MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

brake ABS light on
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daveoc17

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: brake ABS light on Reply with quote

I replaced the brakes (fronts and backs) on my MPV (1998 All Sport 4wd 115.057 miles) back in August this year. It has been running perfectly good up until last week when the ABS light came on and it has been like that since then. I disconnected the battery cable just to see if it went away,still there. Brake fluid reservoir is full. @ this point I don't know wich way to turn. As always any piece of advice will be fully appreciated. Very Happy Very Happy
bubba
MPVClub Resident
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: brake ABS light on Reply with quote

Not likely that the brake service you did some months ago would be related but no way to tell untill we know why the ABS light is coming on davoc17.
If the fluid level was low then the BRAKE light would also be on. Need to get the ABS computer to talk to you and flash you a code about why it has turned the light on. This is not a difficult thing to do.

Up under the hood just ahead of the fuse box and next to the air cleaner housing to the outside should be a little black box that is labeled DIAGNOSIS. If you will flip the cover up on this box then underneath is an electrical connector. Refer to the diagram below and use a jumper wire to connect the electrical terminal that is labeled TBS to a ground point like the negative battery cable. Once you have done this then get inside and turn the key to ON position. The ABS light should come on and go off and then start to flash. This flashing pattern will give you this code that we need to determine why the light has been turned on in the first place. A light flash that lasts only 1/2 second is a ones digit. A light flash that lasts longer than a second is a tens digit. ie 5 quick flashes would be a code 5. 2 long flashes followed by 4 short would be a code 24. If there is only one code then it will just be repeated over and over. If there are more than one then will output the lowest number code then next higher number code, etc and then repeat over and over. The codes are all two digit codes except for 3 and 5 which would give you 3 quick flashes or 5 quick flashes. Otherwise the codes output that are available are, 11,12,13,14,15,22,23,24,25,26,27,41,42,43,44,51,53,61,and finally 63.
If we can crank out one of these codes then will be able to hopefully pinpoint the problem area.

This is the TBS terminal location in the MPV in underhood DLC
mpv tbs ground.gif

mpv tbs ground.gif - File downloaded or viewed 3996 time(s)

Flash pattern
abs flashing pattern.gif

abs flashing pattern.gif - File downloaded or viewed 3924 time(s)

70 140

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: brake ABS light on Reply with quote

You will probably discover that it is a wheel sensor that has gone bad.
300,000+ Km's
4 Timing belts and counting...
daveoc17

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: brake ABS light on Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your replies guys. Doug I will try to "crack" those codes tomorrow saturday and see what happens. I will keep you posted. As far as the wheel sensors go, could you please tell where are these located exactly?. Once again thank you very much for taking the time to respond.
70 140

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: brake ABS light on Reply with quote

To get to the wheel sensors you will need to remove the caliper and rotor. The codes will help you narrow down which one you need to go after.

I suppose it could be something else, but usually wheel sensors are the culprit.

Mine was rear wheel ABS only. I gave up on it years ago. Pulled the ABS relay, and removed the idiot bulb from the dash.

300,000+ Km's
drwebmonkey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: brake ABS light on Reply with quote

I'm getting a 11 error code. Anybody have a breakdown of the codes?

Thanks!
bubba
MPVClub Resident
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: brake ABS light on Reply with quote

All of the codes and descriptions?? ACK. That would take some typing. How about for now just the code 11 is indicating an open circuit in the right front wheel speed sensor.
Could be caused by a broken wire, disconnected connector at the sensor, or more probably a failed sensor. Resistance across the two electrical pins right at the sensor should be 1400-1800 Ohms.
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: brake ABS light on Reply with quote

This DIY topic may help out with other codes: http://www.mpvclub.com/diy.php?id=82

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()
drwebmonkey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: brake ABS light on Reply with quote

I found the shop manual as a PDF (pdftown.com) and here is a complete table:

MPV ABS Codes.jpg

MPV ABS Codes.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 4085 time(s)

bubba
MPVClub Resident
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: brake ABS light on Reply with quote

That is great find drwebmonkey. The codes in that PDF are good for 1996-1998 MPV. The codes listed at the very bottom of the link that subearu found are valid for 1990-1995 MPV.

I went over to check out this pdftown.com. Is is just me or is Romy the only one that downloads anything? Must be one extremely bored individual. wow
semperfi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: brake ABS light on Reply with quote

This issue interests me because I've recently replaced my power booster. I bench bled my master cylinder and bled all the wheels (I used a hand vacuum pump). When I finished and tried the brakes, I noticed that both my ABS and Brake lights were on despite the fact that my Master Cylinder reservoir was full. I haven't done the "codes" thing yet to determine the ABS problem; however, I'm confused as to why the Brake light is still on. Any ideas?
Semper Fi.
drwebmonkey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: brake ABS light on - Right Front ABS Sensor needed Reply with quote

I looked at my ABS sensor cable and it was frayed, and one of the wires was broken (sticking through). After a very frustrating 90 minutes of trying to fix the very flimsy wires, I finally got it fixed and the sensor was still open (no resistance). I tried to remove the sensor, but it was very secure, and I finally used a hammer and screwdriver to break it free. It literally fell apart, so now I need a new one.

Anybody know of a place to get a right front sensor?
70 140

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: brake ABS light on Reply with quote

The dealer?
300,000+ Km's
drwebmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: brake ABS light on Reply with quote

RockAuto (http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1316283&parttype=1912&a=FRc1316283k1190628) has a variety of them. I'm checking prices with MazdaStuff.com, they have good prices usually on Mazda OEM parts.
flyerp39
none

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: brake ABS light on Reply with quote

bubba wrote:
All of the codes and descriptions?? ACK. That would take some typing. How about for now just the code 11 is indicating an open circuit in the right front wheel speed sensor.
Could be caused by a broken wire, disconnected connector at the sensor, or more probably a failed sensor. Resistance across the two electrical pins right at the sensor should be 1400-1800 Ohms.

I am getting an abs code 14 and my brake light is also on
05 mazda mpv

05 mazda mpv owner
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 89-98 MPV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: