MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Lowering your ride is not so good?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
03LX_ZoomZoom
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering your ride is not so good? Reply with quote

Yes, the fun-to-drive factor is a must to me as it is my own personal vehicle 95% of the time. My relatives comes visit us only a couple of times per years.

After lowering with Tein S-Tech, it once sat eight people including me. No problem on freeway whatsoever. They noticed right away that my van feels stiffer than their vans. I said I lowered my ride, they go "What?" My uncle likes cars too, he said that "..there are a lot of lowered vans in Asian countries." I said "I know, their rides are so tight over there with tons of much more aftermarket acessories to choose from for their vans."

Of course, one does have to be careful with hitting the front bumper bottom going in or out of a driveway. However, I really have no problem with it. And, I like the way people look at my van and go "gee... this one looks different!"

In addition, the ride quality is excellent for the money spend. I like how it reacts to especially freeway surface. For spirited driving, I beat many even smaller cars at corners and smaller cars are supposed to be more agile with their size and weight. Nope, not a chance for them. I out corner them except I once lost to a RX-8, and I deserve to lose to a RX-8 at corners (and straight line as well).

When under panic stopping, there is almost no noticeable nose-dive effect. Stopping feels way way and way more secure and lane change manuver is excellent. I can do what I used to do driving a smaller car without feeling the van may flip over. There is no such feeling after lowering.

The other benefit is that I clean the roof of the van with more ease now as it is sitting almost 2 inches lower and I am not a tall person.

Also, I don't live in snow area, so I am really fine with my van lowered as it is. I am thankful for that.

After all, lowering does take away some of the functionality of a vehicle, such as towing capacity as mentioned by someone in this thread. This is really not a good idea if towing power is important.

Well, of course, there are pros and cons to everything we do. Given my preference, I like my ride lowered especially when it comes to a taller vehicle.
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering your ride is not so good? Reply with quote

Driving a properly lowered vehicle firsthand I can say it is indeed sweet. Not cheap but sweet. Ideally I'd like to keep a car stock but focus on the suspension and brakes. pls no triple rear spoiler. dw won't let me touch the MPV tho and I don't blame her.
Then: '79 Plymouth Horizon, '88 VW Fox Wagon, '92 VW Jetta GL (DW), '96 VW Golf GL (DW), '97 Jetta GLX - Green, '03 MPV ES - Blue Mica (DW)
Now: '15 Hyundai Elantra GT - Titanium Gray Metallic (DW), '10 Honda Civic Si - Polished Metal Metallic blake
2003MPV-LX
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering your ride is not so good? Reply with quote

i just noticed this thread and wanted to add a few comments considering i drive a lowered vehicle every day. this was done with 2" drop coils and 2" drop spindles on the front and a flip kit on the rear. all shocks were replaced with Dosetch Racing drop shocks. ride is just like factory like this. i am about to redo the rear by reversing the flip kit and adding 4" drop leafs and 2" drop shackles. same drop, but will be a little stiffer in the rear which will be better for general hauling and towing. at present time, load capacity is the same as stock. with the "C" notch in the rear i still have plenty of suspension travel. most with lowered vehicles that do any towing usually add "helper" bags to the rear. you can get those for both leaf and coil springs. i am looking to already add a coil setup to the MPV with an onboard compressor. the MPV is just too soft in the rear if you need to haul/tow any decent amount of weight, which is fine for day to day, but when vacation time rolls around, she gets a little saggy in the rear with the hitch haul installed.

2003 MPV LX, Emerald Mica, Rear Spoiler, Auto-Exe Grill, Fog Lights, hitch, Concept DVD w/twin headrest mounted 7" monitors, K&N, visors, splash guards, LIMO tinting on all rear windows. silverstars. Mama's Zoom-Zoom

drop.jpg

drop.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 579 time(s)

Blueprint
MPVClub Addict
Still MPVClubbin'
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering your ride is not so good? Reply with quote

javadoc wrote:
I agree, the MPV deserves to be dropped.

Confirmed : Mazda will drop the MPV after m.y. 2006 Wink

2012 Honda Odyssey EX, Crystal Black Pearl, Truffle interior, oem acc: mudflaps, side mouldings, cargo net, cargo tray, steel wheels+tpms+LX covers for snow duty with Blizzaks WS70

2008 Nissan Sentra 2.0 S, Magnetic Grey, 6-speed stick, oem wheel locks, oem steelies for winter

Dearly departed : 2003 Odyssey EX, 2004 Mazda MPV GS+GFX, 1999 CR-V, 2001.5 Passat, 1995 Civic, 1994 Tercel, 1986 Celica, 1986 Alliance, 1982 GLC, 1978 LeSabre, 1980 Corolla SR-5.
Redline1
ZOOM ZOOMM PPPPSSHHHHHHH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering your ride is not so good? Reply with quote

ARJOSHUA wrote:
well let me put my 2 cdn cents on this topic....ok some folks like stock ride/height/looks and thats fine with me....straight out of the box the mpv is a great handling van no doubt about it...but there is still room for improvement...coming from both previous vehicles lowered i craved for that upgraded handling from the mpv..after i got tons of info from the japanese mpv sites i contacted a well known company that makes good reputable aftermarket springs built purposfuly for the mpv or any mini-vans sure do helps...the springs that i got has a higher spring rate than stock which is to soft even though mazda calls it sports?? but kudos for mazda for putting a beefier stabiliser bars front and back which helps alot in handling,,, anywho driving dynamics of the van improved, under normal braking(unnoticeable nose dive),turning and hi-way lane changing(no woobling or feeling of tipping over),body roll elimanated by at least 60%,overall the van feels secure and hunkerd down at highway speed crosswinds not an issue anymore well just a little bit Rolling Eyes

i've loaded my van w/7 adults plus luggages no bottoming out the one thing i've notice was that the van was leveled compared to when i loaded my van w/oem springs the rear end would dip while the front end would like to launch it would be ok if the 2nd gen mpv are RWD's,traction and control of the front wheels are hampered on this case

i have no issues of scraping speed bumps, ramps i still have 6-7" of ground clearance..
ride quality is on the stiff side BUT not harsh or rough that would cause any kidney rapture Laughing

wheeew....this is to long and i'm tired Very Happy

Totally agree !! Cool

Powered by KAIZEN, TEIN, EUROVISION, DAI ALLOYS, GENERAL TIRE, TECHRACING AND SIMOTA

You've JUST been LAP'D
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering your ride is not so good? Reply with quote

A little sidenote on lowering the ride that I'm curious if other folks have this problem.

We have a guy doing the painting as we remodel our bathrooms (and hopefully various projects going forward). He drives a lowered 1995 Honda Civic hatch. On our last project he came to work one day in a bad mood and we found out that he'd gotten pulled over by the cops due to the ride height. On our current project, he's driving a Chevy Astro ........ he mentioned that the cops were harrassing him constantly about the Civic's height so he gave the car up. I know cops zero in on any extra lighting that's put on the car but I've never heard being pulled over constantly for the ride height.

Then: '79 Plymouth Horizon, '88 VW Fox Wagon, '92 VW Jetta GL (DW), '96 VW Golf GL (DW), '97 Jetta GLX - Green, '03 MPV ES - Blue Mica (DW)
Now: '15 Hyundai Elantra GT - Titanium Gray Metallic (DW), '10 Honda Civic Si - Polished Metal Metallic blake
ARJOSHUA
MPVClub Addict
left foot braker
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering your ride is not so good? Reply with quote

hmmmm i never heard of such case,,,both of my previous cars are lowered a 92 civic, and 02 protege 5 and the current mpv never did a cop pull me over because my ride is low..either your buddy was just driving crazy or it just happened the cop had a bad day and just picked on your friend,,,,,, on side note vettes,ferraris,vipers and exotic cars are low compared to padestrian cars i dont see cops pulling them over beause they are low i see cops giving speeding tickets on them cars
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2179082

03' MPV ES: TEIN S-Tech, 19"x 8.5 + 45 Conceptone Visions ,Fuzions 245/35/19, H.I.D Projector retro-fit FX-R w/ clear lens mod,HKS air filter, Fujitsubo Wagolis muffler,Auto Exe grill,Mintblue rearspoiler,jdm widow visors,04' Tail lights,Gargage vary front lip, Jdm side mirror blinkers
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering your ride is not so good? Reply with quote

I think the police in the case of the gent's Civic were focusing the demographic that's going to be stereotypical of the person who might have a modified Civic. As unfair as that sounds.

I've only been hassled once, ever, with a modified car that I've owned, and that one time I was pulled over for going around a curve at 40mph in a posted 40zone, but the curve had a yellow "20" sign, and a yellow sign is a recommended sign. The judge not only threw my case out when I took it to court, I was able to witness a tongue lashing the likes of which I'd never seen, as the judge unleashed on the ticketing officer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blueprint
MPVClub Addict
Still MPVClubbin'
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering your ride is not so good? Reply with quote

Air-cooled VW mag "Hot VWs" began its life with a cover showing a Cal-Look (dropped) Beetle pulled-over, with a cop tape-measuring the distance between the ground and the headlights. Might be a State-specific thing.
2012 Honda Odyssey EX, Crystal Black Pearl, Truffle interior, oem acc: mudflaps, side mouldings, cargo net, cargo tray, steel wheels+tpms+LX covers for snow duty with Blizzaks WS70

2008 Nissan Sentra 2.0 S, Magnetic Grey, 6-speed stick, oem wheel locks, oem steelies for winter

Dearly departed : 2003 Odyssey EX, 2004 Mazda MPV GS+GFX, 1999 CR-V, 2001.5 Passat, 1995 Civic, 1994 Tercel, 1986 Celica, 1986 Alliance, 1982 GLC, 1978 LeSabre, 1980 Corolla SR-5.
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering your ride is not so good? Reply with quote

That's obsurd. Having a car lifted is, imho, much more a hazard, especially when headlights are concerned. Not to mention bumper meeting heights, where you can have a car go UNDER another one if the car's lifted, or you can have mis-matching of crumple zones.

I like having 4" of ground clearance. Wink
I also like taking freeway onramps at obscene rates of speed. blake
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blueprint
MPVClub Addict
Still MPVClubbin'
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering your ride is not so good? Reply with quote

javadoc wrote:

Ditto...after scaring the Toyota sales rep back in '03 (while test-driving an awd Sienna LE, I tried three out of four branches of a cloverleaf interchange while, er, U-turning...), DW gave the face and I answered "Well, I'm going to drive it that way, so I have to know" Wink

javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering your ride is not so good? Reply with quote

Ohhhh, the 'face!' Well, those awd Siennas don't handle too badly, for being 200" long and weighing 4300lbs.
ARJOSHUA
MPVClub Addict
left foot braker
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering your ride is not so good? Reply with quote

javadoc wrote:
Ohhhh, the 'face!' Well, those awd Siennas don't handle too badly, for being 200" long and weighing 4300lbs.

java.....you want to test drive my van Very Happy Wink

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2179082

03' MPV ES: TEIN S-Tech, 19"x 8.5 + 45 Conceptone Visions ,Fuzions 245/35/19, H.I.D Projector retro-fit FX-R w/ clear lens mod,HKS air filter, Fujitsubo Wagolis muffler,Auto Exe grill,Mintblue rearspoiler,jdm widow visors,04' Tail lights,Gargage vary front lip, Jdm side mirror blinkers
cpapashley
MPVClub Fixture
The Wonder from Downunder
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering your ride is not so good? Reply with quote

Blueprint wrote:
javadoc wrote:

Ditto...after scaring the Toyota sales rep back in '03 (while test-driving an awd Sienna LE, I tried three out of four branches of a cloverleaf interchange while, er, U-turning...), DW gave the face and I answered "Well, I'm going to drive it that way, so I have to know" Wink

Very Happy and I remember reading a comment about why would you want to mod an MPV, It is so good to have like minded revheads...................

2000 MPV Seychelles Green 279,000 km
Custom Cold Air Intake, K&N Panel Filter
Custom Equal Length Headers and Y pipe
Hi Flow CAT, 2 1/2" with straight through exhaust....ohhhh it makes you smile......
MPV Club Sticker to finish off the package
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering your ride is not so good? Reply with quote

ARJOSHUA wrote:
javadoc wrote:

java.....you want to test drive my van Very Happy Wink

Yes sure. Buy me a ticket and I'm there. Wait, does it do 100mph 1/4s? Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Safety Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: