MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

my trip to the philippines
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Driving Fun and Road Trips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverMPnyc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: my trip to the philippines Reply with quote

ARJOSHUA wrote:
sooooo....... i just got back from my second trip from the island boy i miss the 30+degrees Celsius weather Sad ...couple of news updates mazda philippines are coming full out with their model lines ups first the mazda 3's are hot news... its gaining popularity more than civics,corrolas/altiz and lancers...big brother 6 is also getting popular popular but somewhat lags behind the camry's, ceferio's (maxima here) and galants....rumour has it that mazda 5 will be coming to the philippines....bummer i guess they wont see any MPV's......besides checking out on mazdas....couple of BMW 1 series yeap thats right its smaller than the 3 series.... lots of CRV's and RAV 4's on the street though.....speaking of SUV Ford philippines came out with this model called "everest" its size is similar to the freestyle?? and its powered by a 2.5 intercooled turbo diesel....hmmmm

heres a link about mazda's philippines:
http://www.manilatimes.net/national/2004/feb/17/yehey/business/20040217bus17.html
http://www.manilatimes.net/national/2004/jun/29/yehey/business/20040629bus13.html

also i got some toys for my van got a portable dvd player tablet styled..its not a flip style type player but a one whole screen and the disc is inserted behind the screen preaty neat i'll post some pics later

but anyway just ranting here glad to be back but whats up with this -10 temp. and the white stuff on the ground Mad Surprised Very Happy

Wow, I didn't know there were so many filipinos in this club! Very Happy .

I remember seeing the Ford Everest when I was back there a couple of years back; I actually sat in it when they had that and the Lynx (??) up for display at Green Hills (a mall). I think its a rebadge of the previous generation Ford Explorer Sport-trak (4 dr. Ranger pickup basically).

And diesels are fun, I wish they were more popular stateside like in the rest of the world... I learned to drive stick on my uncle's 2.5 TDI Isuzu Hilander, that was a rough ride Very Happy Very Happy

2005 Subaru Outbact XT 6spd.

*RIP* 2004 Silver MPV LX
*RIP* 2003 Subaru Legacy L "Special Edition" -6 Spd. & ej205 swap vf23, 1993 Ford Taurus LX
papabear
MPVClub Posting Maniac
born again runner
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: my trip to the philippines Reply with quote

Silver,

My ate just came back from a NY trip. She saw Rent and did a lot of shopping in Chinatown (didn't ask her to look for car accessories though).

She said that she met a filipino in chinatown that said the filipino restaurants in NY are not that good. She heard that there are a lot of pinoys in Queens and wondered if that's where she should have looked. Just for references, you know any good filipino eats in the city or which area is best to look for them?

Maraming salamat...

Rogelio (ro-hel'-lyo)
07 Ody EX-L w/navi&dvd
The other cars...

08 Nissan Altima Hybrid
SilverMPnyc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: my trip to the philippines Reply with quote

papabear wrote:
Silver,

My ate just came back from a NY trip. She saw Rent and did a lot of shopping in Chinatown (didn't ask her to look for car accessories though).

She said that she met a filipino in chinatown that said the filipino restaurants in NY are not that good. She heard that there are a lot of pinoys in Queens and wondered if that's where she should have looked. Just for references, you know any good filipino eats in the city or which area is best to look for them?

Maraming salamat...

Hi papabear,
Glad your sister enjoyed her trip here Razz Yeah you won't find many pinoys living in Manhattan ("in the city" in New Yorker talk), most of us live in the outer boroughs, mostly in Queens. To be honest, you won't find many good and cheap pinoy eateries like you can out in the West Coast...mmm Las Vegas pinoy buffet ^_^...anyway, if your ate wants to find a lot of pinoys, there's a relatively large neighborhood in Elmhurst, Queens, mixed in with other Asian communities - one of the better places to eat there is Krystal's, under the 7 train (Elmhurst/Flushing is sort of the new chinatown here in NYC). Theyre more known for cakes and pastries but they serve merienda and regular meals as well.

There's also one place out in around Bayside (northern part of Queens); the name escapes me at the moment, but there's another good place out there- you'll need a car or take the bus though, there aren't as many subways like in Manhattan. They're like a Filipino bakery/restaurant that's in a mostly Latino/Black community, so most of their regular customers aren't pinoy. However, they're also known for their catering business- especially whole lechon Twisted Evil .

*RIP* 2004 Silver MPV LX
*RIP* 2003 Subaru Legacy L "Special Edition" -6 Spd. & ej205 swap vf23, 1993 Ford Taurus LX
lazyfox_
MPVClub Posting Maniac
sleepless computer addict
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: my trip to the philippines Reply with quote

aaaaah, I'd have some of that

finaly something else than balut eggs Wink

2002 Mazda MPV ES Sunlight Silver Zoom-Zoom
2009 MAZDA3 s Grand Touring 5-Door Stormy Blue Mica Zoooom-Zoooooom

[img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/cz.gif[/img:f9299cb053] [img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/usa.gif[/img:f9299cb053]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ARJOSHUA
MPVClub Addict
left foot braker
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: my trip to the philippines Reply with quote

oh oh ...here we go again every time we talk anything about filipinos or philippines the conversation always always ends up with foods.....whats up with that Very Happy liplick
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2179082

03' MPV ES: TEIN S-Tech, 19"x 8.5 + 45 Conceptone Visions ,Fuzions 245/35/19, H.I.D Projector retro-fit FX-R w/ clear lens mod,HKS air filter, Fujitsubo Wagolis muffler,Auto Exe grill,Mintblue rearspoiler,jdm widow visors,04' Tail lights,Gargage vary front lip, Jdm side mirror blinkers
papabear
MPVClub Posting Maniac
born again runner
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: my trip to the philippines Reply with quote

SilverMPnyc wrote:
Hi papabear,
Glad your sister enjoyed her trip here Razz Yeah you won't find many pinoys living in Manhattan ("in the city" in New Yorker talk), most of us live in the outer boroughs, mostly in Queens. To be honest, you won't find many good and cheap pinoy eateries like you can out in the West Coast...mmm Las Vegas pinoy buffet ^_^...anyway, if your ate wants to find a lot of pinoys, there's a relatively large neighborhood in Elmhurst, Queens, mixed in with other Asian communities - one of the better places to eat there is Krystal's, under the 7 train (Elmhurst/Flushing is sort of the new chinatown here in NYC). Theyre more known for cakes and pastries but they serve merienda and regular meals as well.

There's also one place out in around Bayside (northern part of Queens); the name escapes me at the moment, but there's another good place out there- you'll need a car or take the bus though, there aren't as many subways like in Manhattan. They're like a Filipino bakery/restaurant that's in a mostly Latino/Black community, so most of their regular customers aren't pinoy. However, they're also known for their catering business- especially whole lechon Twisted Evil .

Well I guess this is another reason not to relocate just yet from the west coast. Too much good eats around here!

Man don't you know that diet is more than half the battle in weight control?! Plus we gots a biggest loser contest up and coming.

AR you're right. That's just typical filipino...

LF is an honorary just for liking some of the food (the good ones)!

More OT:

Quote:
"Top Five Reasons Why Filipinos Should've Played Hobbits in the film, LORD OF THE RINGS".
5. From the kneecaps down, Filipino men got some hairy-arse feet. I have cousins in the Philippines who still don't wear shoes, cause barefeet are more comfortable.

4. When it comes to gold rings, we might be the last ones on Earth to give them up. I have mean aunties who love to brag about their rings yet never show them to us...those greedy assho__s!

3. Having names like Bilbo, Frodo and Pippin ain't nothing to many of us who have uncles and aunties already named Beng Beng, Jun Jun, Alwin and Baby.

2. Having tall white men with their larger than life tales come to our lands to recruit us into fighting their wars is also nothing new. General McArthur/Gandalf....hmmm?, you tell me.

1. And many years after the One true ring is destroyed after so much death and sacrifice, Hobbits, like Filipinos, will probably never get their due Middle Earth War Veteran benefits.

From our man Rex Navarette who will be taping a new dvd in June at the Warfield.

Rogelio (ro-hel'-lyo)
07 Ody EX-L w/navi&dvd
The other cars...

08 Nissan Altima Hybrid
lazyfox_
MPVClub Posting Maniac
sleepless computer addict
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: my trip to the philippines Reply with quote

He he he, here is the Czech version from the Czech Street Festival 2003 in NY cty

to bad that NorCal has no Czech cuisine, at leat I have the German butcher shop in Mountain View and perhaps still the Elbe restaurant in Palo Alto (I should check if they are still in business and maybe we can do lunch there some day PB Wink )

2002 Mazda MPV ES Sunlight Silver Zoom-Zoom
2009 MAZDA3 s Grand Touring 5-Door Stormy Blue Mica Zoooom-Zoooooom

[img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/cz.gif[/img:f9299cb053] [img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/usa.gif[/img:f9299cb053]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
papabear
MPVClub Posting Maniac
born again runner
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: my trip to the philippines Reply with quote

This looks good:Ražničí with boiled potato

And so does this:Potato pancake with Hungarian goulash and vegetables.

How many points would those two meals get you? Wink

Rogelio (ro-hel'-lyo)
07 Ody EX-L w/navi&dvd
The other cars...

08 Nissan Altima Hybrid
mrey16533
pandaudio

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: my trip to the philippines Reply with quote

Mabuhay!

So happy to here that there are Filipinos from this club.
What is the latest news in there. How bad is the traffic specially on South Super Highway? Are there still drivers overtaking using the shoulder?
I miss the challenging traffic there especially if you want to change lane, other drivers will speed up and will not allow you will honking their horns. Smile

MPV ALL SPORT 1997 2WD
Radio Control Addict - Tamiya, Traxxas, Duratrax and Team Associated owner Smile
ARJOSHUA
MPVClub Addict
left foot braker
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: my trip to the philippines Reply with quote

welcome kabayan theres about 4-6 filipinos club members on these forums

03' MPV ES: TEIN S-Tech, 19"x 8.5 + 45 Conceptone Visions ,Fuzions 245/35/19, H.I.D Projector retro-fit FX-R w/ clear lens mod,HKS air filter, Fujitsubo Wagolis muffler,Auto Exe grill,Mintblue rearspoiler,jdm widow visors,04' Tail lights,Gargage vary front lip, Jdm side mirror blinkers
mr.zoom

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: my trip to the philippines Reply with quote

ARJOSHUA wrote:
welcome kabayan theres about 4-6 filipinos club members on these forums

I disagree.....I think there are more than that.
SilverMPnyc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: my trip to the philippines Reply with quote

mrey16533 wrote:
Mabuhay!

So happy to here that there are Filipinos from this club.
What is the latest news in there. How bad is the traffic specially on South Super Highway? Are there still drivers overtaking using the shoulder?
I miss the challenging traffic there especially if you want to change lane, other drivers will speed up and will not allow you will honking their horns. Smile

I just got back 2 weeks ago. Suffice to say, nothing much has changed around there in terms of traffic, though it was nice to see the highway (I was on the NLE and SSH a lot during my trip) finally finished (it wasn't when I was there 3 years ago). Highway discipline is still a long ways to go compared to North America, but it's better, as I didn't see that many people using the shoulder as a third lane (two lane highways mostly).

Here's a Hyundai Starex; one of the most popular vans in the Philippines, and my uncle just bought one (11 passenger, I4 turbo, RWD) for 1 mil pesos (~$20k USD).

*RIP* 2004 Silver MPV LX

meep.jpg

meep.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 525 time(s)

vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: my trip to the philippines Reply with quote

Been to the country a few times but (unfortunately) based in Manila only (work). 'Tis indeed beautiful and probably will take a vacation to somewhere like Palawan.

I was primarily in Makati and Ortigas and it was interesting that there was a Maserati dealership close to where I was staying in Ortigas (iirc). Lots of FX (I think that's what they're called). I saw the first redesigned Jaguar XJ (the current aluminum body one) on the streets of Manila. MegaMall was incredible.......there's a Toyota parts store on the top floor! Superbowl (the Chinese restaurant in the ground floor of Megamall) a group of us had one of the roasted pigs and it was incredible. Food overall is incredible - balut, sisig and San Miguel Pilsen (3 for $1!).

There's a seafood restaurant at the old officer's club on Manila Bay - Fisherman's <I don't remember the full name>. You pick the live seafood and they cook it for you.

Mazda (and Ford) did pull out of the Philippines for a period but when I was there the last time there was talk of them coming back. There were a few Explorers on the street also. Glad to hear Mazda's making a comeback there.

Then: '79 Plymouth Horizon, '88 VW Fox Wagon, '92 VW Jetta GL (DW), '96 VW Golf GL (DW), '97 Jetta GLX - Green, '03 MPV ES - Blue Mica (DW); '15 Hyundai Elantra GT - Titanium Gray Metallic (DW)
Now: '18 Hyundai Tucson - Silver (DW), '10 Honda Civic Si - Polished Metal Metallic blake
ARJOSHUA
MPVClub Addict
left foot braker
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: my trip to the philippines Reply with quote

welcome back silvermpnyc Very Happy ....how's PI ? any aftermarket parts for our van?....probably next to none Very Happy ...i need a long vacation right about now ist to damn cold here Mad

whoa.... VKC! i never knew your a pilipino?

vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: my trip to the philippines Reply with quote

ARJOSHUA wrote:
whoa.... VKC! i never knew your a pilipino?
not quite. but i love the country so much that i wish i could buy a second home there.
Then: '79 Plymouth Horizon, '88 VW Fox Wagon, '92 VW Jetta GL (DW), '96 VW Golf GL (DW), '97 Jetta GLX - Green, '03 MPV ES - Blue Mica (DW); '15 Hyundai Elantra GT - Titanium Gray Metallic (DW)
Now: '18 Hyundai Tucson - Silver (DW), '10 Honda Civic Si - Polished Metal Metallic blake
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Driving Fun and Road Trips All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: