MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Passenger door lock switch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sage
Bob

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:23 am    Post subject: Passenger door lock switch Reply with quote

I have two small projects, first to add a lock/unlock switch on the passenger door and also in the back to use before closing the tailgate (just like my Ford Exploder had) and to rewire the 12Volt source on the dash so it is always “hot”. This way I can charge my cell phone when the key is removed. I will report my progress if anyone is interested. My only question is how to remove the plastic cover where the switch is located on the driver’s door. I assume that it just pops off after being lifted with a screwdriver. I am too chicken to try if someone has already done this task.
Bob from Prescott AZ
2003 Mazda MPV ES sage green "Sage" 14,500 mi
1998 Lincoln Mark VIII black "Abe" 10,700 mi
RedWingsGuy
MPVClub Addict
Ex-Hockey Taxi Driver
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Passenger door lock switch Reply with quote

Funny, seems that I like my 12v outlet turning off when I turn off the ignition. My phone beeps and reminds me to take it with me (instead of being abandoned in the car to be stolen).

Although, I think it wouldn't be bad to have a switch to allow the driver to choose which way s/he likes the 12v outlets to work.

2003 LX Coastal Blue - Rear Air - 195,000 Miles. Sold 9/27/2013.

1990 Lumina Rust Bucket - 125K miles and rusted out Scrapped 8/05

2008 Scion xB Silver - Just automatic transmission - 60K Miles goaliegirl's ride

2011 Scion xB Crimson - Automatic transmission and Alpine Audio - 25K Miles My ride

2007 Passat Wagon from the in-laws - DW's ride.

Been there, done that.
Went somewhere else, did it again.
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Passenger door lock switch Reply with quote

Wow, those sound like neat projects. Take pictures! Cool

I think LazyFox and/or a few others have diagrams for the various door panels, you should be able to get an answer this morning...

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()
Alex

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Passenger door lock switch Reply with quote

Sage wrote:
My only question is how to remove the plastic cover where the switch is located on the driver’s door.

If I remember correctly, you will need to remove the door trim panel. The door handle is attached to the trim with a set of tabs which you can undo easily from the other side. Plus the wire harness is quite short, so you can't pull it away too much. You need to disconnect the harness connector first.

You can find the door trim removal instructions with pictures here: http://www.mpvclub.com/diy.php?id=8

HTH
Todd Barney

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Passenger door lock switch Reply with quote

Please do report progress. I traded in an Exploder on my MPV, too, and I miss the locking switches on the pax door and in the rear.

I also miss Ford's much longer "lights on" timer for the interior lights. Something closer to 45 minutes, rather than the 5 or so Mazda's given us.

Todd Barney
Body of a minivan:
2003 ES, Midnight Blue, pwr doors, DVD, roof rack, BF Goodrich Traction T/As 225/55-17
Soul of a sportscar:
91 Miata, Crystal White, Konis, Hard Dog sport rollbar, FM sways, Thermal exhaust.
Girth of an elephant:
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab V-10 5-spd manual.
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Passenger door lock switch Reply with quote

I kind of recall someone reporting on making one of the outlets always hot. Was it the outlet in back, or the cigarette lighter, or both? Anyhow, there could be some info on the board about doing what you are proposing.
[b:a970de293f]Dan[/b:a970de293f]
2001 Rainforest Green LX (164,795 miles)--Minnie (The vacationator)
2006 Honda Civic EX with NAVI and 5sp MT (102,338 miles, new block at 89K) (Dan's daily driver)--Blue Car
sage
Bob

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Passenger door lock switch Reply with quote

I did not expect such quick response. Yes I will take pictures of the projects. We are leaving for San Diego for the Christmas week, so I will start when I get back.
This Club has wonderful people in it. I tell everyone about the people and then I tell them about all the information on MPV's.
THANKS!

Bob from Prescott AZ
2003 Mazda MPV ES sage green "Sage" 14,500 mi
1998 Lincoln Mark VIII black "Abe" 10,700 mi
lazyfox_
MPVClub Posting Maniac
sleepless computer addict
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Passenger door lock switch Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
I kind of recall someone reporting on making one of the outlets always hot. Was it the outlet in back, or the cigarette lighter, or both? Anyhow, there could be some info on the board about doing what you are proposing.

CEZ has the rear outlet always hot and has there even convertor to 120V with hard wiring streight from the battery. He has also few more electro goodies.

2002 Mazda MPV ES Sunlight Silver Zoom-Zoom
2009 MAZDA3 s Grand Touring 5-Door Stormy Blue Mica Zoooom-Zoooooom

[img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/cz.gif[/img:f9299cb053] [img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/usa.gif[/img:f9299cb053]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cogito Ergo Zoom
A L'il Engine that could

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: rewired dash outlet Reply with quote

In addition to the rear outlet LazyFox mentioned I also rewired the dash outlet so it is "always hot" as well. I used a 12AWG wire leading to a 20A separate fuse tied into the aux +12V post by the battery.

Hope this helps!
Morgan

1987 Buick GN (10.84 @ 126 1/4 mile, never trailered)
2006 Dodge Charger R/T with R&T Pkg, a few mods
1987 Turbo Regal Limited aka my stealth GN with-- you guessed it-- a few mods.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: