MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Average Lifespan Of 2000-2001 GF4A Transmission
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
01 MPV Guy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Average Lifespan Of 2000-2001 GF4A Transmission Reply with quote

I have a 2001 MPV that has been well taken care of for its entire life, and it has about 150k miles now. I'm wondering if others out there can report back here on how many miles their 2000 or 2001 went before experiencing transmission problems. I know this isn't an "apples to apples" comparison because of different variables (yes/no towing package, some owners live in hilly areas, some live in flat areas, some in hot climate, some in cold climate, etc), but I'm trying to get a rough idea of when I either need to start looking for a new van (I'm assuming the cost of a trans repair probably wouldn't be worth it given the age and condition of the van). I live in Michigan and my van is starting to show some rust, but thankfully it's not nearly as bad as others I see going down the road. My van has a factory towing package and the GF4A (four speed) trans was serviced faithfully at a local Ford/Mazda dealer by it's first owner. The trans fluid was changed three times in the first 80k miles (no filter change) and after I bought it at 85k miles I converted it to Amsoil synthetic trans fluid around 100k and also replaced the trans filter at the same time. Thanks in advance.
mpvinnig
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: Average Lifespan Of 2000-2001 GF4A Transmission Reply with quote

If it is not raced, it can literally last the life of the van.
12-1/2Ounce

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Average Lifespan Of 2000-2001 GF4A Transmission Reply with quote

Agreed. Ours is at (near) 400K miles and the tranny has been (too) untouched. With the care yours has gotten, I would expect many K's.
01 MPV Guy

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Average Lifespan Of 2000-2001 GF4A Transmission Reply with quote

Thank-you to both of you for those responses...they're very helpful. I'm eager to hear from others as well, so I'll continue to monitor this post. I have a friend that had (2) 05 Siennas and both went over 200k miles without any transmission issues. If it seems likely that my MPV will do the same, then I'm
more apt to continue nursing it along. Hypothetically, if I get a lot of responses like "our trans gave out at 175k" (or something similar), then I'll start shopping now for a replacement van because I have three young daughters and my wife uses it as primary transportation and I don't want them to get stranded. As always, thanks to all of you in advance...
loem01

PostPosted: Yesterday, 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Average Lifespan Of 2000-2001 GF4A Transmission Reply with quote

Our '01 MPV had just passed the 150k miles mark (bought new, original owner), and the tranny seems to be going just fine. Sometimes shifts are harder than the other times, but no issue so far. I had a tranny flush done at a dealer at around 70k miles, and did a ATF drain-and-refill with filter replacement by myself at around 140k. So far over its life span the MPV has been extremely reliable - no major repairs/issues except for a few items where I probably would chalk it up to normal wear-and-tear and/or "old-age" issues - leaks on radiator and possibly the exhaust manifold gasket (I hear ticking/tapping sound when the car is in gear and under acceleration). BTW we're located in the northeast so we do need to deal with the snow and road salts and all those weather related conditions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: