MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Shift Kit for '91?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shaggy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Shift Kit for '91? Reply with quote

Is there a shift kit available for the 1991 MPV, 4x4, 3.0 for the tranny? I use my truck to tow small boats and light trailers, but the shifting feels too soft. I would like to protect the tranny as much as possible.
vincentkou98

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Kit for '91? Reply with quote

Should be fine as long as you stay within the towing abilities of the car no?

I'd say you have nothing to worry about if you stay within the limits, after all they designed it that way lol.

If you're really dead on getting a shift kit, rock auto sells them

1997 Mazda MPV 4WD (Towing Package)
Black & Silver 2 Tone / 4 Channel Amp (Components & Coaxials) / Sound Deadened Front to Back / 55W HID Bi-xenon Projector Retrofit/ Front, Side, OEM Rear Wind Deflectors / NOS Mud Guards / Aluminum Cluster Rings / Running 235/70/15s
1997 Mazda MPV 2WD
Black & Silver 2 Tone / Sound Deadened Doors
Shaggy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Kit for '91? Reply with quote

vincentkou98 wrote:
Should be fine as long as you stay within the towing abilities of the car no?

I'd say you have nothing to worry about if you stay within the limits, after all they designed it that way lol.

If you're really dead on getting a shift kit, rock auto sells them

With ALL of the problems people have with these trannys, a shift kit will not hurt. Just too soft of a shift.
vincentkou98

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Shift Kit for '91? Reply with quote

Do as you please with the shift kit.

Never heard anyone have tranny problems on an 96+ MPV, can't say for you 95- owners

Are you going to do the shift kit yourself? if so you might as well do a complete transmission rebuild if its already out.

Black & Silver 2 Tone / 4 Channel Amp (Components & Coaxials) / Sound Deadened Front to Back / 55W HID Bi-xenon Projector Retrofit/ Front, Side, OEM Rear Wind Deflectors / NOS Mud Guards / Aluminum Cluster Rings / Running 235/70/15s
1997 Mazda MPV 2WD
mpvclub65170
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Kit for '91? Reply with quote

Transmaxx has a couple kits on RockAuto.

It appears that the kit involves upgrades/changes to the valve body which can be removed without pulling the whole tranny. According to description it improves line pressure and firms up shifts.

I ordered one for my 97 to hopefully address an issue of not shifting into drive when cold but I haven't installed it yet.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/mazda,1991,mpv,3.0l+v6,1191114,transmission-automatic,shift+improvement+kit,8532

Ed
Shaggy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Kit for '91? Reply with quote

And..... The trans dropped out. Overheated, lost overdrive, then 3rd. Stopped, lost 1st then rev. Got a couple local shops looking into new or used good trans. Oh well!
vincentkou98

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Shift Kit for '91? Reply with quote

I think a while back someone had a NOS tranny for the gen 1 mpv, look it up should still be there

Last time I saw it, was a good deal

Edit: Here's the link
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GENUINE-Automatic-Transmission-OEM-For-1989-1992-Mazda-MPV/182707461888?epid=2163417873&hash=item2a8a369f00:g:s6QAAOSwl5pZiLY~:rk:12:pf:0

The price is 1000$ which if you ask me, I'd pay for a new dealership trans than try to put that 1000$ into a rebuild since we all know rebuilds don't usually last very long

1997 Mazda MPV 2WD
jokiin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Kit for '91? Reply with quote

find a good transmission shop and it can be beefed up, I had mine done in a '93 MPV, the trans is a Jatco which is the same trans across a whole bunch of Japanese models, Nissan Patrol etc, I had heavier clutches, needle rollers etc put in mine, was very good afterwards
vincentkou98

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Kit for '91? Reply with quote

IIRC when I researched this was that the MPV comes with a more heavy duty version than in the Nissan's with a medium grade hence pathfinders are known to have much more transmission failures than the MPV

That does sounds like a really good idea from jokiin but you have to find a really good trans shop to do such a thing

1997 Mazda MPV 2WD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 89-98 MPV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: