MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

05' MPV LX stereo removal and wiring help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Audio, Video, Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frizdag

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: 05' MPV LX stereo removal and wiring help! Reply with quote

I'm wanting to hook up a small 8" sub just to fill out the factory stereo. Only I have no idea how to remove the stock stereo and what the wiring codes are for it. All I need to know on the back of the stereo is : GRND, REM, L+, and R+. Please give a shout out if you can help! Thanks!

-Kim

07' Mazda 3 S Sport - Metallic Gray
05' Mazda MPV LX - Razor Blue
94' Mazda 626 - Plasti-dipped white with metalizer and clear coat.. 263k miles and still going!
lazyfox_
MPVClub Posting Maniac
sleepless computer addict
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 05' MPV LX stereo removal and wiring help! Reply with quote

there is currently OEM sub on eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7991684380

http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=3408

2002 Mazda MPV ES Sunlight Silver Zoom-Zoom
2009 MAZDA3 s Grand Touring 5-Door Stormy Blue Mica Zoooom-Zoooooom

[img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/cz.gif[/img:f9299cb053] [img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/usa.gif[/img:f9299cb053]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
frizdag

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 05' MPV LX stereo removal and wiring help! Reply with quote

I see about the sub connector, but didn't see anywhere on how to remove the head unit. Also they refer to 02 and 03. Is the 05' different?
94' Mazda 626 - Plasti-dipped white with metalizer and clear coat.. 263k miles and still going!
papabear
MPVClub Posting Maniac
born again runner
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 05' MPV LX stereo removal and wiring help! Reply with quote

frizdag wrote:
I see about the sub connector, but didn't see anywhere on how to remove the head unit. Also they refer to 02 and 03. Is the 05' different?

The removal of the '05 unit is the same as the '02-'04.

Rogelio (ro-hel'-lyo)
07 Ody EX-L w/navi&dvd
The other cars...

08 Nissan Altima Hybrid
frizdag

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 05' MPV LX stereo removal and wiring help! Reply with quote

So it's the same on the years, but how do you do it? I've searched the crap out of this topic and maybe I'm just retarded but I can't find poo on it.
lazyfox_
MPVClub Posting Maniac
sleepless computer addict
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 05' MPV LX stereo removal and wiring help! Reply with quote

http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=4032
2002 Mazda MPV ES Sunlight Silver Zoom-Zoom
2009 MAZDA3 s Grand Touring 5-Door Stormy Blue Mica Zoooom-Zoooooom

[img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/cz.gif[/img:f9299cb053] [img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/usa.gif[/img:f9299cb053]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
frizdag

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 05' MPV LX stereo removal and wiring help! Reply with quote

Holy cow! You have to take the dash off to remove the stereo? Wow! Um.. Maybe I should rethink this. Shocked
papabear
MPVClub Posting Maniac
born again runner
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 05' MPV LX stereo removal and wiring help! Reply with quote

frizdag wrote:
Holy cow! You have to take the dash off to remove the stereo? Wow! Um.. Maybe I should rethink this. Shocked

The dash removal is only the front cover and it only involves two philip heads screws. The rest are pop off's that are really easy. It's not as complicated as it looks. Actually, the MPV access to the audio headunit is a lot easier than other cars because of all the room you have to work with.

Rogelio (ro-hel'-lyo)
07 Ody EX-L w/navi&dvd
The other cars...

08 Nissan Altima Hybrid
frizdag

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 05' MPV LX stereo removal and wiring help! Reply with quote

Ahhh....cool. Sorry to sound like a dork I just saw that diagram and was like, whoa! I've changed a lot of stereos in the past but nothing that required you to remove the entire dash. Good news.. Thanks! Smile
Mazda_Jim

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: 05' MPV LX stereo removal and wiring help! Reply with quote

I picked up that OEM subwoofer from eBay and installed it tonight. I thought I would share my experience because it was far from the plug-and-play experience I was hoping for. It turns out that the LX models (2002 at least) are prewired for both front and rear tweeters but, for reasons known only to Mazda bean counters, not for the subwoofer banghead. Lacking a ready plug, I used the plug and pigtail provided by the eBay seller to tap into the rear speaker leads and power supply (using the very helpful wiring diagrams provided by LazyFox on page 5 of this thread: http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=3408&start=60). Since the unused rear tweeter wiring is shared with the rear 6x9s, I spliced the subwoofer pigtail into those wires. This meant pulling both rear wheel well panels and running wires under the carpet from the right hand side to the left.

Getting power to the subwoofer was a simple matter of splicing into the wires that feed the auxiliary power outlet (thankfully) also on the left side of the van. This left one unused (white) wire on the plug. It is supposed to connect to a remote power signal from the head unit so that the subwoofer turns on only when the stereo is on. At this point, I was not feeling up to splicing into the head unit harness and running a line all the way from the dashboard to the rear compartment. I decided instead to simply plug this lead into the same 12V power supply that now feeds the main subwoofer power and the auxiliary outlet. I was concerned that having the subwoofer powered whenever the car was on or in the ACC position might lead to audible thumps and pops when starting the car or turning the stereo on and off, but that doesn't happen. Since the stereo is always on when the car is running, I don't think I'm losing much by not having the remote power lead connected.

Fortunately, the results were worth the unexpected amount of effort. This subwoofer may not compare to aftermarket gear, but it makes a huge difference in the richness and frequency response of the system. It finally has some noticeable bass. Since I had previously installed tweeters in the dash, the stereo now compares favorably to the Bose system in our Mazda6 (which has a small sub mounted in the spare tire). The stock 4-speaker system was pretty lame by comparison.

For LX owners, this upgrade is worth doing if you can get the subwoofer cheap ($50-100 used rather than the $300-400 dealers charge for a new one). If you're going to spend more than $100, you probably ought to go with a better-quality aftermarket powered subwoofer. There are some 6" and 8" models that should fit in the same space as the OEM unit. Next time, I think I'll just buy an ES to begin with Wink.

For posterity, here is a description of the wiring if you buy a used OEM sub and get the pigtail connector with it (definitely be sure to get the pigtail!). As usual, YMMV, use this info at your own risk, etc., etc.:

Main 12V power (H): Light green
Remote 12V power-on signal (F): White
Ground (J): Black
Rear left channel positive (A): Green with orange stripe
Rear left channel negative (B): Green
Rear right channel positive (C): Yellow with black stripe
Rear right channel negative (D): Pink

Letters in parentheses correspond to the connector diagram provided in the thread referenced above.

2002 MPV LX - Shimmering Sand, 4-seasons, Security, Roof Rack (108,000mi)
2005 Mazda6 Sport Wagon - Redfire Metallic, Grand Touring Package (114,000 mi.)

Previous Mazdas: 1986 B2000, 1994 Protege DX, 1994 B3000 Cab Plus (325,000 happy miles total)

Last edited by Mazda_Jim on Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
papabear
MPVClub Posting Maniac
born again runner
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 05' MPV LX stereo removal and wiring help! Reply with quote

Mazda_Jim wrote:
Next time, I think I'll just buy an ES to begin with Wink.

Or an LX with the All-Sport package!

Good job Jim, glad it's adding to the sound enjoyment!

Rogelio (ro-hel'-lyo)
07 Ody EX-L w/navi&dvd
The other cars...

08 Nissan Altima Hybrid
frizdag

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 05' MPV LX stereo removal and wiring help! Reply with quote

Mazda_Jim wrote:
This left one unused (white) wire on the plug. It is supposed to connect to a remote power signal from the head unit so that the subwoofer turns on only when the stereo is on. At this point, I was not feeling up to splicing into the head unit harness and running a line all the way from the dashboard to the rear compartment. I decided instead to simply plug this lead into the same 12V power supply that now feeds the main subwoofer power and the auxiliary outlet. I was concerned that having the subwoofer powered whenever the car was on or in the ACC position might lead to audible thumps and pops when starting the car or turning the stereo on and off, but that doesn't happen. Since the stereo is always on when the car is running, I don't think I'm losing much by not having the remote power lead connected.

I thought about this as well, but without the remote lead won't it put a constant drain on the battery? In turn shortening the life of your battery and possibly coming out to a drained dead car that won't start? Question

Mazda_Jim

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 05' MPV LX stereo removal and wiring help! Reply with quote

I decided to use one of the drawbacks of the auxiliary power outlet to my advantage. Both the front and rear outlets are powered only when the van is running or the key is turned to the ACC position. There is no power to that circuit when the van is turned off. Not convenient for many purposes, but it works out well for this application.
2002 MPV LX - Shimmering Sand, 4-seasons, Security, Roof Rack (108,000mi)
2005 Mazda6 Sport Wagon - Redfire Metallic, Grand Touring Package (114,000 mi.)

Previous Mazdas: 1986 B2000, 1994 Protege DX, 1994 B3000 Cab Plus (325,000 happy miles total)
samevo8

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: 05' MPV LX stereo removal and wiring help! Reply with quote

I've installed an aftermarket headunit that has a "power amplifier control" that turns on (12V) only when the head unit is turned on. Couldn't I just connect both the remote turn on (the white cable) and the main 12V (the mint green cable) cables to this "power amplifier control" lead?

I'm curious as to why there's both a "Main 12V power" line and a "Remote 12V power-on signal" line when I only need the subwoofer powered up when the head unit is on.

Thanks.
samevo8

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: 05' MPV LX stereo removal and wiring help! Reply with quote

I installed the factory subwoofer yesterday. Some notes:

1. I tried connecting the speaker inputs (both left and right channels) to the aftermarket head unit's RCA subwoofer output. Didn't work.
2. I tried connecting both left and right channel outputs from the head unit to the left and right inputs (which I tied together.) Resulted in static in the front speakers.
3. I disconnected the connection from the left speaker output (from the head unit,) and the static is no longer there.
4. I connected both the 12V and the remote power lines (on the subwoofer harness) to the power amp output from the head unit. Tested with a voltmeter and confirmed that the subwoofer only gets power when the head unit turns on.

To summarize, connections are:

Main 12V power (H): Light green -> Head Unit "power amp" output [1]
Remote 12V power-on signal (F): White -> Head Unit "power amp" output [1]
Ground (J): Black -> Head Unit "ground" output [2]
Rear left channel positive (A): Green with orange stripe -> Head Unit right rear positive output [3]
Rear left channel negative (B): Green -> Head Unit right rear negative output [4]
Rear right channel positive (C): Yellow with black stripe -> Head Unit right rear positive output [3]
Rear right channel negative (D): Pink -> Head Unit right rear negative output [4]

The down side is that the subwoofer will only play low frequencies coming from the right channel. However, I figure bass in a song usually plays in both channels so missing the left channel probably won't matter. I suppose if it bothers me, I could try to patch in from the left speaker (away from the head unit.) Perhaps tying both output channels too close to the head unit resulted in some signal interference.

samevo8 wrote:
I've installed an aftermarket headunit that has a "power amplifier control" that turns on (12V) only when the head unit is turned on. Couldn't I just connect both the remote turn on (the white cable) and the main 12V (the mint green cable) cables to this "power amplifier control" lead?

I'm curious as to why there's both a "Main 12V power" line and a "Remote 12V power-on signal" line when I only need the subwoofer powered up when the head unit is on.

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Audio, Video, Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: