MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

How much have you towed with your MPV?
Goto page Previous  1, 2  
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How much have you towed with your MPV?
1000-2000lbs (89-98 MPV)
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
2000-3000lbs (89-98 MPV)
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
3000-4000lbs (89-98 MPV)
17%
 17%  [ 3 ]
4000-5000lbs (89-98 MPV)
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Over 5000lbs (89-98 MPV)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
1000-2000lbs (2000+ MPV)
41%
 41%  [ 7 ]
2000-3000lbs (2000+ MPV)
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
3000-4000lbs (2000+ MPV)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 17

03sageLX
MPVClub Resident
My karma ate my dogma.
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: How much have you towed with your MPV? Reply with quote

-velokid: Having grown up in Chicago, I'm familiar with the driving environment. How tall is this boat ? Some of the static factors that impact sway are: frontal/side area, trailer weight, tongue weight as a ratio of trailer weight, trailer loading left/right, wheel pressure mismatches, tow vehicle weight and tow vehicle wheelbase. The dynamic variables are wind speed and direction.

Not surprisingly, the heavier the tow vehicle, the longer its wheelbase and the smaller the trailer, the more even its weight distribution left/right, and the heavier your tongue load, the smaller your risk of sway for a given wind speed and direction. It's not rocket science if you think it through.

The MKII MPV has a frontal area limit of 32 sq. ft. This is intended to limit your exposure to wind-driven sway. If you think about it, 32 sq. ft. isn't that much. Our pop-up camper comes close when folded - it's roughly 7' wide by not quite 4' high. Compared to the big camping rigs we see towed by full-size trucks, it doesn't present much profile to the wind.

If your chosen boat is relatively "low slung", then you're prolly going to be fine. If it stands up tall and wide, then maybe not.

hth,

-brianV

03 Sage Green LX
01 Subaru Forester S+ MT
Mat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: How much have you towed with your MPV? Reply with quote

velokid -

Hypothetically (of course) - what type of boat are you considering?
fishing / cruiser / runabout / PWC

also what type of engine config? (Outboard, I/O, jet)

For anyone thinking of a fiberglass boat here's one point to consider: the 'dry weight' listed on a mfgr's brochure can vary greatly from boat to boat by 50 or more lbs when boats are hand built and the fiberglass/resisn is hand applied.

Some of the newer closed mold processes (that are computer controlled) cut that variance down greatly. I think I Genmar's new VEC process was pretty good.. the got it down to +/- 5 lbs per boat (possibly less than 2 lbs) Also Baja had a new computer controlled closed mold process as well, but thier boats are typically TOO HEAVY for our MKII MPV's.

Also when calculating weights.... don't forget to add trailer weight, battery (if your boat has one weight varies from 20 - 40 lbs) , gas (at approx 6lbs a gallon), trolling motor, and gear (estimate 5 - 15 % of dry wieght).

Mat

'03 Volvo S60 AWD
'02 Mazda MPV ES
'98 Saturn SL2
velokid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: How much have you towed with your MPV? Reply with quote

Well, based on looking at the boat's specs, I don't think the MPV is the right vehcile for the task. The boat I'm looking at is a Hunter 240 water ballast sloop (http://www.huntermarine.com/models/240/index.html). I couldn't find the height when it's on the trailer, but it's 8'3" wide. I knew the dry weight was 2300 lbs, which almost certainly doesn't include the outboard 4-stroke or batteries, but I just saw they also list a trailer weight of 2830 lbs. Even though my mpv has 4 Seasons, the suspension and brakes probably could handle it. The boat would only be twice a year, probably 70-80 miles per trip.

I guess I could use this as an argument to my DW for finding a good condition MkI 4x4... Very Happy Or I can just rent a truck when I need to.
Kiwimpv
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Gen1 Advocate
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: How much have you towed with your MPV? Reply with quote

I personally think its getting too heavy for the older motor at that weight, although Javadoc would disagree based on his turf tows - but that was with a very compact frontal area - but if its only twice a year and a small distance... and its yr decision.

With our 3500lb caravan, I would have preferred a 4L motor and a longer wheelbase for towing over the hilly terrain we are going to encounter, but DW did not want a big hulking vehicle to drive and park in town, although a Range Rover would do nicely hehe! with that V8 and all the comforts and i had been looking at older 4WD's such as Landcruisers and Nissan Patrols but we still wanted forward facing seats for 6th/7th/8th seats... YKWIM...
jm2c

Cheers..

goggles

Graeme + 1 + 4
93 Efini V6 162km
87 Capella/626 1.8i 176km
My Weather Site
78 20ft Trlr Camper
03sageLX
MPVClub Resident
My karma ate my dogma.
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: How much have you towed with your MPV? Reply with quote

OK, we've performed a "towing test run" with the MPV. I'll post the towing bits here, I guess.

We just took a 4 day trip to Rocky Mountain National Park in CO while towing our '95 Coleman Rio Grande pop-up tent camper. The Rio Grande was near the top of Coleman's entry-level line in '95. Closed, it's 17' x 7' x not quite 4' high. Sleeps 5-7.

The camper weighs right at 2000# fully loaded. I estimate that we had another 700# in people and gear in the van. I used a bathroom scale to measure the tongue weight at 185# - a little light, but it didn't cause an issue. We had most of the weight in the van forward of the rear wheels.

The trailer has electric brakes operated by a standard brake controller tied to the van's brake lights. I would strongly recommend against towing a heavy trailer like ours in the mountains without trailer brakes.

To stay on the safe side regarding the tranny, we disengaged the overdrive when towing ('D' minus overdrive = 4 gears). The owner's manual is less than specific regarding overdrive and towing.

Highlights:

-MPV: '03 LX with 4 seasons, traction control, class III hitch, brake controller. Overdrive disengaged ('D' minus overdrive). 1800 miles on the odo, so still pretty 'green'. Rear tire pressure = 40 psi cold. Fronts unchanged at 35 psi. Full-size spare for the van in the camper, just in case.

-Power: More than adequate, if not plentiful. Keep in mind that we're operating between 5500' and 8500', so power is down 15-25% from spec. We could pass slow moving vehicles without major worries, even going up pretty steep grades.

-Engine temp: Never moved off the mid-line. Outside temps were in the low 80's to high 70's.

-Engine braking: Marginal, even in '3'. You will need your wheel brakes. The torque converter slip gives up a lot of engine braking. No noticeable change when the tranny attempted lock-up. Not easy to observe, it may never have locked up, I was just going by engine rpms.

-Wheel braking: Excellent, given our load. The van is willing to stop pretty hard, especially with an assist from our trailer brakes. Note that stopping distances are still longer than normal - our combined 'rig' weighs about 6500#. But our Forester (which has strong brakes, actually) struggles to stop this trailer, even with the trailer brakes, as this trailer is right at the Forester's limits. On the other hand, the Forester is a stick, and despite a disadvantage in engine displacement, its engine braking performance far exceeds the MPV, FWIW.

-Sway: None. We didn't have high winds, though, either.

-Bounce: None. Some have reported "weak rear springs". I beg to differ. There was one section of road where the road bed is breaking up, causing wave form dips (a series of dips and bumps in a row). We hit those going 40mph and never bottomed out the suspension. If you're bottoming out, check your load distribution in both the van and the trailer.

I have found that it's impossible to judge tongue weight without a scale, at least above what I can easily lift. In the van, we put our cargo organizer behind the second row, then stacked the heavier suitcases and coolers on top of it. The third row was stored flat, and covered with a light cooler, supplies, and a bike. This left us with barely a nose-up attitude - I didn't even have to re-adjust the mirrors.

-Gas mileage: 17.3 mpg. Note that nearly all of this was under actual towing conditions - we took just one trip into town without the trailer. Quite pleased with this result.

Sorry for the long post, but I thought folks would want the details.

The MPV performs as advertised as a tow vehicle. We're quite pleased with it. We're looking at longer cross-country trips for next season.

-brianV

03 Sage Green LX
01 Subaru Forester S+ MT

Last edited by 03sageLX on Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: How much have you towed with your MPV? Reply with quote

Given those conditions, it looks like the MPV did just fine. Did you air up the rear tires a bit?

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()
03sageLX
MPVClub Resident
My karma ate my dogma.
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: How much have you towed with your MPV? Reply with quote

Yes, I did, thanks for reminding me.

I ran 35 psi forward and 40 psi on the rears.

I'll add that to my original post as an edit.

-brianV

03 Sage Green LX
01 Subaru Forester S+ MT
velokid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: How much have you towed with your MPV? Reply with quote

Thanks BrianV for your write-up. I'm still not sure if the MPV is up for an even heavier load (7300 lbs GCWR). Before I know for sure I'll have to have both the trailer and tongue load weighed. Even if the MPV can't handle it, the marina can always launch/pull/store it. It certainly isn't free, but it sure beats another car payment.

What kind of hitch and brake controller did you use? And do you think surge brakes would have worked well also?
03sageLX
MPVClub Resident
My karma ate my dogma.
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: How much have you towed with your MPV? Reply with quote

-velokid: I use a Draw-Tite class III hitch, specifically designed for the MPV mark II, which comes in 2 forms, one for MPV's w/GFX, and one for those without. That said, I'd go with a Hidden Hitch if I had to do it over again - much better aesthetics for the same $.

The electronic brake controller is also from Draw-Tite, model "Activator I" - the base model, nothing fancy.

I can't really say how surge brakes would work, since I've never used them. I would want to know that the brakes on my boat trailer are specifically meant for a boat in the same weight class as the one I'm trailering, if you follow my drift. You want some sense that the hydraulics and brake drums/shoes are up to the task, that's all.

Electric trailer brakes are not going to work on a boat trailer to my knowledge. I'd go with properly dimensioned surge brakes for your application, and leave the brake controller for other towing needs. (It poured rain, I mean really poured rain hard for hours, over the weekend, and we had a very nice time, thank you. It's not for purists, maybe, but there's something to be said for a nice pop-up camper when it's cold and wet... Smile ).

hth,

-brianV

03 Sage Green LX
01 Subaru Forester S+ MT
Kiwimpv
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Gen1 Advocate
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: How much have you towed with your MPV? Reply with quote

Velokid - I know I am not driving a van and towing in your world, but surge brakes on a boat trailer would be better designed as disc brakes. If your drum brakes get wet, then they take a long time to dry out. In NZ, I don't know of any drum brakes fitted to domestic trailers or boat or camper - they are always disc brakes and they appear to be very effective and a more simple installation than a drum brake setup would be. The camper brakes held the 4000lb camper and the MPV on a very short steep slope in a yard without the use of the MPV brakes at all - just the reverse surge triggering the camper brakes. Got to be careful to disable them when backing... as I later found out when I forgot...

My2c FWIW

Cheers...

goggles

Graeme + 1 + 4
93 Efini V6 162km
87 Capella/626 1.8i 176km
My Weather Site
78 20ft Trlr Camper
03sageLX
MPVClub Resident
My karma ate my dogma.
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: How much have you towed with your MPV? Reply with quote

-kiwimpv: I may have put you onto a wild goose chase with my reference to "drums/shoes", as I don't know for certain if surge brakes are more often built that way or as disks.

My bad.

I agree with you, disks would be better. But, of course, they're better anyway, aren't they ? I mean in virtually any application.

-brianV

03 Sage Green LX
01 Subaru Forester S+ MT
TimG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: How much have you towed with your MPV? Reply with quote

I am going to install a class 3 hitch (Hidden Hitch). It looks pretty straight forward except for the wiring. Etrailer.com recommends "hard wiring" the MPV. I assume that this means splicing wires. Is there a more elegant solution?
TeamEskimo
MPVClub Preacher
Yer walkin' the plank!
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: How much have you towed with your MPV? Reply with quote

Just regular wiring, not for brakes? If so, the Mazda wiring kit is "plug and play". I highly recommend it...

Brent

2002 Sunlight Silver LX - 63,000 miles - 4 Seasons, Luxury, Security Packages, Rear Air, Cassette, Roof Rack, Step Plate and Cargo Net
'03 Dodge Neon SXT - 84,000 miles
'98 Chevy Suburban Diesel 4x4 - 158,000 miles, 6300 lbs, 23 mpg - Big rig!
tyler
Mega Party Vehicle!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: How much have you towed with your MPV? Reply with quote

I have to get a tow package for mine.

so... if anybody knows where i could find one.... Rolling Eyes

>>tyler<<
1991 MPV 4wd 3.0L V6!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: