MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

How to remove Engine Control Module from 2001 MPV?
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joeljoel1947

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:18 am    Post subject: How to remove Engine Control Module from 2001 MPV? Reply with quote

Hello,
Mazda dealer has said I have a bad ECM. They want $1100 to replace! I have found a place that will rebuild the existing computer for $269. I just need to get it out! Any ideas on where it is located and how difficult it is to get out? Thanks!!!
steve12955
MPVClub Resident
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: How to remove Engine Control Module from 2001 MPV? Reply with quote

Hello,

The ECM is located in the passenger footwell area beneath the glove box. Before you attempt to remove it, disconnect the battery. The ECM has a large wiring harness and has 104 pin connectors so be careful removing and installing the plug. Mazda lists the ECM at $307 so for a few extra dollars I'd buy a new one rather than have the old one reworked, plus you should save on shipping and time.

There are four P/N: Federal and Calif. versions w/ and w/out immobilizer so look at your old one first before ordering a new one.

Good luck,

Steve
joeljoel1947

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: How to remove Engine Control Module from 2001 MPV? Reply with quote

steve12955 wrote:
Hello,

The ECM is located in the passenger footwell area beneath the glove box. Before you attempt to remove it, disconnect the battery. The ECM has a large wiring harness and has 104 pin connectors so be careful removing and installing the plug. Mazda lists the ECM at $307 so for a few extra dollars I'd buy a new one rather than have the old one reworked, plus you should save on shipping and time.

There are four P/N: Federal and Calif. versions w/ and w/out immobilizer so look at your old one first before ordering a new one.

Good luck,

Steve

Thanks for the info. Problem is the new or used ECM unit you recommend instead will need to be reprogrammed. Mazda said they will refuse to reprogram any ecm I don't buy from them. There is no telling what another Mazda dealer will charge me to reprogram it if I find a dealer that would. Everyone I spoke to said for that particular car it is far easier to repair the existing mudule and plug and play back in (no need for a reprogram on your own computer). Does this make sense?

Where are you seeing $307? That must be for a used one or refurb. I called 2 Mazda dealers myself and the part alone was quoted at $900.
Thanks for the help!
scross
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove Engine Control Module from 2001 MPV? Reply with quote

Just curious - who is your ECM rebuilder? I don't have any ECM or TCM problems at the moment, but you never know, as I've seen several people on here who have.
joeljoel1947

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove Engine Control Module from 2001 MPV? Reply with quote

scross wrote:
Just curious - who is your ECM rebuilder? I don't have any ECM or TCM problems at the moment, but you never know, as I've seen several people on here who have.

Looks like I'm going with AES. They are a little more $ then others but they seem to have by far the best reputation and you get free NEXT DAY shipping to and from them and they have a 1 day turnaround. So its a quick process. $339.

God, I hope this does it! The bad news is they said that there is a slight probability they cannot repair the ECM and will need to sell me a replacement (good news is the replacement is only $30 more). Then, like I said in the last post, the replacement would need to be installed and flashed at a Mazda dealer to suit the needs of my specific vehicle----which costs $250 there! So I'm hoping mine can be repaired and plug and play back in.

I called 2 Mazda dealers and they said the same thing, so it is what it is. For the 2001 MPV this is what you deal with---any outside computer that was not original will need to be flashed at a MAZDA DEALER. And that is $250. They are gonna gong you if you try to circumvent the system like I am doing here. They want their money!
steve12955
MPVClub Resident
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove Engine Control Module from 2001 MPV? Reply with quote

Hello,

The $307 cost came from AllData which is usually very accurate - but it's for an '00 model so I'm not sure if it would differ on an '01. It didn't mention any reprogramming cost.

Here is the AllData info:

Parts Information OEM Part # Price

Engine Control Module

ECM

Without Anti-Theft
Federal
GY0118881R0G $307.53
California
GY0218881R0H $307.53
With Anti-Theft
Federal
GY0318881R0G $307.53
California
GY0418881R0H $307.53

Good luck,

Steve
scross
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove Engine Control Module from 2001 MPV? Reply with quote

I'm a bit confused here. Earlier you stated that Mazda wouldn't reprogram a unit that wasn't purchased from them, but then you said that they would for a $250 fee (which is a total rip-off, in any case - it should be more like $50, max). And if I'm reading the AES web site FAQ correctly, they seem to clearly state that they handle the programming for you. So I don't understand the need to have a Mazda dealer in the loop at all.

http://www.sp-ecu.com/AES_Automotive_Control_Modules/FAQ_Replace_vs_Remanufacture_my_ECU_ECM_TCM_BCM_PCM.html
joeljoel1947

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: How to remove Engine Control Module from 2001 MPV? Reply with quote

For my particular MPV, a 2001, only a Mazda dealer can do the flash. And from what I gathered from a few calls they are REALLY HESITANT and MAY REFUSE to flash a computer that was not bought BRAND NEW from them.

AES said that if they are unable to repair my unit, they will need to sell me a refurbed unit and I will need to take it to a Mazda dealer to be flashed.

After making a dozen more calls yesterday, the above was in line with what other Mazda dealers and other ECM repair centers said FOR MY PARTICULAR 2001 MPV. Other model year MPV's got lucky and got a Ford Computer in it. Those can be flashed by even a little old repair center on your local street corner! Just my luck....

The catch with Mazda is they said if I bring them a refurbed ECM, they can "try" to flash it. HOWEVER----they claim they only have a 50% success rate in flashing a used computer. Bottom line they said the safest thing to do is to be hosed and buy the BRAND NEW $900 computer for my 2001 and have them flash and install it for a grand total of $1150. Rediculious. The van is worth $2000.

So fingers crossed that AES can fix it. That avoids the Flash and the Mazda dealer. I opened the computer to see if I saw anything bad (AES said if the circuit board is fried or burnt or scarred they will likely not be able to fix it) and there is nothing I can see at all that looks mysterious, so I'm hopeful they can fix it.
scross
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: How to remove Engine Control Module from 2001 MPV? Reply with quote

I feel your pain. Knowing a little something about electronics and such, I wouldn't be surprised if the actual component costs of the ECM aren't just a relatively few bucks, making the dealer replacement cost even more outrageous. And I'd bet a reflash effectively costs them nothing, other than a small amount of labor.

The good news is that it is unlikely that the core of the ECM (the computer, the memory, etc) is actually defective. It is more likely to be a simple interface component, or a bad solder joint, or a broken trace, or even a loose or damaged pin - all things which should be fairly easy to repair.

If you get a chance, post a picture of the inside of the ECM. I'd like to see it myself.

BTW, I don't believe you mentioned what the original operational problem was that caused you to take the MPV in for repairs. What was it?
joeljoel1947

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove Engine Control Module from 2001 MPV? Reply with quote

My symptoms were fairly classic. Except that they usually lead to a bad plug, wire, or coil pack. In my case all of the 3 things were replaced in advance, when the syptoms were still there (check engine light on and rough idle with VERY little power ((cylinders 2 and 6 are dead)).

The local place I dealt with said they had no clue. If it wasnt't the plugs, wire, or coil pack (all 3 they did) then it was going to be difficult to diagnose.

So I took it to Mazda for a $99 diagnostic. $250 later, I got the car back.

They said FOR SURE it was the coil pack. I told them it was replaced and that that wasn't the case. They said that it was. For $350 they said the car would be GOOD AS NEW when they replaced that!

HA HA! Not so lucky. As the local garage guy I got all the work done at said that the coil pack was A-OK. Mazda felt bad with the mis-diagnosis (they later agreed with my local shop as the coil was fine and they traced the issue back to the ECM) and "only" charged me $250 and the $250 would be put towards the cost of a NEW computer ($900 plus $250 install) so I was looking at $900 total here.

Weather or not I come out ahead or not of the $1150 Mazda game remains to be seen!! My ECM is shipped out tomorrow! I'm hopeful that for $340 total, incl. shipping I can plug and play and be back driving!!
scross
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: How to remove Engine Control Module from 2001 MPV? Reply with quote

Let us know the final outcome!
Jipster
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: How to remove Engine Control Module from 2001 MPV? Reply with quote

Is the ECM the same thing as the PCM? How would they be different?
2004 MPV LX (Plus Pkg, Traction and Airbag Pkg, All Sport Pkg, Roof Rack, 108k miles) Cosmic Sand
1999 Buick Regal LS (Leather Pkg, auto climate control,alloys, 124,000 miles) Desert Sand
scross
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: How to remove Engine Control Module from 2001 MPV? Reply with quote

They are the same. However the TCM (Transmission Control Module) is a different animal - basically a separate little computer just for managing the automatic transmission.

Actually, Wikipedia (the ultimate source of knowledge and truth!) says that a PCM typically combines the functions of an ECM and a TCM.
joeljoel1947

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove Engine Control Module from 2001 MPV? Reply with quote

The saga continues.........

Going on 3 weeks without a car.........

AES could not repair my existing computer.
So they sold me a refurbbed computer for $100 more ($450 total w/shipping)
Took 9 days to finally get it.
Repair shop plugs it in--------nothing. Wont crank over.

Tow the car to Mazda again.
Mazda cannot flash the used computer.
They claim "the computer that came with you car had a one to one relationship with the immobilizer in the vehicle. you either need to get the immobilizer that came with this used computer they sold you out of that vehicle or you need to buy a BRAND NEW FACTORY MAZDA COMPUTER FROM US FOR $900 and we can get that going and programmed one to one with your existing immobilizer in the vehicle."

Unbelievable.

Called AES to tell them the above and they say Mazda are idiots and that they will call to tell them how to do it. But wait. I'ts Friday at 4:55pm and we are going home and Mazda is going home too so we'll sort this all out on Monday with them. 2 more days without a car...............
scross
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove Engine Control Module from 2001 MPV? Reply with quote

You know, immobilizers, anti-theft codes, security keys, and all of that, seem to me to be more trouble than they are worth. These tend to come back and bite the owners in the butt, rather than providing the service they were intended to. My poor mother spent months dealing with a intermittent no-start problem on her car before she bothered to pay any attention to the SECURITY light that kept flashing on the dashboard, indicating a problem with her ignition key. I've suggested to her that the next car she gets NOT have anything fancy like that.

I really wouldn't believe a thing Mazda told me at this point. Sorry for your troubles. Hope things work out for you soon. Keep us in the loop!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: