MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Front Heater-no warmth
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sea&xc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Front Heater-no warmth Reply with quote

What's the best route to diagnosing this problem?
Searching through the site have revealed mostly Rear AC/Heat issues.

The front heater isn't producing heat. Fan and AC work fine.
Rear heater and AC work fine.
Fuse is good.
I've had no issues up to now with the heater.

Yesterday we had a cool and rainy day which made me turn the heat on. Only cool/ambient air came throught the vents. I've tried all levels of fan/heat. I had been driving for approx 1 hr so the engine was plenty warm.

Also I had the 100k service done by the dealer about 2 weeks back. I specifically asked about the Rear Heater recall. (Dealer said my PV wasn't covered and I need to talk to Mazda, story for another time)
So I wonder if the tech my have screwed with the front heater then?

Again fuse is good, coolant is good what else should I check before I get on the dealer's bum?

Thanks

03 Black LX 4Seasons, Roof Rack, Pdoors, Hitch
98 v70 AWD
nls
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Front Heater-no warmth Reply with quote

Mine is a 2000, but I believe that later models have valves on the coolant lines, separately for the front and rear. If that is the case, you might want to check whether the front valve somehow got turned off.
sea&xc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Heater-no warmth Reply with quote

A quick look under the hood and I've found 2 valves but I believe they are for AC. One was back against the firewall and the other was up front near the coolant reservoir.

Following the lines around the engine I've yet to ID a valve or manifold that might fix it. I haven't gotten under the front to see if the lines wrap around to the lower rear of the engine yet.

Anybody else have ideas while I'm searching?

Ryan

98 v70 AWD
sea&xc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Heater-no warmth Fixed Reply with quote

Found the valve and it solved my issue.

Located high on the firewall and biased right from center.

Down is open (allows heat to the front controls) shown.

Dealer tech must have switched the position and never fixed it.
Thanks NLS for the tip.

98 v70 AWD

Front heater valve switch
6-04-07 005.jpg

6-04-07 005.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 7324 time(s)

2003MPV-LX
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Front Heater-no warmth Reply with quote

Wow, guess if that happens to me, I'll have to check that out. Wonder if it got bumped by accident.

2003 MPV LX, Emerald Mica, Rear Spoiler, Auto-Exe Grill, Fog Lights, hitch, Concept DVD w/twin headrest mounted 7" monitors, K&N, visors, splash guards, LIMO tinting on all rear windows. silverstars. Mama's Zoom-Zoom
Gig2005

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Heater-no warmth Reply with quote

I have problems with heat as well. In winter when it's -20C it takes quite a long time for the warm air to come through the vents. Last fall I had rear heater pipes replaced by a Mazda dealer (recall), but I have no heat in the back. Took the van to the dealer recently. They charged me for diagnostics and said that a further investigation is needed. They suspect air in the system.

I have MPV 2002. I'm wondering if there are valves hidden somewhere. I tried to locate them but I didn't find anything.
creed205

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Heater-no warmth Fixed Reply with quote

sea&xc wrote:
Found the valve and it solved my issue.

Located high on the firewall and biased right from center.

Down is open (allows heat to the front controls) shown.

Dealer tech must have switched the position and never fixed it.
Thanks NLS for the tip.

WOW! I have been a member here for a while and done a lot of research when I have had my troubles in the past. Never has a solution been so easy to find and bang on the money. Thanks to everyone!

Thanks,
Marcus
---------------
Current Cars:
2003 Mazda MPV DX - Black, Convenience Package, Tinted Windows, Hitch

Old Cars:
1995 Pontiac Grand 'Am
1994 Chevy Cavalier
1990 Mazda 626 SE
Gebco
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Heater-no warmth Reply with quote

Wow! Is Montréal so cold that you had to use your heat already? The weather here has been lousy too, but not that bad. . .
15 Town and Country
08 Town and Country Limited 180 000 km - Sold
02 MPV ES Midnight Blue 125 000 km - Sold
05 Kia Amanti - aka Old Man Car 68 000 km
96 VW Jetta GL 5 Speed Dark Green 105000 km - Sold

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Bob and Doug McKenzie
Mr_MVP

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Front Heater-no warmth Reply with quote

Thanks sea&xc! This solved my issue too. It was real simple and I look like a star to my wife!

Perhaps the dealer turned it off when they fixed my faulty water pump and a vacuum hose? (see http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?p=191085#191085 )

This probably saved me a couple of hundred bucks diagnosis and spurios charges.. God Bless MPVClub.com!
iggyES
MPV n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Front Heater-no warmth Reply with quote

Woot! Just did a flip of the valve myself after no heat on the ride home from the in-laws last night and a quick search here.

I am guessing that when my mechanic changed out my PCV hose he inadvertenly hit it and I am just now noticing as last night was the first time we have tried the heat this season.

Sadly one of my first thoughts was how many shady mechanics would charge someone a diagnostic check along with a min. of one hours labor to flip this valve?

2004 Titanium Grey Metallic ES
-Silverstar turn signals in front + chrome turn signals in back = no more egg yolk effect
-JDM (ebay) rain visors
-Blue Batmobile custom vinyl overlays
-215/65/16 Kumho KW22's on 16x7 MB Seven X wheels for winter use

grayMPV

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Front Heater-no warmth Reply with quote

I just found this forum as I searched for the heater problem with my new (to me) 2005 MPV. I also wanted to say thank you to sea&xc since you were right on--problem solved. The picture was great too, very much appreciated.

Now that I've found the forum I'll be back.
sk8nmom

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Heater-no warmth Reply with quote

My brother is a mechanic, although he's out of work now. He showed me the little switch to get my heat back before I saw it on here, but I'm so thankful that if I hadn't had him to help me I could have found the solution here!
donizard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Front Heater-no warmth Reply with quote

I had to have a OIL leak on the rear valve cover repaired for over $400.
On the way home - had NO heat !! Took it back - TECH checked the coolant level - but never checked the valve - STILL no heat.
SO - I read this post - check the switch with is 3/4 UP - switched to DOWN
and warm as TOAST . . .

NOW ? - should there be a screen on the open area above the valves?
I see two bolts sticking out - with NOTHING attached ?

Thanks to ALL - I loved my 2004 - never had a problem - bought the 2006 to have the last in the line - what a mistake !!!! Antilock brake problems after a wheel bearing went bad - and annual check engine !
ONLY 34,500 miles !!
rajulshah

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Heater-no warmth Reply with quote

P e r f e c t!

I took my van in to replace the O2 sensor (bank 1 sensor 1) and noticed the lack of warmth from the front heater the next morning. I checked the fuse it was fine. Then wondered if the O2 sensor was faulty and had anything to do with it.

The picture here was priceless. Took me no time to find the valve and so happy to see it in the wrong position. I half suspect the switch was thrown up on purpose so I would come back and pay the garage another couple of hundred bucks to replace the heater core, etc. etc.

Thanks everyone!

Rajul
netdesign_98

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Heater-no warmth Reply with quote

Thank you sea&xc. You save me $.
It is the same story. Took the car in a few months back (summer) to the dealer for rough idle. Yes it is the PVC collapse. Cost me $.. beside the PVC house, change spark plug, filter........
And now the weather is cold, found out no heat in the cabin...
Yes the switch is up.....
Put it down and now heat is back...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: