MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

If you encounter an 'Error in posting' when you reply to a post, try keeping the Subject line of the reply under 35 characters or so.

p1455 & fuel gauge is intermittent on my '98 MPV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr2crazed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: p1455 & fuel gauge is intermittent on my '98 MPV Reply with quote

My CEL light came on (P1455) and right around that time the fuel gauge started dropping quickly. The code refers to the fuel tank level sensor circuit but the MPV still drives and runs the same.

Any ideas of the direction to go?

1998 Mazda MPV 2wd
2006 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner double cab
1991 Toyota MR2 non-turbo
ou812
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: p1455 & fuel gauge is intermittent on my '98 MPV Reply with quote

the best place to start, would be the sending unit itself. They have been known to wear down, or have a short. there is an access plate behind the pass. seat, in the floor. there is a good post on this site somewhere, about this, with good pictures. if I can find it, I'll post a link.
Maybe someday, A whole fleet of Mazda's !!!!
'91 silver MPV (comfortably resting)
'94 white MPV
"I want my, I want my, I want my MPV"
chaseNYC
MPVClub Addict
New '98 and feelin' great
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: p1455 & fuel gauge is intermittent on my '98 MPV Reply with quote

and to think i made a complete DIY about removing and replacing the sending unit, until the page got hacked and that among countless other valuable posts were lost.

knucklehead hackers man...

Green Machine (Green '97 ES) - 80K!

chaseNYC
MPVClub Addict
New '98 and feelin' great
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: p1455 & fuel gauge is intermittent on my '98 MPV Reply with quote

hope this helps...

1 - DEPRESSURIZE THE MPV! Locate the fuel pump fuse in the fusebox under the driver side kick panel. It's the 2nd blue 15amp fuse from the top of the fusebox. Remove that fuse and then crank the engine about 5 times at 10 sec intervals to ensure whatever pressure is left in the mpv has been removed.

2 - Remove the 2nd row bench seat. If you have captain chairs, remove both of them from the mpv. Oh yea, remove the top carpet if you have one.

3 - Remove the set of plastic clips that hold the floor carpet to the trunk carpet. Those clips are located in the 3rd row foot rest area. Cant miss them but they are the same color as the carpet. Remove those and this will allow you to pull the floor carpet towards the center of the mpv.

4 - Remove the 2nd row step panels to allow the carpet to be pulled back even further.

5 - You'll see two metal plates on the floor of the mpv. Look for the metal plate with the letter F on it. That's the location of the fuel pump and sender. It's just behind the front passenger seat. I believe they are 4 or 6 philips screws to remove the plate - can't remember.

6 - After removing the plate, you'll see about 8 small philips screws around the fuel pump cover. You'll also see a ground wire and two fuel hoses. With a pair of pliers, remove those two fuel hoses. Have a rag handy if in case some fuel happens to spill out of the hoses. Use the rag afterwards to plug the two fuel hoses to ensure no fuel drips from them. Unscrew that wire attached to the cover. Then remove all philips screws around the fuel pump cover.

7 - Tricky stuff here, if you can't tolerate the smell of fuel, grab something to wrap around your nose for a little bit. Grab a flathead screwdriver and GENTLY pry the fuel pump cover from the vehicle using more than one area of the fuel pump cover. There is a rubber gasket under that cover and you don't want to damage that gasket since the gasket will look virtually new and you'd want to re-use it.

8 - The fuel pump and sender doesnt lift out the vehicle as easy. You have to wiggle it a bit for it to come out as the line for the sending unit's barrel is somewhat long. Just work with it and it will come right out.

9 - I forget how the fuel pump and sender looks but I believe you have about 3 or 4 screws to remove the old sender from the pump to put the new sender on. You can tell how worn the sender is by removing the cap of that small metal box on the sender. You'll see the copper wire and where it may have gotten worn to the point of no return.

10 - Installation is in the reverse order of removal. When everything is put back together, you WILL get a cel code. Some barometric error or something. You will want to clear the code with a scanner. The code will not come back.

Pretty easy job! Took me about an hour and a half from beginning to end. And please, no smoking during this fix. We will all like to see you reply on the board after you've completed your mission of the fuel sending unit R&R.

Master Chief says good luck!

Green Machine (Green '97 ES) - 80K!

mr2crazed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: p1455 & fuel gauge is intermittent on my '98 MPV Reply with quote

Wow, thank you for the detailed instructions. I'll post back once I get it done.

I still have to order the part(s), sending unit and seal/gasket. According to the shop manual it suggests replacing the seal and not to re-use it.

1998 Mazda MPV 2wd
mr2crazed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: p1455 & fuel gauge is intermittent on my '98 MPV Reply with quote

My son is the primary driver for this rig and finally got around to replacing the sending unit over the weekend and works like a champ. I replaced the unit, gasket, reset the code and she's rolling again w/o the light.

Now onto the next project.

1998 Mazda MPV 2wd
cgrant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: p1455 & fuel gauge is intermittent on my '98 MPV Reply with quote

here's is a source for Mazda parts. I've bought Fuel Sender and Alternator from them no issues at all.

http://www.onlinemazdaparts.com/

also there are other genuine mazda parts discounters...Cush Mazda is one I believe.
I followed Chase's excellent write up and it was right on the money. My rear seat bolts were torqued rock solid so have a shade tree mechanics chunk of pipe or some sort of ratchet extension handy in case yours will not come undone.

good luck
cgrant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: p1455 & fuel gauge is intermittent on my '98 MPV Reply with quote

OK....I need to read ALL the posts thoroughly....the guy had already done the job. judge
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 89-98 MPV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: