MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

03 MPV LX Pre-wired for subwoofer?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Audio, Video, Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kdt82002

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:56 am    Post subject: 03 MPV LX Pre-wired for subwoofer? Reply with quote

I've been reading the posts about whether the MPV LX is pre-wired for dash tweeters and subwoofer and it seems like it may depend on the year of the MPV. 2 dealers have already said that the LX is not pre-wired. I have a 03 MPV LX and as far as the dash tweeters are concerned, there doesn't even seem to be a cap to remove to check to see if there is any wiring. At first glance, there appears to be a cap on the dash where tweeters would go and it may lead you to believe that you can remove it but when you try, it doesn't pop out. It doesn't look like there was ever a hole there to begin with. And it doesn't have that "notch" to pry up the cap like someone mentioned. So I may have to drop the tweeter idea. But I do seem to have that orange colored connector in the jack compartment that supposedly is used for the subwoofer. Can someone confirm again that I can get the factory sub and just connect this orange connector to the subwoofer?
03sageLX
MPVClub Resident
My karma ate my dogma.
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 03 MPV LX Pre-wired for subwoofer? Reply with quote

I can confirm that our new 03 MPV LX is pre-wired for both the front tweeters and the sub-woofer. Use a small jeweler's screw driver or similar to carefully pop the tweeter caps out of the dash - you may find speaker wires attached as I did! I think since they started offering the super sound system in the All Sport Package as an option, they may have started pre-wiring the LX's for the sound system. The LX-SV may not be, however, since you can't add option packages to that model.

We're very pleased to be sure to find everything pre-wired. Smile

Can anyone say if the factory sub-woofer adds power to the whole system, i.e. also functions as a system amp? I'm afraid I'm out of the loop regarding stereo sytems in general, so I'm not even certain which questions to ask...

What are our chances of getting the factory amp and tweeters as parts? I'd prefer a plug and play solution if there is one.

The standard sound system could certainly use some, ahem, help...

Thanks in advance,

-brianV

03 Sage Green LX
01 Subaru Forester S+ MT
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 03 MPV LX Pre-wired for subwoofer? Reply with quote

Hi Brian,

The factory subwoofer has a built-in amplifier, just for the subwoofer itself, so no it doesn't add any other system power. You can order the subwoofer from Mazda (or mazdastuff.com) but it lists for about $400. not a horrible price, esp since it's plug-n-play.

Glad to know it's pre-wired!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Beachnut
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 03 MPV LX Pre-wired for subwoofer? Reply with quote

I will also confirm that the dash tweeter locations on the '03 LX are prewired. I just installed the ones that Catbui gave me last year for my '01 LX. The '01 LX is definitely NOT prewired. The tweeter caps are hard to pry out - I used two small screwdrivers, one to pry and hold, one to pop the rest of the way out. The wire harness/connector is plugged into the bottom of the caps. Just play and play!

It's good to hear about the subwoofer plug too. Hopefully one of those will find it's way into my van too .... ahem, Java?!
03sageLX
MPVClub Resident
My karma ate my dogma.
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: 03 MPV LX Pre-wired for subwoofer? Reply with quote

Thanks for the prompt response, guys.

So if the subwoofer amp only boosts the subwoofer itself, how do they get to 180 watts of power for the super sound system. Does the super sound system have a different head unit too ?

Just wondering what I'd get for a $400 investment...

Are the door speakers also upgraded in the super sound system ?

I'm leaning toward Mazda tweeters and subwoofer, maybe aftermarket door speakers depending on how things compare...

tia,

-brianV

03 Sage Green LX
01 Subaru Forester S+ MT
papabear
MPVClub Posting Maniac
born again runner
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 03 MPV LX Pre-wired for subwoofer? Reply with quote

When they say 180 watts they count the ability for the OEM head unit to deliver 25watts into each channel (100watts for that) then I think someone mentioned the amp on the sub is rated at 80 watts possibly.

So if you buy the supersound OEM you're not getting a new head unit or external amp. Just more speakers and a sub with its own amplifier I believe.

Rogelio (ro-hel'-lyo)
07 Ody EX-L w/navi&dvd
The other cars...

08 Nissan Altima Hybrid
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 03 MPV LX Pre-wired for subwoofer? Reply with quote

Papabear is spot on. The subwoofer has a built-in 80watt amplifier, just for the sub. That give you the extra wattage to get the system to the advertised 180watts.

The OEM subwoofer system isn't a bad little piece. Nothing like a custom or large (trunk-sucking-up) aftermarket, but it doesn't take up any interior space.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
03sageLX
MPVClub Resident
My karma ate my dogma.
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 03 MPV LX Pre-wired for subwoofer? Reply with quote

-java: Well, and space matters, so I'm inclined to go with the stock unit if I can get one reasonably priced. I'd just as soon prefer to tuck the unit away and out of side that be tripping over it all the time.

-papabear: 50 watts a side ? That'll prolly do for now.

Now are the door speakers upgraded with the super sound system or not ? I'm thinking I read somewhere that they're upgraded, but I can't find that anymore... I'm also wondering if the resistance is changed to account for the extra speakers on the line with the 9 speaker system, i.e. if I can truly just plug in the tweeters on an existing 4 speaker system, or if I need to swap all of them at once to avoid messing up the head unit.

Anyone have specs on the door/rear panel speakers for the 4 speaker and 9 speaker systems?

tia,

-brianV

PS. By the way, Java, I'm the guy you sent the info on the engine oil cooler to waaay back when... Took me a while to get into one of these, but we finally pulled it off ! Thanks for all the support all these months.

03 Sage Green LX
01 Subaru Forester S+ MT
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 03 MPV LX Pre-wired for subwoofer? Reply with quote

Sure is nice to see a fellow Subaru Crew member. Cool

Adding the tweeters probably won't mess with the resistance enough for the head unit to know. Are you going to add the rear tweeters as well?

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()
papabear
MPVClub Posting Maniac
born again runner
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 03 MPV LX Pre-wired for subwoofer? Reply with quote

BrianV,

the stated watts are not really that high. They are probably only good for the OEM spkrs since aftermarkets may need more power to drive well. We are talking paper cone spkrs here.

If you go with OEM, you need to make sure that your vehicle is prewired for the extra tweeters (both front and rear), otherwise you will have to splice into the front and rear door speaker wiring and wire the tweeters in parallel. If you go this route, I would suggest that you only use the OEM tweeters since aftermarket tweeters will change the actual load that the OEM headunit was designed for. Plus, aftermarket tweeters may not sound as nice underpowered (some have had success just adding some aftermarket tweeters to the 4 spkr system though).

I've never had anyone confirm with the 9 spkr system to see if the door speakers are coaxial or actual midwoofers with a passive crossover. I'm inclined to think they are just the same two-ways as in the 4 spkr system with the dash tweeters added.

The rear 9 spkr system has cutouts for the tweets. If you add tweeters in the rear of a four speaker van, you may need to cut or flush mount tweets in the back. Depending on your sound requirements/budget, you may opt to just keep the rear as is or just upgrade the 6X9's to some better albeit easy-to-drive aftermarket spkrs. Especially if you plan to keep the head unit and not add separate amplification. HTH

Rogelio (ro-hel'-lyo)
07 Ody EX-L w/navi&dvd
The other cars...

08 Nissan Altima Hybrid
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 03 MPV LX Pre-wired for subwoofer? Reply with quote

03Sage, No problem... we're here to help y'all out! Smile

I'm too lazy(fox) to look right now, but someone, maybe Alex or Papabear or such, posted pics of their van w/a door panel off. Depending on if they had the 9speaker system, you'd be able to see the door speaker right there. Again, I don't recall who posted the pic, but I believe it's in the Audio section of the MPVClub site.

I've got MBQuarts in the van, and the 25w/channel is a bit light for what those speakers want. 50w/channel would keep them much happier, imho. I'd tell you if the OEM speakers that I removed were coax or whatnot.... but I tossed them long ago. I highly doubt that the speakers are any different than the 4speaker units, w/the obvious addition of the separate tweeters. My Mitchell's lists the same part number for both.

Hmmmm... all of these people wanting an OEM subwoofer unit... Bidding war.... <wrings hands greedily>
03sageLX
MPVClub Resident
My karma ate my dogma.
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: 03 MPV LX Pre-wired for subwoofer? Reply with quote

-subearu: Agreed! Our taste in car brands obviously runs pretty close to each other... Smile I think we've found some of the best values anywhere in our 3 vehicles (I drive a Forester instead of an Outback, as you well know).

-papabear: I'm thinking of a 7 speaker system - 4 stock 6x9's plus 2 front tweeters (they are pre-wired, see my post above) and the OEM subwoofer. Then we'll see where to go from there. I'm not eager to cut the rear panels for tweeters back there unless I must to balance the load on the head unit. My son is more interested in the bass line anyway... Smile

-javadoc: I guess I'd be a little surprised that they use identical 6x9's in the stock system and the upgraded system, especially given that the stock 6x9's are none too special. I'm not familiar with Mitchell's, would it help to get Mazda's internal numbers if I can ?

I guess I missed that you're selling an OEM subwoofer unit. We would be interested if that's the case. Let me know.

I've requested a quote on the speakers from mazdapartspeople.com. I'm also looking for an extra full-size rim (16x6.5JJ) for a full-size spare while towing, but that's another topic...

tia,

-brianV

03 Sage Green LX
01 Subaru Forester S+ MT
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: 03 MPV LX Pre-wired for subwoofer? Reply with quote

Quote:
I guess I missed that you're selling an OEM subwoofer unit. We would be interested if that's the case. Let me know.

No, I was teasing someone. If my MPV van gets sold/traded, the subwoofer is betrothed (sp) already. Wink

The 6disc changer would be up for grabs, though... fits 2000/2001s...
papabear
MPVClub Posting Maniac
born again runner
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 03 MPV LX Pre-wired for subwoofer? Reply with quote

03Sage,

The front door speakers are 5X7/6X8 not sure if 6X9 will fit the bolt pattern correctly so if you go 6x9 careful with the measurements. I haven't measured the depth, but you can take your spkrs out to measure the depth and width to make sure of fit. I'd worry more about the depth and just stick to a 6X8.

Someone posted earlier that crutchfield provided the right plug to interface aftermarket front door spkrs to the wiring harness on the van so if you need the plug, Crutchfield might be a good starting place (even if they aren't listing the MPV anymore on their size charts)

Rogelio (ro-hel'-lyo)
07 Ody EX-L w/navi&dvd
The other cars...

08 Nissan Altima Hybrid
03sageLX
MPVClub Resident
My karma ate my dogma.
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 03 MPV LX Pre-wired for subwoofer? Reply with quote

-papabear: Sounds like I might have the size wrong. I thought I saw 6x9 listed under the FAQ section of mazdausa.com. That's where I got the size from, anyway.

-brianV

03 Sage Green LX
01 Subaru Forester S+ MT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Audio, Video, Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: