MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

loud rad fan?
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:54 pm    Post subject: loud rad fan? Reply with quote

anyone else think the radiator fan is loud? Especially when the A/C is running. Also, being in Phoenix, shouldn't the fan stay on occasionally after the engine is run hard and it's 120 degrees outside?
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: loud rad fan? Reply with quote

What year is your MPV?

The fans are supposed to turn on with the A/C. It should be sounding like (at least in my recent vehicles) a whirrrrrrrrrring noise.

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()
davey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: loud rad fan? Reply with quote

it's an 03, the a/c fan does come on. thing is, it sounds like an industrial shop fan running. the fan has never come on when the vehicle is off either
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: loud rad fan? Reply with quote

I don't think ours has come on with the vehicle off either, so that should be normal. I suppose it does have a bit of a workshop fan sound to it. As long as you don't hear plastic hitting plastic or squeaking from the fan motor bearings, it should be ok.

You could also check out another MPV and see if the fan is equal in sound.

-Brian

davey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: loud rad fan? Reply with quote

i guess it is normal, just really loud
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: loud rad fan? Reply with quote

I concur... the fan can be loud. If my van's idling in the driveway, the fan(s) kick on when it's warm and they sound very loud. It's noticable inside the cabin of the van a bit, as well. They're fairly large fans, stuffed up behind the grill.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SleepEz Guy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: loud rad fan? Reply with quote

funny u should say that... i always thought the fan was quiet. hardly hear it in the cab.. a soft "whirring" noise. then, a couple days ago, i left the van running and went into the garage to get something. the fan came on and scared the hell out of me.. i thought the van had started to rev on its own and was making its way into the garage to exact some kind of "auto-revenge". images of Christine flashing in my head. so reading that the loud fan is normal, makes my heart rest at easy.

by the way... as i went back into the van.. and the fan turned on a again... it was a soft whirring whisper Smile
sslbaron
Dad's Taxi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: loud rad fan? Reply with quote

Maybe it's because the van is so quiet, that's why it sounds so loud? I don't know
'03 LX MPV, Black Mica, Rear Air, Roof Rack, mud guards, six disc changer, XM Sat Radio.
'95 Saturn SL2, Midnight Blue, fully loaded, XM Sat Radio.

***Get the latest re-flash for the transmission. It's well worth it!*** - 20,000+ Jolt Free Miles!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
davey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: loud rad fan? Reply with quote

no, it's just a loud fan. turn your A/C on high then step outside and you'll see what I mean. Living in Phoenix it can be annoying
MPoohV

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: loud rad fan? Reply with quote

I just had this problem start -- I noticed the fan seemed to be a bit louder than ever before. It also has started continue to run after I shut off the vehicle -- it's never done that before and I've this van through eight seasons in rather hot Florida. I know it's normal for the cooling fan to continue to run after the engine is shut off to provide a better method of cooldown, but it's just never happened before so I'm wondering why it's happening now.

I also notice that the fan will kick in as soon as I start the vehicle on most days, even during the cooling morning. It doesn't do this all the time, but seems to be doing it more and more, even when I'm starting up the MPV for the first time that day, it's a rather chilling morning, and the engine temperature is cold.

Anyone else encountered anything like this? I'm worried I have a faulty thermostat on this fan.

Chris
05 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited - Blue Mirage, Taupe Leather
02 MPV ES - Silver - "MPoohV" - TRADED! Surprised
99 Toyota 4Runner Ltd - White
2003MPV-LX
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: loud rad fan? Reply with quote

for the most part, your fans will not be running while you are moving at 35-40 MPH. only at low speeds will they turn on to assist to cool the engine. if they are running at highter speeds then you have a cooling problem. 99.9 % of the time you pull into your drivway and shut off, they engine doesn't have the chance to heat up enough for the fans. i have never noticed the MPV fans running after shut off, but have gotten out of my truck very shortly after being in traffic and heard the fans running. but those are not factory fans, i removed the stock fan, cluch, and shroud and installed two 14" elect with temp probe and relay, keeps the 300HP (at the rear wheels) 350 nice and cool.

2003 MPV LX, Emerald Mica, Rear Spoiler, Auto-Exe Grill, Fog Lights, hitch, Concept DVD w/twin headrest mounted 7" monitors, K&N, visors, splash guards, LIMO tinting on all rear windows. silverstars. Mama's Zoom-Zoom
MPoohV

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: loud rad fan? Reply with quote

My temperature guage is at halfway ("normal" from day-one of owning the van) and my coolant level is inbetween high and low (also normal), so I'm guessing bad thermostat on the fan. It's also interesting that in order to get the fan to turn off after I've shut off the car, I have to turn the ignition to "on" (not start it up again) and then turn it off again. The fan then goes off.

Sort of weird.

Oh, well. It's still under warranty by a year and 12k miles, so off the dealership I go, since I don't see anything obvious that regular maintenance could resolve.

Chris
MPoohV

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: loud rad fan? Reply with quote

Just got my MPV back from the dealership -- first time I ever had to take it to them for a problem! Sort of a sad day because of that! Anyway, my radiator fan problem was resolved when they replaced the entire aux fan module. $248 later...thankfully still under warranty! I think when the warranty runs out, I'll be buying some vehicle specific diagnostic equipment and a service manual!

Now my MPV is back to running rather quietly (instead of like a propellor airplane), and the fan is behaving as it should. Incidentally, they also gave us a rental car even though they knew it would be a same-day job. What should I expect from a dealer service center that shares the same space with BMW and Audi/VW?

Chris
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: loud rad fan? Reply with quote

Glad that was resolved for you, and properly under warranty and a rental. Did they say what went wrong with it?

-Brian

MPoohV

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: loud rad fan? Reply with quote

The service manager said that there was "something wrong with the entire module". I think they just tested the wires going into and out of the module, determined it wasn't to specs, and just replaced it. I also think the fact that it was still under warranty had a lot to do with that strategy, because if it wasn't under warranty, I would've told them that I am not paying $250 to fix an auxillary fan. I could go to any auto parts store and buy an aftermarket aux. fan system that would do the same job for a fraction of that price. But since Mazda USA was "picking up the tab", I'm sure they just did things by the book rather than troubleshooting it down to a stuck relay or faulty thermostat.

The also gave the MPV the "once-over" and after 37k miles, the only thing of concern or note was the tires (which need to be replaced by my rules) and the front brakes are showing normal wear that will probably need attention at the usual 45k service mark. This is the only thing that's ever gone wrong with my MPV that required it to go in for service, so I'm very pleased with its performance so far (knock on fake wood dash).

Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: