MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Lowering your ride is not so good?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JMTRANSAMSD455
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering your ride is not so good? Reply with quote

Try to remember, If you lower your ride you will have to be carefull about bottoming out because you have no skid plate underneath the engine and tranny. Also your engine is aluminum with a cast aluminum oil pan. God forbid if you smack it on something hard, it will crack and you will have an instant oil change which can lead to a seized motor. Jack.
2003 ES Sunlight SilverMobil 1,K&N 102,800m Hers,2015 CX-5 Grand Tour AWD2.5 Meteor Grey Mica MOLY oil29,000m2016.5Mazda CX5 TouringAWD DeepChrystalBlue MazdaMOLY GF5 Oil 29,8005m,Son,2008 MAZDA 3S TOURING 2.3L HATCH Aurora BlueK&N Mobil1 78,800m,2015 MAZDA3HATCH 2.5GT Liquid Silver 9000mMOLYOil ,2016 Subaru Forester Limited2.5AWD Quartz Blue Pearl MolyGF5Oil5,115mHers,1974 Trans Am LS-2 Bucanneer Red113Km SOLDr
ILLuSioNz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering your ride is not so good? Reply with quote

my boii had a slammed accord on airbags, one day he hit a pothole, and the airbags deployed; btw the mpv should be dropped
does having an signature make me a better person?

ILLUSIONZX
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering your ride is not so good? Reply with quote

ILLuSioNz, like your (non)sig-line. And no, it doesn't. Wink

I agree, the MPV deserves to be dropped.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TomNansMPV

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering your ride is not so good? Reply with quote

Check out MPVclub member ARJOSHUA's post in the Aftermarket section called "My TEIN Suspension Installation"

http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=6869

Tom

2003 MPV ES

Sage Green, GFX W/rear spoiler, 4-Seasons, 6CD, FogLights, Rear Bumper Step Plate, Donnelly autodim/comp/temp mirror, Euro antenna, SilverStar heads/fogs, Weathertech cargo liner, Mazda bug shield, K&N air filter, Mazda front mask, ScanGauge

1993 626 DX - 171,000 miles
4X4AllSport
89-98 MPV Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering your ride is not so good? Reply with quote

JMTRANSAMSD455 wrote:
Try to remember, If you lower your ride you will have to be carefull about bottoming out because you have no skid plate underneath the engine and tranny.
goggles It's a good thing that 4X4 MP's have skid plates to protect underbody components. Arrow But, I what I can't fully grasp is why people lower or want to lower 4WD's. To Me, it defeats the purpose. I don't know
97 Efini MPV ES 4WD All-Sport M Edition
Indigo Blue/Silent Silver,77k mi
InDash TouchScreen DVD/CD/TV,ClassIII HiddenHitch,HitchStep,JDM Spoiler,Cone Filter,PIAA Spark 4900K

01 Millenia S,58k mi
04 Lexus GX470,35k mi
93 Honda Civic DX,88k mi
Had a 90 MP 2WD,224k mi

judge Mazda's MPV is M.V.P. clever
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ILLuSioNz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering your ride is not so good? Reply with quote

four by four all sport, i have yet to see one good looking 4x4 mpv, who would bother

ILLUSIONZX
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering your ride is not so good? Reply with quote

Easy illusionz, there are many 4x4 Gen1-ers here. Besides, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()
ILLuSioNz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering your ride is not so good? Reply with quote

no, whoa dont take my words the wrong way, i was just wondering if somebody could show me some good 4x4's

ILLUSIONZX
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering your ride is not so good? Reply with quote

my apologies, carry on with the discussion

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()
Charlie's Dad
2 - Carseat Family

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering your ride is not so good? Reply with quote

I for one appreciate the high clearance of the MPV. It is higher than Ody or Sienna and that make is easier to negotiate steep drives....I think the next MPV should return to the 4X4 roots of past models...Now would be a good time to do so and build an ACURA MDX / Pilot competitor.

BTY...The English text at the bottom of that A-Spec Advert...Damn!

'03 Silver LX - new
Roof Rack
Pwr Doors
Rear air
Step Plate
Aftermkts:
leather wheel
Mud guards
Ichibahn Dead Pedal (carbon fiber)
SilverMPnyc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering your ride is not so good? Reply with quote

Ditto here, my main reason for not lowering the MPV is because I've already scraped the front bumper on some of the driveways here in NYC.

And suspension travel is a good thing when you have potholes that can swallow a toddler. Twisted Evil

2005 Subaru Outbact XT 6spd.

*RIP* 2004 Silver MPV LX
*RIP* 2003 Subaru Legacy L "Special Edition" -6 Spd. & ej205 swap vf23, 1993 Ford Taurus LX
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering your ride is not so good? Reply with quote

A lowered MPV that is done properly with the right rims is sweet both looks and performance.

But I do appreciate the stock clearance on the OEM 17" rims and the look with the HydroEdges. Currently I have 16in black steel rims with 65 profile X-Ice mounted and the look is very different. Clearance is appreciated in the snow that we get.

If the lowering is done properly with the right springs, struts, shocks, bushings, and you're in the right climate, you should be really good.

SilverMPnyc, that clearance is needed just to navigate the Belt Parkway.... Laughing

btw, has anyone parked their MPV next to a Grand Cherokee? Do you realize we're the same height? (MPV is lower)

Then: '79 Plymouth Horizon, '88 VW Fox Wagon, '92 VW Jetta GL (DW), '96 VW Golf GL (DW), '97 Jetta GLX - Green, '03 MPV ES - Blue Mica (DW)
Now: '15 Hyundai Elantra GT - Titanium Gray Metallic (DW), '10 Honda Civic Si - Polished Metal Metallic blake
metalfab
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:18 am    Post subject: Lower a car, not a van or truck... Reply with quote

Lowering looks good, as long as its not to aggresive. That being said, why lower an MPV? Limits your load capability, say goodbye to towing and some speed bumps Wink. The option is up to you after all it is your vehical. Smile Personally I like the stock functionality and look, apart from the skinny little 205s that came with it Shocked
2015 Mazda 5 GS w/CP
Mazda OEM rack w/Thule Atlantis 1600
Mazda 1.25" Hitch w/ Thule Helium Aero

Past: 2014.5 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2012 Mazda 5 GS, 2003 Mazda MPV DX
ARJOSHUA
MPVClub Addict
left foot braker
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering your ride is not so good? Reply with quote

well let me put my 2 cdn cents on this topic....ok some folks like stock ride/height/looks and thats fine with me....straight out of the box the mpv is a great handling van no doubt about it...but there is still room for improvement...coming from both previous vehicles lowered i craved for that upgraded handling from the mpv..after i got tons of info from the japanese mpv sites i contacted a well known company that makes good reputable aftermarket springs built purposfuly for the mpv or any mini-vans sure do helps...the springs that i got has a higher spring rate than stock which is to soft even though mazda calls it sports?? but kudos for mazda for putting a beefier stabiliser bars front and back which helps alot in handling,,, anywho driving dynamics of the van improved, under normal braking(unnoticeable nose dive),turning and hi-way lane changing(no woobling or feeling of tipping over),body roll elimanated by at least 60%,overall the van feels secure and hunkerd down at highway speed crosswinds not an issue anymore well just a little bit Rolling Eyes

i've loaded my van w/7 adults plus luggages no bottoming out the one thing i've notice was that the van was leveled compared to when i loaded my van w/oem springs the rear end would dip while the front end would like to launch it would be ok if the 2nd gen mpv are RWD's,traction and control of the front wheels are hampered on this case

i have no issues of scraping speed bumps, ramps i still have 6-7" of ground clearance..
ride quality is on the stiff side BUT not harsh or rough that would cause any kidney rapture Laughing

wheeew....this is to long and i'm tired Very Happy

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2179082

03' MPV ES: TEIN S-Tech, 19"x 8.5 + 45 Conceptone Visions ,Fuzions 245/35/19, H.I.D Projector retro-fit FX-R w/ clear lens mod,HKS air filter, Fujitsubo Wagolis muffler,Auto Exe grill,Mintblue rearspoiler,jdm widow visors,04' Tail lights,Gargage vary front lip, Jdm side mirror blinkers

Last edited by ARJOSHUA on Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:45 am; edited 2 times in total
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering your ride is not so good? Reply with quote

cutting your springs for lowering will decrease your payload and cause all sorts of problems long term. installing a proper set with the right spring rate coupled with the right struts/shocks should not affect payload capacity. the only downside to lowering in this case is the reduced clearance .... if you're ok with this then the improved performance should more than offset this situation.
Then: '79 Plymouth Horizon, '88 VW Fox Wagon, '92 VW Jetta GL (DW), '96 VW Golf GL (DW), '97 Jetta GLX - Green, '03 MPV ES - Blue Mica (DW)
Now: '15 Hyundai Elantra GT - Titanium Gray Metallic (DW), '10 Honda Civic Si - Polished Metal Metallic blake
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Safety Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: