MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Speed limits on rural interstate highways
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What speed limit do you favor on rural interstates?
50 mph or slower
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
55 mph
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
60 mph
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
65 mph
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
70 mph
38%
 38%  [ 7 ]
75 mph
27%
 27%  [ 5 ]
80 mph
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
85 mph
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
A speed limit at 90 mph or higher
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No speed limit at all
16%
 16%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 18

Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Speed limits on rural interstate highways Reply with quote

There has been discussion on the board regarding speed limits in the past, and this topic 80 mph speed limit legislation in Arizona fails reminded me of the subject.

So here is a poll: What speed limit do you think is reasonable on rural interstate highways that have no other safety issues that need to be taken into account?

Dan
2001 Rainforest Green LX (164,795 miles)--Minnie (The vacationator)
2006 Honda Civic EX with NAVI and 5sp MT (102,338 miles, new block at 89K) (Dan's daily driver)--Blue Car
Sold (scrapped) on 10/30/04 at 165,599.4 miles....1987 Honda Accord DX (165K miles)--Tan Car
Sold (scrapped) on 9/26/09 at 148406.4 miles and 24 years old....1985 Toyota Camry LE --Brown Car (Dan's former daily driver)
And more human powered bikes than I can count.....
lazyfox_
MPVClub Posting Maniac
sleepless computer addict
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Speed limits on rural interstate highways Reply with quote

I'd say 70MPH, the extra 5MPH would be nice from usual 65MPH in Cali.

I would not go higher as I think that large amount of US drivers just can't handle that. The problem with getting out of the lane to let faster vehickle go is a big problem (at least from what I see here in the Bay Area). Increasing the limit significantly would require at least generation or two of drivers to get propper education on how to drive like in Germany etc.

2002 Mazda MPV ES Sunlight Silver Zoom-Zoom
2009 MAZDA3 s Grand Touring 5-Door Stormy Blue Mica Zoooom-Zoooooom

[img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/cz.gif[/img:f9299cb053] [img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/usa.gif[/img:f9299cb053]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Beachnut
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Speed limits on rural interstate highways Reply with quote

Well, if safety issues are not to be included in the discussion I would have to say "no limit at all". I enjoy driving somewhere between 85 to 100mph. After that it really depends on the car and whether it feels stable enough at high rates of speed.
Scott
'03 MPV LX/GFX Midnight Blue
'98 Volvo V70 T5
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Speed limits on rural interstate highways Reply with quote

70 is a nice round number, ain't it? 75 wouldn't be bad either. I guess the thing that would make this work is proper following of the 'slower vehicles move to the right lane' rule...

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Speed limits on rural interstate highways Reply with quote

Having spent a fair amount of time on rural interstates last week, I can't come up with an answer. No matter what you set the speed limit at, people will drive faster. And no matter how low you set it, you could always lower it more and make the roads safer.

So I came up with what I thought was an interesting idea. Let the speed be self regulated by drivers on the highway. By that I mean, if everyone drives at roughly the same speed, just let 'em go. Drivers seem to be able to speed up or slow down as conditions (weather, heavy or light traffic, road conditions, etc.) require, If someone is driving blatantly faster or slower than "traffic", such that they are a hazard, they would be subject to being pulled over. I know this may not be the easiest thing to be codified into law, but it might be interesting to see how it would work out. Just an idea for thought....

Question: I understand that the Autobahn in Germany has no speed limit. If that is true, how does it work for them? Does anyone have any experience driving there?

Dan
2006 Honda Civic EX with NAVI and 5sp MT (102,338 miles, new block at 89K) (Dan's daily driver)--Blue Car
Sold (scrapped) on 10/30/04 at 165,599.4 miles....1987 Honda Accord DX (165K miles)--Tan Car
Sold (scrapped) on 9/26/09 at 148406.4 miles and 24 years old....1985 Toyota Camry LE --Brown Car (Dan's former daily driver)
lazyfox_
MPVClub Posting Maniac
sleepless computer addict
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Speed limits on rural interstate highways Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
Question: I understand that the Autobahn in Germany has no speed limit. If that is true, how does it work for them? Does anyone have any experience driving there?
I have driven only once in Germany, way back when we went to CeBit. But it is pretty much similar to what we drive in CZ, thought there are speed limits (increased on the HGHWY and decreased in the city recently). You just go your comfortable speed and keep in the lane. If someone is slower than you, you just pass him and get back in your lane. That leaves the most left lane pretty much empty for passing and those really fast drivers. I have a friend, who works for German company. Once I was on call with him while he was driving there, he sudenly said, that he had to let a guy go as he was faster than him, thought my friend was doing 200KM/h. He got actually flashed, that's what you do if you are unnoticed, you just flash the driver in front of you. If I'm not mistaken, it is illegal in Europe to pass on right side on the HGHWY, unless it's in the city in continuous traffic. In general, it is pretty much self regulatory driving. Actually when you go to Germany, I remember that you are reminded about the fact that you might have problems with distance perception as the faster cars catch up with you sooner, so you need to watch out when looking in rear view mirror while passing cars on the HGHWY over there.
2002 Mazda MPV ES Sunlight Silver Zoom-Zoom
2009 MAZDA3 s Grand Touring 5-Door Stormy Blue Mica Zoooom-Zoooooom

[img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/cz.gif[/img:f9299cb053] [img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/usa.gif[/img:f9299cb053]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Speed limits on rural interstate highways Reply with quote

If they can't catch you, it doesn't matter what the speed limit is. Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Speed limits on rural interstate highways Reply with quote

javadoc wrote:
If they can't catch you, it doesn't matter what the speed limit is. Twisted Evil

True, but if they really want to catch you they probably will. You can't outrun radio waves or helicopters, and those nasty tire deflators pose their own set of problems.

Dan
papabear
MPVClub Posting Maniac
born again runner
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Speed limits on rural interstate highways Reply with quote

Or that harpoon device they used in "2Fast 2Furious" is that thing for real?
Rogelio (ro-hel'-lyo)
07 Ody EX-L w/navi&dvd
The other cars...

08 Nissan Altima Hybrid
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Speed limits on rural interstate highways Reply with quote

But, when I close my eyes, I use my super-hero Invisibility power. No one can see me that way! Works just GREAT around sharp curves in the road too, where invisibility is most important.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gorockrx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Speed limits on rural interstate highways Reply with quote

Well,
I can't resist throwing in my .02 cents in... Smile

Just be glad if you don't have to drive in MS....they are nuts down here insane

Please keep in mind that this is just my opinion..not meant to upset anyone...I know I am new to the board...but I am not new to driving...(have about 1.5 Million miles under the belt Shocked as well as lots of training)

IMHO there is no reason to have a "speed limit" unless all drivers are properly trained.....IF they can't drive safely at 5mph...then they can't drive safe at 105mph, or at 55, 65, 70...or any speed for that matter.....the speed is NOT the issue until you hit something. The sudden stopping is what gets ya.

BUT...we must play to the lowest common denominator which is... the untrained and/or incompetent driver... Mad

The stats say that most wrecks do NOT occur at high speed OR directly due to high speed......it's the difference in speed or wreckless manuvers that kill folks. People not paying attention to the serious task at hand....etc...

First of all driving is serious and people need to PAY ATTENTION to what they are doing!! Don't follow closer than 2 seconds behind ANY other vehicle because you won't be able to stop in time with any less seperation, DO NOT drive next to ANY Vehicle unless passing, especially semi's or large vehicles (I have watched people get killed that way), ...ONLY use the left lane to pass..., LEARN how to properly "merge" into traffic....and use the right pedal....not the middle....

O, and my favorite down here in good ol' MS......DON'T STOP ON THE ON-RAMP..AHHHHHHGGGGHHH banghead Merge onto the road please!!! They do that here in MS all the time...and it is VERY dangerous. Come up an on-ramp to get up to speed and there is Granny.....at a dead STOP at the TOP...... heart misses 2 or 3 beats as I just miss clobbering her.... stupid

A performance driving class requirement would probably be helpful. It's just common sense most of the time...Also, keeping the car in good shape...especially the tires....is important.

Well, that was a book and a half.......I think I better put my soapbox back under the seat again....whew! Bored at work...haha....I'm outta here burnout
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Speed limits on rural interstate highways Reply with quote

The on-ramp slowpokes get to me too. Luckily the main on-ramp we use is a 2 lane one, so I just scoot over and zoom by.

This is a nice friendly group here. I think you'll fit in just fine! Cool

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()
gorockrx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Speed limits on rural interstate highways Reply with quote

O....almost forgot a good story.....
Now...I DON'T have confirmation of this...but it is from a Highway Patrol Officer on the coast who went to our church...so I don't think he just made it up....

State HWY Patrol was getting a reading on radar of about 200+mph only on like a Tuesday night at 0200am every week for over a month in the same area on HWY 10 going East....but they couldn't see anything.....

No one could figure it out....until one night a cop brought his night scope from home to see in the dark...and O BOY did they find something interesting...

Ends up that drug runners had fixed up a Lamborgini Countach (early 90's, don't know the year), and had taken off ALL the lights, blacked out all the windows and smoothed out all the holes and seams etc....used drab flat black paint...etc...special mufflers that were amazingly quiet special wheels etc......AND GET THIS...the driver was full dressed out in black with a VERY expensive set of high power military style night vision goggles. He would run 200mph plus on the interstate once a week depending on the weather and would make a high speed run accross the Gulf Coast!

Once they figured it out, it took them another month or so to figure out a plan on how to stop em (200mph is pretty fast!!)....set up a road block and such....that car had been running that route for over 2 years or something like that....Crazy Stuff!! Finally got caught though.....very fast car, but

Hard to beat the speed of a radio... Get Him!

The cops used the money confiscated to buy new patrol cars, radar guns, vests for the officers...etc....it was a lot of cash...PLUS the car..Whoa!
gorockrx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Speed limits on rural interstate highways Reply with quote

Awwwhhh....watch out....I'm writing whole books tonight.... Grin

I better stop now....
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Speed limits on rural interstate highways Reply with quote

The 200 mph night goggle story is a good one, but I believe it is an Urban Legend.
Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: