MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Towing package for 96-98 MPV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
velokid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:34 pm    Post subject: Towing package for 96-98 MPV Reply with quote

Does anyone know if there is an easy way to tell which 96-98 MPV's came with the towing package? Was it standard on 4x4, ES or All-Sport trims? Is it possible to tell from the VIN if the MPV has the towing package?

TIA!
Kiwimpv
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Gen1 Advocate
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing package for 96-98 MPV Reply with quote

The towing package on the Gen1's had an air compressor for the ALL - Automatic Load Levelling system for pumping up the rear adjustable air shocks. This should be under the hood but I don't recall seeing a photo where...? Apart from that, it had an additional oil cooler mounted down behind a RH fog light position if IIRC for the transmission.

Cheers!

goggles

Graeme + 1 + 4
93 Efini V6 162km
87 Capella/626 1.8i 176km
My Weather Site
78 20ft Trlr Camper
rpieper
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing package for 96-98 MPV Reply with quote

Not at home this week but as I recall the AllSport model should have the tranny cooler, the ALL, and the full size spare - just doesn't have a towbar or electrical connection for towing.
98 White ES AllSport 86K and loving it
95 White Honda Accord 168K - Son hijacked it for himself
92 Black Volvo 240 275K and died of a brain fry
skeneguy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing package for 96-98 MPV Reply with quote

Here's a site that should help:
http://www.sjfn.nb.ca/saint_john_area_business/w/mazda/mpv.html
But basically as I remember, the tow package had the ALL, the tranny cooler and the high capacity fan. The full size spare was standard on the 4x4 whether it had the tow package or not, but on the 2wd only the tow package had the full size spare.

1992 MPV 4WD (sold..sorry)
1982 Ford F150 XLS Stepside
1995 Explorer XLT
4X4AllSport
89-98 MPV Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing package for 96-98 MPV Reply with quote

Hey, velokid, so, you're an Autobot, huh? Hehe..I'm down with the Decepticons. laughter
Arrow Anyhow, there is no easy way to tell if an MP (89-98 ) came with the Load Leveling Package a.k.a. tow package just by looking at the exterior. It's also not easy to differentiate between some LX and ES trims by looking at the exterior, for that matter. It's not possible to tell by the VIN if an MP has the Load Leveling Package. What I can tell is that the towing package is standard on all ES models, regardless of 2WD or 4x4, and optional on all LX's (also, regardless of 2WD/4x4). The package included the Auto-Load Leveling, tranny oil cooler, larger cooling fan, and a full-size spare.

97 Efini MPV ES 4WD All-Sport M Edition
Indigo Blue/Silent Silver,77k mi
InDash TouchScreen DVD/CD/TV,ClassIII HiddenHitch,HitchStep,JDM Spoiler,Cone Filter,PIAA Spark 4900K

01 Millenia S,58k mi
04 Lexus GX470,35k mi
93 Honda Civic DX,88k mi
Had a 90 MP 2WD,224k mi

judge Mazda's MPV is M.V.P. clever
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
velokid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing package for 96-98 MPV Reply with quote

LOL 4x4AllSport - I wanted to make an avatar that incorporated a Decepticon icon too, fading from on to the other like Subearu's, but at least this is a start. [/OT]

Anyway, I've been looking at 96-98 All-Sports that could serve double-duty for towing needs I mentioned here. I found a low-mileage '98 ES that should fill the bill, and based on what you said it should only need a hitch and brake controller and I'd be all set.
4X4AllSport
89-98 MPV Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing package for 96-98 MPV Reply with quote

velokid wrote:
LOL 4x4AllSport - I wanted to make an avatar that incorporated a Decepticon icon too, fading from on to the other like Subearu's, but at least this is a start. [/OT]
Laughing h, I see.

velokid wrote:
Anyway, I've been looking at 96-98 All-Sports that could serve double-duty for towing needs I mentioned here. I found a low-mileage '98 ES that should fill the bill, and based on what you said it should only need a hitch and brake controller and I'd be all set.
I wholeheartedly agree. thumbsup Wink'n'Grin

97 Efini MPV ES 4WD All-Sport M Edition
Indigo Blue/Silent Silver,77k mi
InDash TouchScreen DVD/CD/TV,ClassIII HiddenHitch,HitchStep,JDM Spoiler,Cone Filter,PIAA Spark 4900K

01 Millenia S,58k mi
04 Lexus GX470,35k mi
93 Honda Civic DX,88k mi
Had a 90 MP 2WD,224k mi

judge Mazda's MPV is M.V.P. clever
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 89-98 MPV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: