MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

My Mazda MPV is jerking while driving. Please help.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marcos77

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: My Mazda MPV is jerking while driving. Please help. Reply with quote

Recently for the past 2 weeks my Mazda MPV 2004 has been jerking while driving. It feels like it's going to shut off but it doesn't. It usually happens when I'm driving around 40 MPH but it also happens when I'm at a red light. It jerks for a second or two. That is the best way that I can describe it.

I have 110,000 miles on it. I never replaced the sparks plug on it. What could be causing it?

image1.jpg

image1.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 11495 time(s)

image2.jpg

image2.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 10788 time(s)

ponderosaTX

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My Mazda MPV is jerking while driving. Please help. Reply with quote

You will undoubtedly get responses from board participants who are far more knowledgeable than I am, but it sounds like a vacuum leak and the most likely culprit is a collapsed and leaking PCV hose at the right angle bend where it enters the back of the intake manifold under the cowling. If you search for "PCV hose" on this boad, you will find many matches. You may be able to put some duct tape over the leak as a temporary fix.

There are other possible sources for vacuum leaks and other potential causes for your symptoms other than a vacuum leak. The IAC (idle air control) valve and coils/plugs are common sources of misfiring problems (the IAC primarily affects idling). The IAC is accessible and relatively easy to clean. Moreover, you can get a new replacement from Rock Auto (among other sources) for less than $50. You can search for "replace IAC"; there may also be a walk through in the DIY section which is not covered by the search mechanism.

Your plugs are overdue for replacement (and many board participants choose to change coils at the same time, at least on the cylinder bank [Bank 1] under the cowling). Unfortunately, you have to remove the intake manifold (detach it and slide it out to way) to reach the "rear" (Bank 1) coils and plugs.

Is your CEL (check engine light) illuminated? If so, you need to the get codes read at AutoZone or Advance Auto. That would provide additional diagnostic information. (In fact, you may have a code pending that can be read even if you CEL is not illuminated.

My money is still on the PCV hose given the jerking at idle that you describe.
scross
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: My Mazda MPV is jerking while driving. Please help. Reply with quote

Was there a reason you attached these photos with the little markers? Do you need help identifying the marked components?
marcos77

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: My Mazda MPV is jerking while driving. Please help. Reply with quote

Thank you for the quick reply! The check engine light is not on. I posted pictures with colored areas as reference points. Based on these pictures where can I find the PCV hose? Is it visible from the top. I recently had the IAC replaced about 6 months ago at my Mazda dealership because my car was shutting off at low RPMs.

Thanks
scross
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My Mazda MPV is jerking while driving. Please help. Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the PCV hose on these vehicles is hard to see and even harder to get to. It's not visible in your photographs, because it is buried back behind the EGR valve (the blue dot near the top left of your first photo). The metal pipe (covered with braid) leading from the back of the EGR valve and going down to the exhaust is the EGR pipe; the PCV hose sits to the left of this, but should never touch it.

The PCV hose has been a endless source of trouble on the MPV. You can get a general idea of where it is by referring to the recall notice below. This recall applied to 2002-2003 vehicles, which have a long two-piece PCV hose. Starting in 2004 they moved the PCV valve closer to the firewall and started using a shorter hose, but the general location is the same. The clamped section of the hose is the hardest part to reach and the one most people have trouble with, unless they purchase hose clamp pliers like the ones shown in the recall notice.

http://mpvclub.com/recalls.php?id=17

Search around on the forums for lots more info on this hose, specifically on how and where it fails, keeping in mind that you have the shorter version of the hose.

Last edited by scross on Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
marcos77

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My Mazda MPV is jerking while driving. Please help. Reply with quote

Thank you for the quick response. I really appreciate it.

The recall notice mentions that you have to Remove the Battery, Air Cleaner Case, and Intake Air Hose to gain access to the PCV hose. Does this also apply to the 2004 MPV model I have? If not what will I have to remove to gain access to the PCV hose?
12Ounce
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: My Mazda MPV is jerking while driving. Please help. Reply with quote

Yes, removing those items will make access easier. I would also suggest removing the intake "upper" ... not only for access, but there is so much that can be cleaned between the throttle body and upper manifold area.
scross
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My Mazda MPV is jerking while driving. Please help. Reply with quote

I know things are a bit different on your 2004, but on my 2002 I didn't have to remove anything in order to get better access to the PCV hose (my only real difficulty was caused by not having those host clamp pliers). I don't have skinny arms but they are long, and with the engine cold I was able to reach directly over the top of the intake (angling in a bit from the passenger side) and around and under the EGR valve in order to get to the clamp, etc.

Removing the intake would make getting to the PCV hose easier, but this is a big job and should only be done if you are trying to get access to the rear coils, plugs, etc. You're sitting at 110,000 miles right now, and most people say the plugs should actually be changed out at more like every 50,000 miles, so it might not be a bad idea to go this route anyway. There is a sticky in the forums about tackling coils, plugs, etc. - lots of good info and photos there.
marcos77

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: My Mazda MPV is jerking while driving. Please help. Reply with quote

Thank you for all of the replies. I just noticed that the check engine light came on today. I'm going to try to locate the hose today to see if it needs replacing. I will keep you posted.

Thanks!
marcos77

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: My Mazda MPV is jerking while driving. Please help. Reply with quote

Awesome! I believe I found the PCV hose. I found it just to the left of the metal pipe with the braided hose. I was able to reach both ends of the PCV hose and I felt carefully for 30 minutes to see if I could feed any holes. The elbrows felt fine. They were not collapsed. The center part of the hose is covered with some type foam insulation so I was not able to feel that area.

Now I'm not sure if it could be something else that is causing the problem. Should I try to remove the PCV hose to inspect it more carefully? I attached two photos below of what I believe is the PCV hose.
marcos77

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My Mazda MPV is jerking while driving. Please help. Reply with quote

Here are the photos

engine1.jpg

engine1.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 8302 time(s)

engine2.jpg

engine2.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 8857 time(s)

Jipster
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My Mazda MPV is jerking while driving. Please help. Reply with quote

The center part of my 2004 pcv hose was slightly collapsed when I had it replaced. I'm looking at it now, there is no foam insulation... unless it was taken off when dealership had it replaced. If your hose is defective, I would bet it being more on a collapsed hose than a hole.

I'd check out that code asap if I were you. Free at Autozone and other auto part stores.

2004 MPV LX (Plus Pkg, Traction and Airbag Pkg, All Sport Pkg, Roof Rack, 108k miles) Cosmic Sand
1999 Buick Regal LS (Leather Pkg, auto climate control,alloys, 124,000 miles) Desert Sand
scross
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My Mazda MPV is jerking while driving. Please help. Reply with quote

Yes, it looks like you've found it. The hose can be damaged in such a way that's not at all obvious unless you are looking at it closely. In particular, if it cracks at the inside of one of the elbows (as it tends to do) then that can be almost impossible to see or feel unless you take it off. If it is simply collapsing then that may not be obvious either unless the engine is running.

A trick I've used before is to wrap the elbow in aluminum foil, putting it on as best as I can (working mostly blind) and then crushing it with my fingers so that it forms a reasonably tight seal. If there is a vacuum leak then that will tend to pull the foil into the leak and seal it temporarily, which should cause a definite improvement in engine behavior. Tape works great for this, too, if you can get it on without having it stick to everything else in the process.

As an FYI, I used the foil trick as a temporary fix for several weeks once, until I could locate a new PCV hose and got around to installing it. If I'd had the correct tool then this probably would have been a five minute job, max; as it was it took me more than a half-hour.
marcos77

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My Mazda MPV is jerking while driving. Please help. Reply with quote

I brought in my vehicle to Autozone for the Check Engine Light and they said that I have faulty Knock Sensor. Error Code P0327. Definition on the receipt says, "Knock Sensor circuit low input. Probable cause aa1. - Open or short circuit condition. aa2. - Poor electrical connection. aa3. - Knock Sensor failure.

They said a new Knock sensor would cost $99.99 for the part.

Is this something that I can replace myself? If so, where on the engine can I locate it and what tools would I need?
scross
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: My Mazda MPV is jerking while driving. Please help. Reply with quote

I've never dealt with it myself, but unfortunately it looks like the knock sensor may be the only sensor located at the back of the engine, under the PCV hose. Go back to the recall notice that I provided above and find the diagrams which have arrows pointing to the tie wrap. I'm guessing that the knock sensor is the connector and wire located just below those arrows (the arrows actually cross over the connector).

On the other hand, after doing some further digging it turns out that they may have installed this sensor on the front of the engine for some model years. (Or maybe there are two sensors - one for the front and one for the back - in which case I'd guess that your code refers to the back one.) Hopefully it's fairly easy to get to, in any case. See the diagrams attached to this thread:

http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=17913

Before replacing the sensor I would take a look at the connector to make sure it's just not loose, dirty, oily, corroded, or so on. It wouldn't hurt to try to disconnect and reconnect it, as sometimes this cures minor electrical problems. If the connector is dirty on the inside then try to clean it with a Q-tip or something before reconnecting it. Also check that the wiring itself is not damaged, as wires near exhaust components tend to get burned and/or short out on occasion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: