MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

O/D light flashing - Dealer says new transmission
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mpvlemon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: O/D light flashing - Dealer says new transmission Reply with quote

First post here, sorry it had to be negative.

Quick history, purchased 2004 LX from very nice private seller 3 weeks ago with 78,000 miles on it.

First week, classic misfire, was the #3. Had all the back 3 replaced with plugs by local mechanic. Car drove wonderfully for another week.

Get in for a drive to the beach, O/D light starts flashing and hard shift "shift shock" occurs in lower gears. Drive around for a few days and it comes and goes.

Finally buckle and go to dealership, they run codes, tell me car was reflashed in 2004 and so that won't help. Say it must be that the transmission is heating up and overheating. Only a matter of time before transmission fails. $3300 for a re-manufactured. I'm devastated.

I've owned the car for under a month, put $500.00 in for 3 back coils and plugs, had the rear brakes done, and now this.

Is there ANY possible other fixes I could try before I either:
A.) try to get refund from seller
B.) get my mechanic to do transmission for cheaper
C.) drive it until transmission fails completely
D.) drive it into the ocean

Any help would be really appreciated.
novalight
Administrator
A-spec Touring Edition
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: O/D light flashing Reply with quote

Pull the battery cable for 10 mins let the computer reset itself see if that helps, btw when was the fluid changed
Subject line to long

2004 A-spec Touring Edition (look it up)
instagram: Tangofury
Added Suspension: Carbing Tower Bar, TEIN Stechs, Airlift Airbags, Energy Suspension Bushings
Added Exhaust: Cherry BOMB Glasspack, 22" X 3" TIP
et16

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: O/D light flashing - Dealer says new transmission Reply with quote

Get some other opinions from other shops.
scross
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: O/D light flashing - Dealer says new transmission Reply with quote

Rule #1: NEVER automatically trust what the dealer says! Often they will quote a $$$ or $$$$ price for a fix, while the problem can actually be resolved (or at least mitigated) for $$ or maybe even $. Sometimes the dealer's intent here is to intentionally quote you a very high repair price - potentially one high enough that you will seriously consider buying a whole new vehicle instead.

In your case, the first thing to try is the computer reset followed by some transmission fluid maintenance, as already suggested. But don't be too alarmed by this issue; I've seen low mileage (barely driven) MPVs start shifting like crap one minute, but then be smooth as silk the next. I've also seen various warning indicators start temporarily flashing for no discernible reason. My gut tells me that they just never got all of the bugs worked out of the transmission computer's software (reflashes not withstanding), which is why simply resetting it often helps, at least for a while.

What codes did the dealer pull from the computer, BTW?
mpvlemon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: O/D light flashing - Dealer says new transmission Reply with quote

Thank you all so much for the ideas. Here is the latest update. The dealership suggested that the flashing O/D light was probably due to the transmission "overheating". Well that makes absolutely no sense at all considering that the problem happened today upon starting after the car had been sitting for over 3 hours. I hadn't even put it in gear yet. So there is no way it could have been because of heat.

I just bought the car less a month ago so I don't know when the transmission fluid was last changed but I think I am going to take it to my mechanic tomorrow and have him do it. It can't hurt and for 75$, it just might make the difference.

The dealership claimed to have reflashed it today, and honestly it has happened less since i left the dealership. I just took it out for an evening spin and it shifted perfectly about 98% of the drive. The O/D light flashed a few times but never in a consistent manner. So it is acting differently than it had been.

To answer your question, I didn't actually get a code from the dealer. My check engine light has been on for a few days because of a knock sensor error. I have to think that is unrelated, correct?

Can't tell you how much I appreciate the help on here. I am absolutely convinced that this does not require a new transmission (wishful thinking)

I'll let you know if the transmission flush helps at all.
mpvlemon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: O/D light flashing - Dealer says new transmission Reply with quote

One quick follow up question...

Do you think using a synthetic ATF like Mobil 1 would be advisable? It's a few extra bucks but I am happy to do it if anyone has had noticed improvements using it.

Thanks again.
brages

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: O/D light flashing - Dealer says new transmission Reply with quote

Here are a couple of things to try:

1) Driving at normal freeway speeds in 5th gear, punch the gas firmly but not quite enough to kick it all the way down into 3rd. Can the car downshift into fourth and hold fourth gear under strong acceleration, or does it rev wildly like it's in neutral and end up having to downshift all the way to 3rd? (this was the first evidence of our transmission failing)

2) Starting from a stop, floor the gas and go as fast as you dare. Does the transmission shift through all the gears without too much drama, or does it fall into a false neutral?

If the transmission is ever slipping -- revving wildly like it's in neutral -- then IMO the problem is internal. There is a way to fix some of the internal transmission problems without removing the transmission, but it's more of a DIY job; I don't think you'll find a mechanic who will be willing to try to do it.[/u]
scross
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: O/D light flashing - Dealer says new transmission Reply with quote

Pretty much all of the vehicle's sensors are interrelated, so a problem with one can affect behavior in many ways. (For example, the system even watches the fuel level in the gas tank and may change its behavior based on that. Who knew?) I would get that knock sensor checked out. It may be a simple malfunction, but if (for example) there is an electrical short in it or its wiring then that could be affecting the computer in some way. I do know from experience that when our MPV starts to knock (as it does on rare occasions), then that definitely affects the shifting behavior. (Now that I've mentioned it, this knocking is something that I should probably look closer into.)

I haven't had a chance to do much digging into the details on this yet, but according to the owner's manual a flashing O/D light indicates an electrical problem; it says nothing about overheating. The MPV appears to be very sensitive to voltage fluctuations, so a problem anywhere in the electrical system (including a dying battery) can cause issues. Many people here have lived through such problems.
bklynsoulja

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: O/D light flashing - Dealer says new transmission Reply with quote

i just had a similar issue. when i drive local my RPM would spike or hesitate which you can feel in the car also like a shift shock or hard shift in lower gear. Didn't give me any code til i drove in highway my O/D light flash and CEL came on and gave me a code of P0715. Changed THE input turbine speed sensor / pulse generator part # FU2B21550. mabe you should check the code again because you may have another code added on to the CEL. What the harm?
mpvinnig
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: O/D light flashing - Dealer says new transmission Reply with quote

I have also had the O/D problem and I have read merely every single post on it with mazda and Ford vehicles AND I can authoritatively tell you that your transmission is not overheating! REPEAT is not overheating!!

Have you run a scan - an OBD scan on the vehicle? Does it show you a P0715 error? Please read up on this error and o/d drive in this forum.

Also have you tried reproducing the problem.

Mine used to happen as soon as the vehicle hit 50km/hr (31.07 mph) or after the second gear change.

Then I started a series of experiments aimed at understanding what driving conditions led to its coming on.

I would accelerate very very gently and then so long as I accelerated very gently either it would not occur at all OR it would occur as soon as i hit 80km/hr (49.71 mph).

based on my noticing how and when it would occur, I changed how I pressed the gas pedal until I could drive without the o/d light coming up at all.

And it would stay that way for weeks on end.

I also noticed that if i came to a full stop or less than 16 hm/hr (10 mph) the O/D light would go off and then if i did hard acceleration it would come on.

With all these at the back of mind, I was able to know why it happens and prevent it from happening OR if it did come up, I knew just what to do to make it go.

Why am I saying all of this? A driver needs to be as familiar with his car as a mother knows her children inside out.

Your car has an electrical fault, and please please please don't even imagine that changing the transmission will cure it, cause I did change and it still came back.

The best you can do is to find this item and replace it on the transmission which is what i will eventually do: FU2B21550. its a pulse generator and it has a connection to the O/D light issue.

I hope this helps.

You can also use FU2B21550 to search google with/without O/D off.

See also: http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?p=189340&sid=146dfaac2d2e5bcdbb3f813923aa7943

http://repairpal.com/od-off-flashing-228

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123700035-quot-O-D-Off-quot-light-flashing

http://repairpal.com/automatic-transmission-diagnosis

http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?p=189340&sid=146dfaac2d2e5bcdbb3f813923aa7943

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080204102738AAm1XWS

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123781287-P0715-transmission-speed-sensor-question

http://forums.mazdaworld.org/100-millenia/61768-p0715-input-turbine-speed-sensor-what-location.html

Explanation of your symptoms (transmission not overheating): http://www.fixya.com/cars/t13470016-p0715_turbine_input_shaft_speed_sensor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: