MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Star Wars Kid...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should he sue or embrace his 15 min. of fame.
Sue
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
Enjoy the fame
77%
 77%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 9

papabear
MPVClub Posting Maniac
born again runner
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 7:06 pm    Post subject: Star Wars Kid... Reply with quote

It was a moment of unadulterated goofiness, the kind of thing anyone might do with no one watching: A teen from Quebec videotaped himself as he pretended to wield a light saber "Star Wars" style.

But that private moment went public, very public, when classmates at his high school found the tape in a cabinet and uploaded it onto an Internet file-sharing site this past spring. MORE...

Didn't realize he took the publicity in such a negative way. I can understand, but I think he should run with it and enjoy his 15minutes. I don't laugh at him, I laugh at the funny moment his little video symbolizes. All those embarrassing moments that really happen to all of us.

Hope he's not scarred for life though. But I hope he gets an appearance in the new Star Wars flick. He deserves at least that. What do you think?

Rogelio (ro-hel'-lyo)
07 Ody EX-L w/navi&dvd
The other cars...

08 Nissan Altima Hybrid
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Star Wars Kid... Reply with quote

Originally posted the site in a thread here - it has various revisions of the 'original', some funny, some silly, some just odd. Seems a lot of people had fun with it.

I say enjoy the fame, even if it's a bit silly.

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()
daveorama
MPVClub Resident
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Star Wars Kid... Reply with quote

OK, I can remember high school and how hyper-sensitive kids are to what people think. Everyone wants to fit in and be accepted. I can imagine this geeky kid probably didn't fit it well, and after the video came out the teasing must have been non-stop.

Let's not sugar-coat it, this isn't "fame". The kid is being ridiculed in public in 50 different places and ways, and there's nothing he can do about it. His image is being stolen, altered, and broadcast against his will. I can't imagine what that feels like.

That having been said, however, I don't think that lawsuits are the answer. Sadly, I don't think there is an answer. Unless everyone wakes up and realizes they are being mean to the kid and just stops doing it. Not likely!

'02 Midnight Blue Mica MPV LX
spoiler, fogs, 4 seasons, weatherflectors, hood deflector, K&N air
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Star Wars Kid... Reply with quote

Crazy Americans... sue-happy!

Of course, there aren't videos of me goofing off... floating all over the internet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rowdy1
MPVClub Preacher
Can I get a "Zoom-Zoom"
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Star Wars Kid... Reply with quote

I don't look at this as a positive thing for this kid. Think about when you were that age. Something like this could do some damage. Yeah, I laughed at it when I first saw it, but now that this has come out, I see the kid as a "real" person. I'm sad for him.

I definitely think that we, as a country, have become too litigious. However, there are times when it is necessary. I'm not too sure how I feel about this situation, though. If it just got around to some students in the school, then that's one thing, but this thing went nationwide. It's a hard call.

rowdy1
'02 Mazda MPV ES (Silver)
*loaded w/ Rosen Clearview DVD System
'99 Chevy Tahoe LT 4WD (Burgundy)
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Star Wars Kid... Reply with quote

Yeah, after thinking about it a bit more, those points are quite valid. I guess I do feel bad for the kid.

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()
lazyfox_
MPVClub Posting Maniac
sleepless computer addict
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Star Wars Kid... Reply with quote

I selected "Enjoy the fame" as only logical solution for him. Once the stuff is out on the net, he will not be able to get rid of it. Even if it's banned by the judge, there still will be plenty of places to go for it and plenty of copies spread all over (Kazaa anybody?).

I would sue if it were commercially exploited to cash on it, as he deserves it for his performance. Wink

So he should not get stiff about it, get some counseling if he can't get over it and enjoy the fame. Making fuzz about it will only make it worse. The best thing for him would be at this point if Lucas would really give him a little bark in the movie. Wink

2002 Mazda MPV ES Sunlight Silver Zoom-Zoom
2009 MAZDA3 s Grand Touring 5-Door Stormy Blue Mica Zoooom-Zoooooom

[img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/cz.gif[/img:f9299cb053] [img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/usa.gif[/img:f9299cb053]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tyler
Mega Party Vehicle!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Star Wars Kid... Reply with quote

if he can get back at them then do it!
>>tyler<<
1991 MPV 4wd 3.0L V6!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: