MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

EGR removal on 2000-2001 Mazda MPV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jborge

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: EGR removal on 2000-2001 Mazda MPV Reply with quote

Well I cleaned my EGR last night. Passing on my experience.

I removed the battery, acordian and half the filter box to make enough room for the job. You might get it done with less.

Spray down the exhaust pipe nut with penetrating oil (liquid wrench). Let it sit for 15 minutes.

The biggest challenge for me was cracking the exhaust pipe nut. It did not budge. I used a cresent wrench, and put all my weight on it, no go.
By the way you are pressing the wrench down to loosen.

See utube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTvtuq2SIAk

It did not budge. So I took a blow hammer and tapped the cresent wrench 3 times and that did it. Noticed I used the word tap. There is only 4 inches to swing the hammer.

After removing the egr valve, unbolt the electrical actuator removing 4 bolts from the top. You now can push the plunger and see it operate.
Clean it out with carb cleaner. Run a drill bit through the EGR booster hose inlet, as it is gummed up for sure.

I blew some air through the EGR booster hose to make sure it was not gummed up.

The exhaust pipe is fragile, so don't move it around to much.

Last edited by jborge on Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:39 am; edited 2 times in total
crystalion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR removal on 2000-2001 Mazda MPV Reply with quote

Thanks for the info was looking into that for my 2000 this weekend
steve12955
MPVClub Resident
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: EGR removal on 2000-2001 Mazda MPV Reply with quote

Hello,

It's not necessary to remove the EGR to clean it. On my 2000, you can remove the top of the EGR using a stubby screwdriver. The part you need to clean comes off with the cover. Simply unplug the harness, remove the four screws and lift-off. This way, you're not having to wrestle with the pipe connection and risking snapping it off. The EGR is a simple electro-magnetic device and isn't a wear item.

If your car has 100K miles, it's more likely that the EGR port in the intake manifold is plugged solid with carbon. Replacing the EGR valve ($200+) will not cure a vacuum problem. The port is a semi-circle that is machined into the manifold around the throttle plate. While it's also possible to clean it by only removing the throttle body, I found it easier to remove the manifold and then separate the TB. Clean it with carb cleaner, a stiff wire and brush and EGR vacuum will return to normal.

Good luck,

Steve
jborge

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: EGR removal on 2000-2001 Mazda MPV Reply with quote

Steve,
What you want to clean in the inside of the valve where all the carbon from the exhaust builds up. The motor actuator you removed controls the plunger inside the EGR which can get stuck. Also if the EGR boost hose gets plugged you will a check engine light with an emissions related code.

The Motor part you removed is completely isolated from the EGR internals.

You have brought up an valid point about removing the motor actuator. This gives you access to the plunger spring that you can manually push. With the engine idle, pushing this down slowly should cause the engine to stall.

This is a stepping motor type actuator that 64 positions. My contour with the exact same engine uses vacume instead of a stepping motor to control the EGR.
steve12955
MPVClub Resident
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: EGR removal on 2000-2001 Mazda MPV Reply with quote

Hello,

I agree that removing the actuator provides more limited access but by operating the plunger and spraying /soaking it with cleaner I think you can get the chemical inside. Also you can clean the EGR internals by spraying cleaner through the orifice that's connected by a small hose to the boost solenoid. But, I found that even after cleaning it this way I still had weak vacuum at the boost orifice. That's when I discovered the plugged port inside the TB. With high miles (my '00 has 196K) the semi-circular channel in the manifold was clogged solid. After cleaning it, my OEM EGR system now works as it should and it consistently passes my state's emissions inspection (as recently as last month).

No doubt that removing the EGR will allow you to clean it thoroughly but I didn't want to break the brittle and expensive EGR pipe which hasn't been touched in 11 years.

With each oil change, I run a little carb / TB cleaner through the EGR orifice to be sure it's getting into the intake stream and keeping the channel open.

Good luck,

Steve
jborge

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR removal on 2000-2001 Mazda MPV Reply with quote

You are right, the ERG can be plugged at the manifold, which should be looked at when the EGR is removed. Mine was good.

As long as you leave the EGR bolted on the manifold when you crack the exhaust nut you are safe. After the nut is removed you unbolt the EGR with the two 10mm bolts.

quackpa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR removal on 2000-2001 Mazda MPV Reply with quote

steve12955:
I follow your instructions to clean EGR on my 2001. I unplug and remove the actuator. I also disconnect the small hose from a plastic coupler (the hose sticks to the extension. I poke the small tube of carb cleaner into the plunger spring, and spray while repeatedly pressing the plunger. I also poke into the small hose toward EGR, and pray several times.
I don't spray inside TB. Is this OK?
quackpa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR removal on 2000-2001 Mazda MPV Reply with quote

Thanks to steve12955! Below is his advice.
---
The easiest way to clean it is to pull off the rubber hose and spray carb or fuel injection cleaner while the engine is running. You'll know it's clean if the engine stumbles while spraying. If it doesn't stumble, the orifice, EGR or internal port that runs around the throttle body is clogged. If you have high miles then I suggest pulling off the throttle body assembly and cleaning the port when it's off the car. It's probably full off hardened carbon. A mechanic may tell you to replace the EGR - it's expensive - but if the internal port that feeds the throttle body is full of carbon a new EGR valve won't do anything. Good luck.
maz2000

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: EGR removal on 2000-2001 Mazda MPV Reply with quote

There are many threads on the topic of EGR and P0401 code. This is probably the most recent one (well 5 years old). Here's what I went thru recently with my 2000 MPV LX, at 191,500 miles

1. got P0401 code, alone, no other code. Insufficient flow.
2. wanted to avoid taking EGR valve off (afraid of breaking the pipe from exhaust to EGR)
3. the TB was cleaned in 2012. I sprayed from the vacuum port of the EGR valve, engine stumbles when I do, so I know my passage is not plugged. and I do have good vacuum at the port
4. After taking the top part (step motor) of the EGR valve, I realized what the real problem was. It's the plunger that is stuck closed. The plunger does not move freely. It's probably due to carbon on the plunger shaft that's inside the valve body.
5. I sprayed more from the vacuum port, also used PB Blaster from the outside where the plunger spring is, to free the plunger. Manually moved and rotated the plunger to get penetrate oil in, until it moves freely.
6. Then I applied oil to lube the shaft, and finally applied high-temp grease (silicon-moly grease) to the external shaft.
7. step motor coil resistence should be about 22 ohms, mine were 23.6. So the motor is good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: