MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Jack stands or Ramps?
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swiftturtle
MPVClub Resident
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:02 pm    Post subject: Jack stands or Ramps? Reply with quote

It's time to change the oil on the MPV and i was wondering what do people use when working under the car? Ramps or jack stands? I haven't had to work under the MPV, but on other cars I use jack stands.

Actually what are the jack points for the MPV? Question

2003 ES Coastal Blue Metallic
TeamEskimo
MPVClub Preacher
Yer walkin' the plank!
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Jack stands or Ramps? Reply with quote

Rhino Ramps baby! super

Actually, I used to jack my other cars to do oil changes, but the ramps are so darned convenient and quick...

Discussion on ramps here: super

Jack points are listed in the manual - just behind the front wheels and just ahead of the back wheels. I don't know if there are other points that can be used..

Brent

2002 Sunlight Silver LX - 63,000 miles - 4 Seasons, Luxury, Security Packages, Rear Air, Cassette, Roof Rack, Step Plate and Cargo Net
'03 Dodge Neon SXT - 84,000 miles
'98 Chevy Suburban Diesel 4x4 - 158,000 miles, 6300 lbs, 23 mpg - Big rig!
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Jack stands or Ramps? Reply with quote

I'm working on some info regarding jack points (for using a floor jack) and will try to get it posted in the next week or two.

For oil changes, if you have ramps they do just fine and are awfully convenient.

[b:a970de293f]Dan[/b:a970de293f]
2001 Rainforest Green LX (164,795 miles)--Minnie (The vacationator)
2006 Honda Civic EX with NAVI and 5sp MT (102,338 miles, new block at 89K) (Dan's daily driver)--Blue Car
swiftturtle
MPVClub Resident
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Jack stands or Ramps? Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
I'm working on some info regarding jack points (for using a floor jack) and will try to get it posted in the next week or two.

For oil changes, if you have ramps they do just fine and are awfully convenient.

That would be great. As for Ramps I don't own any, normally use jack stands and a floor jack. However I know where the jack points are on the ford.

2003 ES Coastal Blue Metallic
RpmQ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Jack stands or Ramps? Reply with quote

I recently rotated the tires and had trouble finding jack points. I eventually used the same type points found on the rails under my miata.

The problem I had, was my floor jack wouldn't raise the vehicles high enough to get the tires off the ground! It was maxxed out and about 1/4" too short to get the jackstand underneath the rail. Luckily i have a 'heavy duty' floor jack that could get it high enough to slip a jackstand underneath the van.

I also had to put both the jack and the jackstands as close as possible on those jack points, which worried me a bit but it was do-able.

'03 Black MPV LX - 4 Seasons, Fog Lights, Roof Rack
'97 Montego Blue MX-5 - Touring Package
Miata: http://www.rpm-design.com/mx-5/
MPV: http://www.rpm-design.com/mpv/mpvtemp.htm
Kiwimpv
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Gen1 Advocate
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Jack stands or Ramps? Reply with quote

Just bought some ramps so hope to get into more DIY work than before - surprising because of number of vehiclesI have... As usual, they need more weld in places and more paint overall... bought some synthetic but ended up buying Penzoil Full Synthetic as it was a 5L container - other (Mobil 1) was 4L and dearer. Will see how it goes for at least 5000km.

goggles

Graeme + 1 + 4
93 Efini V6 162km
87 Capella/626 1.8i 176km
My Weather Site
78 20ft Trlr Camper
Lazyfox
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Jack stands or Ramps? Reply with quote

If I have to go under a vehicle, I prefer to have it on ramps. That's what I do for oil changes.
-Dean

'00 MPV LX, Touring/4 Seasons/6CD, Emerald Green/Tan
'06 Ford Freestyle FWD Limited Merlot/Charcoal
Mobil1Pennzoil, Meguiars wax Klasse AIO Meguiars NXT Back to AIO.
YMMV.
Looking for a classic Corvette?
Corvette News
CheapScotsman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Jack stands or Ramps? Reply with quote

I got a pair of Rhino Ramp at Schucks Auto Parts for US$20 (on sale) about 6 weeks ago ...
Test drove a 2001, looked at 2002, finally got a CDN 2003 LX, Mid Blue, Alloy Wheels, Four Seasons, Towing Pkg, Roof Rack ... now at 71,000km
1982 Honda Civic ... now at 165,000km
1984 Honda Prelude ... retired at 280,000km
catbui99

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Jack stands or Ramps? Reply with quote

I thought about using ramps to do oil changes but someone told me when the car is at an angle not all the oil will drain. Is that true?
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Jack stands or Ramps? Reply with quote

Sure, there is a chance that a little oil stays in the pan, but it's minimal and shouldn't be a concern.

If you have a sloped driveway, you can face the vehicle down the driveway and drive onto the ramps. Remember to set the parking brake and block the wheels properly. clever

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()

Last edited by subearu on Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
catbui99

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Jack stands or Ramps? Reply with quote

ok, thanks. I guess I can go pick up a set at Kragen. They're on sale for $19.
Lazyfox
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Jack stands or Ramps? Reply with quote

catbui99 wrote:
I thought about using ramps to do oil changes but someone told me when the car is at an angle not all the oil will drain. Is that true?

Not exactly true with ours, as the drain plug is in the back.

-Dean

'00 MPV LX, Touring/4 Seasons/6CD, Emerald Green/Tan
'06 Ford Freestyle FWD Limited Merlot/Charcoal
Mobil1Pennzoil, Meguiars wax Klasse AIO Meguiars NXT Back to AIO.
YMMV.
Looking for a classic Corvette?
Corvette News
swkleiman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Jack stands or Ramps? Reply with quote

Can anyone take a photo of the area underneath a 2002 MPVand show me exactly where to place a hydraulic floor jack to lift the front and where to place it to lift the rear? I have read some previous E-mails on this topic but a picture is worth a thousand words.
Thanks a million
Steve
lazyfox_
MPVClub Posting Maniac
sleepless computer addict
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Jack stands or Ramps? Reply with quote

See attached drawing. Do not forget to block the wheels when jacking and make sure wehicle is leveled when lifting.
2002 Mazda MPV ES Sunlight Silver Zoom-Zoom
2009 MAZDA3 s Grand Touring 5-Door Stormy Blue Mica Zoooom-Zoooooom

[img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/cz.gif[/img:f9299cb053] [img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/usa.gif[/img:f9299cb053]

jacking_positions.gif - 20.37 KB
File downloaded or viewed 3192 time(s)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
swkleiman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Jack stands or Ramps? Reply with quote

Lazy Fox

Thank you for posting the picture
Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Do It Yourself All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: