MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Help! Trying to access steering rack bushings on '97 MPV
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manitoba mpv 2

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Help! Trying to access steering rack bushings on '97 MPV Reply with quote

Hi folks!

Just did a search, but have to admit I'm stumped on this one. I'm trying to change the original steering rack bushings on our (now my son's) old '97 MPV (326K km). I've removed the four 17 mm bolts that go in through the front, and have loosened the four that go in from the back, but fear that the protective plates ('steering brackets' in the FSM) won't drop out as the steering rack is bolted to them. The FSM is not that helpful, as it describes removing the entire rack. I don't need to do that (I hope) - I just want to get access to change the bushings.

Any of you who've done this successfully, please let me know exactly what had to be disconnected. For example, the FSM shows disconnecting the outer tie rod ends, but I don't know whether I need to go that far just to access the bolts that hold in the metal brackets that secure the bushings.

Thanks so much in advance for any help you can provide!

Many Mazdas over the years, including two 1st-gen MPVs
ctom3
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! steering rack bushings on '97 MPV Reply with quote

Hey Manitoba, you newbie you! Very Happy

Google works a lot better than the site's search function. It quit working very well after the site was hacked a few years ago. Using mpvclub, rack and bushings as search terms gave a couple of old posts from Gen1hawaii that I thought I had seen. There isn't much, but there are a couple of photos and they at least confirm that it can be done:

http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=7665&highlight=rack+bushings
http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=8305&highlight=rack+bushings

Good luck, I hope this helps.
Tom
manitoba mpv 2

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Trying to access steering rack bushings Reply with quote

Hey Ctom, thanks for responding! I hope you're well - it's good to see you're still active here. Yes, I'm a reborn 'newbie' here after having to re-register after getting locked out after a hack. And like you, I still miss my MPV, although in my case it's still in the family.

I'd done exactly as you did, and had read those posts earlier in the day, but they didn't tell me if I had to actually remove the rack (which looks like a lot of work).

I'm hoping Ed from Austin TX sees this - he's done this job in the last few years.

mpvclub65170

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Trying to access steering rack bushings on 97 MPV Reply with quote

Hey Manitoba,

You don't need to remove the whole steering rack.

Each steering bracket plate has 2 (17mm) bolts in the front, 2 (17mm) bolts on the back.

2 (17mm?) bolts secure the bushing around the steering rack and to the plate with a clamp that looks similar to a pipe clamp.

The bolts that clamp the bushing around the steering rack can be hard to see but are accessible from below.

Here are some pics.

Ed

DSC_3619.jpg

DSC_3619.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 132 time(s)

DSC_3614.jpg

DSC_3614.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 133 time(s)

2015-06-06 21.48.23.jpg

2015-06-06 21.48.23.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 130 time(s)

IMG_20150607_004354.jpg

IMG_20150607_004354.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 132 time(s)

2015-06-06 21.49.17.jpg

2015-06-06 21.49.17.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 133 time(s)

manitoba mpv 2

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Steering rack bushings on '97 MPV Reply with quote

Ed, thanks so much! So, the remaining two bolts (the ones that secure the clamps that hold the bushings) are accessible from below? That's great! That will save much time. Were you able to get a socket in there, or were you limited to using a wrench?
mpvclub65170

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Trying to access steering rack bushings on 97 MPV Reply with quote

I used a socket with a wobble end extension to break the 2 bolts.

There's enough room to remove and start the bolt by hand.

The bolts that hold the bushing in place aren't nearly as tight as the ones that go into the frame, luckily.

Ed
poptop
MPVClub Resident
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Reply with quote

As a heads up, on my 4X4 the two U clamps that hold down the bushings are two different sizes. Keep track which one comes off which side.
1990 4X4 V-6 5-speed
1991 2WD V-6
1994 2WD V-6
Scion Xb
A pile of old timing belts
mpvclub65170

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Trying to access steering rack bushings on 97 MPV Reply with quote

Also as a heads up, many curse words may be required to keep both halves of the rubber nubs in the hole in the clamp as you tighten them down.
Ed
manitoba mpv 2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Steering rack bushings on '97 MPV Reply with quote

Ctom, Ed, and Poptop -

Finally got to it this weekend. Did the passenger side yesterday and the driver's side today. (Poptop, I think on the 2WD the brackets were the same, but as I did one side at a time it was moot. The one thing to remember was to have the elongated hole toward the back, and when reassembling to start the front bolt first.)

Wow, what a bear of a job! I was able to get the front bolts on the clamp out with an ancient swivel-head spark-plug wrench and a short 17 mm socket. The rear bolts came out with a 17 mm wrench, moved about 1/64th of a turn about 10^6 times. Smile (I was unable to fit a ratcheting wrench in there - that would have helped immensely.)

Putting things back together was also fun. The passenger side was much more difficult as the position of the bushing is not marked on the shaft. I took a rotary fibre disc to the shaft to take off most of the rust to allow the new bushing to fit around far enough to allow the nubs to meet and be captured by the hole in the bracket. What helped a lot was to temporarily hold the bushing in place with a cable tie (which I cut away after).

The driver's side was comparatively easy.

The passenger-side bushing was pretty shot. The driver's-side bushing less so, but of course I changed it once it was apart.

Anyway, with 329K km on the van and lots of rusties underneath I think it's unlikely I'll have to do this job again. (But being me I had to chase the threads with a tap and reinstall w/ anti-seize anyway.)

Thanks so much for your input!

Once again I wish I could find a low-mileage unrusted '89 - '98 MPV - I'd snap it up in an instant. I feel like I could fix almost anything on the van now.

mpvclub65170

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Trying to access steering rack bushings on '97 MPV Reply with quote

Good idea with the zip tie. I struggled with keeping that bushing in place while tightening the clamp. That was with the rubber bushings though. I later replaced the rubber bushings with a blue polyurethane set from ebay and the passenger side was a bit bigger, so it went on easily.

The difference in the steering feeling between the rubber and urethane bushings is noticeable. I can hear them squeak during the winter months, but it's a tradeoff I can live with.

Ed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 89-98 MPV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: