MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Hood mounted bug deflector recommendation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mpvclub65170
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Hood mounted bug deflector recommendation Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend a hood bug deflector that doesnt require drilling holes into the hood to mount?

I ordered a deflector (GTO I think) from Andy's autosport but when i went to install it, neither of the 2 holes in the deflector lined up with any existing holes in the hood.

Ed

20181030_132759-1024x576.jpg

20181030_132759-1024x576.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 42 time(s)

vincentkou98

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Hood mounted bug deflector recommendation Reply with quote

Im using a GTS profile V (I trimmed mine to make it lower) but I'm pretty sure all hood deflectors require drilling holes and either way I would rather drill two holes than to have a deflector somehow fly off on the highway.

You can also put a rivnut instead if you just don't like the way the screws look.

If you're really set on no holes you can use 3M red double side tape, I mounted my spoiler on my MPV that way and it would NOT come off what so ever

1997 Mazda MPV 4WD (Towing Package)
Black & Silver 2 Tone / 4 Channel Amp (Components & Coaxials) / Sound Deadened Front to Back / 55W HID Bi-xenon Projector Retrofit/ Front, Side, OEM Rear Wind Deflectors / NOS Mud Guards / Aluminum Cluster Rings / Running 235/70/15s
1997 Mazda MPV 2WD
Black & Silver 2 Tone / Sound Deadened Doors
mpvclub65170
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Hood mounted bug deflector recommendation Reply with quote

vincentkou98 wrote:
You can also put a rivnut instead if you just don't like the way the screws look.

If you're really set on no holes you can use 3M red double side tape, I mounted my spoiler on my MPV that way and it would NOT come off what so ever

Good idea with the VHT tape. I may use that on the bottom side instead of drilling holes.

Thanks!

Ed
vincentkou98

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: Hood mounted bug deflector recommendation Reply with quote

So how did mounting the deflector go?
Black & Silver 2 Tone / 4 Channel Amp (Components & Coaxials) / Sound Deadened Front to Back / 55W HID Bi-xenon Projector Retrofit/ Front, Side, OEM Rear Wind Deflectors / NOS Mud Guards / Aluminum Cluster Rings / Running 235/70/15s
1997 Mazda MPV 2WD
mpvclub65170
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Hood mounted bug deflector recommendation Reply with quote

I'm looking for another deflector that doesnt require drilling holes.
Ed
vincentkou98

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Hood mounted bug deflector recommendation Reply with quote

Keep in mind, if mounting with VHB tape, I found that every time I wash my car I have to take off the deflector in order to get the area in front of the hood.

If you do find one that does not require holes, please share with us lol

1997 Mazda MPV 2WD

Last edited by vincentkou98 on Yesterday, 5:04 am; edited 1 time in total
mpvclub65170
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Hood mounted bug deflector recommendation Reply with quote

Maybe I can make an adapter plate from ABS that runs the width of the hood and has riv nuts in the middle for the deflector to mount to and holes that line up with the existing holes on either side of the grill bump in the hood held in place with plastic panel nuts or something.
Ed
vincentkou98

PostPosted: Yesterday, 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Hood mounted bug deflector recommendation Reply with quote

I can see an ABS plate across the front edge of the hood working but plastic panel nuts may or may not be strong enough to hold it securely.

Maybe use 3M VHB to mount the adapter plate with two pressed in nuts for the deflector mounting holes?

Rivnuts can't be used on the mounting plate since they need a lot of clearance in the back

1997 Mazda MPV 2WD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 89-98 MPV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: