MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Road trip reports
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Driving Fun and Road Trips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 9:04 am    Post subject: Road trip reports Reply with quote

A number of members are taking vacations this summer in their MPVs (in fact I think some are gone as I write this which may be why the board has been so quiet the past few days!) and I thought it would be fun to have a thread specifically for telling about your trip. Fun things or not so fun things that happened, how well your MPV performed, etc. Hope we hear some interesting stories!!
[b:a970de293f]Dan[/b:a970de293f]
2001 Rainforest Green LX (164,795 miles)--Minnie (The vacationator)
2006 Honda Civic EX with NAVI and 5sp MT (102,338 miles, new block at 89K) (Dan's daily driver)--Blue Car

Last edited by Dan on Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 9:22 am    Post subject: Re:Road trip reports Reply with quote

If I am going to ask for trip reports I should put my own in.

Went from Milwaukee, WI suburbs to Pensacola/Gulf Shores area on 7/19-20. Came back a week later. Covered 2256 miles total and used 98.231 gallons of gasoline for a 22.97 mpg average. Worst tankful gave me 21.4 mpg (involved the most non-interstate driving) and the best tank was 25.1 mpg (had a great tailwind on the interstate). Note we did not have a cargo box on top of the van. When we did essentially the same trip in April (no box on top then either) we got 23.21 mpg.

Best price we found for gas was Franklin, KY at $1.159. Worst price was at home (sigh) at $1.499. &*%$ boutique fuels.

Only worrisome moment was when a good sized stone flew up from a Tahoe (or Yukon? I forget now) that was six or eight car lengths ahead on the Tri-state tollway around Chicago. Fortunately, I think the wiper blades took the brunt of the hit. It was fairly loud. Could not find any damage when I inspected later. The stone rode along on the wiper blade for ten or fifteen miles, but finally blew off on a curve. Otherwise I would have kept it for a souvineer if it had stayed with the car until we stopped.

Left the backseat in the 'seating' position so my wife could sleep at night while I drove. It worked pretty well, but did cramp us for luggage space (we were headed to the beach and had lots of toys) but we managed OK.

Anyhow, we had a good trip, good weather, good visit with my wife's parents.

2006 Honda Civic EX with NAVI and 5sp MT (102,338 miles, new block at 89K) (Dan's daily driver)--Blue Car
Alex

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re:Road trip reports Reply with quote

Ok, it's time to share our experiences from our last trip: Ottawa - Prince Edward Island - Ottawa. We went with our friends. We took our MPV (my wife, me, and our 6 y.o. daughter). The friends (also three of them) were in 98 Intrepid. Packed the cars to the roof-tops for a week-long camping trip.

We left on evening of Friday, July 26th and went through Montreal and set camp for the first night near Trois-Revieres (midway from Montreal to Quebec City). It was raining that night, so the weather wasn't perfect for camping in tents but we managed. The very next day we went to Canadian Tire and bought two large (6 person) tents to replace our smallish 3 person ones. It was sure not very nice to sleep in a small tent on a rainy night.

Next day we wanted to go as far as Tadoussac and take a ferry but we took our time visiting places like Mont-Ste-Anne Canyon (near Beaupr) so we were only able to reach La Malbaie where we stayed overnight. I must tell that the mountains are beautiful there. Quite a few steep hills (10-12%) and MPV was under no major stress climbing them while accelerating and passing other cars Smile

On Sunday, July 28th we crossed Saguenay river at Tadoussac by a ferry. We visited the famous sand dunes there. It was very foggy. Thick fog from St.Lawrence river covered pretty much everything. But it was still fun to climb the dunes as well as walk on the banks of the river. Then we continued to Forestville where we wanted to take a ferry across St.Lawrence river. We didn't make any reservations because we didn't have any strict plans, but there was no room on the ferry and the best we could do was to make a reservation on a ferry between Baie-Comeau and Matane for the next day (the soonest they had). So we stayed the next night camping at Baie-Comeau. The whole day was rather foggy. It's wasn't hot eigher. Somewhere around 20­°C, we wished it were warmer but still were hoping it will be better when we get to the ocean.

Next day we took the ferry across the river which took about 3.5 hours to cross. It was fun initially but then turned out to be quite boring. Thick fog hid pretty much everything around the ship, so the only thing that kept us all busy was some table games which we played and kids were happy (as were their parents Wink). After we arrived in Matane, we went south to the Quebec-New Brunswick border. The mountains in New Brunswick were even more beautiful with nice forests. However it started to rain and the road was quite soggy.

We arrived in Campbellton around 8 pm and decided to find a camp site. We forgot that it was 9 pm in New Brunswick (different time zone). Even though we found a really nice place called Sugarloaf (very nice campground, the best for the whole trip, highly recommended), we were unable to buy firewood because it was too late. We had fair share of adventure trying to find the firewood in the town first, then at least some axe and woodsaw (in nearby malls) to get some wood in the forest. It was raining, so not the best experiences, but once the campfire was lit, and beer open, life became much brighter Smile

On Tuesday, July 30th we went straight to the beaches of New Brunswick. We went through Bathurst, Newcastle and stopped in Shediac, as they call it, "the lobster capital of the world". We definitely had to do some lobster eating there which we did successfully. We stayed in Shediac for two nights (and days). Wanted to camp next to the Parlee beach but the place was completely packed so we stayed nearby at a campground called "Sandy beach". Fortunately it hadn't been raining for two days so we had some chance to wet our feet in the ocean. It wasn't very hot either though (around 25°C I guess).

On Wednesday we went to Bay of Fundy's Cape Hopewell to see the famous rocks and tides. Then we retuned to the beach where our tents were.

On Thrusday we went to Price Edward Island and stayed in Cavendish near Green Gables. Next day in the morning after visiting some museums we were soaking sun on a white sand beach, but it was windy and quite cool (22°C). However when the sun shines it was OK lying down on the sand. Big waves made us all have some fun (trying to jump through them). In the afternoon we went to Cape Egmont on the other side of the island to see the Bottle House.

Finally we returned to the main land and camped near Moncton. The very next day (Saturday, Aug 3rd) we went straight home. 1,200 km in 12 hours and we were back at approximately 11 pm.

That's our trip briefly. Of course we had much more stuff done. Our daughter turned 6 on Aug 1st, so we had some party on the beach. Overall, we are very pleased with the trip. MPV did very well, and we were much happier with it than our fiends were with their Intrepid. We could get pretty much anything from the car, while they had to remove all the bags in order to dig something out from the trunk. Not saying that MPV has much more room when the 3rd seat is folded flat.

Another thing that I figured out is how much speed influences fuel consumption. I knew it before but never had a chance to actually measure it first hand. Most of the time in Quebec and New Brunswick we were driving on smaller roads with the speed limit of 80 or 90 km/h. Well, we were doing 90 - 100, as usual Smile Even in mountains, I was consistently getting over 23 mpg (10-11 L/100 km). However on our way back we were doing about 130, or even 140 km/h on some stretches and fuel consumption increased (getting closer to 20 mpg (~12 L/100 km)). So, if you want to get EPA fuel consumption, do not drive over speed limit...

We have driven a total of 3,440 km (~2,100 miles). 375L of gasoline burnt which gives an average of 10.87 L/100 km (21.64 mpg). The best mileage I got during the trip was 9.84L/100 km (23.91 mpg). The worst was 11.69 L/100 km (20.13 mpg). The longest distance traveled on a tankful was 546.1 km (339.4 miles) on 58.9L gasoline (15.56 gal).

Power was sufficient however on some occasions I wished I had 2002 MPV. In New Brunswick there are some two lane highways with opposite traffic which have additional passing lanes when going uphill. So, the only chance you can pass someone is when climbing a mountain. Which means the MPV has not only to keep a steady speed but accelerate quickly while going up. I floored it many times. I still managed to pass everyone I wanted but it wouldn't hurt to do it faster. Wink 2002 would definitely come in handy here. In other situations, 2000 MPV's power was more than adequate.

See attached the map with our trip route. The line in blue is our last day's 1200 km dash home. I will have some photos when I get the films developed.

Oh, and one more thing, there are so many MPVs on roads of Quebec and New Brunswick. It wasn't difficult at all to park at a shopping mall and give away 10 mpvclub.com flyers to the cars parked nearby right on the spot Smile. So, if any of the new club members from QC or NB were directed by a flyer, know that it is most likely my work Grin

route
route.gif

route.gif - File downloaded or viewed 1102 time(s)

attorney82

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re:Road trip reports Reply with quote

Hello Everyone.

We just returned from a trip from Chicago to New York City in my 2002 Silver LX. The total trip was 1,898 miles and the fuel consuption averaged 25.1 miles per gallon. This is an accurate figure because I keep good records and I was very happy with it. I had been averaging around 16 miles per gallon in town and had been disappointed with that. The van worked wonderfully and I really like how it operates.

We left Chicago on August 3 and took Interstate 80 most of the way to New York City. We stayed in Lamar, Pennsylvania on August 3 and stayed on Long Island on August 4 and August 5. We went to Jones Beach on Long Island on August 3 and took a tour of Manhatten on August 4.

We left New York City on August 5 and took Highway 17 across New York towards Niagara Falls. I had not found any good information on this highway but it was a good expressway most of the way. It was quite scenic and I am glad I chose that route rather than the one through Albany. We stayed in Binghampton, New York on August 6 and reached Niagara FAlls around noon on August 7. We toured the New York side on August 7 and took the Cave of the Winds tour and stayed on the New York side that night.

I had planned to enter Canada on August 8 but just a few blocks from the bridge, I thought I was in the wrong lane at an intersection and backed up to get in the other lane. Apparenty I was not paying attention because I backed into a car on my left side. I broke the mirror on the other car and most of the damage was to the MPV. The left rear panel was crushed, the tail light lens was broken and the side portion of the bumper was scraped. I felt very bad about it but the other driver and the policeman were very nice about it. We crossed into Canada and took the Maid of the Mist boat.

I had been thinking about taking one more day and going to Toronto but we were tired and I was upset about the van so we decided to return home yesterday, August 8. It was a long, fast trip leaving Niagara Falls about 1:00 in the afternoon, going by way of Windsor and Detroit and reaching Chicago about 11:00 last night. I did all of the driving yesterday and I was exhausted.

Today I went to a body shop and found it will cost around $1,500 if they straighten the old pieces which may not look like new. It may be as much as $3,000 if they replace the panel and the bumper. This is the first time I caused such a problem since I backed in to a pole in a parking lot 30 years ago. I will certaintly be more careful in the future.

I really liked travelling in Canada and admire all of you smart Canadians who have the intelligence to measure in meters, kilograms and liters. Some day the Americans will catch up with the rest of the world.

Cheers. Larry
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 9:42 am    Post subject: Re:Road trip reports Reply with quote

Took a weekend trip from the Milwaukee area up to a lake house in the Eagle River/Rhinelander area of northern Wisconsin about 250 miles away. An acquaintance of my wife let us have the house for a weekend. Had a good drive up there on Friday--just kind of puttered along and exploring backroads. This drive was memorable because our five year old, who probably has about 30,000 miles of road trips behind him uttered the words, "Are we there yet?" for the first time ever! I guess it is a milestone that had to come sooner or later! Wink

We had a good time over the weekend. We hiked, canoed, loafed, and fished. The 5 y.o. fished for the first time. We didn't catch anything, unless you count all the waterweeds he happily hauled in. And he also snagged his hat which was on his head at the time. Another highlight for him was the chance to sleep in a bunkbed (upper level, of course) for the very first time.

There was also a lot of wildlife. We saw plenty of deer, an eagle, a crane or heron, and a beaver or muskrat. And though we did not see any, we could hear loons in the evening.

Coming back Sunday afternoon we took the Interstate most of the way. Hit a terrific rainstorm (with a little hail and some strong winds) around Merrill, WI. Traffic which had been moving along at 80mph or so, slowed to about 35mph as visibility decreased dramatically. Lots of cars pulled over to wait it out. A number of motorcyclists who pulled over were quickly invited into stopped cars so the cyclists could get out of the torrents. Right before we drove out of the storm, the sun came out and there was a very pretty rainbow. Nature's strength and beauty all wrapped up in one package!

North of Madison, there was a traffic jam (a common occurance on summer Sundays as returning weekend vacationers clog the Interstate) so we opted to take a state highway instead. But the road we wanted was closed not too long after we turned on it, and the detour looked long and wasn't headed in exactly the way we wanted to go. So we started bushwhackin' on local roads. And then one of the local roads was closed with no warning! Rather than turn around and go back, we 'opened' the closed portion of the road for a moment and got through.

All in all we had a good weekend and the MPV drove and handled flawlessly.

Dennis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 9:58 am    Post subject: Re:Road trip reports Reply with quote

We made a quick trip from San Jose to LA this past weekend for my daughter's and grandson's birthday. Drove down Fri leaving about 11:00 and arrived at 5:30. Stayed at the Crowne Plaza-LAX for $92 for 2 nites using Hotwire. Of course, they nicked us for another $20 for 2 days of parking. Had a nice visit--it seems all we did was eat! Drove back Sun.

Our '01 MPV handled the trip beautifully, other than gas mileage. I checked it on the way back & we got 18.49 mpg for 370 miles. Of course, I was doing 75 - 85 mph on Interstate 5. Definitely can attest to the fact that speed does matter. However, had no trouble climbing the Grapevine into/out of LA. Also, I never felt tired with all that driving.

Dennis
2001 Rainforest Green ES
18,300 miles
97 Infiniti J-30 91,000 miles
Saratoga, CA
Dave
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 7:22 am    Post subject: Re:Road trip reports Reply with quote

Recently wrapped up a trip in the 2001 LX that took us from Durham, NC to Buffalo, NY, then Syracuse, NY and finally back to Durham.

I don't have the receipts in front of me, but we averaged about 18mpg. In the hills of WV mileage was worse. I also tend to dirve quickly, averaging about 78mph. This probably did not help mileage. Only in WV did I pine for the fjords - I mean the 2002 engine and tranny - otherwise the power of the 2001 was completely acceptable.

It was nice having the third seat with us for taking out family in our destination cities.

I was stopped for speeding once butt got off with a warning. I think that having the baby hollering in back helped.

In addition, this was the first long trip with the baby (8 months old at the time). She was excellent for the most part. Leaving at 04:00 was definitely a great tip. I was able to cover a couple of hundred miles before she was awake.

Next trip will be to Bergen County, NJ at Thanksgiving. Next year we may drive all the way to CO wow

Rich. Dark. Deeply satisfying.

My rides:
'01 MPV LX
'97 Mercury Grand Marquis SOLD
'08 Mazda CX-7 Touring - my first turbo! - SOLD 04/2016
'13 BMW 328i
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 10:29 am    Post subject: Re:Road trip reports Reply with quote

Took my 5 y.o. son for a quick three day camping/genealogy trip. We left the Milwaukee area Sunday and camped overnight at Mississippi Palisades S.P. near Savanna, IL. My son loved the bluffs and hiking up and down them (same kid who never has the energy to walk around the block at home Rolling Eyes ) and viewing the river.

Monday we drove to Lake Wapello S.P. in Davis County, IA (about 25 miles SSE of Ottumwa, IA) and camped there for two nights. Went into town on Tuesday to do genealogy research at the local library. Otherwise, we hiked and went swimming at the beach once, and ate Dad's camp cooking (about an even mixture of campfire vs. Coleman cooking). Stargazing before bedtime was also much enjoyed. The skies were very clear. We also saw a satellite go over.

Weather was great, mosquitos practically non-existent, and at the second campsite we saw deer at every meal. Since we were out during the week (and not the weekend) there were no crowds--it kind of felt like we had the parks to ourselves.

Came home yesterday in time to get my son back for his "welcome to school" picnic. We covered 831.3 miles total for the trip. I haven't tanked up since returning, but the one complete tank I used during the trip we averaged 23.2 mpg. That was probably about 80% non-interstate highway (slower) and 20% interstate. The MPV ran just fine, and can now be classified as 'dusty but trusty'!

Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re:Road trip reports Reply with quote

Took a weekend getaway up to St. Paul, MN to see my niece and nephew in a school play. The kids both had good roles, and did them well. It was fun to see them having so much fun.

Van drove great, though I am wondering if I am now noticing a slight vibration at higher speeds. It isn't there when the pavement is fresh smooth asphalt, but on ever so slightly rougher concrete I just seem to sort of feel 'something'.

Covered 714.5 miles on the trip. Got 22.6 mpg on the first tankful and 23.0 on the second. Trip average about 22.8 mpg. I won't complain about that!

Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re:Road trip reports Reply with quote

Did another trip to see my wife's parents on the Gulf Coast. Drove down to Gulf Shores, AL on 11/23/02 and came back 11/30/02-12/01/02. Total miles drive was around 2244.7. Our mileage (using nearest fillups to start and end of trip) was 2270 miles on 102.249 gallons working out to 22.20 mpg. No cargo box or roof rack on top. Just about identical to the 22.17 mpg we averaged in December, 2001 for the same trip.

Best price for gas was $1.189 in Scottsburg, IN and worse was $1.379 in Pace, FL. When I tanked up back at home today, price was $1.369. Favorite gas station was "Nervous Charlies" in White House, TN. I guess Charlie is nervous because in addition to gasoline, he also has a large fireworks stand. Grin Grin

Anyhow, we had a good trip and good weather for our visit and for our drive. Spent part of one morning watching the Blue Angels (from Pensacola Naval Air Station) practicing their routines as we lounged around the beach. Our son improved his swimming skills in the pool. It is fun to see him improve in just a few days of a visit. Seems progress is much more rapid there than at the Y where he takes lessons.

Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trip reports Reply with quote

Did another trip to the in-laws. Drove down in one day on 4/18, and took two days to come back (4/27 and 4/28).

Drove total of 2290 miles using 120.895 gallons of gas for a trip average of 18.94 mpg. Easily the worst we have ever done on a trip. About 1 mpg less than previous worse. Probable causes were having a cargo box on top, having my kid's bike on top, and driving higher speeds. In Alabama traffic was moving at 75 to 85 mph, and I normally don't drive that fast. I think that speed was fast even for what I have experienced in Alabama in the past.

Gas prices ranged from $1.299 in Franklin, KY to $1.569 at home. As luck would have it, the highest price is at home. Sigh.

In any event it was good to get away for a spring break trip.

Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Road trip reports Reply with quote

This past weekend I did a trip to the Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul) in the MPV and had a good time. My son and I left the Milwaukee area Friday morning (Mom had flown to her parents for Father's Day) and met my older brother in Madison. We took our time heading north, taking back roads for sight-seeing, and visiting a couple family history (our family) locations.

My son really enjoyed stopping at the location of the replica cabin
on the site of "The Little House in the Big Woods" where Laura Ingalls Wilder was born just north of Pepin, Wisconsin. Hard to believe such a large family could live in such a small cabin. We also stopped to view the arrow (or bird effigy) made from boulders placed on a bluff just north of there, but the lighting was poor and it was hard to make out.

We got to my younger brother's place Friday evening, and stayed there two nights. On Sunday, we went to my sister's in St. Paul for my neice's graduation (high school) party. Then we left to come home, visiting an aunt in Eau Claire on the way back.

The MPV ran just great. The one tankful I could measure on the trip delivered 23.3 mpg and I was quite pleased with that.

Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trip reports Reply with quote

Back on the board after being off for a couple of weeks.

We went to visit my wife's parents, leaving on Friday (8/1) and stopping in Chicago for the day to visit the Field Museum (Sue the dino and the Eternal Egypt exhibit among other things) and see the Tall Ships that were there for that weekend. We then drove to Bowling Green KY for the night (we were going to stop just south of Louisville, but the "Street Rods are in town" was the standard answer at all motels we checked until we were about 100 miles south of Louisville.

Got to Grandma and Grandpas Saturday evening, and found the door on the freezer in the garage had been left ajar for a couple of days. Spent a good part of Sunday pitching thawed food, defrosting, cleaning up wet carpets, etc.

But after that we had a pretty good visit.

I was impressed by the carrying capacity of the MPV. We went to the beach for three days with Grandma and Grandpa. The van carried five people, food for three days (including two coolers), clothes for five for three days, beach toys, walker, cane, oxygen generator, and three spare oxygen tanks, and various and assorted other miscellaneous items.
I was also impressed by the number of 2000+ MPVs I saw on the road. On previous trips I might see at most a half dozen in one thousand miles, on this trip several times I saw two within a minute of each other. The MPV is becoming much more common to see.

The stats: 2258 total miles using 102.669 gallons for mpg of 21.99.

papabear
MPVClub Posting Maniac
born again runner
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trip reports Reply with quote

Thanks for the report Dan and welcome back!
Rogelio (ro-hel'-lyo)
07 Ody EX-L w/navi&dvd
The other cars...

08 Nissan Altima Hybrid
Gebco
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trip reports Reply with quote

Our recent road trip was through the Rockies with 5 people, 2 golf bags, luggage, gifts, food, etc, etc, etc. With that area behind the 3rd seat there is lots of room.
Our MPV was flawless through the mountains. I was able to pass effortlessly going uphill. There was always enough power. Our highway gas mileage was about 29-30 MPG (in Canadian gallons) which is similar to our old Caravan which only put out 149 HP.

15 Town and Country
08 Town and Country Limited 180 000 km - Sold
02 MPV ES Midnight Blue 125 000 km - Sold
05 Kia Amanti - aka Old Man Car 68 000 km
96 VW Jetta GL 5 Speed Dark Green 105000 km - Sold

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Bob and Doug McKenzie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Driving Fun and Road Trips All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: