MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

03 MPV LX Pre-wired for subwoofer?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Audio, Video, Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
papabear
MPVClub Posting Maniac
born again runner
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 03 MPV LX Pre-wired for subwoofer? Reply with quote

Or they changed it for '03 and didn't change it in the service manual (Highly unlikely).

Wonder if there might be an included wiring harness when you buy the sub or at least a separate part number for a wiring harness that might connect to the rear speaker and allow a connection to an OEM sub (just thinking online here).

Rogelio (ro-hel'-lyo)
07 Ody EX-L w/navi&dvd
The other cars...

08 Nissan Altima Hybrid
papabear
MPVClub Posting Maniac
born again runner
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 03 MPV LX Pre-wired for subwoofer? Reply with quote

swiftturtle wrote:
papabear wrote:
This looks like the plug I pictured earlier but it doesn't look like it would fit the plug Fox has pictured from the disconnected sub. That's very curious...Having the powersliding doors would make you think this plug would be used already, but since Olyts doesn't have the sub, you have to assume it should be the sub plug.

I wonder if Blaine's plug looks the same. Also, when 03sage finally gets the sub or Beach for that matter, if they can check out what's what. I'd be happy to test that plug, maybe when Fox and I have our mini-meet we can swap his sub out and try it my van...

Umm I think thats my disconnected plug you are referring to. Cool I think your right, I highly doubt the orange plug would fit into my sub (2003). I suppose the question is did Mazda change the connectors from the 2002 to the 2003 subs.

Actually, I did mean Olyts whose pic is just above yours with the orange plug that has an extension to another plug that is plugged into his PSD. He doesn't have a sub but does have the PSD. Wink

Rogelio (ro-hel'-lyo)
07 Ody EX-L w/navi&dvd
The other cars...

08 Nissan Altima Hybrid
Olyts
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 03 MPV LX Pre-wired for subwoofer? Reply with quote

papabear wrote:
Having the powersliding doors would make you think this plug would be used already, but since Olyts doesn't have the sub, you have to assume it should be the sub plug.

That's why I posted the pic. But apparently it wont work on a 2003!

2010 Toyota RAV4
papabear
MPVClub Posting Maniac
born again runner
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 03 MPV LX Pre-wired for subwoofer? Reply with quote

But will it work with our 2002's? I'm starting to think Fox is right and that for somer reason Mazda put an extension on the PSD plug in your vehicle and maybe others with PSD and no sub will have the same set-up.

But as you said it might be a change in the '03 MPV's.

Rogelio (ro-hel'-lyo)
07 Ody EX-L w/navi&dvd
The other cars...

08 Nissan Altima Hybrid
03sageLX
MPVClub Resident
My karma ate my dogma.
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 03 MPV LX Pre-wired for subwoofer? Reply with quote

Any chance this mystery plug might be for diagnostics? Emergency power to the door motor? Future power rear windows? (Oh man, say it's so!)

It's clear that it's neither for the door, nor for the subwoofer, it seems.

-brianV

03 Sage Green LX
01 Subaru Forester S+ MT
lazyfox_
MPVClub Posting Maniac
sleepless computer addict
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 03 MPV LX Pre-wired for subwoofer? Reply with quote

03sageLX wrote:
Any chance this mystery plug might be for diagnostics? Emergency power to the door motor? Future power rear windows? (Oh man, say it's so!)

It's clear that it's neither for the door, nor for the subwoofer, it seems.

-brianV

Exactly what I was thinking, they interupted wires with a connector/splitter so they can isolate problems when performing diagnostic. One of the wires in there is the G/Y shows as part of the connection of the tail lights.

I thought the orange one to be the one under the X-29, but it could easy be the Joint Connector X-29.

2002 Mazda MPV ES Sunlight Silver Zoom-Zoom
2009 MAZDA3 s Grand Touring 5-Door Stormy Blue Mica Zoooom-Zoooooom

[img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/cz.gif[/img:f9299cb053] [img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/usa.gif[/img:f9299cb053]

Last edited by lazyfox_ on Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
papabear
MPVClub Posting Maniac
born again runner
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 03 MPV LX Pre-wired for subwoofer? Reply with quote

I wouldn't write-off the PSD. It could be a diagnostic (doubt it though). It actually may be the sub connection for the '02 MPV. Really can't say with any authority right now.

Good luck on the sub install though...

Rogelio (ro-hel'-lyo)
07 Ody EX-L w/navi&dvd
The other cars...

08 Nissan Altima Hybrid
lazyfox_
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 03 MPV LX Pre-wired for subwoofer? Reply with quote

papabear wrote:
I wouldn't write-off the PSD. It could be a diagnostic (doubt it though). It actually may be the sub connection for the '02 MPV. Really can't say with any authority right now.

Good luck on the sub install though...

The 02 sub is connected from the top, I couldn't get as good of a shot, but I could feel it by hand. See tha cable next to the orange arow?

It is the same as swiftturtle's picture.

[img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/cz.gif[/img:f9299cb053] [img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/usa.gif[/img:f9299cb053]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
papabear
MPVClub Posting Maniac
born again runner
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 03 MPV LX Pre-wired for subwoofer? Reply with quote

Looking at that diagram again, I think Fox is right. That has to do with the PSD since the sub connector still looks like it drops down from the speaker connector. I think that diagram is still in the '03 manual as well.

It's weird if the sub is not prewired. Since the front tweeters are and the PSD is also in the '02. It still might be a wire taped next to the rear speaker connector. I haven't taken the plate off, and when taking a pic, I didn't see any extraneous connections behind the mounting plate for the sub though.

Rogelio (ro-hel'-lyo)
07 Ody EX-L w/navi&dvd
The other cars...

08 Nissan Altima Hybrid
03sageLX
MPVClub Resident
My karma ate my dogma.
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: 03 MPV LX Pre-wired for subwoofer? Reply with quote

-papabear, lazyfox: I did take the plate off, at least far enough to get my hands in there, and there are no wires back there that I could feel. Just the cable for the gas cap door and a vent line from the gas filler to the carbon canister (I presume, it's a rubber hose, not a wire.) The diagram indicates that the missing connector drops down from the wiring harness which is in full view above the speaker. There is no separate harness running behind the plate.

I'm convinced that the connector we all share is the X-29. Who knows, it might be used for some feature on a foreign version of the MPV. We already know that they have at least 2 rear floor pans. Anyway you cut it, the woofer wants a plug with 8 pins, and the plug we're looking at has just 3 (I pulled the cover off to look at it).

On a different note, I installed the OEM front tweeters tonight. WOW, WHAT A DIFFERENCE ! The sound stage in the front row is level with the dash, and the dynamic range about doubled. I can't believe it. It's the best $160 I've ever spent on a radio.

The fascinating thing is how well the front row is acoustically separated from the back rows. You can literally sit in the middle row and move your head from one sound stage to the next by leaning forward and back again. It's amazing! Really brings out the difference with the tweeters and without.

I'm going to order the rear tweeters tomorrow, and put them on my to do list when I do the sub. What the heck, I'm in there anyway, might as well.

The front OEM tweeters are literally a 5 minute job. Pop the covers, remove the wires from the covers, plug 'em in and pop them into the dash. Couldn't be easier.

Just for fun, I compared a favorite Dire Straits CD with the new speakers in the MPV with the factory premium sound system in my Forester (7 speakers with sub, 160 watts). The Forester's system at this point is still the hands down winner, with a richer, fuller sound that's nicely balanced without booming, but the MPV system has clearly shown its potential once we replace the missing components. I'm really excited about this.

I strongly recommend the OEM front tweeters to any LX owner with the harness pre-installed (which sounds like most of us) who doesn't want to fuss with replacing the whole system with aftermarket components. It makes a huge difference for a fraction of the cost of a complete redo, and it's a no-brainer to do it yourself. Another option is aftermarket tweeters of course, but you might find that they're not as well matched to the stock door speakers.

Rock on !

-brianV

03 Sage Green LX
01 Subaru Forester S+ MT
lazyfox_
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: 03 MPV LX Pre-wired for subwoofer? Reply with quote

Well I think it is not perhaps prewired than. The look of the plug for the woofer would support this as it is just hanging on bunch of separated wires without bonding.

papabear
MPVClub Posting Maniac
born again runner
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 03 MPV LX Pre-wired for subwoofer? Reply with quote

Yeah, it seems that way Fox. 03Sage, glad your tweeter install went well. I just sent my pioneer door speakers to a fellow member and reinstalled the OEM doors. As I had suspected, the high end was overly bright in my system because I had aftermarket 3way door speakers and aftermarket dash mounted tweeters. Now the treble is more liveable and I'm just lacking in the midbass coming from the doors (the OEM is just not up to the job of making clear midbass). You're right about the sound space in the van. You can't really hear the rear unless you're in the rear and from the rear you can't hear the front. It actually bodes well for those wanting a rear entertainment system without headphones. I found a couple of higher end head units that have dual zones so that the rear speakers can be playing one source and the front speakers another, but allocating the signal for the bass will probably be more difficult with two zones.

My current plan, to keep my tweeters and eventually replace the doors with a more laid back two-way coaxial (so as not to need to replace the wiring). If you go to a component set of speakers and keep the OEM head unit, you'd have to replace the wiring going to the speakers or splice even more into the harnesses.

One thing I found when I was replacing the OEM back into the van. I tried to see if the tweeters would work without any door speakers. They did, so that tells me they aren't really wired in parallel to the doors.

I've been floating the idea of just redoing everything. Get a new head unit with MP3 capability and thumb remote to replace the steering wheel controls. And then keeping my amp and sub and goint to component to the front and buying some aftermarket 6X9's for the rears. I'm just not sure I want to rewire everything (and I'd have to to make sure it was done right). Also, the budget just can't support a project like that!

Anyway, glad the install is going well. Let us know how you tackle the rear tweeter install since you'll probably have to splice and dice some to make it work...

Rogelio (ro-hel'-lyo)
07 Ody EX-L w/navi&dvd
The other cars...

08 Nissan Altima Hybrid
03sageLX
MPVClub Resident
My karma ate my dogma.
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 03 MPV LX Pre-wired for subwoofer? Reply with quote

-papabear: Um, if I'm following you on reinstalling your OEM door speakers, I think you meant to say that the OEM tweeters are wired in parallel to the doors. If they didn't work without the door speakers, they'd be in serial connection with the doors (an open at the doors would open the entire circuit.) That would be a darn peculiar method for wiring speakers, IMHO.

blaine was telling me that the rear tweeters in his vehicle were pre-wired as well as the front tweeters, if I understood him correctly. He said that he found harnesses for the rear tweeters when he removed the rear panel cover to check for the sub connection.

Failing that (i.e. if mine's different or I misunderstood him somehow), I'm planning on simply wiring them in parallel with the rears per the wiring diagram we have. So I'll have the rear tweeters, rear panel and the subwoofer inputs all in parallel on the same circuit from the head unit, and will rely on the built in cross-overs on the tweeters and sub to restrict the frequency range appropriately for each respective speaker type. One reason I'm willing to take this on is that the risk to the head unit is minimal - I don't have to worry too much about messing up the ohm load on the head unit given that the door speakers and head units are identical in both systems (LX and ES).

I will have to cut mounting holes in the rear panels to fit the rear tweeters, but I'm hoping to find a molding mark on the back of the panel for locating them. (My family has been in plastics for 50 some years, so I have a sense of how this stuff gets done.) My Dremel should handle that part nicely...

Sounds like what you have in mind is way more ambitious than my retake on the factory upgrade system... I'll keep you guys posted. Don't expect any more "toys" for another week or so.

-brianV

03 Sage Green LX
01 Subaru Forester S+ MT
papabear
MPVClub Posting Maniac
born again runner
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 03 MPV LX Pre-wired for subwoofer? Reply with quote

My bad... are parallel. Right...

Let us know how it turns out and we want pics of you fancy Dremel work as well!

I've always wanted a kick*$$ system in a car and the MPV is great vehicle to learn and experiment because you get so much room to work with. Maybe not soon, but eventually...

Rogelio (ro-hel'-lyo)
07 Ody EX-L w/navi&dvd
The other cars...

08 Nissan Altima Hybrid
03sageLX
MPVClub Resident
My karma ate my dogma.
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 03 MPV LX Pre-wired for subwoofer? Reply with quote

This just got a bit harder. It turns out that the rear tweeter covers are part of the trim panels - which are $200+ a pop. Looks like they're not sold separately.

So maybe I'll go aftermarket on the rear tweets afterall. I'm going to need some aftermarket covers, THAT'S for sure.

Ah well, promises, promises...

-brianV

03 Sage Green LX
01 Subaru Forester S+ MT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Audio, Video, Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: