MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

If you encounter an 'Error in posting' when you reply to a post, try keeping the Subject line of the reply under 35 characters or so.

Engine hesitation. loss of power, backfiring in 1998 MPV
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill C

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:08 am    Post subject: Engine hesitation. loss of power, backfiring in 1998 MPV Reply with quote

I own a 1998 MPV All Sport with a 6 cyl., 3.0 liter engine, AT with 4WD. Just had a major overhaul done at 70K miles. Work performed was a front end alignment, full tune-up (including all filters), front brakes, new timing belt, new water pump, new anti-freeze, new value cover gaskets and transmission fluid/filter change. The fuel injectors were inspected and were fine.

There is an in frequent hesitation after warm starts. This developed a week after the repair work was done so I believe that its a separate problem and not due to the major overhaul. This hesitation does not happen all the time. When the hesitation does occur, it feels like the engine is going to back-fire.

The only way to resolve it is to place the vehicle in neutral and wait a minute or two until the problem passes or excelerate the vehicle. Once the vehicle works through this hesitation spell it runs fine.

Had my mechanic run diagnostics on vehicle only to find that his diagnostic cartridge was bad (waiting to hear from him when he recieves new diagnostic cartridge). Had local Mazda dealership check the problem and they were useless.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Bill C.

Last edited by Bill C on Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:06 am; edited 1 time in total
rpieper
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Infrequent hesitation in 1998 MPV Reply with quote

Sounds like you got a load of fuel with too much moisture (water).
98 White ES AllSport 86K and loving it
95 White Honda Accord 168K - Son hijacked it for himself
92 Black Volvo 240 275K and died of a brain fry
Bill C

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Infrequent hesitation in 1998 MPV Reply with quote

Rpieper ... thanks for the suggestion.

I wish it was a case of bad fuel. Been down that road all ready and loaded the tank with a combination of fuel drier/cleaner twice. Used Chevon Techtron product (good stuff and recommended on another Mazda forum). It did no good, but it did no harm either.

The car is at the my mechanic right now. Will post additional information once I hear from him.

Thanks, Bill C.

Last edited by Bill C on Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Bill C

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Infrequent hesitation in 1998 MPV Reply with quote

Well ... you won't believe this ... it was the battery. My mechanic went to move the vehicle into the garage to run diagnostics on the MPV and it barely started. They pushed it into the garage, hooked up a spare battery and checked that his new scanner cartridge could talk to the vehicle's computer. It worked (the scanner cartridge that is). Replaced the OEM battery (5+ years old) with a brand new one and started to run the test. The vehicle would not fail. Idle is perfect at cold start and warm starts ... no hesitation at all.

The best my mechanic and I can figure out is that the battery has been slowly going and finally failed the other morning. All these months we figured that the computer was not getting the required voltage to work properly and causing this hesitation problem on warm starts.

As of day 3 after the battery replacement the MPV is running like the day we bought it new.

Thanks, Bill C.
rpieper
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Infrequent hesitation in 1998 MPV Reply with quote

Seems that a battery is a pretty low cost fix for your problem.

Several of the last few problems have ended up with needing new power source/storage.

Need to keep that in mind.

98 White ES AllSport 86K and loving it
95 White Honda Accord 168K - Son hijacked it for himself
92 Black Volvo 240 275K and died of a brain fry
Bill C

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Infrequent hesitation in 1998 MPV Reply with quote

Just to give you all an update ... a week to the day the battery was replaced, the hesitation, backfiring, near stalls, etc was back. Once again the MPV went back to my trusted mechanic. He was able to once again get the MPV to fail on warm start ups. Trouble codes were not plentiful in the diagnostics. Perplexed with the problem, I asked my mechanic for his "gut" diagnosis ... he believed it's to be the air flow meter.

Well at $500 for the part, I was a bit skeptical. Based on our agreement he was going to test the two parts with an ohm meter to see if they would register difference. Well they did register a different reading and the new part was installed.

So far all is working well and the vehicle is riding like new. No hesitation, backfires, near stalls, etc on warm start ups.

I'm going to give the 2 - 3 weeks before I call it a victory.

Thanks, Bill C.

Last edited by Bill C on Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Kiwimpv
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Gen1 Advocate
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Infrequent hesitation in 1998 MPV Reply with quote

Its a hard pill to swallow changing the AFM but if it is the cause and cure then good call - we try to leave that one to last...

Good luck and call back to confirm it was the fix!! Well that's two problems cured in one hit - battery and AFM (battery must have been causing other issues as well...)

goggles

Graeme + 1 + 4
93 Efini V6 162km
87 Capella/626 1.8i 176km
My Weather Site
78 20ft Trlr Camper
Bill C

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Infrequent hesitation in 1998 MPV Reply with quote

Thanks Kiwimpv for the reply.

My own personal opinion on the battery is that I think the long standing problem with the AFM component probably took a toll on it. I still think it had a couple of years left on it before it was really ready for replacement if the AFM did not start to go bad.

I'm still troubled that the Mazda dealer could not find this problem considering they should have the full complement of equipment to troubleshhot a problem. My mechanic is excellent and has good diagnostic skills in troubleshooting problems.

Back in June/July I was browsing another Mazda forum concerning this problem an it pointed to a dirty AFM component and it caused the same problems that I was experiencing. The solution was to clean the filement with an aresal brake cleaner. It never mention the possibility of a bad circuit componet within the AFM.

Like I said in my last post ... I'm going to give it a few weeks to really prove that it's repaired.

Thanks, Bill C.
Bill C

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Infrequent hesitation in 1998 MPV Reply with quote

Well ... it's the end of day 4 after the AFM was replaced and the hesitation is back again. It was not a cheap replacement for the AFM. $500 (parts and labor).

The vehicle went right back to my mechanic. As usual the vehicle was failing while under his investigation. This time he was really bugged by this problem. He called four local Mazda dealers to get their assiatance on this. One of the dealers suggested checking the fuel system.

He tested the pressure coming out of the fuel pump and then on the return. 80lbs of presure was present which he tells me is up to specification. Next he started to check the fuel pressure regulator and BINGO .... the device caused the expect failure. He then some how pinched off the line around the device and the idle returned to normal.

Now ... I trust my mechanic and yes they are human too and can make a bad diagnoses (as he did with the AFM), but have any of you folks had a fuel pressure regulator go bad. The four Mazda dealers my mechanic contacted in Connectcut said that they never had seen fuel pressure regulator fail on the 3.0L 6 cyl. engine. They don't even stock one and it would have to be ordered. My mechanic and his partner are more fully convinced that the fuel pressure regulator is the cause. Once again this is not a cheap part but my mechanic is willing to work with me on a compromise for the incorrect part replacement on the AFM.

What are your opinions???

Thanks, Bill C.

Last edited by Bill C on Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Infrequent hesitation in 1998 MPV Reply with quote

Any working part can fail, right? Isn't that some universal law? Wink'n'Grin

If you trust your mechanic, I'd side with him. Maybe you could find a used one and try it out, provided it is not failed. At least it would buy you some time to get a new one, that is if the used one is due to fail.

-Brian

Mazda MPV---MPVClub.com

2011 Ford Explorer XLT, Tuxedo Black Metallic - the "Beast"
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, Sterling Grey Metallic - the "Hyper"

2002 Mazda MPV ES - retired
Bill C

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine hesitation. loss of power, backfiring in 1998 MPV Reply with quote

Well gang we are now have completed day one after having the fuel pressure regulator replaced and all is well. I am still reserving judgement until I get by several days with this new part and no reoccurance of the problem.

Before my mechanic replaced the part he tested the MPV one more time based on the symptoms that I have been experiencing on a warm startup. The vehicled failed as expected. He replaced the fuel pressure regulator and ran the vehicle several times on warm start up with no problems. He also blew out the fuel lines just for good measure.

I will continue to post our progress on this part replacement.

Thanks, Bill C.
donlab

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine hesitation. loss of power, backfiring in 1998 MPV Reply with quote

I think this problem is related to the TSB (Technical Service Bulletin)
#00100R - rough idle or loss of power after timing belt replacement.

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/34/98344470.html

You can also find it here:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/

Don
98 MPV All Sport
81 VW Rabbit Pickup
kremhaus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine hesitation. loss of power, backfiring in 1998 MPV Reply with quote

This may be a moot point, because I am not sure if your MPV has one. Does your MPV have an EGR valve? I owned a Nissan PU, and had the exact same symptoms, and replaced every suspect part, part by part. Seems the diaphram on the EGR valve was intermittently getting stuck open, mostly after a warm engine, and caused backfiring on start up, and rough running. The mechanic could never catch it, when he ran a vacuum check. You can check if is stuck when the engine is warm by sticking your fingers under the valve body, and pushing on the diaphram plate, but be careful not to burn your fingers since it is near the manifolds.
Bill C

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine hesitation. loss of power, backfiring in 1998 MPV Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies Donlab and Kremhaus.

Since the Fuel Pressure Regulator was replaced I had one instance so far of the problem on day four since the part replacement. I called my mechanic immediately on this reoccurring event. He's stumped but neither he or I are giving up on this.

As far as an EGR valve goes, I'm not sure if the 98 MPV has one. I'll check with my mechanic on this one. This should be an easy part replacement for the DIY mechanic (me).

Yes, the timing belt was replaced. Since this problem is only occurring on a warm startup, I would think that I would have this problem at cold and warn startups if it was timing belt related. I'll run it by my mechanic and see what he thinks.

Keep the suggestions coming everyone, there has to be an answer out there.

Thanks, Bill C.

Last edited by Bill C on Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine hesitation. loss of power, backfiring in 1998 MPV Reply with quote

I had an '89 Pontiac that after several years started hesitating upon light acceleration. The mechanics said to 'exercise the throttle' a bit to clear the carbons and whatnot. (I guess they didn't know how I drove! Razz )

Anyway, after taking it in several times without being able to duplicate the problem, I was able to get it to happen just after leaving the shop. Turned out it was a shot EGR valve. The style my '89 engine had was vacuum operated and had rusted from age. Their newer ones were electronic.

So, an EGR valve would be a possibility.

-Brian

Mazda MPV---MPVClub.com

2011 Ford Explorer XLT, Tuxedo Black Metallic - the "Beast"
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, Sterling Grey Metallic - the "Hyper"

2002 Mazda MPV ES - retired
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 89-98 MPV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: