MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

2012 Kia Sedona impressions
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: 2012 Kia Sedona impressions Reply with quote

"Vroom vroom" - that's my impression of acceleration. Thanks - I'll be here all week.

But seriously, we have now had the van for over a month and have nearly 1,000 miles on, so thought I'd post info for the curious.

We bought a new 2012 model Kia Sedona LX with the power package which gave us 16" alloys, power sliding doors, a homelink rearview mirror with integrated compass and back-up camera, and a little extra chrome on the grill and tailgate. It also has a stereo with Bluetooth for the phone, iPod integration, and Sirius satellite and a single CD player.

Price out the door was about $20k - it was their internet special (the last one they had in stock) and I did better than Edminds.com said I could - so happy on that count. The last I heard Kia is not making a 2013 version and will re-boot the Sedona in 2014 (though the salesman said he heard that they may get some more 2012). Most dealers within 150 miles of me had little/nothing in stock.

The dealer also threw in 4 free oil changes and some coupons for buying parts/accessories. I did not go for the extended warranty - but the standard warranty is pretty good. 5 years bumper-to-bumper.

Looks- it's white with a gray interior. This van isn't going to win first prize (or second for that matter!) in a beauty contest. But DW said "meh, we spend most of our time on the inside!" Smart, sensible woman Wink

First impressions:

Under the hood - good power Twisted Evil! At around 270hp it blows away the MPV's 2.5L for acceleration, and the 6 speed tranny trounces the MPV's 4 speed for making the power useful and the engine efficient. My wife really likes the extra zoom zoom, particular when getting on the interstate. It also carries a full contingent of adults without feeling like it's straining.

Handling is what I expect from a minivan. By now my MPV was feeling a bit loose (original suspension with almost 130k miles) so the Kia feels pretty good.

Road noise is comparable, and what I expect from a minivan.

Interior - The Sedona is slightly bigger than the MPV, so there is extra legroom all around. There is a tray between the front seats that can be folded down - but it is the first row's cup holders and is a useful tray, so we've been leaving it up. The kids appreciate the extra legroom in the middle row (they are both the tallest kids in their classes!). The third row is split 60/40 and tumbles back like the MPV. Nice to have it split for better load flexibility. Third row also has 3 headrests and 3-point seat belts for all positions and the well behind the third row is quite generous.

The dash is laid out well enough - some of the plastics are a bit hard, and I would have liked a leather-wrapped steering wheel, so I'll be watching for aftermarket products or looking for interior pieces from wrecked 2011-12 vans.

The power sliding doors are new for us and already feel like a luxury to have. I'm skeptical of their lifespan though, so hoping that if they are going to wear out it is in the 5 year bumper-to-bumper timeframe.

The headlights are halogen projectors that I may upgrade to HIDs at some point as I've done with my CX-7. I don't know if the car is pre-wired for foglights, I'll have to find a decent forum and ask around a bit.

I'll be adding a trailer hitch soon for light duty (e.g. bike rack) and will also be getting the front windows tinted before the summer sun arrives.

I'll try to update from time to time.

Rich. Dark. Deeply satisfying.

My rides:
'01 MPV LX
'97 Mercury Grand Marquis SOLD
'08 Mazda CX-7 Touring - my first turbo!
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 2012 Kia Sedona impressions Reply with quote

Dave,

Sounds like a good buy. The prev gen Sedona looked smaller but one of the negative marks against it was its weight compared to other minivans at the time. Apparently Hyundai/Kia was using different quality steel which was heavier - I don't know if this is a good or bad thing longer term. But I still see quite a few of them on the road.

Then: '79 Plymouth Horizon, '88 VW Fox Wagon, '92 VW Jetta GL (DW), '96 VW Golf GL (DW), '97 Jetta GLX - Green, '03 MPV ES - Blue Mica (DW)
Now: '15 Hyundai Elantra GT - Titanium Gray Metallic (DW), '10 Honda Civic Si - Polished Metal Metallic blake
ctom3
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 2012 Kia Sedona impressions Reply with quote

Dave, thanks for the review. My '09 Sienna now has 136k trouble-free miles on it and will probably have about 165k when I plan to get rid of it at the end of 2013. Chances are, I'll stay with a minivan even though the kids have been gone for over 10 years. Your review makes Kia a serious choice when the time comes. The end of year timing will be there, so hopefully I'll have the same luck you had on pricing.
aha
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: 2012 Kia Sedona impressions Reply with quote

Man, I forgot to look into Kia Sedona or its cousin Hyundai Entourage when looking for another van last year. I'm happy with my Mazda 5 but I'd get a lot more stuff for what you paid with the Sedona Shocked

But, at least I'm stayin' in Mazda family Cool

* 2016 Kia Soul EV
* 2012 Toyota Sienna LE
* 2012 Mazda 5 Touring with S&S - clear water blue mica
Dave
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: 2012 Kia Sedona impressions Reply with quote

5,000 miles in and we're still very pleased. Took a road trip to South Carolina last weekend and then a big one to Buffalo in a few weeks.

I do wish it had more power outlets in back.

The iPod integration is very nice.

Gas mileage is much better than the MPV - 2 extra gears sure come in handy.

My rides:
'01 MPV LX
aha
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 2012 Kia Sedona impressions Reply with quote

I heard the investigation on the Sedona with moonroof (most likely EX model) so I quickly checked yours is LX Cool I still consider a Sedona to be a smart buy in Sienna/Ody/Caravan crowd. 10 yrs/100K warranty - Cool
* 2016 Kia Soul EV
* 2012 Toyota Sienna LE
Dave
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 2012 Kia Sedona impressions Reply with quote

We continue to be happy with it....

My rides:
'01 MPV LX
metalfab
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 2012 Kia Sedona impressions Reply with quote

Great to hear the Kia is going strong. Nothing wrong with white, I'm liking the 1500 in white more and more. Scratches don't show up and minimal dirt is 'over-ridden' by the bright white Wink
2015 Mazda 5 GS w/CP
Mazda OEM rack w/Thule Atlantis 1600
Mazda 1.25" Hitch w/ Thule Helium Aero

Past: 2014.5 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2012 Mazda 5 GS, 2003 Mazda MPV DX
aha
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 2012 Kia Sedona impressions Reply with quote

I heard white color took over silver for the most popular color in US. I love white color cars esp. the pearl white on MPV.
* 2016 Kia Soul EV
* 2012 Toyota Sienna LE
Hangman
MPVClub Addict
The man without a plan!!!
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: 2012 Kia Sedona impressions Reply with quote

White and silver are my two favorite colors. We've own white or silver more than any other color.

The Sedona was on our short list of vans when we were shopping. The only thing that kept me from buying one was the resale value. It drops like a rock..

If you see spelling mistakes in my posts, its because Engrish is not my native language...

Hangman,

2015 Toyota Sienna L - His
2011 Toyota Sienna XLE - Her's
2007 Crossfire Limited Roadster 6spd - His
2005 Ody EX Sage Brush Pearl - The Grandparent's

2010 AMG S63 - Gone
2002 Mazda MPV - Gone
2002 Acura TL-S Gone
2001 Mazda Miata LS - Gone
metalfab
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 2012 Kia Sedona impressions Reply with quote

Hangman wrote:
White and silver are my two favorite colors. We've own white or silver more than any other color.

The Sedona was on our short list of vans when we were shopping. The only thing that kept me from buying one was the resale value. It drops like a rock..

Same with the Mazda 5, half the value after just 1 year. Embarassed Mad

2015 Mazda 5 GS w/CP
Mazda OEM rack w/Thule Atlantis 1600
Mazda 1.25" Hitch w/ Thule Helium Aero

Past: 2014.5 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2012 Mazda 5 GS, 2003 Mazda MPV DX
Madbrad
MPVClub Fixture
B Y O plastic cutlery
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 2012 Kia Sedona impressions Reply with quote

Sadly Kia doesn't offer the 10 year warranty in Canada.

MPV gone Sad
current: 07 Impala SS, 08 Grand Caravan SXT
aha
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: 2012 Kia Sedona impressions Reply with quote

I'm planning to hang on both my Mazdas 'till I die...because I'm scared of their resale value as well Wink

metalfab wrote:

Same with the Mazda 5, half the value after just 1 year. Embarassed Mad
Wink
* 2016 Kia Soul EV
* 2012 Toyota Sienna LE
ctom3
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 2012 Kia Sedona impressions Reply with quote

Dave! Are you out there? I hope that life is treating you well and that you made it through the holidays with health and wallet intact.

I am brushing this thread off and resurrecting it because I am curious how your Sedona is doing. I posted on this thread a year ago that I had a Sienna that I was going to hang onto for about another year and would look at another van when time came. However, I began to notice early signs of a tranny problem in April and replaced it with a Mazda 6. I've already put 20,000 miles on it. It is a decent car, but nothing to get excited about.

Anyway, I find I am really missing having a minivan and wanted to touch base with you to get your long term opinion of it and if you have had any issues.

Thanks,
Tom
Dave
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: 2012 Kia Sedona impressions Reply with quote

Sorry - missed the smoke signals that I was being called out on MPVclub!

We now have 22k on the van. Still extremely happy with it. Much better power and gas mileage and room compared to the old MPV. Wife loves the power sliding doors, which was part of the midlevel package we got. (backup camera, power sliders, rear heat/ac, allows)

Factor in the low price (we got the last 2013 on the lot at the time, and they didn't make a 2014) and warranty and we're even happier.

I was concerned that there was excessive wind noise in the front side windows, and a tsb was issued just last week! That has been my only issue.

My rides:
'01 MPV LX
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Off-topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: