MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Going to replace starter
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
98MPVRED

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Going to replace starter Reply with quote

Peeps,
I'm going to replace starter motor. I have the thread from Gen1. Have ordered this one on a 2 day Fedex. see attachment.
Any gotchas gratefully received. Wish me luck.

Starter.doc - 37.5 KB
File downloaded or viewed 12 time(s)

98MPVRED

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Going to replace starter Reply with quote

Peeps.
These are the instructions from Gen 1. Mine is RWD, I have a couple of questions:

1. Where is the best place for jackstands on the front?
2. The bolts that retain the starter are on the rearward side or the forward side of the vehicle?
3. It looks like I will need to buy a deep 12mm socket and 3/8 extension as mine are all 1/2 inch which may be too big to maneuver.

Anything else

Thanks

ALOHA & WELCOME RWB67-

REPLACING THE STARTER REQUIRES ABOUT 1 HOUR FOR THE FIRST-TIMER.

1. PLACE FRONT OF MPV ON JACKSTANDS.
2. REMOVE NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE TERMINAL FROM BATTERY.
3. REMOVE PLASTIC SPLASH PANEL FROM UNDER VEHICLE/ENGINE.
4. REMOVE THE "3" 14MM BOLTS MOUNTING THE STARTER. THESE BOLTS ARE TIGHT. A BREAKER BAR WITH A SHORT PIPE HELPS.
5. SLIDE STARTER TOWARDS THE FRONT OF THE MPV AND TILT FORWARD.
6. SQUEEZE THE CONNECTOR ON THE THIN STARTER WIRE TO REMOVE.
7. WITH A LONG 12MM SOCKET, AND A LONG 3/8" EXTENSION REMOVE THE FAT STARTER-BATTERY CABLE.
8. SLIDE THE STARTER OUT. IT BARELY FITS BETWEEN THE PS PUMP AND THE FRAME- BUT IT DOES FIT ENOUGH TO SLIDE OUT.
9. REVERSE PROCEDURES.

SEE- IT'S NOT THAT BAD. IF YOU DONT FIX THE OIL LEAKS YOUR STARTER WILL FAIL AGAIN- BUT REMOVING THE STARTER IS ALWAYS EASIER THE 2ND TIME.
poptop
MPVClub Resident
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Going to replace starter Reply with quote

It has been awhile since I did any under the car work, but I kind of remember jacking the car up with a floor jack at the same place you would use to change a flat and put the jack stands under the frame rail next to that point. Mine is a 4x4 and I had to remove the power steering pulley and here my memory is very vague, I might have removed its mounting bracket bolted to the engine to get my starter out. Might be a good time to replace that water hose that goes from right above the starter up to the firewall. Mounting bolts accessed from the bell housing side. Mine had the negative battery cable bolted to one of the starter bolts. Good luck
1990 4X4 V-6 5-speed
1991 2WD V-6
1994 2WD V-6
Scion Xb
A pile of old timing belts
98MPVRED

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Going to replace starter Reply with quote

Thanks Poptop. Also I've moved my conversation on this to the Jack Stands thread.
Glad to see you ares still on the site. There must be a dwindling group of 'brain trustees' now. I was wondering if anyone would respond as I'd posted a couple of days ago and nothing came back.

Thanks!
98MPVRED

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Going to replace starter Reply with quote

She's up and running. It was an easier job than I thought, but that is likely down to the tips on this site! Thanks also to Ed, Vincent and PopTop. These are my thoughts if attempting this (2WD)

Definitely get a 3/16 set of wobble extensions.The starter bolts are in there tight. Thank you Ed.
Consider a 1/4 drive deep 12mm socket for the Live 12 V wire removal. I did it with standard length socket but it was tricky.
The solenoid wire is released by pressing down on the top of the plastic wire shroud. You can't just pull it off the spade terminal.
The protective rubber bulb covering the 12V Live terminal fell in half. I've tried silicone adhesive to hold it together, not sure if that will hold up.

I got a Denso rebuilt from Rock Auto and it was an exact perfect replacement.

Keep Calm and Wobble On!
vincentkou98

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Going to replace starter Reply with quote

Glad it went smoothly for you
That keeps another MPV on the streets!

1997 Mazda MPV 4WD (Towing Package)
Black & Silver 2 Tone / 4 Channel Amp (Components & Coaxials) / Sound Deadened Front to Back / 55W HID Bi-xenon Projector Retrofit/ Front, Side, OEM Rear Wind Deflectors / NOS Mud Guards / Aluminum Cluster Rings / Running 235/70/15s
1997 Mazda MPV 2WD
Black & Silver 2 Tone / Sound Deadened Doors
mpvclub65170
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Going to replace starter Reply with quote

Excellent!
Ed
idahocity

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Going to replace starter Reply with quote

nice. i have a 4wd. it was a pain. i had to remove alternator, it's bracket, the belts. took me a while. then, 2 weeks after the coolant hose above it gave out completely, huge hole. if it happened the day before it would have left me stranded 150 miles from home.
love my 1997 allsport mpv 145.xxx, 2nd owner, green
if subaru made a van for the u.s. this would be it, simple, durable, 4wd, a little underpowered and nice looking
manitoba mpv 2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Going to replace starter Reply with quote

I replaced the starter on our '97 RWD MPV back in 2011. It was challenging, and I understand that the 4WD version is that much more so.
Many Mazdas over the years, including two 1st-gen MPVs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 89-98 MPV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: