MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Cargo carrier on roof, between cross bars, on cross bars?
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philnotfil

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Cargo carrier on roof, between cross bars, on cross bars? Reply with quote

Never used one of these before. It seems like the lower it is mounted the less it hurts us on mileage. Can I mount this directly on the roof, between the cross bars, or does it need to be up on the cross bars?

(wife brought home a generic carrier she got from a friend, 3' x 4', just under 2' high)
alschnertz
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Cargo carrier on roof? Reply with quote

If it was me, I'd mount it as low as possible.
My first choice would be on the roof with retaining straps going over the carrier with the strap ends attached to the crossbars.

'06 MPV-LX, '10 Mazda3;
'60 Volvo PV544, '68 122S, '70 145S, '86 745T, '95 854T, '01 S40;
'84 Prelude;
'13 Ford Focus SE.
Pele

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Cargo carrier on roof, between cross bars, on cross bars? Reply with quote

I have found that it depends on your cargo carrier as to how much drag it creates.
Mine doesn't hurt mileage too much.

I have an older Yakima Rocketbox. It's almost as long as the roof of the van and about 18 inches wide. I mount it so that the tailgate has about 6 inches of clearance in the rear and so that I can just see the front edge of it out the windshield if I look up. (For fast food drive-through overhang clearance.)

I mount it on the crossbars so that I can open it witout undoing any straps.

I declined to purchase any of the boxy Sears X-Cargo units for the drag.

2003 ES - Coastal Blue Metallic - Side Airbags - Power Sliding Doors - Leather - Rear A/C (Original Options)

Self installed rear heat; heated mirrors, fog lights, large wiper bottle, Heavy duty wiper motor. Working on the whole 4-Seasons Package; Just need a transmission cooler.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: