MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Sulphur Smell vs Fuel Economy
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Highway MPG vs Sulphur Smell - Which do you fall into?
25+ MPG Highway - Yes Sulphur Smell
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
25+ MPG Highway - No Sulphur Smell
31%
 31%  [ 16 ]
23 - 24 MPG Highway - Yes Suplhur Smell
11%
 11%  [ 6 ]
23 - 24 MPG Highway - No Suplhur Smell
19%
 19%  [ 10 ]
<= 22 MPG Highway - Yes Sulphur Smell
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
<= 22 MPG Highway - No Sulphur Smell
25%
 25%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 51

RedWingsGuy
MPVClub Addict
Ex-Hockey Taxi Driver
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:33 pm    Post subject: Sulphur Smell vs Fuel Economy Reply with quote

While scanning the postings on sulphur smell, I noticed that many of the victims of the dreaded sulphur smell get very good highway gas mileage while many of us who don't get very good mileage do not get the sulphur smell. Although our sample size is small, I would like to see if there is a correlation between the sulphur smell and gas mileage. Please select one of the following that describes your driving experience best whether or not you get the sulphur smell.
2003 LX Coastal Blue - Rear Air - 195,000 Miles. Sold 9/27/2013.

1990 Lumina Rust Bucket - 125K miles and rusted out Scrapped 8/05

2008 Scion xB Silver - Just automatic transmission - 60K Miles goaliegirl's ride

2011 Scion xB Crimson - Automatic transmission and Alpine Audio - 25K Miles My ride

2007 Passat Wagon from the in-laws - DW's ride.

Been there, done that.
Went somewhere else, did it again.
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Sulphur Smell vs Fuel Economy Reply with quote

I put in a vote for 23-24 highway, since our most recent trip had a 24 mpg tank @ ~70mph with the A/C and a very strong head wind. Last fall we did get a 25mpg trip highway, though there was no wind to factor in. Perhaps I should have clicked the 25+ one, but 24 would be our 'average' for the highway.

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()
TomNansMPV

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Sulphur Smell vs Fuel Economy Reply with quote

Count me in for 25+, with sulphur smell....although the smell is not overwhelming.

The DW noticed it in the garage the other evening after I came back from a short trip to the store and closed the garage door immediately after driving in.

Tom

2003 MPV ES

Sage Green, GFX W/rear spoiler, 4-Seasons, 6CD, FogLights, Rear Bumper Step Plate, Donnelly autodim/comp/temp mirror, Euro antenna, SilverStar heads/fogs, Weathertech cargo liner, Mazda bug shield, K&N air filter, Mazda front mask, ScanGauge

1993 626 DX - 171,000 miles
papabear
MPVClub Posting Maniac
born again runner
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Sulphur Smell vs Fuel Economy Reply with quote

I live where there are a lot of hills and traffic. On the occassional trip I can gain maybe a mile or two, but I'm around 22 for freeway and daily mileage is only 17-18mpg.

BTW- sulphur smell only once or twice when I used ultra cheap fuel from Costco and some no-name on a trip.

Rogelio (ro-hel'-lyo)
07 Ody EX-L w/navi&dvd
The other cars...

08 Nissan Altima Hybrid
Gebco
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Sulphur Smell vs Fuel Economy Reply with quote

I normally don't have the sulphur smell (I use Shell gas). However I do notice it when I drive, ahem, agressively, like today when we were late for our kids' dance classes. That could explain the correlation in gas mileage and sulphur smell.

BTW, one more post to 100!

15 Town and Country
08 Town and Country Limited 180 000 km - Sold
02 MPV ES Midnight Blue 125 000 km - Sold
05 Kia Amanti - aka Old Man Car 68 000 km
96 VW Jetta GL 5 Speed Dark Green 105000 km - Sold

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Bob and Doug McKenzie
osakampv

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: Sulphur Smell vs Fuel Economy Reply with quote

My wife sometimes grumbles about the sulfur smell and I’m aware of this too.
Of course, I think this subject applies to not only MPV but also even Honda and Toyota etc. more or less.

I found that the current sulfur content in the regular gasoline in Japan is about 40-50ppm and the newest gasoline reduced to about 20ppm has begun to be sold in the market.
As to the regular gasoline, reducing the sulfur content in it seems not to be so easy because the desulfurization of the regular gasoline is costly and there is fear that the value of octane may decrease at the same time if the sulfur in the gasoline decreases.
On the other hand, the sulfur is contained about 10-30ppm in the current premium (high-octane) gasoline. The latest premium gasoline whose sulfur content is not more than 10ppm seems to be sold recently to satisfy the strict future regulation. This gasoline is called the sulfur-free gasoline.

If there are some relations between the sulfur content and the value of octane and the fuel consumption, this pool may get the point of the matter.
Please feel free to correct this if I’m wrong. bye

Toshiki
'01 Mazda MPV 4WD SPORTS
'02 Mazda AZ-WAGON
oldmedic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Sulphur Smell vs Fuel Economy Reply with quote

I answered 25+ with no sulfur smell but that's not exactly true. I fall into a category that's not listed. 25+ yes, sulfur smell only for the first 300 miles or so with none since. I use Raceway or Exxon regular all the time. I can't remember what brand the dealer filled the tank with at purchase.
Located in Blue Grass state; home of beautiful horses, fast women, and bourbon whiskey

2003 Costal Blue ES
2002 Malibu LS
2005 Scion Tc
2000 Cavalier LS
JMTRANSAMSD455
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Sulphur Smell vs Fuel Economy Reply with quote

Wife's 2003 ES never suffered from sulfur smell. Use Sunoco gas on all our cars. On recent 2400 mile trip to DisneyWorld, Florida, with 5 pass, luggage in the trunk well, THULE Evolution 1800 luggage Carrier on OEM roof rack with total 100 lbs ( luggage& carrier) got 26.5 MPG going down(74-80 MPH). But steep hills in GA and NC, along with hot humid weather, traffic, reduced mileage to 24 MPG. On recent trip to VA without the THULE luggage carrier got 26.5 MPG going down also stuck in traffic and did 27.5 MPG coming back. Wife is totally happy and content with MPV's performance, smoothness, quiet engine, acceleration, handling(on curves and ramps), braking, fuel economy, comfort, ice cold A/C (Rear A/C a Godsend for those sitting in the back-me) , plenty of cupholders. MAZDA hit a home run with her. Jack. PS none of our cars have sulfur smell. I've noticed sulfur smell with other cars, GM Ford, Chrysler, Honda.
2003 ES Sunlight SilverMobil 1,K&N 102,800m Hers,2015 CX-5 Grand Tour AWD2.5 Meteor Grey Mica MOLY oil29,000m2016.5Mazda CX5 TouringAWD DeepChrystalBlue MazdaMOLY GF5 Oil 29,8005m,Son,2008 MAZDA 3S TOURING 2.3L HATCH Aurora BlueK&N Mobil1 78,800m,2015 MAZDA3HATCH 2.5GT Liquid Silver 9000mMOLYOil ,2016 Subaru Forester Limited2.5AWD Quartz Blue Pearl MolyGF5Oil5,115mHers,1974 Trans Am LS-2 Bucanneer Red113Km SOLDr
BABABOOEY

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Sulphur Smell vs Fuel Economy Reply with quote

Whay is this 25+ MPG junk? Come on people, your not getting 25 +MPG with your MPV and daily driving.
2005 LX silver
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Sulphur Smell vs Fuel Economy Reply with quote

BABABOOEY wrote:
Whay is this 25+ MPG junk? Come on people, your not getting 25 +MPG with your MPV and daily driving.

Well, the poll question did ask Highway MPG vs Sulphur Smell - Which do you fall into?, hence the answers to select from. It wasn't questioning if you were getting 25+ MPG during daily driving.

We had one 25mpg highway trip and a couple 23 and 24 mpg trips. Most of our driving is short trips, mostly city. We're only at about 25k miles on our '02 (bought in July '02).

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()
Picasso X

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Sulphur Smell vs Fuel Economy Reply with quote

You for got one. The "My gas mileage is so low that I get ticked when I read that some of you get 25-30" category. Oh yeah...no sulphur unless one of my kids is playing with matches in the back seat.
"I am always doing that which I can not doin order that I may learn how to do it." Pablo Picasso
katdb70

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Sulphur Smell vs Fuel Economy Reply with quote

I'm with you, Picasso. What's up with my 15-16 mpg? That's why we bought this thing! Our Montero Sport was getting 16 on the highway and our Chevron bill matched our car payment!

By the way, this is post #50. Smile Is it time for me to get a real life yet?

Kathy B.
Austin, TX
'04 MPV NOT Razor Blue, but Blue Mica ES
adopted 9/26/05
'67 Ford F100 Shortbed/Stepside sitting forlornly beside the MPV
himalaya

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Sulphur Smell vs Fuel Economy Reply with quote

When I purchased my new 2005 ES the sales person while showing the details of the vehicle he said that for the initial 500 miles or so we may get the Sulpher Smell and not to worry about as it goes away once the engine smoothes. May be there is a relation?
Himalaya
Proud Owner of 2005 MPV-ES White Rally !!!See it to Believe it and Drive it to Feel it!!!
tyler
Mega Party Vehicle!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Sulphur Smell vs Fuel Economy Reply with quote

I smell frebreeze... ahhhh Very Happy
>>tyler<<
1991 MPV 4wd 3.0L V6!
kremsrx7

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Sulphur Smell vs Fuel Economy Reply with quote

we get a smell, not sure wat the suphar smell is but maybe its wat we get, it smells like firecrackers after they have been let off, we thought it was just running rich, we get very crap milage round town but we live in a small city, our trips into town are around 10k's return with around 8-10 stops at intersections and we live on a hill, but on the highway we get around 300k's to 35lt (not sure on the miles to gallons conversion as im a dumbass Rolling Eyes ) we have just had the cat convertor replaved as it was the original 1 and had 248,000k's, it was so clogged up that you would have been luck to fit ya finger in it so hopefully that will help us out, but it still smell like its running rich (suphar smell??)
we have just given it a service and changed to a thinner synthetic oil, we were using 15/50, this time we put in 5/40, hopefully that will help economy also,
any other advice on better fuel economy, maybe a ecu retune if possible??
krem
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: