MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

KYB+Vogtland= Awesome!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aha
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: KYB+Vogtland= Awesome! Reply with quote

Let me share you how happy I am with the way my MPV drives now after my KYB struts/shocks + Vogtland lowering springs, new strut mounts and bearings, vertical lower control arm bushings all were installed today.

First of all, I think original springs of MPV are super stiff, I didn't know my rear shocks were shot and one of my struts had a leak. Part of my ignorance is due to the fact that the van has only 72K miles so I used to think the suspension was still ok.

Anyway, I got the wrong KYB set, it's supposed to be for the 2003 MPV and below where the passenger side has lower bracket (instead of higher) for the stabilizer end link. So, be sure to get the right part numbers if you order KYB. However, a good shop will fabricate a bracket for you, again this is only for the front passenger side, the other strut and rear shocks are the same. Now, the beauty is that all these struts/shocks are made in Japan! Cool Not sure if the KYB for the 2004+ MPV are still manufactured in Japan.

With Vogtland, the drop is so minimal like 1.2" and the ride is softer but firm. I don't know how to describe it but it's so much comfortable now, braking has improved as well. I'm just so excited to drive my MPV again.

I know this write up won't do good without pictures, sadly my hands were dirty so I wasn't able to take many pictures. Sad
I hope my KYB will last a long time...

* 2016 Kia Soul EV
* 2012 Toyota Sienna LE
* 2012 Mazda 5 Touring with S&S - clear water blue mica
novalight
Administrator
A-spec Touring Edition
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: KYB+Vogtland= Awesome! Reply with quote

well clean you hands and take those damm pictures Very Happy
2004 A-spec Touring Edition (look it up)
instagram: Tangofury
Added Suspension: Carbing Tower Bar, TEIN Stechs, Airlift Airbags, Energy Suspension Bushings
Added Exhaust: Cherry BOMB Glasspack, 22" X 3" TIP
aha
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: KYB+Vogtland= Awesome! Reply with quote

regret not doing so but the shop was very busy yesterday, i even had to help out. btw, did u get the right kyb for 2004+ mpv when you ordered from justsuspension thru amazon?
* 2016 Kia Soul EV
* 2012 Toyota Sienna LE
novalight
Administrator
A-spec Touring Edition
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: KYB+Vogtland= Awesome! Reply with quote

everything went straight in what part number did u use
Added Suspension: Carbing Tower Bar, TEIN Stechs, Airlift Airbags, Energy Suspension Bushings
novalight
Administrator
A-spec Touring Edition
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: KYB+Vogtland= Awesome! Reply with quote

i just noticed they are made in japan funny tge wont bring in lowfer sports
aha
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: KYB+Vogtland= Awesome! Reply with quote

just found out they have the same price for 2003-below or 2004+, i thought there's only this one:

[/url]http://www.amazon.com/KYB-FRONT-REAR-shocks-struts/dp/B002T017K6/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1375300224&sr=8-9&keywords=kyb+mazda+mpv[url]

i do have old eyes Laughing on the side note, amazon page approved that this kit fits 2005 mpv Rolling Eyes

* 2016 Kia Soul EV
* 2012 Toyota Sienna LE
novalight
Administrator
A-spec Touring Edition
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: KYB+Vogtland= Awesome! Reply with quote

well time to complain to amazon, you can make an argument that you system said it would fit and it didn't, and maybe get a gift certificate Evil or Very Mad
aha
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: KYB+Vogtland= Awesome! Reply with quote

nah, amazon has been great - I can forgive them this time Very Happy
* 2016 Kia Soul EV
* 2012 Toyota Sienna LE
novalight
Administrator
A-spec Touring Edition
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: KYB+Vogtland= Awesome! Reply with quote

http://www.amazon.com/KYB-FRONT-REAR-shocks-struts/dp/B002T02QP6/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1375607017&sr=8-7&keywords=kyb+shocks+mpv+mazda+2004

correct one

novalight
Administrator
A-spec Touring Edition
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: KYB+Vogtland= Awesome! Reply with quote

I still don't see any pictures
aha
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: KYB+Vogtland= Awesome! Reply with quote

Laughing car hasn't been washed yet.... Wink
* 2016 Kia Soul EV
* 2012 Toyota Sienna LE
SilverMPnyc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: KYB+Vogtland= Awesome! Reply with quote

This is what mine looks like on the same setup after about 200 miles (enough time to settle the springs). The drop is supposed to be around 30mm front and rear - not noticeable from a bystander, very subtle. The handling and ride however has changed for the better. Firmer ride but not as harsh (the stock tokico shocks have a lot more compression dampening at the top of the stroke than the KYB's, which attributes a lot to this IMO). And this is on bombed out NYC streets - which I can guarantee can be as bad as the unpaved streets in developing countries.

Initial turn-in has of course less body roll, and the car feels more stable in mid corner. When it snowed last week, I could easily induce slides with left-foot braking (not recommended if you don't have experience with this), rally driver style Smile.

Before: using 225/55/17 tires

After: Same 225/55/17 tires, different wheels

Spring height differences front and rear:

Mounted up...

Some tips for those installing these themselves:

The Rears are very straightforward. Just remember to unbolt the rear calipers first and hang them out of the way as the rubber lines dont have enough slack when you drop the rear suspension. Jack the rear up at the center of the rear axle beam - once you have the rear on jackstands you can gradually lower the beam with the jack in order to decompress and remove the rear springs.

the front top mounts have a notch to keep the strut piston from spinning, just use a bar to keep the mount in place and a 21mm socket to loosen the top nut (AFTER putting the spring compressor on the springs!)

Grease up the front bearings while you already have the strut assembly apart.

The springs are very tall, incremental compression/decompression of the compressors are important.

2005 Subaru Outbact XT 6spd.

*RIP* 2004 Silver MPV LX
*RIP* 2003 Subaru Legacy L "Special Edition" -6 Spd. & ej205 swap vf23, 1993 Ford Taurus LX
aha
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: KYB+Vogtland= Awesome! Reply with quote

I actually like your BBS wheels, but I had my eyes for the 17" from Miata for the longest time (couldn't find used ones). Did I read your other post correctly that you put spacers for the Miata wheels to clear the brakes?

I feel I don't appreciate my Vogts enough - TEIN looks awesome but at the same time the more I look at my car with Vogts, the more I like.

OEM Springs/Shocks are too firm for me and the car was less predictable, everyone was complaining about the harsh ride and when I was about to change them to KYB/Vogts, I found out the rears were blown Laughing

Great job on changing them yourself and save money Very Happy

* 2016 Kia Soul EV
* 2012 Toyota Sienna LE
SilverMPnyc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: KYB+Vogtland= Awesome! Reply with quote

Yeah the mx5 wheels have a really shallow offset, the face of the front calipers rubbed on the wheels. 3mm is all you need, nothing crazy. I'm seriously thinking of getting new wheels... Again lol

the OEM socks have really High initial compression settings, hence the harsh ride. They were still harder to compress than the new kybs. I think Mazda tuned the suspension that way to give the van a sporty initial impression while still having the handling characteristics of a minivan. Now the suspension is relying more on the springs and less on the shocks.

2005 Subaru Outbact XT 6spd.

*RIP* 2004 Silver MPV LX
*RIP* 2003 Subaru Legacy L "Special Edition" -6 Spd. & ej205 swap vf23, 1993 Ford Taurus LX
novalight
Administrator
A-spec Touring Edition
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: KYB+Vogtland= Awesome! Reply with quote

aha - wait till u drop in that strut tower bar and watch the handling improve so much you will be cornering at a high rates of speed and control and boy will your eyes pop out of your sockets Shocked

Lower ride + Strut Tower = Awesome Handling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Suspension All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: