MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

low-beam headlight bulb change on the 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Mazda5/Premacy Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manitoba MPV
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: low-beam headlight bulb change on the 5 Reply with quote

So the '09 Mazda 5 is said, in the owner's manual & FSM, to be equipped with either conventional halogen bulbs or 'xenon fusion' bulbs. The XF bulbs are said to be a dealer-only service item. :>(

Noticed a burnt-out low beam on the driver's side yesterday, and investigated as best I could in the dark without taking things apart. Based on the drawings in the FSM, it felt like I had the halogen bulb system rather than the XF bulbs - Yay!

Bought a couple of H7 halogen bulbs after work today and got to it after supper.

Problem #1 - It went well until I had to release the spring clip. I've done at least a dozen of these in the past, and this was by far the worst. Finally got it released and removed the old bulb.

Problem #2 - It looked nothing like the H7 bulbs I'd bought. GRRR! Wondered if the original bulbs had been replaced with something else, so tried installing the much smaller H7 but there was no way it would fit properly.

Finally realized the original burnt-out bulb was mounted in a strange plastic base. Removed it, and it was indeed the same as the replacement H7.

Transplanted the new H7 into the mystery base (that doesn't show up in the owner's manual, the FSM, or on the YouTube video I'd watched yesterday).

Problem #3 - Had a very difficult time reinstalling the new H7 in its base into the socket and closing the spring clip. During this process, it started to rain on me.

Finally got it just as the daylight really started to go. (I'm hoping I can do the other side in about five minutes, but that's a job for another day.)

Anyway, I hope this makes it easier for someone else.

Manitoba MPV

'82 GLC 1.5 5-speed ('82 - '95); '79 GLC Sport 1.4 5-speed ('87 - '89); '85 626 2.0 5-speed ('97 - '05); '90 MPV 2WD 2.6 5-speed ('96 - '01); '95 Bawngo GL Super 9 pass 2.0 5-speed ('03 - '04); '97 AllSport 2WD 3.0 auto ('01 - ?); '01 Protege 1.6 5-speed ('05 - '13); '09 Mazda 5 GT 5-speed ('13 - ?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Mazda5/Premacy Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: