MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Is there a Check Engine Codes list??
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
91MPV90&95RX-7

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: Is there a Check Engine Codes list?? Reply with quote

Hello all. I'm a lifelong RX-7 owner and currently own a 90 T2 RX-7 and a 95 RX-7. I tried my best to only drive RX-7s even though I had 2 kids so I went out and bought rear seats for my 90 and I managed to get away with it fairly comfortably for 5 years. We recently had our third baby and there is NO way I could fit another carseat into the T2 so I purchased a 91 MPV V6. She drives great and I'm honestly surprised at how much fun she is to drive even though she is S----L-----O-----W (At least compared to my 7s).
The only problem I have is that after driving about 5-10 minutes the check engine light comes on. I know on the 7s I am able to jumper a plug in the engine bay and get the code. Is there a way to do this on the MPV and if so is there a list of available or at least known codes? I already have a deposit on the RX-8 so this MPV is going to have to last me about a year and a half. (Of course my kids like the MPV so much they might force me to keep the RX-8 for myself and get a new MPV)

Thanks in advance and I gotta tell you I'm quite happy to have found this site. I'm a regular at www.rx7club.com and figured "what the hell" maybe theres a www.mpvclub.com
Kiwimpv
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Gen1 Advocate
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a Check Engine Codes list?? Reply with quote

Hey RX-7, welcome aboard - good thinking about Club website name -EASY!

I haven't seen a full list of engine check codes but if you do a search using the Search button up top, and put in: " check and engine and code " in you get a short list of 16 topics - well, I narrowed it down to the 89-98 MPV Forum as well to get relevant info...

Some are there... check "pulling fault codes" for a starter...

4X4, GEN1 - anyone have a complete list they can publish on the site?

I guess we need to get a manual Huh?
Rolling Eyes

Wink

Graeme + 1 + 4
93 Efini V6 162km
87 Capella/626 1.8i 176km
My Weather Site
78 20ft Trlr Camper
4X4AllSport
89-98 MPV Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a Check Engine Codes list?? Reply with quote

KIWIMPV wrote:

4X4, GEN1 - anyone have a complete list they can publish on the site?

I guess we need to get a manual Huh?
I've yet to see a complete list of check engine codes anywhere, let alone, on-line, but I'll keep an eye out. I skimmed through the Chilton's manual and a wiring diagram manual, but no luck thus far. Anyone got a Haynes manual they can check ask
I don't know

97 Efini MPV ES 4WD All-Sport M Edition
Indigo Blue/Silent Silver,77k mi
InDash TouchScreen DVD/CD/TV,ClassIII HiddenHitch,HitchStep,JDM Spoiler,Cone Filter,PIAA Spark 4900K

01 Millenia S,58k mi
04 Lexus GX470,35k mi
93 Honda Civic DX,88k mi
Had a 90 MP 2WD,224k mi

judge Mazda's MPV is M.V.P. clever
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kiwimpv
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Gen1 Advocate
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a Check Engine Codes list?? Reply with quote

4X4AllSport wrote:

Anyone got a Haynes manual they can check ask
I don't know

Funny thing you mention that - yesterday I just ordered the Haynes manual from Amazon.com, so in a couple weeks I should be able to answer any Q. Just $19.95 and $12 postage. I had searched through REPCO shop here and it wasn't listed. Still keen to hear... Razz

Graeme + 1 + 4
93 Efini V6 162km
My Weather Site
78 20ft Trlr Camper

Last edited by Kiwimpv on Mon May 12, 2003 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
DavidMPV

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a Check Engine Codes list?? Reply with quote

hello everyone:

I am also wondering about the "Check Engine Failure Code". Over the past 12 years I have owned my 92 MPV and never have ran into any check engine code failure. Luck out, I guess. Anyway, after scanned through Factory service manual, all I founded is transmission engine code failures.
Perhap, Gen1Hawaii can shed some light on this issue.

BTW, I have an 92 Acura Integras GSR and their service manual list all of the failures code. Smile

Anyone else with any idea or info?
Regard

1992 White MPV6-2WD, 217000 miles (original owner DOP 11/4/1991)
1992 Acura Integra GSR 1.7L 5sp, 337000 miles, original owner (daily driven 130 miles round trip)
2K3 Acura TL type S, V6 3.2L, 81000 miles (Gone)
2K7 MB E350 With Sport Package, 7500 miles
GEN1HAWAII
MPVClub Addict
GEN1 Gear Head
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a Check Engine Codes list?? Reply with quote

91MPV90&95RX-7 wrote:
...The only problem I have is that after driving about 5-10 minutes the check engine light comes on. I know on the 7s I am able to jumper a plug in the engine bay and get the code. Is there a way to do this on the MPV and if so is there a list of available or at least known codes?

ALOHA-

GROUND THE SINGLE GREEN PIN LOCATED ON THE LEFT FENDER. TURN IGNITION KEY TO "ON". WATCH "CE" LIGHT FOR MORSE TYPE CODE. SOUNDS LIKE YOUR O2 SENSOR IS FAULTY. REPLACE O2 SENSOR IF 1-5 OR 1-7 CODE.

Mr. Green

GEN-1-MPV~ GOTTA LOVE 'EM!!! BEYOND 60 AND COUNTING...I don't claim to be a "know-it-all". I only know what I have experienced on the MPV. I have owned a few, and have fixed a few, but everyday I learn something new.

codecheck.JPG

codecheck.JPG - File downloaded or viewed 10272 time(s)

DavidMPV

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a Check Engine Codes list?? Reply with quote

Hello everyone:

Gen1Hawaii, excellent tip on the O2 sensor malfunction code. Let me try to interpreted your morse code. 1-5 or 1-7, obviously the way you have written, one can assume is not a number 15 or 17 code. Right?
Therefore, by looking at the CE light flashing, you will see a 1 quick short pulse and perhap period of blank and then 5 quick short pulse.

From the past experience a long pulse would indicate a number 10:
for example: let say you have #15 code: CE light flash 1 long pulse then follow by 5 quick pulses.

BTW, where did you get the malfunction code 1-5, 1-7 for the O2 sensor?
It is from the Mazda cookbook?
Can you clarify the malfunction code 1-5, 1-7 ?

I just have an idea that we can figure out all the code pertains to our engine if we work it backward:

For example: Take O2 sensor, just disconnect the plug to the device, ran engine and let the computer register a failure code. After it is registered in the memory. From here we can decoded as you have suggested by grounding green pin test connector. We can applied this method to other known system such as: knock sensor, TPS, Air flow sensor, and ect...........

***Assuming that we do not have the cookbook.

Just my thought. What do you guys or gail thinks?
Regards

1992 White MPV6-2WD, 217000 miles (original owner DOP 11/4/1991)
1992 Acura Integra GSR 1.7L 5sp, 337000 miles, original owner (daily driven 130 miles round trip)
2K3 Acura TL type S, V6 3.2L, 81000 miles (Gone)
2K7 MB E350 With Sport Package, 7500 miles
GEN1HAWAII
MPVClub Addict
GEN1 Gear Head
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a Check Engine Codes list?? Reply with quote

DavidNPV wrote:
I just have an idea...

GREAT IDEA. YOU CAN LEARN A LOT ABOUT WHAT TO EXPECT FROM A COMPONENT. "SPEC" IT WHILE IT IS WORKING- IF THE SPECS DONT MATCH AT TIME OF TROUBLE- YOU KNOW THAT COMPONENT IS AT FAULT. THAT IS HOW I LEARNED ABOUT THE IGNITION SYSTEM. I "SPEC'D" A RUNNING MPV- MATCHED THOSE SPECS TO A BROKEN MPV- AND DETERMINED IT WAS THE IGNTION AT FAULT ON THE BROKEN MPV.

ATTACHED IS THE CODE CHART FROM THE HAYNES "COOKBOOK"

Mr. Green

GEN-1-MPV~ GOTTA LOVE 'EM!!! BEYOND 60 AND COUNTING...I don't claim to be a "know-it-all". I only know what I have experienced on the MPV. I have owned a few, and have fixed a few, but everyday I learn something new.

V6CODES.jpg

V6CODES.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 11640 time(s)

Kiwimpv
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Gen1 Advocate
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a Check Engine Codes list?? Reply with quote

GEN1HAWAII wrote:

ATTACHED IS THE CODE CHART FROM THE HAYNES "COOKBOOK"

Mr. Green

Thanks GEN1, scanned, saved and loaded to site - THANKS!
And great photos too.
Should expect my manual in 10 days time now, no probs right now but security knowing info is there and is coming...

Wink goggles

Graeme + 1 + 4
93 Efini V6 162km
My Weather Site
78 20ft Trlr Camper
91MPV90&95RX-7

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a Check Engine Codes list?? Reply with quote

I picked up the Haynes manual. Unfortunately when I jumper the pin and ground it I get no results. All the lights come on, and then the check engine goes out.
The light doesn't stay on after I start the van to drive but it does come on anywhere from 5 to ten minutes into the drive.
Is it possible that it was never reset? or would the light stay on immediately if that were the case? Theres slightly over 140,000 miles on her so she's already gone through a few of Mazda's mandatory check engine lightings.
I guess I'm gonna have to take her in to be checked out by Mazda. I'm not looking forward to that as I like to do my own work. I guess I can always just have them check the code only.

BTW, Thanks everyone for your responses.
Kiwimpv
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Gen1 Advocate
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a Check Engine Codes list?? Reply with quote

KIWIMPV wrote:

Should expect my manual in 10 days time now, no probs right now but security knowing info is there and is coming...

Wink goggles

And it arrived today, ordered on 12th and here on 23rd in NZ - not bad Amazon.com! Rather Amazin...

And the codes are there exactly as per the above list. The index isn't very detailed, but at least I have something to work with now...

Zim, Zim; Zoom, Zoom, Zoom. >>>>>

d/w has it all loaded up with hockey gear for trip tomorrow, and I'm forced to work the w/e out at the mill...

RX-7 - hope you solve your prob - manual says to have engine hot, trans in Neutral - not Park, all ancillary equip off and batty over 11volts. Turn off, earth the connector and turn IGN to on... sorry, I know you have the manual, just dbl checking...

Graeme + 1 + 4
93 Efini V6 162km
My Weather Site
78 20ft Trlr Camper
GEN1HAWAII
MPVClub Addict
GEN1 Gear Head
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a Check Engine Codes list?? Reply with quote

91MPV90&95RX-7 wrote:
I picked up the Haynes manual. Unfortunately when I jumper the pin and ground it I get no results. All the lights come on, and then the check engine goes out.
WHICH MEANS THE ECU IS NOT STORING THE TROUBLE CODE
Quote:

The light doesn't stay on after I start the van to drive but it does come on anywhere from 5 to ten minutes into the drive.
I'M TELLING YOU... CHECK THE O2 SENSOR
Quote:

Is it possible that it was never reset? or would the light stay on immediately if that were the case? Theres slightly over 140,000 miles on her so she's already gone through a few of Mazda's mandatory check engine lightings.
YES- THE LIGHT WOULD STAY ON IMMEDIATELY IF IT HAD NEVER BEEN RESET AT 80K MILES.
Quote:

I guess I'm gonna have to take her in to be checked out by Mazda. I'm not looking forward to that as I like to do my own work. I guess I can always just have them check the code only.
SAVE THE MONEY AND INVEST IT INTO A NEW O2 SENSOR

Mr. Green

91MPV90&95RX-7

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a Check Engine Codes list?? Reply with quote

OK GEN1, You've convinced me. I'll be getting an O2 sensor this weekend. How can I question the knowledge of someone who makes it a practice to save MPVs and has previously owned over 40 of them.
cpn_harlock

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a Check Engine Codes list?? Reply with quote

91MPV90&95RX-7 wrote:

Thanks in advance and I gotta tell you I'm quite happy to have found this site. I'm a regular at www.rx7club.com and figured "what the hell" maybe theres a www.mpvclub.com

haha. thats how i found this site too.
mgonzalez

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a Check Engine Codes list?? Reply with quote

Here are Engine and tranny DTCs
Mazda user from Argentina. MPV 4WD 1998 and 626 station Wagon 1993.

78756505.gif

78756505.gif - File downloaded or viewed 8809 time(s)

98759774.gif

98759774.gif - File downloaded or viewed 8960 time(s)

98762447.gif

98762447.gif - File downloaded or viewed 8989 time(s)

98762448.gif

98762448.gif - File downloaded or viewed 9081 time(s)

78756501.gif

78756501.gif - File downloaded or viewed 9087 time(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 89-98 MPV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: