, right? I mean, I'd still be using my headphone-out jack, just the same. That's what the instructions say anyways.

shotime

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: AUX-in for 2003/2004 MPV Reply with quote

ok, I read the description again, it says "line-out", not headphone out.
Great, now what?

subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: AUX-in for 2003/2004 MPV Reply with quote

You should be able to set the mp3 player volume at 5-ish for decent sound to the deck. But, my guess is that the miniplug thing is doing something to the signal or is not the right type for the signal that the mp3 player puts out. The player should have a specs sheet (in the manual) that specifies the line-out power. You need to find a miniplug or other converter that accepts that power spec.

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()
shotime

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: AUX-in for 2003/2004 MPV Reply with quote

Ok, I think I figured it out.

Using my AUDIOPHASE CD/MP3 player and plugged into my headphone jack, if I put the volume setting to anything higher then 3 to 5, the sound starts distorting and even then, it's not loud enough.

Using a MEMOREX CD/MP3 player, which has a line-out AND headphone plug, the sound is PERFECT. It's perfect on both the line-out and headphone jacks.

So, the problem is with my Audiophase CD/MP3 player and not the headphone output or the minijack. Guess it's time to buy a more compatible player or any cheap mod I can do to the player?

papabear
MPVClub Posting Maniac
born again runner
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: AUX-in for 2003/2004 MPV Reply with quote

You could tear it open both players, see what kind of opamp is in the mp3 and duplicate it on the cdp but that might not be the kind of thing you were hoping to hear... Rolling Eyes
Rogelio (ro-hel'-lyo)
07 Ody EX-L w/navi&dvd
The other cars...

08 Nissan Altima Hybrid
shotime

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: AUX-in for 2003/2004 MPV Reply with quote

UPDATE:

It's not a problem with my MP3 player afterall.
I contacted tech support and they seem to feel that it was an uncommon ground problem. So they suggested that I use the Cigarette Lighter Power instead of battery power on my MP3 player.

So far, the Cigarette Lighter Power seems to work. But need to test it more to make sure.

Also, if it is a grounding issue, how do I ground it if I have a player that doesn't have a cigarette lighter power. And, since I'm using the KCM-123 miniplug adapter, (instead of KCM-122 RCA adapter), how do I ground it?

Hungarianguy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: AUX-in for 2003/2004 MPV Reply with quote

I was looking thru the above posts since i want to connect my ipod to the car. It looks like it would cost ~ 150 or more to do this. Isn't it better just to replace the stereo instead with one that has a line in at the front? What stereos would be good if any?
papabear
MPVClub Posting Maniac
born again runner
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: AUX-in for 2003/2004 MPV Reply with quote

I believe JVC and Panasonic have a number of head units with aux in the front as well as lower end makes like audiovox.

Check crutchfield or etronics.com. Any standard single din head unit will fit and you can go double din if you wish to use the whole space where the modular OEM head unit fits.

Rogelio (ro-hel'-lyo)
07 Ody EX-L w/navi&dvd
The other cars...

08 Nissan Altima Hybrid
shotime

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: AUX-in for 2003/2004 MPV Reply with quote

You are right, maybe spend a couple hundred dollars to buy a unit with built in aux-in and built in mp3. But here's my justification.
1. My actual total cost (with shipping) was $105 US. I did the install myself. It was that easy.
2. Didn't want to modify the look of my new MPV. If I bought another system, it would make my dashboard look different - it won't have the Mazda look anymore.
3. Steering wheel controls. Would another unit work with it?
4. Simplicity - how much and how easy would it be for you to install another unit? It would take a lot of time to research this. I don't have the time.

Money is an issue, but to add to that, so is the time and effort to do research on what would work.
And so is aethetics, and functionality (of the steering controls), should also be factored in.

Good luck.

papabear
MPVClub Posting Maniac
born again runner
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: AUX-in for 2003/2004 MPV Reply with quote

Shotime,

I think installing a aftermarket headunit is quite simple nowadays with wire kits for most makes available from places like Crutchfield. The only thing that would be a compromise would be the steering wheel controls and many of the aftermarket radios come with thumb controls or card remote controls nowadays anyway.

I agree, I would prefer the OEM look especially for security purposes, and aftermarket headunits would cost more than $105 with MP3 and aux-in front features, but you could get improved sound and a better upgrade platform for amps and speakers(if you were to go that route later).

Really, it just depends on your personal needs and future goals. The aux-in kit is a great find though for people wanting the full OEM look and functionality.

Did you ever find out about your grounding issue with your set-up?

Rogelio (ro-hel'-lyo)
07 Ody EX-L w/navi&dvd
The other cars...

08 Nissan Altima Hybrid
shotime

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: AUX-in for 2003/2004 MPV Reply with quote

Great advice on aftermarket units.

Grounding.

Ever since I started using the cigarette lighter plug for power, the sound has been perfect with no distortion.

Tech support suggested that I have a wire touch the round part of the "din" plug of the KM 123b and ground it to the car/radio.
I haven't had time to do it yet, but when I do, I'll let everyone know the result.

pedxing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: AUX-in for 2003/2004 MPV Reply with quote

The Sylfex aux input is ready and shipping in small amounts. I got mine yesterday, and can verify that it works in my Miata, which has a head unit substantially similar to my '02 MPV. Therefore, I expect that it would also work in the MPV. This thing is awesome - great sound, complete integration (you just press TAPE and it works) and cheap. The PIE solution did NOT work with the '02 MPV, by the way.

Anyway, check it out here:
http://www.sylfex.com/products/AuxMod/

Stephen
mpvoutback

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: AUX-in for 2003/2004 MPV Reply with quote

Im in desperate need of an aux input for my 2004 MPV. Could you post pics of your install? Im not sure how that board will interface with the stereo. Also can you still use the volume controls on steering wheel? This seems like a must with that dumb gear shift where it is.

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Audio, Video, Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: