MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

03 MPV LX Pre-wired for subwoofer?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Audio, Video, Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
03sageLX
MPVClub Resident
My karma ate my dogma.
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 03 MPV LX Pre-wired for subwoofer? Reply with quote

After pricing subwoofers/amps with boxes, and given that I'm unwilling to give up any space and/or mount amps to the floor and rewire everything, this really isn't a bad deal. We bought this vehicle for the interior versatility - I'm not giving that up in the name of better sound.

Splicing-in shouldn't be that hard, since I don't have to go into the dash, and from the looks of the subwoofer, patching around the stock connector shouldn't be that bad either - it's held together with screws. I don't know if it's also glued, (couldn't tell on the ES I looked at last night, but either way, it shouldn't be that bad. I have a Dremel with all manner of attachments for this kind of work - miniature saws, router bits, you name it. Very handy little piece of work... prolly my most versatile tool.

I wonder if there's an electronics supply store that sells the male end of that plug? I could make my own harness then, without disassembling the subwoofer... hmmmm.

Back in Chicago, I knew just the place. I'll have to poke around the yellow pages a bit here in Denver.

If I find a match, I'll be sure to post it.

It's a shame that Mazda won't sell the upgrade for a reasonable number as a stand-alone. I can't imagine that I'm the only guy with my peculiar priorities... When we upgraded the Subie's system, it was $300 for upgraded speakers (4x true 2-ways + 2 tweeters) and an 80 watt sub similar to the MPV's. I'd have loved to have that option on the MPV.

-brianV

03 Sage Green LX
01 Subaru Forester S+ MT
papabear
MPVClub Posting Maniac
born again runner
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: 03 MPV LX Pre-wired for subwoofer? Reply with quote

Just to finalize. Can someone with the OEM sub check where it's connection leads to? Is it behind the mounting plate and connects to the driver side rear 6X9 speaker's harness or is it connected somehow to the orange taped harness pictured earlier.

Catbui? Fox?

Beach, having the '03 already, have you checked about the pre-wire to the sub? That is since you're getting someone's old sub once their wife decides which friggin vehicle she wants. Rolling Eyes

I got so involved on this topic, I just want it to end with more questions answered.

Any All-sport LX '03 owners can check this as well for new owners contemplating a sub upgrade. Just pop that rear panel to the jack stand and look. Maybe a pic or two... help

cuz apparently the diagrams provided by Mazda seem a little misleading...

Rogelio (ro-hel'-lyo)
07 Ody EX-L w/navi&dvd
The other cars...

08 Nissan Altima Hybrid
Beachnut
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: 03 MPV LX Pre-wired for subwoofer? Reply with quote

Heh, after 61 replies to this topic I'll have to admit I'm a little confused Embarassed , but I'll check it out this weekend.
lazyfox_
MPVClub Posting Maniac
sleepless computer addict
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 03 MPV LX Pre-wired for subwoofer? Reply with quote

I can't see that much anything in there, but these pictures might clear things up.
2002 Mazda MPV ES Sunlight Silver Zoom-Zoom
2009 MAZDA3 s Grand Touring 5-Door Stormy Blue Mica Zoooom-Zoooooom

[img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/cz.gif[/img:f9299cb053] [img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/usa.gif[/img:f9299cb053]

J-10_large.gif

J-10_large.gif - File downloaded or viewed 1341 time(s)

J-10.gif

J-10.gif - File downloaded or viewed 787 time(s)

woofer_circuit.gif

woofer_circuit.gif - File downloaded or viewed 28995 time(s)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
03sageLX
MPVClub Resident
My karma ate my dogma.
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 03 MPV LX Pre-wired for subwoofer? Reply with quote

Beautiful ! Interesting that they're also pulling signal off of the rear tweeters. I wasn't planning on hooking those up. I wonder if they're doing that to balance the load on the head unit?

Looks like the F pin on the woofer is the remote lead from the head unit. What exactly is that used for? It seems to me that the amp should just filter the signal and amplify the portion it's interested in. What's it need to talk to the head unit directly for? Changing bass/treble should occur internal to the head unit. Could be a remote power switch I suppose...

Hmmm. Well, it's easy enough to duplicate. I wonder if I can get the head unit remote lead off of the wiring harness without breaking into the dash ? (Did I mention that I hate working under the dash ? Smile )

This is great. It'll take some work, but this is definately doable. One full day, maybe a weekend's worth of work 'cause I haven't done it in a long time.

Thanks a million you guys. I'll document and post pic's, but I won't have the pieces until week after next.

-brianV

03 Sage Green LX
01 Subaru Forester S+ MT
papabear
MPVClub Posting Maniac
born again runner
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 03 MPV LX Pre-wired for subwoofer? Reply with quote

Fox, I had that diagram (as you know!) just couldn't get it to save on my desktop. Thanks! I was hoping 03sage could figure something from it.

The switch remote lead from the radio is pretty easy to splice into from the wiring harness. You'll have to snake it to the back but there's so much space under the carpet and lots of wiring harnesses that you can use as guides.

Let me find what I had posted before as far as the color...

Here it is. It's the pink/blue wire in the harness for the remote lead turn-on. Good luck on the install. It should be fun!

I've got to find time to uninstall my 6x8's for shipment and replace the OEM's. I just heard on the news that the child tax credit checks should be in the mail soon...new speakers are definitely on the hot to-do list!

Rogelio (ro-hel'-lyo)
07 Ody EX-L w/navi&dvd
The other cars...

08 Nissan Altima Hybrid
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 03 MPV LX Pre-wired for subwoofer? Reply with quote

Rog, you need to become one with the file so that you can save the picture. Wink

I'll try and locate.. and actually take a photo of the connector on my sub this weekend. I have to replace the rear wiper squirter anyway, so I'm sure I can kill some time w/some R&D.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lazyfox_
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 03 MPV LX Pre-wired for subwoofer? Reply with quote

OK, so I took the cup holder and the other piece off to take a look in there. From what I saw, the whole space was filled with the electric sliding door assembly (now I know why I can't get one of these Wink )Seems like that orange labeled wire and the plug are really part of the electric sliding door motor assembly. It's hard to see it on the picture, but there were some small wires going out of that plug towards the electric motor. The second picture shows the best view I could get with sticking my camera in the hole. Seems like the woofer is really connected up to the rear speaker.

Also I turned my radio on and listened close to the woofer, I could hear it, but I think there would be much of improvement in the sound quality if there was one more woofer like that in the front of the car. I think it is not as strong woofer to be able to hear substantial amount of the bass coming from it in the front of the vehicle.

[img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/cz.gif[/img:f9299cb053] [img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/usa.gif[/img:f9299cb053]

Look inside up on top of the woofer where it's connection should be.
woofer2.jpg

woofer2.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 1262 time(s)

View inside the side panel of the arm rest, electric door motor asembly and detail of the orange wire.
woofer1.jpg

woofer1.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 728 time(s)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Olyts
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: 03 MPV LX Pre-wired for subwoofer? Reply with quote

Here is a pic that might had to LazyFox pictures. I dont have the woofer but I do have the PSD.

Here it is! My guess is this is the connector I would probably use to plug in the woofer.

2010 Toyota RAV4

RearWoofConnect.jpg

RearWoofConnect.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 717 time(s)

swiftturtle
MPVClub Resident
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 03 MPV LX Pre-wired for subwoofer? Reply with quote

Pictures of the subwoofer connection from a 2003 ES.
2003 ES Coastal Blue Metallic

sub connect.jpg

sub connect.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 1242 time(s)

swiftturtle
MPVClub Resident
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 03 MPV LX Pre-wired for subwoofer? Reply with quote

I forgot to attached this picture of the plug. Sorry its pretty bad, after I was finished (had the van panel back up) and was at the compter I noticed that the flash washed out all of the close ups but this one.

subplugcloseup.jpg

subplugcloseup.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 691 time(s)

swiftturtle
MPVClub Resident
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: 03 MPV LX Pre-wired for subwoofer? Reply with quote

03sageLX wrote:
After pricing subwoofers/amps with boxes, and given that I'm unwilling to give up any space and/or mount amps to the floor and rewire everything, this really isn't a bad deal. We bought this vehicle for the interior versatility - I'm not giving that up in the name of better sound.

Splicing-in shouldn't be that hard, since I don't have to go into the dash, and from the looks of the subwoofer, patching around the stock connector shouldn't be that bad either - it's held together with screws. I don't know if it's also glued, (couldn't tell on the ES I looked at last night, but either way, it shouldn't be that bad. I have a Dremel with all manner of attachments for this kind of work - miniature saws, router bits, you name it. Very handy little piece of work... prolly my most versatile tool.

I wonder if there's an electronics supply store that sells the male end of that plug? I could make my own harness then, without disassembling the subwoofer... hmmmm.

Back in Chicago, I knew just the place. I'll have to poke around the yellow pages a bit here in Denver.

If I find a match, I'll be sure to post it.

-brianV

Not really sure what you are looking for but.....MPV Wiring harness connectors by scosche...... perhaps they have something that will do the job.

http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=1386

papabear
MPVClub Posting Maniac
born again runner
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: 03 MPV LX Pre-wired for subwoofer? Reply with quote

Olyts wrote:
Here is a pic that might had to LazyFox pictures. I dont have the woofer but I do have the PSD.

Here it is! My guess is this is the connector I would probably use to plug in the woofer.

This looks like the plug I pictured earlier but it doesn't look like it would fit the plug Fox has pictured from the disconnected sub. That's very curious...Having the powersliding doors would make you think this plug would be used already, but since Olyts doesn't have the sub, you have to assume it should be the sub plug.

I wonder if Blaine's plug looks the same. Also, when 03sage finally gets the sub or Beach for that matter, if they can check out what's what. I'd be happy to test that plug, maybe when Fox and I have our mini-meet we can swap his sub out and try it my van...

Thanks for the pics guys, this is really going to help some members decide about sub upgrades! What a helpful community!

Rogelio (ro-hel'-lyo)
07 Ody EX-L w/navi&dvd
The other cars...

08 Nissan Altima Hybrid
swiftturtle
MPVClub Resident
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 03 MPV LX Pre-wired for subwoofer? Reply with quote

papabear wrote:
This looks like the plug I pictured earlier but it doesn't look like it would fit the plug Fox has pictured from the disconnected sub. That's very curious...Having the powersliding doors would make you think this plug would be used already, but since Olyts doesn't have the sub, you have to assume it should be the sub plug.

I wonder if Blaine's plug looks the same. Also, when 03sage finally gets the sub or Beach for that matter, if they can check out what's what. I'd be happy to test that plug, maybe when Fox and I have our mini-meet we can swap his sub out and try it my van...

Umm I think thats my disconnected plug you are referring to. Cool I think your right, I highly doubt the orange plug would fit into my sub (2003). I suppose the question is did Mazda change the connectors from the 2002 to the 2003 subs.

lazyfox_
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 03 MPV LX Pre-wired for subwoofer? Reply with quote

OK guys, the orange thing IMHO will not be a plug most likely. It is not used for the PSD control unit. If you compare the Papabear's and Olyt's picture, the PSD uses the wire cluster going besides this orange thing (on Olyt's picture). I took a second look inside mine MPV and there is nothing going out from the other side of the orange thing (seems to be sealed with a plastic cover). IMHO, that orange thing is just an extension connector/splitter as it has multiple wires of the same color going in to it. (why would a plug has the same wire twice?). The woofer's only connection based on the service manual picture is on the top coming from the rear speaker. So if this plug is not coming from the rear speaker, you will have to tap into the wiring yourself.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Audio, Video, Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: