MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

'97 MPV 2WD - ball joints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manitoba mpv 2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: '97 MPV 2WD - ball joints Reply with quote

Jr e-mailed me @ work the week before last, with a distressing photo - the passenger-side ball joint had broken while he was parallel-parking.

On my advice, he got CAA to tow the old beast over to my house and leave it in the driveway.

I was not able to set the separated ball on top of the socket for the short drive back into the garage, and so did the work on that side in the driveway. Fortunately, it wasn't too cold considering the time of year.

Anyway, I was unable to remove the tapered shaft and ball from the steering knuckle, and had to remove the entire steering knuckle. I tried a press, and beating on both knuckle and shaft, and four types of penetrating oil - no way! My wife took the knuckle to a machine shop, and they removed it. Drilled it out? Not sure.

So then I took a vacation day last week, reinstalled that side, and backed the van into the garage. Yay, heat!

Figured if one side was gone, the other was not far behind, and ran into the same issue. This time, though, I did a bit more research, and found people consistently recommending this tool:

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ball-joint-separator/A-p8004135e

Bought it, and it worked great! (FWIW, it looks very much like the Mazda SST in the factory service manual.)

Changed the outer tie-rod ends at the same time, as the boots were shot.

The old beast is back on the road @ 335K km, and feels good.

Used Moog ProblemSolver lower control arms w/ integrated ball joints, and was pleased to see that (contrary to the boxes, which said 'Made in China') that they were made in Japan. Looked very OEM. Fellow canucks, I got these from PartSource.

Many Mazdas over the years, including two 1st-gen MPVs
allendavid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: '97 MPV 2WD - ball joints Reply with quote

You must continue at or near the vehicle to get service. Please remember that your membership pass is not negotiable. To secure family members are included, college assignment help reflect a CAA Partner Membership. For the money a day, you can increase the advantages of your membership to other members of your family.
manitoba mpv 2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: '97 MPV 2WD - ball joints Reply with quote

Mr David (Mr Allen?) -

Are you speaking on behalf of CAA?

If so, are you implying that my son was in the wrong to use his CAA membership to have his disabled vehicle towed to me for repair?

My wife and I are long-time CAA members, but will have to reconsider our membership if you are speaking on behalf of CAA.

Many Mazdas over the years, including two 1st-gen MPVs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 89-98 MPV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: