MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

cleaning intake manifold 2000 mpv
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mpvinnig
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: cleaning intake manifold 2000 mpv Reply with quote

got code P1512.

I don't think its an electrical fault I think its carbon buildup.

I have never removed the intake manifold myself. Any precautions? Things to watch out for.

I guess I might as well clean the EGR and IAC.

The thing is since i love to cruise at 100 miles per hour I noticed that the mpv struggles to attain 100 miles but I can force it to reach 90. it never used to be this way before. I can feel the strain as it struggles to attain 75 and i then push it to 90.

If one doesn't do more than 60 miles per hour, one won't notice the vehicle has a performance problem.

I miss that exhilarating feeling when the RPMs hit above 3,300, the secondaries open and the vehicle noticeably launches forward...I used to feel it until about 3 weeks ago?

Everything else is fine with my mpv except this...

Thanks in advance

I have checked the entire forums... so many mentions of intake manifold cleaning -- but not even one walk-through...i promise if I can get some help...i will post a detailed picture walk-through to guide any other newbie
12Ounce
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: cleaning intake manifold 2000 mpv Reply with quote

You may want to start by removing the throttle body and gasket away from the intake manifold and cleaning the EGR passages you will find there. If this doesn't clear the issue ... continue to remove/clean the entire manifold.
greasyhands

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: cleaning intake manifold 2000 mpv Reply with quote

That code is for the intake manifold runner control. The cable broke on my 2001, had to replace the whole module/cable assembly. It is mounted right on top of the front valve cover, just follow the cable to the throttle body. I bet it is broken.
JSTJ704

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: cleaning intake manifold 2000 mpv Reply with quote

I just had the same code p1512. I fixed mine on my 01. This is what I did I seen the little plastic bushings that hold your control rod one was broke and the other one was sloppy. I went to Advance auto parts ask for Dorman part # 47099 it's that same bushing like from ford but ford whats 20 buck for 4 pack. you can go to advance auto and get them for 4 bucks or so for a 5 pack I got mine for $3.35 with military discount. They are not easy to install I used duct tape to hold little bushing to tip of my finger to install. Also have you removed the connector from your IRMC box if so remove again and look for any damage pins or opened more then it should and not getting a good contact it's easy to do reinstall the conntector .

In short terms when you get these code p1512 the dealer manuel points to a eletrical problam it has a monitor system and a action system for fuction.

I cleaned my intake last winter chem-tool cleaner was awsome for this.

Also have you lubed up where the cable conntects to the intake linkage system? try lubing it up and move it and lube.

To keep thing short check your metal rod bushings they can even pop out,break or be worn a bind.

Does p1512 trip e-light fast? This can tell me alot from what I know with out seeing it.

Do this simple test for me/let engine warm up have someone rev engine aove 3000rpm do you see the rod move and stay open? mine failed this test it was a simple fix crimp term 3 black wire on harness little to get a good contact fixed it. ( i had to rev my engine manueal from the trottle cable.

If you rev engine above 3000 rpm and rod doesn't open rev it and do the wiggle test on the IRMC while reving see if it opens and that will also tell you it's at the conntector.

If you need and help just PM me

I just had this problam 3 days ago and was glad it wasn't the 170 dallor part!!
mpvinnig
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: cleaning intake manifold 2000 mpv Reply with quote

I think these pictures represent the bushing you are talking about: http://www.fordf150.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=103904&view=next?

Am i right? I'll check my engine to see their condition and update, right now its too late to work on my engine.

Thanks for your detailed response
stamar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: cleaning intake manifold 2000 mpv Reply with quote

To answer your first question

It is not that difficult to take off the manifold.

Mine was all filled with pounds of tar. To clean it it would need to be immersed in a bath of carb cleaner.

I sprayed it with 3 cans and junk was still spilling out had to give up on the concept.

2000 white mazda mpv lx
mpvinnig
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: cleaning intake manifold 2000 mpv Reply with quote

my problem is those throttle cables, i am so worried they might be dislodged and then i would have problems moving the car - how did you handle those.
mpvinnig
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: cleaning intake manifold 2000 mpv Reply with quote

stamar wrote:
To clean it it would need to be immersed in a bath of carb cleaner.

I sprayed it with 3 cans and junk was still spilling out had to give up on the concept.

if i need to immerse it in a bath of carb cleaner how many cans would that be lol. that would be a lot of cash. is there no other way of cleaning the manifold?
stamar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: cleaning intake manifold 2000 mpv Reply with quote

Non aerosol it's sold in gallons.

Maybe a gallon of Lucas stuff

2000 white mazda mpv lx
mpvinnig
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: cleaning intake manifold 2000 mpv Reply with quote

12Ounce wrote:
You may want to start by removing the throttle body and gasket away from the intake manifold and cleaning the EGR passages you will find there. If this doesn't clear the issue ... continue to remove/clean the entire manifold.

I did this a few months ago, I don't remember when
mpvinnig
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: cleaning intake manifold 2000 mpv Reply with quote

i finally got around to clean the intake manifold

Here is the step by step procedure

I will provide pictures later, I know I might have gotten some names wrong, but i will sort that out soon:

Very Happy

1. Disconnect -ve battery cable
2. Remove the single 12 bolt holding the air box
3. Depress and remove the Hitachi boost sensor connector that seats atop the air box
4. Remove the hose that connects directly under the Hitachi boost sensor, so that I can take off the entire xxx hanging by the side of the airbox without having to remove everything else that hooks into it
5. Remove the entire xxx by the right side of the airbox and hang over the brake fluid connector
6. Loosen the 10 bolt holding the MAF housing to the accordion hose
7. Disconnect the MAF sensor
8. Remove the air box
9. Remove the filter under the airbox
10. Remove the connector that is wedged into the airbox before wiggling it out of the accordion hose
11. Remove the 10 bolt holding the accordion hose
12. Remove the hose that enters the accordion hose from the top from the top of the engine closest to the radiator
13. Remove the clips holding the two hoses that connect the IAC Valve to the accordion hose
14. Remove the accordion hose
15. Remove the accelerator cable bracket which is held by three 10 bolts
16. Remove the throttle valve connector
17. Remove the throttle body which is held by four 10 bolts
18. Remove the EGR valve which is held by two 10 bolts
19. Remove the connector next to the brake booster line
20. Remove the connector that plugs into the EGR
21. Remove the IAC Valve which is held by two 10 bolts
22. Remove the PCV Valve under the throttle body
mpvinnig
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: cleaning intake manifold 2000 mpv Reply with quote

Now my MPV refuses to start!

How do I troubleshoot?
mpvinnig
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: cleaning intake manifold 2000 mpv Reply with quote

My beloved MPV has started!

yea i had to seek outside help, but I knew that there is no way that taking off the intake manifold and returning it very carefully would destroy an engine

Turns out, there are two intake manifolds - the Upper Intake Manifold (UIM) which I just cleaned and the Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) which I did not touch!

My next DIY will involve the LIM

Here is my advice to anyone interested in doing the same - get a spare UIM and LIM from a scrapyard

This is why:

1. the gunk that builds up is so much that many have been known to soak it in a variety of solvents for days to take the carbon off!

2. You want a super clean UIM and a super clean LIM, and need to drive the car to work the next day? Then it cannot be achieved all in a day with the same UIM and LIM that came off the vehicle. Yea, you can clean it but you cannot clean it as well as someone who soaks it for days to two weeks on end

I will be back with detailed a walkthrough spiced with pictures for doing the same since it is sadly missing on this forum.

Took a lot of guts to do it.
Gmctrucks

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: cleaning intake manifold 2000 mpv Reply with quote

Seafoam does a good job cleaning the throttle body view videos on YouTube.
mpvinnig
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: cleaning intake manifold 2000 mpv Reply with quote

Yea i did clean the UIM but I am certain now its electrical from the IMRC box, i got all three codes P1512, P1518 and P1520 I think if i am not mistaken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: