MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Timing Belt Death Blow!! Never give up never surrender!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bed7526

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Timing Belt Death Blow!! Never give up never surrender!! Reply with quote

I do not want to pronounce my '97 140k MPV as dead. Yesterday I was returning home to Houston from Destin Florida and engine died at 75 MPH 3K RPM. I coasted what seemed like a mile to a gas station just off the highway and ended up renting a uHaul and towed my MPV, myself and my 3 boys home.

Engine spins with starter and spins faster that normal but does not catch and start up. Mechanic wants $500 to replace timing belt and warns me that that may not be all of it. Possible bent valves once money is spent.

Is there anything I can do to check? Did my belt skip? Hind sight, have 140K and now I believe in changing timing belts as a maintenance item!!

MPV looks great, has a new rear end, new valve covers gaskets, floor mats. Will do some of this myself to make sure it is dead. Will entertain swapping engine. Pic attached.

97 MPV White/Gray All Sport 172k+
2002 LE Corolla

2002 Blue Seinna (totaled Son OK)
2001 Toyota Corrolla Sport Engine died sold

Father's Day Weekend 2006
MPV0606.JPG

MPV0606.JPG - File downloaded or viewed 10354 time(s)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Death Blow!! Never give up never surrender! Reply with quote

Check out this thread for some reassurance that it's ok when the timing belt gives way: http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?p=113158#113158

$500 isn't bad for the job of replacing the timing belt. Should also do the water pump at this time too, plus the radiator hoses and idlers and tensioner. If you're a DIYer, the timing belt job is doable, even with a little trickiness to get the cams lined up just right.

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()
genwheeler
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Death Blow!! Never give up never surrender! Reply with quote

The MPV's has a non-interference engine so you should be okay.
500.00 to keep that baby going would be well worth it! Very Happy

91 MPV -- Gone but not forgotten.
04 Volvo V70
99 Mitsubishi Montero Sport
bed7526

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Death Blow!! Never give up never surrender! Reply with quote

Please tell me you have your facts right. The mechanic tells me this is an interferance engine. I was ready to right it off!! Where can I confirm this and show the mechanic.

Thanks GenWheeler you have let me sleep better tonight.

I'm a DIYer but this is my primary car. I'm a single Dad and already have another project waiting for my. A 1973 Opel GT, she needs a lot of work.

Very Happy Smile

97 MPV White/Gray All Sport 172k+
2002 LE Corolla

2002 Blue Seinna (totaled Son OK)
2001 Toyota Corrolla Sport Engine died sold
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Death Blow!! Never give up never surrender! Reply with quote

Member Gen1Hawaii is a well respected DIY on the board, he confirms it is NOT an interference engine: http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?p=64508#64508

-Brian

genwheeler
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Death Blow!! Never give up never surrender! Reply with quote

Tell your mechanic to check again.

Here's a link to engine types-- the ones with the asterisk are non-interference.

Good luck!

http://www.lambsauto.com/belts.htm

04 Volvo V70
duckbill

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Death Blow!! Never give up never surrender! Reply with quote

Some of the Timing Belt manufactures such as Gates and NAPA list the 3.0 Mazda engine as an interference design which is in error. I personally talked to a Mazda engineer at Mazda HQ in 2004 after I burned up a timing belt going 70 mph (no noise). I was told it's close, but it's a non-interference engine unless the heads have been milled during a rebuild. For me an idler pulley that felt good at 140,000 failed 35,000 miles later on my 89 V6. My research on the net confirmed that failure as pretty common as many idler and tensioners give up after 150,000 miles. A new OEM hydraulic tensioner would also be a good idea. Make sure your mechanic has done an MPV before or you may run into some difficulty and unneeded expense. The dead give away was when your mechanic said it was an interference engine. Big error there; be careful who does your work. For a long story on blowing a timing belt on Dec 25th and unbelievable problems you might want to read my first post. I would have saved myself a lot of grief had I posted earlier and asked some advice from this very excellent Forum. Good luck. Wink
b1gdaddypm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Death Blow!! Never give up never surrender! Reply with quote

Ok I am no mechanic and I'd never even heard on an interference engine before but this discussion got me curious, googled it and found this article that includes the MPV as having an interference engine http://www.forparts.com/ICtimingbeltreplacement01.htm

Now I have a 98 Allsport, bought it used with 40,000 miles and it now has about 124,000 and I've never had the timing belt replaced. Is there some documentation as to whether the engine is an interference one or not?

BTW-I still love this forum. Everyone here is great!
jp88
MPVClub Resident
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Death Blow!! Never give up never surrender! Reply with quote

It is NON-Interference, period, end of conversation.
A quote of $500 I'm sure does not include all the tensioners, water pump and pulley's, since the mechanic in question thinks it's an interference engine, he has no expert knowledge of MPV engines.

I got the parts from Cush Mazda and did the repair myself with no special tools, only determination and confidence. Cost you about $300 in parts and 4-6 hours. You CAN DO it!

Please do a SEARCH for detailed, step by step instructions. You will thank us.

Did I mention the MPV's are NON- Iterference?Huh?
edrubins
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Death Blow!! Never give up never surrender! Reply with quote

bed7526 - your mechanic is wrong. Unless the head was milled at some point, breaking a timing belt, even at highways speeds, will not damage the engine.

Whether you or your mechanic does the job make sure that in addition to the belt all three tensioner pullies and the hydrolic tensioner are replaced, and that they are replaced with genuine Mazda parts. Aftermarket parts have a history of early failure. Replacing the water pump while it's apart is also highly recommended. For $500 he may only be replacing the belt.

If your mechanic will let you supply the parts, or if you decide to do it yourself (many of us, myself included, have,) I have the Mazda belt, pullies and tensioner - all brand new. I was going to replace the belt in my '96 4WD, but I will probably sell it instead. PM me if you can use them and maybe we can work somthing out.

Whatever you decide, get it fixed. Good luck, and let us know what you decide and how you make out.

2006 Explorer XLT
96 MPV Deerslayer. (Still for sale)
Mikem
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Death Blow!! Never give up never surrender! Reply with quote

bed7526
You are getting a full earfull of advice and all of it is 100 % right. I hate to repeat all of this help from super guys but I will............. Big Laugh
Your mech. is low on the price or he isn't replacing anything but the belt and maybe the pump. The hydraulic tensioner replacement is a must with OEM. & the idlers for peace of mind. Failure to replace the HT is going to take you down again. More Bucks and time.
You need a rental car because your going to be down probably another 4/5 days. This cost is a trade off, its cheaper than the Mechanic.
Read the front post on how to change the belt and call
Ed rubins and get all the parts he has stocked up, its a generous offer.
Since you are able to wrench, its a diy job. one day, and you have sons of help. Laughing
There are a few other members in Houston, hope someone there will respond. Good Luck Bud..........

95MPVsailor
genwheeler
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Death Blow!! Never give up never surrender! Reply with quote

b1gdaddypm wrote:
Ok I am no mechanic and I'd never even heard on an interference engine before but this discussion got me curious, googled it and found this article that includes the MPV as having an interference engine http://www.forparts.com/ICtimingbeltreplacement01.htm

Now I have a 98 Allsport, bought it used with 40,000 miles and it now has about 124,000 and I've never had the timing belt replaced. Is there some documentation as to whether the engine is an interference one or not?

Blatantly wrong about the MPV. Incredible. Check the link I gave in my prior post -- it's right.

Mikem's right -- it is a a job you can do yourself considerably cheaper than what you would be charged. This forum has some great past posts on the timing belt with pics and everything and there are enough guys here who have done it to help with questions.

04 Volvo V70
ou812
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Death Blow!! Never give up never surrender! Reply with quote

It's a NON-interference engine! If you do the job, you really should do everything (idlers x2, tensioner idler, tensioner,bushing/spacer,water pump,top and bottom hoses, and if there are any oil leaks at the cam seals, them also).
If I were you, I would jump on the parts Ed has. (they are Mazda OEM, with Mazda waranty, If he got the from Cush Mazda) For any other parts needed, you can get them from Mark @ Cush Mazda. (Tel. (760) 737-3200 or direct, 3211, email, mcerv@unitedauto.com. These are Mazda dealer parts at non dealer prices. I just got a timing kit from him for just over $200 shipped. This is a job that I have gotten down to 2 1/2 hours (give or take) in and out. It shouldn't take much longer than 6 hours for a first time run. just make sure you have a steering wheel puller for the crank. The sticky at the beginning of the forum tells how it's done.

P.S. Ed, say it isn't so!!

'91 silver MPV (gone)
'94 white MPV (gone)
"I want my, I want my, I want my MPV"
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Death Blow!! Never give up never surrender! Reply with quote

Direct links to the 2 timing belt "sticky" topics in the 89-98 forum:

http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=9284

http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=11775

Hopefully we've reassured you and even convinced you to DIY on this. And your MPV does look good, btw.

-Brian

videodude

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Death Blow!! Never give up never surrender! Reply with quote

I'll add my 2 cents:

I did the timing belt on my '90 when I first got the MPV. The biggest problem was getting it all lined up. Gen1's post showing the big clamps on the sprockets was the secret to getting it right. Follow his instructions, and the job is a breeze.

One word of caution: Be VERY CAREFUL with the top idler bolt, make sure not to cross-thread it. It you follow Gen1's directions carefully, this shouldn't be a problem.

One word of advise: Replace all the idlers and pulleys. I didn't replace my tensioner, it only had 105K on it, but I will next time. With your mileage, I'd probably replace the tensioner as well, along with the water pump. Cheap insurance.

Good luck!

Video
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 89-98 MPV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: