MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

2nd to 3rd Jolt...at 500Km!
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mfilipas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 10:48 pm    Post subject: 2nd to 3rd Jolt...at 500Km! Reply with quote

Well Yipee! I just picked up the family's new 2003 MPV last week and low and behold - we've experienced the 2nd to 3rd gear jolt others have talked about. I've read about this here tonight but there doesn't appear to be a concrete answer to this problem posted (although there has to be a correct solution). Anyone know what that is?!?!?!

Thanks (I'm immensely frustrated...500km...that's all we have on it),
mfilipas
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: 2nd to 3rd Jolt...at 500Km! Reply with quote

There is a TSB for it here.

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()
Kiwimpv
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Gen1 Advocate
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: 2nd to 3rd Jolt...at 500Km! Reply with quote

Brian, I knew it was there somewhere but the [Search] didn't allow for words split with "/" I should have looked for 2-3; I knew you or Scott would find it properly hehe! Wink

Good luck Mfilipas, I'm sure the TCM flash upgrade will fix the problem, pity they haven't checked out all new ones before sale?? :Huh?

goggles

Graeme + 1 + 4
93 Efini V6 162km
87 Capella/626 1.8i 176km
My Weather Site
78 20ft Trlr Camper
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: 2nd to 3rd Jolt...at 500Km! Reply with quote

Mazda refers to it as 'shift flare' in the TSB, that's what I searched on.

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()
Kiwimpv
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Gen1 Advocate
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: 2nd to 3rd Jolt...at 500Km! Reply with quote

I had tried "flare" on its own but no joy Huh?

thanks anyway...

Graeme + 1 + 4
93 Efini V6 162km
My Weather Site
78 20ft Trlr Camper
BigFish

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 2nd to 3rd Jolt...at 500Km! Reply with quote

Damm! Mad

This is a club I didn't want to join! I have this jolt too and that is even before it hits 500Km as well. Crying or Very sad

Did the dealer fix it for you? I only had the car for one week. weep

Could it wait till the first oil change to get it fixed?

'03 LX Sage Green w/ sport package
'02 Nissan Altima SL
DaddyinKC
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: 2nd to 3rd Jolt...at 500Km! Reply with quote

When I first read your title, I thought you had 500,000 miles on your van! Razz
BigFish

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 2nd to 3rd Jolt...at 500Km! Reply with quote

No, just a little over 500 Km now.

Made an appointment with the dealer next week to take it for a test drive. I guess this is a very common problem with the MPV. Rolling Eyes

I hope they can fix it the first time.

'02 Nissan Altima SL
BigFish

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: 2nd to 3rd Jolt...at 500Km! Reply with quote

Of course the tech couldn't duplicate the jolt from 2nd to 3rd when he was driving it. It drove well for a day and it came back. Yesterday it was constantly having the jolt everytime the transmission shift from 2nd to 3rd.

The tech actually said it is because of the design of the transmission. I told him I've never encounter a jolt in any of my auto transmissioned car from VW to my current Nissan.

I am taking it back tomorrow so he can flash the transmission ECM as per the TSB. I actually showed him the TSB I dl from MPV.com. Wink

I hope this doesn't mean anything major with the van. Other than the jolt, I really like the MPV. Razz

'02 Nissan Altima SL
Kiwimpv
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Gen1 Advocate
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 2nd to 3rd Jolt...at 500Km! Reply with quote

Good Luck Big Fish - the trannie should operate totally differently after the ECM flash as several members have replied of the problem being solved after the flash - and even new vans like yours...

goggles

Graeme + 1 + 4
93 Efini V6 162km
My Weather Site
78 20ft Trlr Camper
jim_sir

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 2nd to 3rd Jolt...at 500Km! Reply with quote

Which dealer did you take you MPV? I am also in Toronto.
My '03 MPV is ready for the 1st oil change next week.
I have not been able to consistantly get the transmission to jolt from 2 to 3 all the time, sometimes it may do it and then it is fine for a while.

'03 MPV LX
Formerly '92 MPV & '73 RX-2
BigFish

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 2nd to 3rd Jolt...at 500Km! Reply with quote

I called Mazda Canada and they told me they never "heard" of this problem. Rolling Eyes

The "service" rep actually asked me if I even test drove the car before I bought it. Of course I did! Mad A car is only the second biggest purchase that anyone would make after the house. What a moron! Evil or Very Mad

If I had experienced this jolt during the test drive, you could bet your bottom dollars that I would not even consider buying the MPV. It is just frustrating that a brand new car would do that. None of my other auto tranny cars would do that. The service manager actually said that I can't compare the MPV with other cars because it is different. Duh! I am not comparing cars, I am comparing transmission - that others would shift smoothly and not jerk from day 1.

The dealer also claimed that the TSB listed here is for US cars only - even if all MPVs are made in the same plants in Japan. Shocked

I'll see if I can duplicate the problem to the service manager tomorrow and this time, I am driving it. I guess the dealer didn't want to pay to flash the ECM if Mazda Canada is not picking up the tab. Rolling Eyes

'02 Nissan Altima SL
BigFish

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 2nd to 3rd Jolt...at 500Km! Reply with quote

Jim,

It was Markham Mazda. I will give them another chance to make it right. This jolt can not be normal and shouldn't be part of the "design" Rolling Eyes

Show me any auto manufacturer that advertise their transmission doesn't shift smoothly as their sellling point! Laughing I don't think you could find any.

I actually like the MPV - other than the transmission jolt. I still haven't receive the survey that everyone is talking about. If this is not handled to my satisfaction, the dealer is never going to get a good reponse AND any future business! Mad

'02 Nissan Altima SL
jim_sir

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 2nd to 3rd Jolt...at 500Km! Reply with quote

I got my '03 MPV w/ Sprt pkg from Markham Mazda as well.
My old '92 MPV never had a jolt it just started to slip with age.
My other car is a "03 V6 Accord and it shifts very smoothly up & down.
Please keep us all informed on what the dealer has to say.
I want to go there and tell him that I have same problem.

'03 MPV LX
Formerly '92 MPV & '73 RX-2
RedWingsGuy
MPVClub Addict
Ex-Hockey Taxi Driver
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 2nd to 3rd Jolt...at 500Km! Reply with quote

My condolences on your lack of satisfaction with Mazda Canada.

What I found amusing...
Quote:
The dealer also claimed that the TSB listed here is for US cars only - even if all MPVs are made in the same plants in Japan.

I never realized that changing the speedometer/odometer to metric could fix a tranny problem laughter .

Between that and DRL I can't think of any other significant engineering differences between the US and Canadian MPVs.

If Mazda Canada is not communicating with Mazda USA, they are in sad, sad shape. Crying or Very sad

2003 LX Coastal Blue - Rear Air - 195,000 Miles. Sold 9/27/2013.

1990 Lumina Rust Bucket - 125K miles and rusted out Scrapped 8/05

2008 Scion xB Silver - Just automatic transmission - 60K Miles goaliegirl's ride

2011 Scion xB Crimson - Automatic transmission and Alpine Audio - 25K Miles My ride

2007 Passat Wagon from the in-laws - DW's ride.

Been there, done that.
Went somewhere else, did it again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next  
Page 1 of 28

Jump to: