MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Lowering your ride is not so good?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lazyfox_
MPVClub Posting Maniac
sleepless computer addict
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:42 am    Post subject: Lowering your ride is not so good? Reply with quote

Interesting, just found this in the owners manual.

Suspension Adjustment:
Adjusting the vehicle suspension is dangerous. If the vehicle's height or the
suspension is changed, the vehicle will be unable to accurately detect a collision resulting in incorrect or unexpected air bag deployment and the possibility of serious injuries.

2002 Mazda MPV ES Sunlight Silver Zoom-Zoom
2009 MAZDA3 s Grand Touring 5-Door Stormy Blue Mica Zoooom-Zoooooom

[img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/cz.gif[/img:f9299cb053] [img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/usa.gif[/img:f9299cb053]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering your ride is not so good? Reply with quote

That's funny. Mazda has an MPV package called the 'Aeroremix', of which I really like some of their goodies (HIDs, lowered...).

I can understand why it's in the owner's manual, from a risk prevention standpoint. This way, you can't sue Mazda if you go and cut the springs. It's right there, and they tell you to RTFM before you operate the vehicle anyway. Wink

FWIW, the airbag triggers are on the framerails and I can't see how lowering the ride height would set those off. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
swiftturtle
MPVClub Resident
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering your ride is not so good? Reply with quote

I wonder if it would be possibe to get the HIDs from the Aeroremix? Cool
2003 ES Coastal Blue Metallic
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering your ride is not so good? Reply with quote

javadoc wrote:

FWIW, the airbag triggers are on the framerails and I can't see how lowering the ride height would set those off. Confused

Just taking a guess here, Java, but are they thinking that changing the height might put the sensors/triggers at a non-optimum position such that they would be less likely to detect an accident, and not activate when they are supposed to?

Of course, I'm sure the legal beagles would have liked to add 1000 pages of warnings and cautions to the manual. WARNING!! Starting the engine might lead to driving the vehicle, which could lead to an accident, which could cause personal injury or even death. To prevent this we strongly recommend you park the car in your garage and just leave it there forever.

Rolling Eyes

Dan
2001 Rainforest Green LX (164,795 miles)--Minnie (The vacationator)
2006 Honda Civic EX with NAVI and 5sp MT (102,338 miles, new block at 89K) (Dan's daily driver)--Blue Car
Sold (scrapped) on 10/30/04 at 165,599.4 miles....1987 Honda Accord DX (165K miles)--Tan Car
Sold (scrapped) on 9/26/09 at 148406.4 miles and 24 years old....1985 Toyota Camry LE --Brown Car (Dan's former daily driver)
And more human powered bikes than I can count.....

Last edited by Dan on Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering your ride is not so good? Reply with quote

Well, you really wouldn't want them, if they come as an assembly w/lenses. The JDM cars are RHD, which means that the lenses and reflectors are cut to make the light pattern work for driving on the left-hand side of the road.

I just got a flyer from HIDs-4-Less about a sale they're having, if you're interested in a HID conversion. It's not difficult to do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RedWingsGuy
MPVClub Addict
Ex-Hockey Taxi Driver
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering your ride is not so good? Reply with quote

A potential reason why they don't want you to lower your MPV...

Aren't all of the sensors for the airbags accelerometers now (as opposed to the early airbag sensors which were contacts that easily broke when a certain part deformed to a certain degree)?

If you were to make your MPV into a low-rider (complete with the bouncing hydraulics - help me, I don't remember what they call them these days) you could increase the likelyhood of bottoming out severely. This could impart just enough change in momentum to surpass the threshold of the accelerometers for the airbags.

See the fuzzy dice fly when those airbags go off laughter

Now, who would want to lower an MPV? Some moron stupid with nothing better to do I guess, but you gots to warn all the idiots out there.

This remind me of the '87 Taurus wagon the DW had early in our marraige. If you slammed on the brakes hard enough, the fuel pump would automatically turn off (and the car would stall) because they used a primitive accelerometer to turn off the fuel pump in the event of a crash. You had to open the service panel in the back end of the car and flip a switch to reset the fuel pump.

2003 LX Coastal Blue - Rear Air - 195,000 Miles. Sold 9/27/2013.

1990 Lumina Rust Bucket - 125K miles and rusted out Scrapped 8/05

2008 Scion xB Silver - Just automatic transmission - 60K Miles goaliegirl's ride

2011 Scion xB Crimson - Automatic transmission and Alpine Audio - 25K Miles My ride

2007 Passat Wagon from the in-laws - DW's ride.

Been there, done that.
Went somewhere else, did it again.
Beachnut
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering your ride is not so good? Reply with quote

I like the lowered look myself. The MPV has too much wheel to fender gap even with the 17" wheels. From a performance standpoint, a good set of progressive rate springs would lower the center of gravity and help control body roll. Vehicle stabilty would be increased and so would cornering/handling ability. I'm sure that slamming the MPV would not be a wise choice from a safety standpoint, and I agree, who would want to do that other than a kid maybe? I'm not advocating spring cutting, spring heating, tire tucking, or riding on the bumpstops type lowering, just a nice 2" drop. Of course lowering is hard on most oem struts, so a tuned strut with shorter shafts to match the springs would be ideal.

In the long run however, the question about setting off airbags would still need to be answered satisfactorily.

Scott
'03 MPV LX/GFX Midnight Blue
'98 Volvo V70 T5
lazyfox_
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering your ride is not so good? Reply with quote

Obviously you haven been to some of the Japanese MPV sites, it looks like every second MPV there is lowered. Laughing On other hand, some of the auto translations seems to mention problem with the clearance and perhaps stiffines too (hard to tell, the auto translator produces funny things sometimes) than.

[img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/cz.gif[/img:f9299cb053] [img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/usa.gif[/img:f9299cb053]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Beachnut
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering your ride is not so good? Reply with quote

Well, there's a difference between "slammed" and lowered. Most of those pics I've seen are either slammed, or the body kit is too aggressive and the tires are tucked. Then they try to fit wheels on the MPV with incorrect offset too. The one that's shown in Java's link looks good IMO.
Scott
'03 MPV LX/GFX Midnight Blue
'98 Volvo V70 T5
velokid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering your ride is not so good? Reply with quote

Here are some aftermarket MazdaSpeed goodies, including progressive rate springs and shocks: http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/urltrurl?url=http://www.poweraxel.com/mazdaspeed/catalogue/mpv/index.html&lp=ja_en&tt=url. This GFX kit looks a little different from the Aeroremix version. Remember, while Mazda warns you against lowering your ride, "we would like you to run with the highway and the winding load refreshingly." (sorry, couldn't resist!)

Of course, a US version of this site would contain the disclaimer "FOR OFF-ROAD USE ONLY"
RedWingsGuy
MPVClub Addict
Ex-Hockey Taxi Driver
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering your ride is not so good? Reply with quote

No LF, I guess I haven't been to the Japanese sites. Could you share a few pics. I need a good laugh Laughing .

I am not against lower your ride. In fact I think the automakers miss a relatively inexpensive method for improving gas mileage.

I know you can get the self-adjusting load-leveling air suspension in the GM Minivans. They work by using a small electric air compressor filling a bladder supporting the springs. When you trailer or have a load in the back end of the vehicle the system automatically adds air to level the ride. You also get a nozzle and hose that you can use to fill bike or auto tires. Strange thing though, my '98 Montana had self-sealing tires.

If you applied such a leveling system to all 4 wheels and tuned it to lower the vehicle about 1 or 2 inches at highway speeds (above 50 mph where you typically don't run into significant bumps) you could significantly improve aerodynamics and cut fuel consumption.

IICR, the self leveling suspension came as part of a package that cost less than $1000 dollars that included the towing package stuff.

2008 Scion xB Silver - Just automatic transmission - 60K Miles goaliegirl's ride

2011 Scion xB Crimson - Automatic transmission and Alpine Audio - 25K Miles My ride

Been there, done that.
Kiwimpv
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Gen1 Advocate
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering your ride is not so good? Reply with quote

You're right there RedWing - at least it did with the Gen1's from 89 to 98 with the Towing package, there was an aircompressor with a drive belt like the A/C compressor, that did that by using adjustable air shocks at the rear.

But so did the Citroen's of the 60's? hehe! But wasn't their's an hydraulic circuit?

goggles

Graeme + 1 + 4
93 Efini V6 162km
87 Capella/626 1.8i 176km
My Weather Site
78 20ft Trlr Camper
lazyfox_
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering your ride is not so good? Reply with quote

RedWingsGuy wrote:
No LF, I guess I haven't been to the Japanese sites. Could you share a few pics. I need a good laugh Laughing .

http://www5.plala.or.jp/MPVGALLERY/gallery03.htm

RedWingsGuy
MPVClub Addict
Ex-Hockey Taxi Driver
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering your ride is not so good? Reply with quote

Most of these are just skirts but...

Laughing #1303 is a classic low-rider where the wheel barely fits in the wheelwell. Reminds me of where I grew up in LA. I'd never thought to do this to an MPV.

Thanks LF super

Been there, done that.
gizmo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering your ride is not so good? Reply with quote

Beachnut wrote:The MPV has too much wheel to fender gap even with the 17" wheels
Actually, the 17 in. wheel rises the van by half an inch, simply because it uses the same tire dimension as the 16 in. wheel (215X60). Too bad that Mazda in North America neglected to adjust the suspension accordingly to a true Sport Option as proposed in Europe where the GFX comes with polished wheels AND LOWERED SPRINGS.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Safety Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: