MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

My 10 incher sub in OEM compartment (56K beware!)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Audio, Video, Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robzz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: My 10 incher sub in OEM compartment (56K beware!) Reply with quote

Hi, fist of all, excuse my english, I live in Québec and I'm french speaking.

here are some pic I took of my box hosting a 10" Alpine Type R. I mesure the inside volume using a big platic bag and fill it up with water. It gave me 11 liters, about .38 cubic foot. By adding accoustic stuffing, you can calcuate 20-30% plus volume so it's near the ideal .5 cubic foot recommanded by Alpine.

The reason I went with 10" is simple. I already had it from my previous car. I did'nt want to have a box bothering me and I wanted to save space (the guy has a minivan and he's saving space... Rolling Eyes ).

So here are the pics. I'll try to make a little plan with the mesurements soon.

I still wanted to carry my booster cable and found a way to fit in even with the sub. Actually, I have

-The sub
-A hydrolic jack
-robber gloves in case I change spare tire
-Booster cables
-Lock nuts and the key
-The OEM Mazda wheel changing kit
-A plug for the trailer's light.

Pretty tight but it fits!

Ok, the mesurements (all inches). I used ½" MDF all glued and holded togheter with 1" finishing nails.

Big Box seen vertically from the sub side. I basically made the box and cut the bottom to the size of the smaller box then glued them togheter.
Top :10 1/8
left 15 ½
right 9 ½
bottom 6
angle on right side 7 1/8.

Overall thickness 4 7/8.

Small box:

Top: 7½
Left angle: 3 3/8
Left: 8 5/8
Bottom:7 1/8
Right angle 4½
Right: 7 3/8

Overall thickness 3 3/8. Notice that there is no top on that box, the top being the bottom of the other box. So 2 3/8" wall with ½" bottom. I had to make 2 angle to clear the wheel well at the bottom and the angle in the car's metal. I could have cut them but did'nt wanted to minimize damage to the car.

The amp is mounted under the driver's seat. Again, a tight fit but it does fit. It's a 4 channels Alpine V12 4x50 watts. 2 channels for the front speakers and the other 2 are bridged for the sub. It makes about 120 watts RMS. So the system is not a SPL killer but that's not the point here. I wanted better low than just the front speaker and I got it!

Questions are welcome but being a parent of twins leave me not much time, so please be patient!

As I said, i'll try to make a plan but time is'nt on my side at the moment.

Enjoy and please share your opinion, good or not!

IMG_3652-small.JPG

IMG_3652-small.JPG - File downloaded or viewed 232 time(s)

smallsub-img-3605.JPG

smallsub-img-3605.JPG - File downloaded or viewed 226 time(s)

smallsub-img-3603.JPG

smallsub-img-3603.JPG - File downloaded or viewed 216 time(s)

smallsub-img-3609.JPG

smallsub-img-3609.JPG - File downloaded or viewed 222 time(s)

smallsub-img-3611.JPG

smallsub-img-3611.JPG - File downloaded or viewed 228 time(s)

Last edited by Robzz on Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:56 pm; edited 4 times in total
Foolish
Man of Many Mazdas!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My 10 incher sub in OEM compartment (56K beware!) Reply with quote

That is AWESOME!! Very well done!! I thought about trying to build into the back part of the space, but didn't want to mess with fiberglass, and didn't think of double-boxing it like you did. It almost makes me want to re-consider my plans.

Well done, and thanks for posting up info and pics. Very Happy

-Eric
'03.5 Protege5 - Tokico Struts, Eibach Pro-kit Springs, AWR 21mm rear sway, AWR adjustable endlinks, B&M SS, Injen CAI, Wagner Shorty Header
2010 Mazda5, 5-Speed Manual
'00 MPV LX - 3" CAI, P5 Wheels, MSP sub/amp setup in custom box, Tow hitch, 110,000+ miles, SOLD!!
Antzin Muhpantz
MPVClub Resident
Tame Race Driver
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My 10 incher sub in OEM compartment (56K beware!) Reply with quote

wowzers!! Shocked

niiiiice!! thumbsup

why oh, why couldn't i build a box like that?? banghead

I can see by what you carry
that you come from Barrytown!

2005 MPV LX Titanium Grey "Da KrazyBus" Alpine CDA 9851 reciever, Alpine MRP 240 four channel amp, Alpine S-Type 5x7 front, factory rear, 8" Dayton Quattro sub- and generous amounts of Steely Dan!
2002.5 Mazda Protege 5 Laser Blue, Moonroof, 4 Speed Sport AT, 6 Speaker Audio
Robzz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: My 10 incher sub in OEM compartment (56K beware!) Reply with quote

Just wanted to follow-up with the results.

I bought Pol-wool and fill the box with it. It sounded smoother and less "boxy" but still, the sub was'nt linear.

So using SoundForge, I made a CD with tones ranging from 20Hz to 100Hz in 5Hz increments. I discovered that my box really have a peak in the 40-55Hz zone. I just used the parametric equalizer to lessen that trait and I now have a very linear sub.

Just wanted to share that with you!
Kiwimpv
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Gen1 Advocate
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: My 10 incher sub in OEM compartment (56K beware!) Reply with quote

Very impressive engineering! And you can still use the space as originally intended too with the jack and tools etc. Very satisfying to finish something like that and get good results, especially if you could give it a series of test signals and monitor the result, and then use an equaliser to balance the sound for a linear response. Thanks for the photos and the detailed measurements - I am sure someone will follow your lead!

Kiwimpv

Graeme + 1 + 4
93 Efini V6 162km
87 Capella/626 1.8i 176km
My Weather Site
78 20ft Trlr Camper

Last edited by Kiwimpv on Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:42 am; edited 1 time in total
cpapashley
MPVClub Fixture
The Wonder from Downunder
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: My 10 incher sub in OEM compartment (56K beware!) Reply with quote

excellent piece of engineering there, fits well, and the sound has been worked out so again great pics, and I think this will definitely help a few who are thinking of similar fitouts for subs.
2000 MPV Seychelles Green 279,000 km
Custom Cold Air Intake, K&N Panel Filter
Custom Equal Length Headers and Y pipe
Hi Flow CAT, 2 1/2" with straight through exhaust....ohhhh it makes you smile......
MPV Club Sticker to finish off the package
Madbrad
MPVClub Fixture
B Y O plastic cutlery
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My 10 incher sub in OEM compartment (56K beware!) Reply with quote

Holy crap I never thought a 10" would ever go in there! Excellent work! However I will still not attempt such a feat.

MPV gone Sad
current: 07 Impala SS, 08 Grand Caravan SXT
mule

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: My 10 incher sub in OEM compartment (56K beware!) Reply with quote

as said above, that is AWSOME. very nice write up!
and let the minivan fun begin

'06 LX, Mica Black with the sports package
Robzz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: My 10 incher sub in OEM compartment (56K beware!) Reply with quote

Madbrad wrote:
Holy crap I never thought a 10" would ever go in there! Excellent work! However I will still not attempt such a feat.

The funny thing is that I never believed it myself! I was actually shopping for a 8" sub and even announced my 10" on local classified. My brother suggested that I at least try it since I was really having trouble getting a 8" (it's kinda rare here). As he said, trouble for trouble, try to built the box for the 10" 1st. That's what I did!

I just finished installing the other amp since I was'nt able to sell it. We're talking about 300 watts Alpine V12 Expert amp hooked-up to the 10" Type R sub. That's serious sound occupying minimal space! The two amps are under each front seats. They don't "breath" very well but I'm not driving them agressively. The other drawback is that they kinda crush a little bit the rear foot heater ducks, but since there the rear heater, I don't really mind.

Thanks everyone for the good words! It's good to see that at least a few people understand the feat! Let just say that DW is not really a mobile sound enthusiast and right now, she does'nt give a damn about a box hidden in the trunk of a car.... Maybe that'll change this summer when she'll drive windows down and sound up! Cool
cpapashley
MPVClub Fixture
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My 10 incher sub in OEM compartment (56K beware!) Reply with quote

Robzz wrote:
Let just say that DW is not really a mobile sound enthusiast and right now, she does'nt give a damn about a box hidden in the trunk of a car.... Maybe that'll change this summer when she'll drive windows down and sound up! Cool

It is sometimes hard to convince dw's of the untold benefits of these engineering feats. I empathise with you, but I am sure by summer she will be cruzin.... Cool Very Happy

This has started me thinking of moving the battery out the back there as there seems to be quite a bit of room. That would then make more room for engine mods Very Happy

Do you think there would be enough room for the battery?? overall width was just over 8" is that right?

Hi Flow CAT, 2 1/2" with straight through exhaust....ohhhh it makes you smile......
Robzz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: My 10 incher sub in OEM compartment (56K beware!) Reply with quote

cpapashley wrote:
Robzz wrote:
Let just say that DW is not really a mobile sound enthusiast and right now, she does'nt give a damn about a box hidden in the trunk of a car.... Maybe that'll change this summer when she'll drive windows down and sound up! Cool

It is sometimes hard to convince dw's of the untold benefits of these engineering feats. I empathise with you, but I am sure by summer she will be cruzin.... Cool Very Happy

This has started me thinking of moving the battery out the back there as there seems to be quite a bit of room. That would then make more room for engine mods Very Happy

Do you think there would be enough room for the battery?? overall width was just over 8" is that right?

Yes, there is a little bit more than 8" available if you get the black plate out of the way. The sub's box makes 8" in depth but I had to leave space for the sub itself that is "top mounted" so you can add 5/8" to ¾". One way to make sure it will fit is to built a cardboard box representing your battery.

Good luck with your power mods, I'd be glad to hear from it!
cpapashley
MPVClub Fixture
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: My 10 incher sub in OEM compartment (56K beware!) Reply with quote

Thanks for that confirmation. I can now add that to the list Very Happy
lxboy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My 10 incher sub in OEM compartment (56K beware!) Reply with quote

wow that nice work thumbsup do you get a lot of vibration
Redline1
ZOOM ZOOMM PPPPSSHHHHHHH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: My 10 incher sub in OEM compartment (56K beware!) Reply with quote

nicely done !! did you get any rattle Huh?

en passant bienvenue on commence a etre un belle tite gang du Quebec